Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah. And a lot of the mods add their own system to travel to so there's that. Pity that the Askonian system is kinda barren. Some pirates, a new faction that iirc doesn't really have (m)any new ships... yeah. Though it's the only play with Tugs in vanilla, as people have said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, I kept exploring hyperspace and never found anything, though I only went to the upper right quadrant.

Now that I have a decent fleet under me, can I get some advice on weapons? Are there some that are absolutely broken (good or bad) that I can avoid?

Also, I found a Tech Destroyer that has a Large Energy mount that is absolutely crushing everything with the Plasma Cannon + [Special that makes you do 50% more Energy damage at the expense of taking 100% more Energy/Engine damage]. It Overloads just about every Destroyer it comes across in the opening volley. It will get whacked against anything larger but I'm liking it way over my Medusa.

Anyway, I think I've got an idea of what I'm doing now so thanks everyone for the beginner advice. Now I just wish there was more to do besides pick fights with Hegemony battle fleets.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
Start throwing in the mods. You get more variety in opponent fleets, though its just more of the same. There looks to be some out of date mods on the forums with content, but 0.6 broke a lot of them.

There are no hidden areas in hyperspace. The fleets that are flying around to 'unknown' are just flying around randomly for you to pick off. Mods will add more systems, but they are just more of the same. Corvus with all the compatible 0.6 mods will be a pretty busy place though as almost all fleets are there.

Asking the people more experienced with modding the game, is there a way to increase the enemy fleet sizes over time? After a certain point, the only fleets that are a worthy challenge are the Hegemony system defense fleets with the 3 Onslaughts. I need more!

fake edit: I've found mention in data/scripts/world/corvus/piratespawnpoint.java, but I can't find where scout/raiders1/2/3/attackfleet/etc are defined.

edit2: Nm, found it. Its in data/world/factions/pirates.faction. Time to jack up the fleet values and add some super capitals in.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 22, 2013

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

FooF posted:

Yeah, I kept exploring hyperspace and never found anything, though I only went to the upper right quadrant.

Now that I have a decent fleet under me, can I get some advice on weapons? Are there some that are absolutely broken (good or bad) that I can avoid?

Also, I found a Tech Destroyer that has a Large Energy mount that is absolutely crushing everything with the Plasma Cannon + [Special that makes you do 50% more Energy damage at the expense of taking 100% more Energy/Engine damage]. It Overloads just about every Destroyer it comes across in the opening volley. It will get whacked against anything larger but I'm liking it way over my Medusa.

Anyway, I think I've got an idea of what I'm doing now so thanks everyone for the beginner advice. Now I just wish there was more to do besides pick fights with Hegemony battle fleets.

As far as large energy weapons, I've been having fun with the super long range laser beam, I forget what it's called. I'm sure it's more practical to go with a high DPS weapon like the plasma cannon, but I have it set on autofire and it's just so fun to aim towards the dots on the map and watch a huge energy lance start hitting them from 3 screens away. It's very flux efficient, too. If they close I have the two medium energy slots with cannons on manual fire, but it makes a fun non-missile sniping setup and works pretty well for pursuit battles, which is most of what I seem to get at this point.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

ECCM Package makes my missile loving self very, very happy.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

FooF posted:

Remember, you can open the big map in Hyperspace and the system map with Tab to see where stuff is.

The Destroyer you're talking about is the Sunder right? It's pretty good, yeah. I don't really know what to tell you about weapons since I usually play with mods that add more, but what I can recall of my original playthrough Ballistic Weapons are pretty good overall, though Needlers aren't that great (I tried a pair of Medium ones and they just plinked off armor, though I didn't use em much after that initial test so maybe they're better than I give em credit for?) For Missiles, the Annihilator Rocket Pods for Small and Medium mounts are good. Not broken (I think vanilla's pretty darn well balanced tbh, (~85 with extended missile racks), decent spread to make up for lack of guidance/tracking. On something like an Enforcer with 4 Small missile mounts it lets you unleash quite the barrage to overwhelm the enemy, and against slower cruiser/capitols which can't dodge as easy and their bigger size makes them get hit by more... yeah. The AI'd pretty good about firing them efficiently at targets so you can have them on autofire while you concentrate on things like your more pinpoint energy/ballistic weapons.

