Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Most of this episode, actually. The original basically went Mikasa telling Eren that the world was cruel -> Eren coming to terms with it without getting crushed -> Titan Fight. All this reall good 3DMG stuff was added in.

That's really great. Filler episodes should be more like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Thumbtacks posted:

What part of this was anime only? Him getting poo poo on by buildings?
All of the stuff Mikasa and Armin did after they exit the tunnel, plus action Jean, Nile vs Erwin, and Hanji's Plan C. In the manga they never get out of the tunnel, threatening to is enough to get Eren to transform and falcon punch Annie.

EDIT: And yeah that was my kinda filler

Elotana fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 22, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It just seems like "filler" is the wrong word for it, it's just stuff added for the adaptation that still advances the plot and themes of the story. Filler would be if they spent an episode or 6 at a 3D Maneuver Gear Tournament arc or something and then that poo poo is never referenced again and doesn't do anything that affects the storyline.

It's not like the manga is a documentary, things have to be added and changed around to make a good show.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

What part of this was anime only? Him getting poo poo on by buildings?

In the comic he transformed right there in the tunnel because he saw the lengths Mikasa and Armin were willing to go for him and knew they would die if he didn't come out. The anime had Armin basically manipulate him into throwing away his humanity for the greater good which is an argument that I really don't think would sit well with Eren considering he's moved away from that sentiment over time and specifically said he disagreed with it in the forest expedition but w/e the anime has had spotty characterization for a while now. At least it looked cool.

Levi putting Niles on blast was all anime only too, so was everything with Jean and Hange, I think.

e: wow I was really slow, sorry.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah at this point its not filler, more like embellishment. Very GOOD embellishment.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

a kitten posted:

I love when you can look back and go "well how in the gently caress did I miss that?".

Then again, I don't know how many show-only people were surprised at who the Female Titan turned out to be since I've been reading the manga; the reveal there did pretty much catch me off guard, which is pretty silly when there were even more clues that should have tipped me off.

e: the link is just a manga panel showing a big clue for stuff you've already seen in the anime version, nothing new to worry about.

You could miss it because the Female Titan's fighting stance has not been shown until just now. She doesn't assume the position at any other point to my recollection, which makes me suspect that everyone in this thread who wer "Their fighting stances are identical :smug:" have been reading the manga.

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
Jean calling the MP "slackers" is my favorite part of the episode. :allears: That's some character development.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Seriously Safe posted:

Jean calling the MP "slackers" is my favorite part of the episode. :allears: That's some character development.

I took it more in a "thank god I'm not with those guys, if they were attacked they'd wouldn't stand a chance, they have no idea what to do" way.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Jean's probably had the best development in the series so far, but I wonder if it's all just been front-loaded and if it's going to pan out properly as the series progresses.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Jean's probably had the best development in the series so far, but I wonder if it's all just been front-loaded and if it's going to pan out properly as the series progresses.
Yeah, the show's clearly got some big plans for Jean but it's hard to tell what they are. Maybe he'll eventually co-lead the Survey Corps with Armin? He seems way too everyman to end up being a secret titan.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

snucks posted:

Yeah, the show's clearly got some big plans for Jean but it's hard to tell what they are. Maybe he'll eventually co-lead the Survey Corps with Armin? He seems way too everyman to end up being a secret titan.

These are 15 year olds, it will be a while before they get any commissions I hope.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

MeLKoR posted:

These are 15 year olds, it will be a while before they get any commissions I hope.

Ever see Battlestar Galactica? A schoolteacher is made President of Humanity by process of elimination because everyone else gets murdered.

Jean's going to lead the survey corps in the same way because there's going to be a huge survey corps ops that hinges on Eren A) Actually turning into a titan on time B) Not screaming "RIP AND TEAR" for thirty minutes and C) Not being kidnapped. This goes as poorly as you might imagine, congrats on your promotion Jean. Only difference is there's no murder machines that look human.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kokoro Wish posted:

You could miss it because the Female Titan's fighting stance has not been shown until just now. She doesn't assume the position at any other point to my recollection, which makes me suspect that everyone in this thread who wer "Their fighting stances are identical :smug:" have been reading the manga.

