Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

duTrieux. posted:

guild navigators solve the traffic problem because they don't just solve for the physics, they also literally peer through time

i wanna be a guild navigator

it'd be like living in a swimming pool full of cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sniep posted:

i wanna be a guild navigator

it'd be like living in a swimming pool full of cocaine

cocaine so good that you turn into a mutant

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Improbable Lobster posted:

thats fine whatev

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

oh so meth then

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Al! posted:

oh so meth then

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
can somebody else do the obligatory dune/breaking bad crossover joke here?

tia

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

tia

i am the one that knocks without rhythm

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

tia

the ricin must flow

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

i am the one that knocks without rhythm

lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

better call paul maud'dib

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hank shrayd rathua

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Albuquerrakis, desert planet.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

ol qwerty bastard posted:

except instead of the spice they have the sauce

get it? new mexico has massive alcoholism issues

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Less sci-fi and more sci-fuuucck, this looks like it'll be a good read:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/08/eric-schlosser-command-control-excerpt-nuclear-weapons

Could do without the Kindle edition being p. much equal to the print in price, though :mad:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Al! posted:

the episode where they discover that warp speed is destroying the universe, but warp speed is necessary to their society, so they all decide to not break warp six or whatever was dumb as hell and like yeah i get it

i think its assumed they eventually techno'd that away

ive mentioned it before but it REALLY bugs me that they had the story arc revealing that most sentient life in the galaxy (at least the big ones in the alpha sector) were all created by a benevolent ancient race billions of years ago and there was maybe 10 seconds of klingons saying w/e and the romulans saying oh well maybe one day we will be able to live in peace and the humans just standing around gawking at the message and then NOTHING

not a goddamn thing happens. it never comes up again. i dont mean the entire universe needed to change but SOMETHING would have been nice.

same with voyager finding out dinosaurs loving built spaceships and travelled to the delta quad before their extinction. what the gently caress.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

same with voyager finding out dinosaurs loving built spaceships and travelled to the delta quad before their extinction. what the gently caress.

the only way to watch voyager is half asleep at 11:35. that way you won't remember stuff like this

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

im just not going to watch voyager

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Picard is french, he could be wearing an even tinier bathing suit if he wanted

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Al! posted:

Picard is french, he could be wearing an even tinier bathing suit if he wanted

the audience demands it!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

in a perfect world picard is actually french and played by serge gainsbourg. he's always drinking and smoking unfiltered gitanes and having loud sex in his ready room. he even makes troi stay on the bridge and listen while he bangs lwaxana

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

im just not going to watch voyager

i watched year of hell a couple nights ago, it was actually pretty decent but then of course they had to go and push the giant reset button at the end

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Amethyst posted:

not sci fi but i finally got around to reading a john le carre book. tinker tailor soldier spy. good poo poo

should i read the rest of the trilogy?

late to answer but... kind of? The pacing was off and I really couldnt stand the protagonist (Westerby) by the end of the honourable schoolboy -- and I didn't really feel sympathetic where le carre seemed to expect sympathy -- but it wasn't absolutely dreadful, plenty of interesting intrigue and spy stuff. The London bit also seems tacked on after the fact some times.

Smiley's people is more 'in form' for le Carre and I really enjoyed it, so if you're ok with a mediocre second book I say read em. You could skip the honourable schoolboy but the events of SP are informed by THS so just power through it, it's not terribly long. Plus it gives some closure to the whole arc which is always cool

MindSet fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 23, 2013

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Less sci-fi and more sci-fuuucck, this looks like it'll be a good read:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/08/eric-schlosser-command-control-excerpt-nuclear-weapons

Could do without the Kindle edition being p. much equal to the print in price, though :mad:
just finished it, good stuff. most of it was known before, but this book assembled it all in one place and put it in order. i hadn't realized just how shambolic (in terms of technology and maintenance and training) our super high-tech strategic nuclear forces were. i'm sure it was even worse in the ussr.

the more you learn about events and leaders from 1945-1991, the more amazing it is that we didn't manage to ignite a globe-scouring nuclear war.

anyway, i hope there are more books like this. there have been very few retrospective books on the cold war, which is a weird gap because so many secrets have been declassified and the participants and decisionmakers have been free to speak for two decades. i'd love to read a detailed look at the reagan white house, now that its no longer a political hot-button and much of it has been declassified. able archer, farewell dossier, submarine cable-taps, the reykjavik summit, and ronnie's transformation into hippie peacenik - there's a hell of an amazing story there that no one's put together.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Al! posted:

oh so krokodil then

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

FMguru posted:

just finished it, good stuff. most of it was known before, but this book assembled it all in one place and put it in order. i hadn't realized just how shambolic (in terms of technology and maintenance and training) our super high-tech strategic nuclear forces were. i'm sure it was even worse in the ussr.

which is why its god drat hilarious everytime someone says "why is it taking 10-20 years to research and build a new plane?? we did that poo poo in 2 years during the cold war!!"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

which is why its god drat hilarious everytime someone says "why is it taking 10-20 years to research and build a new plane?? we did that poo poo in 2 years during the cold war!!"

hey who cares if we almost accidentally nuke ourselves from time to time
also please throw unlimited money at every mad scientist and see what happens again (this unironically)

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

tia

super late to the party but

the ice must flow

Dr. Mint
Jul 4, 2013

i use vlc on my mac to play my animes and it works fine sorry if you're experience is otherwise.
i finally finished watching babbylon 5 and the ending made me feel emotions i was very sad i will mis u john sheridan

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

rofl

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr. Mint posted:

i finally finished watching babbylon 5 and the ending made me feel emotions i was very sad i will mis u john sheridan
now you can watch the tie-in tv movies and the sequel series

do it

doooooo itttttt

learn the true meaning of despair

Dr. Mint
Jul 4, 2013

i use vlc on my mac to play my animes and it works fine sorry if you're experience is otherwise.

FMguru posted:

now you can watch the tie-in tv movies and the sequel series

do it

doooooo itttttt

learn the true meaning of despair

theres sequel series?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr. Mint posted:

theres sequel series?
crusade

also about six made-for-tv movies

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

cant stop staring at cap batch....

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

he's already an ugly fucker so turning into a space fish man isnt really a big deal

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Crasscrab posted:

he's already an ugly fucker so turning into a space fish man isnt really a big deal

at least im a fucker........

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

MindSet posted:

late to answer but... kind of? The pacing was off and I really couldnt stand the protagonist (Westerby) by the end of the honourable schoolboy -- and I didn't really feel sympathetic where le carre seemed to expect sympathy -- but it wasn't absolutely dreadful, plenty of interesting intrigue and spy stuff. The London bit also seems tacked on after the fact some times.

Smiley's people is more 'in form' for le Carre and I really enjoyed it, so if you're ok with a mediocre second book I say read em. You could skip the honourable schoolboy but the events of SP are informed by THS so just power through it, it's not terribly long. Plus it gives some closure to the whole arc which is always cool

Yeah, I noticed that the honourable schoolboy is a lot longer, which is usually a sign that the author has told his editors to gently caress off (a very bad thing).

maybe I'll read the spy who came in from the cold instead? thanks

Dr. Mint
Jul 4, 2013

FMguru posted:

crusade

also about six made-for-tv movies

and its actually good?? I remember seeing it when i was getting the episodes i saw but i figured the movies were just compilations of all the episodes or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr. Mint posted:

and its actually good??
ha ha no its poop from a butt

worse than the bottom-scraping season 5 of b5

• Locked thread