Oh, and the long range beam weapon with like 2500 range? Don't use it against shields. It does nothing. If it hits the hull though it's good at disabling systems and such. Still, quite expensive for a niche weapon and I think it's the most expensive energy weapon in vanilla in terms of OP, and since I'm a big fan of "brute force is best force" I didn't really use it much, preferring stuff like the heavy autopulse laser.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Needlers are kinetic so aren't designed for punching through armour, they are for building flux on shielded targets. They have better accuracy and are more flux efficient than autocannons but they're a lot more expensive in OP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

God drat but I am really really good at diving from halfway across the screen to intercept my own Piranha squadron's bombing runs. I mean I'll just come tearing out of nowhere in my Medusa, teleporting just at the right time, and will take an entire three-ship bombardment right across my own engines when it was aimed at an unshielded, unarmoured bit of enemy cruiser.

That said I am very much enjoying mucking about with Heavy Blasters on a twin-mount on that thing. I'll get like four shots off before I need to vent but if I can get behind something, those four shots are probably enough.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Scikar posted:

Needlers are kinetic so aren't designed for punching through armour, they are for building flux on shielded targets. They have better accuracy and are more flux efficient than autocannons but they're a lot more expensive in OP.

Aha. That is good to know. I remember in the combat tutorial they talked about missiles being for hull/armor, ballistic vs shields, and beams against both but the flux they cause is soft. Would have been nice to know that it's not tied to the weapon type but the DAMAGE type. Cause I've been using some ballistic weapons that have damage type [red sort of explosion picture] and they seem to do more damage to hull/armor than shields. Likewise I think the Sabot missiles are Kinetic so they'd be good vs shields but not hull I guess?

The game needs a better tutorial overall, honestly. Not just for campaign stuff to help with the meta of "sell marines, get Lasher" but for stuff like how you can mark a target in the command screen, so you CAN hang back and wait for your scouts to find the enemy and mark them, then fire the longer ranged missiles (Pillums I think they're called?). Not having a limit to have far the camera can go from the ship would be nice to let you watch them impact but... anyway. Also, game doesn't tell you that you move on the campaign map by left clicking and holding, and iirc it doesn't tell you how to press Shift to speed up travel time (which should also probably work in combat. Battleship halfway across the map? Nope, can't speed up to reach the enemy, gotta watch yourself slooowly move!) and that to interact with a thing you have to click on it, so you might think "Aha, a lone Buffalo! I will fly and touch it to initiate combat! ...why isn't combat happening oh god pirate carrier fleet lead by a cruiser" and that just sucks.

I'm tempted to do some kind of video for specifically this sort of thing but I have no idea how to do that and I'd probably do better writing a comprehensive guide.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Mods really bring out the game. After getting a Paragon and a Shadowyards carrier, with a bunch of little fighters, I thought maybe I could fight a Kadur Theocracy Cathedral Fleet. It was like 20 minutes of nonstop missiles, fighters, and lasers.

Ed: The map screen was cluttered with missile indicators. Everything was missiles all the time. In the grim darkness of the post collapse there are only missiles.

The Mimic fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 23, 2013

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
What do people put in their medium ballistic slots by default/for general purpose? I've been using heavy autocannons just because they look cool, but they don't really seem too effective. Along the save vein, anyone have a good loadout for the Eagle cruiser? Probably my favorite vanilla design but i can't seem to get a lot out of it in combat.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

The Mimic posted:

Mods really bring out the game. After getting a Paragon and a Shadowyards carrier, with a bunch of little fighters, I thought maybe I could fight a Kadur Theocracy Cathedral Fleet. It was like 20 minutes of nonstop missiles, fighters, and lasers.

Ed: The map screen was cluttered with missile indicators. Everything was missiles all the time. In the grim darkness of the post collapse there are only missiles.

Did the cathedral fleet have a Caliph? And more importantly, did you win?!

And yeah, I like missiles. :)

AtillatheBum posted:

What do people put in their medium ballistic slots by default/for general purpose? I've been using heavy autocannons just because they look cool, but they don't really seem too effective. Along the save vein, anyone have a good loadout for the Eagle cruiser? Probably my favorite vanilla design but i can't seem to get a lot out of it in combat.

