Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

As I mentioned above, I am also grandfathered in unlimited. I too am looking to grab an iPhone 5s. Where is this code you mention? They will give the unlimited $30mo. for 6gb plan for same price?

FordPRefectLL posted:

It's limited time. No specific time end date.

Pricing:

·  SFO 79398: $30 Loyalty Max 6GB

·  SFO 79400: $50 Loyalty Max 8GB with Mobile Hotspot

·  SFO 79399: $45 Loyalty Max 6GB & Corp Email

·  SFO 79406: $65 Loyalty Max 8GB Email/MHS

Might be worth it if you use less than 6 but more than 2, I guess.

EDIT: Just noticed a caveat. There's no way to do this if ordering online, you have to go to a store or an indirect.

Here's a quote I found a few pages back.

I was hoping I could get on this, but it's only for current unlimited customers :saddowns:. I was hoping to convert my 4gb $30 plan (through Amazon last year) into 6gb but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

film_critic
Jul 23, 2007

We don't go dancing at the club with babies. We go baby clubbing.

quote:

· SFO 79398: $30 Loyalty Max 6GB

This is what I gave the verizon employee and it was no issues.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I have an iPhone 4S that's over 2 years old and is out of contract. My mother has a 4 which is only a few months old, under a 2-year contract. I'm going to get a 5S, give my mom the 4S, and sell her 4. Can I just call Verizon and ask them to switch the phones on the account? Is it possible to sell the 4? Does it have to be unlocked or something first?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, yes, and no.

You can also switch the phones yourself. Activate your 5S, then on the 4S dial *228 and choose option 1. Enter the info they ask to activate it on your mom's line. After that, the 4 is deactivated, so on it go to Settings - General - Reset - and tap Erase All Contents and Settings to wipe the phone. Then sell it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm planning to do the "transfer upgrade" loophole in a couple months. Does the new device have to be ordered through VZW or can you get it through Best Buy or Amazon, seeing as their prices are typically better?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
best buy maybe, amazon most likely not (because of their secondary ETF)

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

bam thwok posted:

Okay, so to fit my new nano SIM card into the slot that my old GNex would use, what sized adapter do I need?

An adapter to go from nano Sim to micro sim (essentially small to slightly larger). I imagine the nano Sim has been used long enough to have a variety of adapters on Amazon, Monoprice, etc.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Dear somethingawful, please help me decide...

Do I do the line juggling to keep my unlimited, or do I use the above code to opt into the 6GB trade? My worry is if I do the former, the limited time offer for the 6GB will end and I will be poo poo out of luck next time I want to upgrade my phone and/or they completely end unlimited.

To sum up, if they completely pull the plug on the unlimited in the future, I may be stuck with 2GB.

Note: I currently do not utilize a ton of data on my GNexus. However when I get my 5s I will be able to use pandora with my car radio.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 23, 2013

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Fog Tripper posted:

Do I do the line juggling to keep my unlimited, or do I use the above code to opt into the 6GB trade? My worry is if I do the former, the limited time offer for the 6GB will end and I will be poo poo out of luck next time I want to upgrade my phone and/or they completely end unlimited.

To sum up, if they completely pull the plug on the unlimited in the future, I may be stuck with 2GB.

Note: I currently do not utilize a ton of data on my GNexus. However when I get my 5s I will be able to use pandora with my car radio.

Me personally, I would have gone for it if I never went over 6GB. But sadly, that isn't the case, so I have to stick with unlimited.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Does anyone have any experience moving to this 6GB plan who isn't currently up for an upgrade? I have unlimited but that particular line comes up for an upgrade next year due to past upgrade juggling.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Fog Tripper posted:

There's going to be similar or better deals in the future. Two years ago there was that double-your-data deal of 4GB for the price of 2GB or whatever it was. There will be other promotions. These things come and go. Two years from now if you're getting kicked off unlimited, there will be another tier that makes sense, or who knows; Verizon may add unlimited data to their share everything plan at a reasonable price. Stranger things have happened.