She actually does, but only for a very few brief frames during her fight with Eren. It's easy to miss.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Only difference is there's no murder machines that look human.

Uh, except for the secret titan? I mean, it's more "transform into a murder machine," but then again Annie kind of already is one.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Vermain posted:

She actually does, but only for a very few brief frames during her fight with Eren. It's easy to miss.

Yeah, but even before that there were people calling that. Hell, during the episode where she spins the dude around they were using that.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Kokoro Wish posted:

makes me suspect that everyone in this thread who wer "Their fighting stances are identical :smug:" have been reading the manga.

It's pretty much an absolute certainty that there are people who've read the manga, read spoilers or picked things up through osmosis coming in to this thread to make "speculation" posts.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
As a non-manga reader, I thought it was Armin's mother at first, but then decided it was Annie because of her fighting style. That and her eyes. Is that enough evidence?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

ActionZero posted:

It's pretty much an absolute certainty that there are people who've read the manga, read spoilers or picked things up through osmosis coming in to this thread to make "speculation" posts.

Oh yeah. One of our favorite pastimes in the manga thread is fuming about the ones who "speculate."
(Our most favorite pastime, though is :smug:ing at your legitimate speculation)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

ActionZero posted:

There are. There have been several people who post in the manga thread outright doing this, in fact, much to the rest of the thread's blistering rage.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yeah, but even before that there were people calling that. Hell, during the episode where she spins the dude around they were using that.

That's because when she did training she put Reiner on a string and spun him around in Episode 4.5!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bremen posted:

There are. There have been several people who post in the manga thread outright doing this, in fact, much to the rest of the thread's blistering rage.

If they're openly doing it, wouldn't that go against the no spoilers rules? I mean, they're not framing it as spoilers, but if they're posting in the manga thread and then "speculating" in here they should be banned solely for being so bad at deception.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

If they're openly doing it, wouldn't that go against the no spoilers rules? I mean, they're not framing it as spoilers, but if they're posting in the manga thread and then "speculating" in here they should be banned solely for being so bad at deception.

Zorak's probated a few people for being lovely like that, but I guess he doesn't consider it bannable.

There's also a problem with sending people to cat jail for spoiler speculation in the thread. Right now at least they're not having their "speculation" out and out validated, and probating those people certainly would do that, in itself spoiling the show for anyone who read those comments.

On another note, I've missed the last few episodes and am planning on marathoning the last part of the series with some friends and then going onto the season finale. How have the last 5 episodes been overall for animation and pacing?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

TheKingofSprings posted:

On another note, I've missed the last few episodes and am planning on marathoning the last part of the series with some friends and then going onto the season finale. How have the last 5 episodes been overall for animation and pacing?

I'd say you're in for a treat. They don't advance the plot at a fast pace, but it doesn't feel slow either; there's lots of action to keep things lively.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

The only word I have for animation and pacing is "wowsa."

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Here's a thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kinda mixed on the animation front. I thought episode 20 (I think it was?) was particularly bad with the animation but I hear the latest episode more than made up for it? Haven't seen it yet myself but the gifs don't look bad at all.

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 23, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Srice posted:

Kinda mixed on the animation front. I thought episode 20 (I think it was?) was particularly bad with the animation but I hear the latest episode more than made up for it? Haven't seen it yet myself but the gifs don't look bad at all.

The animation on the most recent episode was a loving home-run and genuinely some of the best animation I've ever seen in any series, ever. Ever ever. It also finally made the 3DMG stuff look genuinely plausible instead of "let's zoom around weeeee now watch me do Samus' screw attack!" like it was in the Forest of Giant Trees. Back to the earlier episodes' stuff with regard to zipping around like spiderman, but actually zipping around, except 1. the characters are more proficient with it (lots of what are basically really badass acrobatics going on, check the gifs for some examples but imagine what they look like at full framerate in HD!) and 2. the animators are so good at this now. It feels like 20 was a budget saver so they could go all out in this and what I presume will be the similarly well animated finale for this season. Which I can't wait to see.