I use the heavy mauler and hypervelocity driver almost exclusively (in vanilla). It was only recently though that I realised that ships won't fire non-beam weapons if it would put their flux over their maximum -- so now I also sometimes mount flak cannons. My favorite vanilla Enforcer loadout (the Enforcer is by far my favorite ship in the unmodded game) for example is 1 Hypervelocity Driver and 2 Heavy Maulers (or vice versa, if I'm going after tri-tachs or the like) in the three middle slots, 2 flak cannons in the two side slots, and missiles to taste (usually 2 harpoons and 2 sabots, sometimes all of one or the other, and occasionally a salamander)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

AtillatheBum posted:

I've gotten good results with the Heavy Mauler. On an Enforcer, three of those and two Dual flak cannons for PD works pretty well, since I'm pretty sure Maulers aren't Kinetic so they do better damage to hull and armor. Load the missile slots with Sabots I guess, for kinetic to bust shields, and you're golden, plus the dual flaks work wonders against missiles and fighters. For the Eagle, probably as many Vents as I could fit, then three Heavy Maulers in the ballistics and three of the medium-sized pulse lasers, since those seem to not be crazy flux intensive like most energy weapons. The 5 small slots would go to point defense, and if you have OP left over for missiles, pretty much use whatever you like best. I'm a fan of Annihilator rockets, but those big red torps (Reapers?) are pretty insane at 4,000 damage each. with Extended Missile Racks and some points into the Missile combat skill, you can easily get like 3 uses out of them while only costing 1 OP at 1 shot base. Though they are pretty slow (why does its speed say Very Fast, it's much slower traveling than any Ballistic or Energy weapon I've seen!) and don't track so you kinda have to either have an Overloaded/Flame Out enemy or get right up close to make sure they hit.

The Mimic posted:

Yeeees. More Kadur action. It'd be nice if they used more of their heavy ships though; even their big home defense/crusade fleets seem to have mostly destroyers/frigates, with the occasional Carrier Capitol or Sphinx cruiser. Would be nice to come up against a couple Behemoths led by a Caliph. Go Space Egyptians, go!

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

AtillatheBum posted:

From the vanilla weapons, Assault Chainguns were what I went with if it was a hardpoint medium slot. However, the Kadur mod has another option which are the twinned assault coilguns. Keep in mind that neither of these options do squat to shields so you'll have to find some kinetic options. The Hiigarian mod (homeworld) have Dual Chainguns that are fantastic at stripping shields at close range.

Overall, the Eagle isn't the best hull choice for assault purposes. Its a really good cruiser for taking out smaller ships, but don't look for it to do well against something its own size. I had mine as a rear guard mainly to protect my missileboats. I had it loaded up with Tac lasers, Thumpers and Heavy Blasters/Burst Lasers, missile slots empty due to the need for more vents.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Shoeless posted:

Yeeees. More Kadur action. It'd be nice if they used more of their heavy ships though; even their big home defense/crusade fleets seem to have mostly destroyers/frigates, with the occasional Carrier Capitol or Sphinx cruiser. Would be nice to come up against a couple Behemoths led by a Caliph. Go Space Egyptians, go!

I'm thinking I'll put a big "boss" fleet into the next update, the common sentiment here seems to be that there's a lack of really big capital ship battles. I'm also trying to puzzle together a script to let you play as a Kadur captain though, so no promises on when it'll be out.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
The storm needler is probably the most fun weapon in the (vanilla) game. It melts shields--pretty much any shields--with a torrent of metal.

Why did Alex take regional armor damage out of the game? I thought paying attention to which portion of the ship you were hitting was a good component of combat. Or is it still there and I'm crazy? The place where it used to show your armor coverage in the bottom left is empty for me now, and in combat, it seemed like enough hits anywhere would "pop" opposing ships' armor.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I have a fleet that consists almost entirely of Tri-Tach ships at this point, all loaded with beam weapons. This is just silly, beam PDs are so strong in large numbers that drones and missiles are more or less completely invalidated, and battles look pretty awesome. I managed to get an Odyssey class Battlecruiser and this thing has 10 (!!!) PD lasers on top of three Phase Beams.