In my mind, the only reason not to preserve your unlimited data is if you find it too much of a pain to jump through the hoops to maintain it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Sad thing is 6GB is where $30 should have been to begin with.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mighty Horse posted:

Sad thing is 6GB is where $30 should have been to begin with.

Truth. If they had started there, I probably would have been much less tenacious about keeping my unlimited.

I'm still holding out hope that unlimited will come back once EvDo dies the death finally. At the very least, I'm content to do the upgrade shuffle until they make it impossible, at which point I'll jump to whichever MVNO provides the service I need at the time.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I was swamped at work yesterday but I did a bunch of testing in eROES and Iconic and I couldn't get the 6GB plan in any way that didn't involve doing an upgrade at the same time. Sorry 2GB folks.

I bought my new HTC One a little over a week ago and I've somehow used 18GB. Full retail price: Worth it.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

I was swamped at work yesterday but I did a bunch of testing in eROES and Iconic and I couldn't get the 6GB plan in any way that didn't involve doing an upgrade at the same time. Sorry 2GB folks.

I bought my new HTC One a little over a week ago and I've somehow used 18GB. Full retail price: Worth it.

Thats a lot of goddamn data. Do you tether and torrent or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the hell are you people doing with your phones?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I don't have cable TV or an internet connection at home, my phone is my main form of internet so I do tether a lot with it in addition to obtaining legal entertainment via Netflix and other sources.

I can't really justify having all that extra nonsense if I have an unlimited data plan with a super reliable connection.

EDIT: It's also faster and has better latency than the DSL connection available to my apartment complex.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 23, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If I had better Verizon coverage where I live I'd probably do that, or at the very least drop my cable ISP to the bottom tier for $20/month. One of the benefits of having your phone through a monolithic corporate entity is an unlimited data plan, but I barely break 1 GB/month of usage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Endless Mike posted:

I hardly ever get close to 6GB/month, but I like holding onto unlimited for 'just in case' situations, like getting snowed in for a week and being able to check local news over 4G without having to worry about going over allotment.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I hit over 12gb a month just from music streaming and YouTube, with some work emails with about 10-15mb attachments. You'd be surprised.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Yeah, streaming anything is the big data eater. Thankfully I have a short commute so even though I regularly stream Pandora/Spotify I hardly go over 1GB a month.

When I was overseas I decided to get the $25 200mb global roaming package, and it lasted me 12 days of google maps, chat, and random google searches/light web browsing. For the heavy users, it sucks that 99% of smartphone users use such little data because these low caps just don't affect them in any way.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Why is this question asked almost every goddamn page?

Who gives a poo poo what everyone does with their data?

I swear, every loving time I see "Man, I sure am glad I kept unlimited. I used <more data than one or two posters can fathom> last month!" it's followed by at least two "What do you do with your phone?!" posts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All I know is if FiOS and Netflix don't stop slapfighting soon, I think I'm going to be tethering my phone to run netflix on my TV. Yes, I know they are both Verizon, but the phone network never seems to have the same buffering problems with youtube and netflix that my home connection does.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

bull3964 posted:

All I know is if FiOS and Netflix don't stop slapfighting soon, I think I'm going to be tethering my phone to run netflix on my TV. Yes, I know they are both Verizon, but the phone network never seems to have the same buffering problems with youtube and netflix that my home connection does.

Try blocking the following IP ranges

173.194.55.0/24
206.111.0.0/16

Lots of people myself included have had issues with Netflix and YouTube buffering. As soon as I blocked those blocks I'm back to streaming 1080/720 with no buffering.

Now back to your regularly scheduled "I think I have a unique situation, but don't want to read the OP, how do I keep my unlimited" chat.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 23, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I did that awhile back and it helps youtube somewhat, but has done jack for netflix.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I work a remote job and often like to go work out of coffee shops or coworking spaces to be around other humans instead of my cats at home. So, I tether a lot. I pay for the unlimited tethering buy up.

Between that and streaming music, 15-20GB in a month is not uncommon for me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Endless Mike posted:

If I turned my WiFi off this month. I would be over 15 GB. 3gb just from photo upload and poo poo.