Also, this is the OST of the year in my opinion, whole thing is one long gently caress-yeah. Videogame composers could learn a thing or two. I'd have felt less disappointed by Mass Effect 3's ending back when the game first came out if that whole sequence had happened to the SnK OST mini mix thing (but be careful, the youtube of that has some manga spoilers iirc).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Agreed posted:

Also, this is the OST of the year in my opinion, whole thing is one long gently caress-yeah. Videogame composers could learn a thing or two. I'd have felt less disappointed by Mass Effect 3's ending back when the game first came out if that whole sequence had happened to the SnK OST mini mix thing (but be careful, the youtube of that has some manga spoilers iirc).

This. I've only watched the anime and I wish I hadn't looked at that video.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Agreed posted:

The animation on the most recent episode was a loving home-run and genuinely some of the best animation I've ever seen in any series, ever. Ever ever. It also finally made the 3DMG stuff look genuinely plausible instead of "let's zoom around weeeee now watch me do Samus' screw attack!"

To be fair only Levi could really pull that kind of poo poo off, i.e. becoming a human buzzsaw.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I will take every opportunity to point out that my favorite track from the OST, E.M.A., was the BGM for that entire badass combat sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZCzsPRR9es

It just gets your blood PUMPED.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Hiroyuki Sawano makes pretty amazing music all around. He's been doing the soundtrack for Gundam Unicorn too, which I'd highly recommend listening to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The entire soundtrack may be pretty badass, but I'd like to give a little shout-out to one of the less famous 'gently caress yeah humanity' tracks on it, '立body機motion':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7IrrO09Ok

As for Sawano's Unicorn work, here's my favourite piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycF7G_Y7KXU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I was just given this amazing gem. Apologies if it has been posted before.

Levi is the best.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
There are no words that can properly encapsulate episode 24. The animation, the music choice, the pacing, everything. I can't add anything to anything that's already been said in this thread, but I am beyond pumped for episode 25. If the team making this show has any sense, episode 25 has to be the most explosive season finale in anime history. There's no way they can move on from 24 and not do that. I am on pins and needles.

That moment when Attack on Titan started playing when Eren finally transformed and began charging after Annie is why this show's soundtrack is so effective. If you listen to the full version of the song, it's just so angry, is the thing. There's just no other song that can perfectly sum up that moment of the episode. Man alive, this show has been a rollercoaster.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Annie covers up her neck in the anime too, it's just a split-second cut (7:20 of episode 4) so it's not as conspicuous as it is on the page. Of course the blonde hair and more consistent art style of the anime more than made up for it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wasn't entirely sure how those two Survey Corps mooks died but on rewatching she karate chops one line which sends one dude slamming into a building and then she grabs the other guy's line as he's jetting which makes him slam full speed into her arm.

Messy.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

I think they're being quietly banned by having the bans show up in comments they made ages ago, rather than the comment which included spoilers. The manga thread has been on top of reporting shitheads who posted "speculation" here and have participated in the manga thread as well. Recently Zorak has also been posting threats of banning people for posting spoilers, so I think the fake-speculation has died down because of that. While the Annie stuff was probably spoiled by them, I'm pretty sure the rest of the spoilers will be genuine surprises when they come up.

Well, except for the fact that this season is ending in another episode, and we'll have to wait at least a year for more anime. I'm not sure how many of you will avoid the manga for that long.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Ok, I'm now current with the Attack on Titan anime and I need to feed my lust for high flying Titan fighting adventures. Should I just read the manga from page one or should I start partway in or what? Just wanting to get my Titanon while I wait for the next season to air.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Honest Ray posted:

Ok, I'm now current with the Attack on Titan anime and I need to feed my lust for high flying Titan fighting adventures. Should I just read the manga from page one or should I start partway in or what? Just wanting to get my Titanon while I wait for the next season to air.

The manga re-orders some things but I actually prefer the order the show does it in; it's slightly less suspenseful but more dramatic, if that makes sense. In particular the manga pauses Trost to flashback to Eren's childhood instead of running straight through, IIRC.

Apart from that, you could probably start partway in and be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Honest Ray posted:

Keeping it vague, Episode 24 was more or less Volume 32 with some beefed-up action sequences, and I would expect the finale episode to follow suit with Volume 33, if you want to start from where you left off.

• Locked thread