My biggest complaint with the game now is that it's hard to find a fight when you have large ships in your fleet. It would be nice to have the option to bring a large ship in to combat against other similarly-sized fleets without losing burn from keeping it around for smaller fights. I'm not sure how to best accomodate for that, though.

Definitely a whole new game with mods, I can't wait for more mods to be updated to 0.6a

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Warheart525 posted:

The storm needler is probably the most fun weapon in the (vanilla) game. It melts shields--pretty much any shields--with a torrent of metal.

Why did Alex take regional armor damage out of the game? I thought paying attention to which portion of the ship you were hitting was a good component of combat. Or is it still there and I'm crazy? The place where it used to show your armor coverage in the bottom left is empty for me now, and in combat, it seemed like enough hits anywhere would "pop" opposing ships' armor.

No, it's still there, I guess your installation must have glitched a little I guess. :confused:

Edit:

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I have a fleet that consists almost entirely of Tri-Tach ships at this point, all loaded with beam weapons. This is just silly, beam PDs are so strong in large numbers that drones and missiles are more or less completely invalidated, and battles look pretty awesome. I managed to get an Odyssey class Battlecruiser and this thing has 10 (!!!) PD lasers on top of three Phase Beams.

Beam PD is pretty good, but flak/dual flak cannons are insane. :getin:

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 23, 2013

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Warheart525 posted:

Um. The little box in the lower left for me shows the ship I'm piloting's armor and shows the sections that have taken damage/lost it and those that haven't so... I would assume the enemies have that as well. Maybe try a fresh install if it's a bug? If it persists mention it in the bug thread.

The Good Professor posted:

I'm thinking I'll put a big "boss" fleet into the next update, the common sentiment here seems to be that there's a lack of really big capital ship battles. I'm also trying to puzzle together a script to let you play as a Kadur captain though, so no promises on when it'll be out.

Definitely. The Hegemony's 3 Onslaught fleet's pretty intimidating until you realize that you'll be facing them one after the other rather than at once and that your ship's generally sturdy. Having some big Kadur fleets to test how well you can do against ridiculous hull and armor would be nice. And starting as them? Man that would just be awesome. Slim pickings in the home system would mean you'd probably want to include some form of alternate income, like trade or mining, to start the player out, or fluff it as the player leading one of their first invasion/scout forces and make sure the player knows it so that they'll hyperspace out and head to another system to find prey. Or, with Mirage and the new anti-Kadur rebellion faction, you could have them be sending more frequent attacks into the home system, to give a starting pilot stuff to kill, though how you'd fluff them being small enough for a fresh captain with a single destroyer to handle I have no idea. I mean you don't just send a string of small fleets with big juicy transports into the front lines, not without good escort, and any fleets meant for combat you'd think they would have at least a Frigate leading 2-3 Destroyers.

So personally I like the idea of you being sent on the offensive as a scout into Corvus to see like how Tri Tachyon's doing since, if I remember from the fluff, they're enemies of Kadur, and just in general keep tabs on the rest of the systems. Just cause you don't want to expand and are comfortable as you are doesn't mean you have to be stupid enough to blind yourself to how the people who want to conquer you are doing. Though just scouting would probably not be hugely rewarding alone so again, some kind of mission/quest system where you get into a fight and have to then like... escape I guess, to count as having scanned their ships or something? Or dock with their station to like get copies of their orders for the near future to see if they're planning an attack. Then when you get back to home base if you completed the objective you get a cash reward or something. But this would be much more involved and require much more work than just adding ships and weapons and I have no idea if you want to work on something that complex.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
If you increase the battlesize, then the onslaughts will come mostly together. (Settings>Settings>Battle size slider). I've been poking around with custom enemy fleet sizes and I definitely had 4 Conquests at the same time with all the support ships.

Also, in the ship_data.csv file, what is the 8/6/5/4% field? Some mods have entries under it, other mods do not. I really wish there was more up to date documentation.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 23, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Gobblecoque posted:

Beam PD is pretty good, but flak/dual flak cannons are insane. :getin:

I'm not sure if I've ever succeeded in finding a dual flak for sale anywhere.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I usually go with kinetic damage ballistic weapons, since shields are tough to take down otherwise. If I have trouble against armor once the shields are down I just wait for them to go into overload or vent flux, then fire off some missiles.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Shoeless posted:

Aha. That is good to know. I remember in the combat tutorial they talked about missiles being for hull/armor, ballistic vs shields, and beams against both but the flux they cause is soft. Would have been nice to know that it's not tied to the weapon type but the DAMAGE type. Cause I've been using some ballistic weapons that have damage type [red sort of explosion picture] and they seem to do more damage to hull/armor than shields. Likewise I think the Sabot missiles are Kinetic so they'd be good vs shields but not hull I guess?