Hell I haven't even used any real streaming music this month. On 4g it goes fast.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

I also use very little data, but it's because my Galaxy Nexus' battery life is so bad. If I had a phone with a battery that would allow me to stream music or browse the web without taking the battery down 50% in half an hour, I would use a lot more data. I can only see myself using more data as time goes on and phones become more capable, so I keep holding onto unlimited.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not even the battery that's the main issue. LTE in anything older than the Snapdragon S4 is trash.

Integrated LTE is great, it actually uses less power than EVDO and is nearly on par with wifi.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone have an older VZW feature phone they might want to sell? I have a teenager that wants one, with a QWERTY keyboard cause she likes to text.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

kensei posted:

Anyone have an older VZW feature phone they might want to sell? I have a teenager that wants one, with a QWERTY keyboard cause she likes to text.

I may have an Intensity II in my drawer'o phones, I'll have a look around tomorrow.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Did you get on the free "trade in" promo HTC was doing for salespeople or did they not extend that to you guys?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bam thwok posted:

There's going to be similar or better deals in the future. Two years ago there was that double-your-data deal of 4GB for the price of 2GB or whatever it was. There will be other promotions. These things come and go. Two years from now if you're getting kicked off unlimited, there will be another tier that makes sense, or who knows; Verizon may add unlimited data to their share everything plan at a reasonable price. Stranger things have happened.

In my mind, the only reason not to preserve your unlimited data is if you find it too much of a pain to jump through the hoops to maintain it.

Thank you for the assistance. I think I've decided to simply get by with my GNexus for the time being. Fingers crossed that in the future they don't crack down on the upgrade shuffle for when I DO upgrade.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

SeaborneClink posted:

I may have an Intensity II in my drawer'o phones, I'll have a look around tomorrow.

Thanks, I have PMs so we can not clutter up the thread.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It was asked a while back,but I never saw the reply.

For the guy with the double data (4gb paying for 2gb) I am also in the cutoff for an upgrade.

Did you keep your plan?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I used an upgrade from another line in my family plan to buy a new phone. Can anyone tell me if I can just activate the device on my line without losing my unlimited data? The guy at the Verizon store said that trying to activate a device that was purchased with an upgrade on a line with unlimited data would remove it. Is there a special procedure I need to follow like activating the phone first on the other line then switching it over to mine?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You have to activate it on the non-unlimited line first, I believe.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I hardly ever get close to 6GB/month, but I like holding onto unlimited for 'just in case' situations, like getting snowed in for a week and being able to check local news over 4G without having to worry about going over allotment.

Just got this promotional email from Verizon:

"Hi Christopher, did you know you use less than an average of 2 GB of data each month? Upgrade today and get Verizon Max — 6GB of data for only $30 monthly access"

So, you're noticing that I'm using almost no data, so you're giving me a sweet deal on triple that amount data for $30 more? Where do I sign up? I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan

I'd consider using more if the battery on my old Droid Bionic 2 lasted more than an hour, too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just got this promotional email from Verizon:

"Hi Christopher, did you know you use less than an average of 2 GB of data each month? Upgrade today and get Verizon Max — 6GB of data for only $30 monthly access"

So, you're noticing that I'm using almost no data, so you're giving me a sweet deal on triple that amount data for $30 more? Where do I sign up? I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan

I'd consider using more if the battery on my old Droid Bionic 2 lasted more than an hour, too.

It's not $30 more. It would replace your current $30 unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not $30 more, it's the same price you are paying now.

It's honestly where the $30 price point should be in a tiering pricing model, but it's sure as hell not worth going to unless you want to go back on contract and get a new subsidized device. You are basically striking a bargin with them, allowing them to limit you at a cap that you probably won't mind in exchange for getting back on the subsidized device train.

Part of me is SUPER tempted to go that route, get a moto MAXX and I could probably sell my HD MAXX for near the upgrade cost. At the same time though, it's really not enough of an upgrade right now and there will likely be sweeter deals later.

With looming VoLTE in the next 3-4 months, I would say it's not worth going to a new device on verizon unless you are on a first gen LTE phone. It would suck to get a new phone now and then not be able to take advantage of the new features of the network for 2 more years.

• Locked thread