HE damage (red burst symbol) does 200% damage to armor and 50% damage to shields.

Kinetic damage (beige pointy shell) does 200% damage to shields and 50% damage to armor.

Energy damage (blue line into a burst) does 100% to everything. Only beam-type damage generates soft flux though; burst energy like pulse lasers and antimatter blasters still causes hard flux.

Fragmentation damage (tan/yellowish line into burst of arrows) does 25% damage to shields and armor. However I'm pretty sure they have AOE damage which, coupled with the fact they tend to be rapid firing and high DPS makes them best against small craft, missiles, etc.

All damage types do 100% damage against naked hull.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

GruntyThrst posted:

HE damage (red burst symbol) does 200% damage to armor and 50% damage to shields.

Kinetic damage (beige pointy shell) does 200% damage to shields and 50% damage to armor.

Energy damage (blue line into a burst) does 100% to everything. Only beam-type damage generates soft flux though; burst energy like pulse lasers and antimatter blasters still causes hard flux.

Fragmentation damage (tan/yellowish line into burst of arrows) does 25% damage to shields and armor. However I'm pretty sure they have AOE damage which, coupled with the fact they tend to be rapid firing and high DPS makes them best against small craft, missiles, etc.

All damage types do 100% damage against naked hull.

To add to this, beam energy weapons do 50% of their DPS as hit strength to armor, making them not as great as shot-based energy weapons like Antimatter and Heavy Blasters but still better than kinetics at stripping armor.

Fragmentation weapons with their high DPS due to their rate of fire are amazing at doing hull damage once armor's gone, which is something to keep in mind if you're in close with some Vulcan Cannons. :black101: It's kind of a niche case though, but I remember some people taking advantage of that in that "take down an Onslaught with a Buffalo II" challenge on the official forums.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
In addition to ordinary damage properties, armor also reduces incoming damage based on a comparison of the armor rating remaining in an area and the damage of each individual shot. This means rapid-fire weapons, with smaller damage per hit, are less effective against armor than weapons that fire fewer, heavier shells. Needlers will shred through shields and then do nothing once they finally go down. Hypervelocity Drivers are a bit less monstrous at just bringing shields down, but the higher per-shot damage means they can still do meaningful damage against armor even if they aren't necessarily the best choice (they also do substantial EMP damage, so you really don't want to take one to bare armor anyways, but that's not really part of this discussion).

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Can I modify how much supplies a ship uses and will it affect my saved game or do I have to start a new one?

I want to try some of these ships, but having one suck down 45 supplies a day is no fun.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Shoeless posted:

Definitely. The Hegemony's 3 Onslaught fleet's pretty intimidating until you realize that you'll be facing them one after the other rather than at once and that your ship's generally sturdy. Having some big Kadur fleets to test how well you can do against ridiculous hull and armor would be nice. And starting as them? Man that would just be awesome. Slim pickings in the home system would mean you'd probably want to include some form of alternate income, like trade or mining, to start the player out, or fluff it as the player leading one of their first invasion/scout forces and make sure the player knows it so that they'll hyperspace out and head to another system to find prey. Or, with Mirage and the new anti-Kadur rebellion faction, you could have them be sending more frequent attacks into the home system, to give a starting pilot stuff to kill, though how you'd fluff them being small enough for a fresh captain with a single destroyer to handle I have no idea. I mean you don't just send a string of small fleets with big juicy transports into the front lines, not without good escort, and any fleets meant for combat you'd think they would have at least a Frigate leading 2-3 Destroyers.

So personally I like the idea of you being sent on the offensive as a scout into Corvus to see like how Tri Tachyon's doing since, if I remember from the fluff, they're enemies of Kadur, and just in general keep tabs on the rest of the systems. Just cause you don't want to expand and are comfortable as you are doesn't mean you have to be stupid enough to blind yourself to how the people who want to conquer you are doing. Though just scouting would probably not be hugely rewarding alone so again, some kind of mission/quest system where you get into a fight and have to then like... escape I guess, to count as having scanned their ships or something? Or dock with their station to like get copies of their orders for the near future to see if they're planning an attack. Then when you get back to home base if you completed the objective you get a cash reward or something. But this would be much more involved and require much more work than just adding ships and weapons and I have no idea if you want to work on something that complex.

These are all great ideas and something like that is a long-term goal for me, but for now there's just an item you can buy for 0 credits at the Kadur orbital fortress that "converts" you to the faith and spawns you a little station in the Kadur system with a free spaceboat and lots of storage. :shobon: I got "boss" fleets in, though!

edit: VVVVV Any spaceboat you are issued by your new benefactors will be fully equipped, yes. As long as you survive your pilgrimage to the station where you convert, all should be well.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 23, 2013

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Perfect! Does the spaceboat comes with weapons/mods like a starting ship, or no because you already will have one by default to just get to the system in the first place?

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Did the cathedral fleet have a Caliph? And more importantly, did you win?!

I don't think there was a Caliph. On the other hand, it was really hard keeping track of things. The general strategy was to rush the larger ships and use my two large energy hardpoints with heavy plasma cannons on them to punch through the shields and armor. Fighting them is really an interesting experience; it's much different than fighting the Hegemony or the Tri-tach. I won, but it took three tries not to lose my carrier (and that little hope of winning) in the process. I basically had the Paragon acting as a bodyguard to the Shadowyards carrier, and the Kadur kept trying to rush past the paragon, resulting in some really interesting fights where everyone was being flanked by everyone else all the time. It's worth noting that I was level 25 and leveled up twice as a result of the fight!

That was the fleet. Basically the mod is amazing.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
I'm a beginner at this game and I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Is there any sort of beginners guide out there?

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

These are all great ideas and something like that is a long-term goal for me, but for now there's just an item you can buy for 0 credits at the Kadur orbital fortress that "converts" you to the faith and spawns you a little station in the Kadur system with a free spaceboat and lots of storage. :shobon: I got "boss" fleets in, though!

edit: VVVVV Any spaceboat you are issued by your new benefactors will be fully equipped, yes. As long as you survive your pilgrimage to the station where you convert, all should be well.

If you get a warning that says something like "Fatal error: [ms_Solidatiry_hull] not found," then you need to upgrade to the latest (0.4.2) version of Shadowyards.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So I installed that Hiigaran mod and decided to check out some of the ships in the simulator. Sajuuk-Khar class? Sounds like some weak rear end poo poo; I've got this :smug::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga3EeJtfti8&hd=1
Oh.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

The Mimic posted:

I don't think there was a Caliph. On the other hand, it was really hard keeping track of things. The general strategy was to rush the larger ships and use my two large energy hardpoints with heavy plasma cannons on them to punch through the shields and armor. Fighting them is really an interesting experience; it's much different than fighting the Hegemony or the Tri-tach. I won, but it took three tries not to lose my carrier (and that little hope of winning) in the process. I basically had the Paragon acting as a bodyguard to the Shadowyards carrier, and the Kadur kept trying to rush past the paragon, resulting in some really interesting fights where everyone was being flanked by everyone else all the time. It's worth noting that I was level 25 and leveled up twice as a result of the fight!

That was the fleet. Basically the mod is amazing.

Looks like their Carrier Capitol, a Behemoth, three Sphinxes, two Golems, two Targes, a Falchion, a Hauberk, and a bunch of small greeblies. So no Caliph, sadly enough.

Edit: So, what, you didn't notice it was worth 30 fleet points? That's generally a good sign that you're up against something big.

Kitan
Jul 18, 2008

Insert name here posted:

So I installed that Hiigaran mod and decided to check out some of the ships in the simulator. Sajuuk-Khar class? Sounds like some weak rear end poo poo; I've got this :smug::
Oh.

Holy poo poo that mod looks gorgeous.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
This game is too much drat fun.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Insert name here posted:

Oh.

Yeah I'm currently using one of the Hiigaran cruisers as my main "big ship" and the thing is just retarded. They're like 1/3rd the price of a Neutrino corp ship and the one I'm using came with 6 large missile slots and fast missile racks. All I have to do with it is select ships via the map, fire one salvo, instantly refresh the missile rack and repeat for everything else.

It overloads the destroyers/cruisers in pirate supply fleets in one round. It also has 8? small ballistics turrets and a handful of large/medium as well. For like 60,000 credits unfitted I probably shouldn't be soloing supply fleets.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Is there a mod that restores the pinging noise that missiles and ships made when they were in your sensor radius? I miss them.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

New Mantis sprite! New hardpoint configuration! Burst Jets!

I just took a lot of BRDY frigs on the chopping block. I wanna clean up how the faction works since I got to readjust a lot of things due to how 0.6a works anyway

Scarab lost Burst Jets and now has the Sentinel Drone instead. The Mantis has Burst Jets and a medium universal mount instead of medium missile (but don't worry, you can still rock 2x rockets on the front)
The Locust has a teleporter that "stutters" you in your current vector, which makes it a lot more evasive.

Currently, the breakdown is a lot like this:
Locust: Workhorse frig, good for chasing, point capping and overall combat duty, relatively undemanding out of combat. Like an inbetween of a Wolf and Lasher.
Robberfly: A pair of souped up engines and three weapon mounts tacked on to a reactor. No shield. Like a more aggressive Hound, except it hardly has any logistical demands/benefits.
Scarab: A slow, huge frigate with ample cargo hold and a very heavy weapons capacity, that is expensive to deploy, but beneficial to your fleet out of combat. Very slow CR decay.
Mantis: High-performance frig. Think Tempest, Hyperion.

Also, the Sentinel drone now has one Shard and one small Argus beam, the Krait has a pair of Ichneumons and a Shredder, and the Serket has two Linear Pulse Cannons and a Shredder. The Cetonia is going to fill a Mule-like role and a bigger freighter is in the works for civilian heavy lifting.

Also touched up fighter sprites:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 23, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Insert name here posted:

Oh.

I love how you dont even get to wing it with the hulk of your ship. Denied in every way imaginable. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
So, i'm trying out an LOTSA MODS combo - Shadowyards, Kadur, and Gedune.

Thoughts -

Gedune - Ships are fast, individually not amazing, but god help you if they flank you (hint: they will flank you). Spam cannon is my new go-to for Wolves med slot, but the rest of their weapons aren't incredible. Their shipyards aren't restocking for some reason, but i got two of their freighters and the fact that they start at burn-5 is very nice.

Kadur - haven't had a chance to try out their hulls yet, but their weapons are charmingly overpowered. A double-shot railgun with the same range and 60% more DPS than the HV cannon for 1 Ord Point less? Sure. Add the three new flavors of BVR railgun for the ballistic large mounts, and the AI in simulation just doesn't understand how not to die anymore.

Shadowyards - The weapons aren't amazing. I mean, the Twin CEPC is a lark, sure, and i'll stick it on because it looks prettier with the SHI color scheme than Yet Another Spam Cannon, but it's not great or anything. The hulls, though? Overpowered as heck; fast, great slot combos, and except for the weird fixation on phase cloaks, amazing hull abilities. I tried the one tagged as a Heavy Cruiser (forgot the name) in the sim and soloed an Onslaught. (also soloed a Conquest without taking hull damage)

Torpedos - I'm not sure which mod put them in, but there are like 5 new torps. Best of them is probably the Scythe Reaper, which trades 1k of the Reaper's 4000 damage for moving about 20 times faster.

Grievances -

This one is with Starfarer as a whole since the latest version, but nobody ever fights me anymore. I'm actually having a problem with SF i've never had before - i'm bored. Sure, i can gank a half-dozen pirate buffalos for $200,000 in supplies, but... why would i? All i'll have to do in those battles is five minutes of staring at my own ship as i feebly thrust after them, followed by two seconds of loving up their engines, rinse, repeat. I'm running around with a few destroyers and light cruisers, but nothing smaller than a battleship will actually oppose me instead of nope-ing right the gently caress out at the first sign of danger.

(And this is worse with the Gedune wolfpacks and Kadur rebel faction, who can run off the map before even frigates on deploy left/right can catch up with them)

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 23, 2013