Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vigo327 posted:

As far as car news, i am curious how lovely the new Mirage will be. I actually went to a mitsu dealer to pick up a part for something and was looking for one, but i suppose they havent arrived yet.

I'm actually surprised it's coming to the US (had to spend several minutes finding the website for Mitsubishi Motors NA). Is the US market for mediocre subcompacts that lucrative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm actually surprised it's coming to the US (had to spend several minutes finding the website for Mitsubishi Motors NA). Is the US market for mediocre subcompacts that lucrative?

Mitsubishi is the RIM of cars. "We're circling the drain, let's just never stop doing something, anything and hope it works."

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Saab assembly line still works. Sorry for the Jalopnik link, original source is down:

http://jalopnik.com/the-first-new-saab-just-rolled-off-the-assembly-line-in-1342663532

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Mitsubishi is the RIM of cars. "We're circling the drain, let's just never stop doing something, anything and hope it works."

It is a... cellphone analogy?

Pretty much dead on, though. Kind of a shame that they apparently got the Outlander Sport pretty drat right, but people still recommend against it simply due to the shaky nature of Mitsu's NA presence itself at this point.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

blk posted:

Saab assembly line still works. Sorry for the Jalopnik link, original source is down:

http://jalopnik.com/the-first-new-saab-just-rolled-off-the-assembly-line-in-1342663532

For some reason I assumed SAAB's assets had been liquidated by now. Not that I'm a SAAB fan or anything but that's great news. I don't know how good their chances are of bringing the company back from the dead, but a small hope is better than none at all.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

For some reason I assumed SAAB's assets had been liquidated by now. Not that I'm a SAAB fan or anything but that's great news. I don't know how good their chances are of bringing the company back from the dead, but a small hope is better than none at all.

This is just spindoctoring bullshit from SU. They've hired a handful of the workers back (who didn't find another job in the last 2 years), and are trying to claim that by rebuilding the last generation, you know, they're moving forward. It'll never bring Trollhättan back to life.

t:mad: SaabsUnited and NEVS

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Well, i would say it is probably growing quickly. Also, I expect Nissan thinks its droves of Versa buyers will move up ladder at some point and a profitable minority will show brand loyalty. Given recent discussion I'm not sure how much $$ Mitsu would make in the short term even if it was a sales success. I agree with Seat Safety Switch, it is sort of a hail mary. In a way, though, it's a good one, because if there's one thing you can count on make american consumers turn off their brains and throw money at you, it's to offer the cheapest product in any given segment.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Kind of a shame that they apparently got the Outlander Sport pretty drat right, but people still recommend against it simply due to the shaky nature of Mitsu's NA presence itself at this point.

I STRONGLY agree with that. It is a real shame. :smith: I like the Mitsubishi brand and think that they CAN earn their continued right to exist with decent products, so it is sad to see them not doing it in several key areas (compact and midsize car segments especially).

Vigo327 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 20, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nodoze posted:

How did it even become accepted practice to be able to negotiate on car prices anyway? I can't walk into the dentist and be like "yeah you are going to have to do better here or I'm out"

You can/should negotiate on almost everything worth more than a few hundred bucks. The US is actually kind of an oddity in that haggling isn't more common, especially given how capitalistic we think we are. Travel most anywhere else in the world and you haggle on drat near everything.

And yes I most certainly have negotiated with my dentist, with success. Services are actually some of the best/easiest things to haggle over.

Granted most big-brand chain stores/shops won't haggle much, but that's just another reason to avoid them anyway. Although even some of them will.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 19, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Guinness posted:

And yes I most certainly have negotiated with my dentist, with success. Services are actually some of the best/easiest things to haggle over.

The trick is to do this before he has your mouth full of power tools

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So I'm watching a bit of NFL, and pretty much all of the car ads are hammering pretty hard on the nostalgia angle (gee, do you suppose advertisers consider NFL fans a conservative demographic?). The strangest I thought though was for the new audi a4. They play some old rally footage of a quattro nearly running down some spectators, cut to some mom dropping off her daughter for sports practice, and the tagine is something along the lines of audi's performance pedigree and history.
Now hang on a sec, audi have been absolutely dominating prototype /endurance racing now. Every year for the past several years. Not 30 years ago. Why play up some old largely irrelevant rally history (not a sport that was ever really big in the US anyway) to link to your boring executive sedan, when you could be plugging your current success (in an equally non-mainstream sport), and the tenuous technological links that brings?
I know the US isn't audi's biggest market, but they spend all that money funding their prototype effort, they might as well try to capitalize on it regardless of market.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

So I'm watching a bit of NFL, and pretty much all of the car ads are hammering pretty hard on the nostalgia angle (gee, do you suppose advertisers consider NFL fans a conservative demographic?). The strangest I thought though was for the new audi a4. They play some old rally footage of a quattro nearly running down some spectators, cut to some mom dropping off her daughter for sports practice, and the tagine is something along the lines of audi's performance pedigree and history.
Now hang on a sec, audi have been absolutely dominating prototype /endurance racing now. Every year for the past several years. Not 30 years ago. Why play up some old largely irrelevant rally history (not a sport that was ever really big in the US anyway) to link to your boring executive sedan, when you could be plugging your current success (in an equally non-mainstream sport), and the tenuous technological links that brings?
I know the US isn't audi's biggest market, but they spend all that money funding their prototype effort, they might as well try to capitalize on it regardless of market.

The old Quattro still kind of looks like a passenger car. The LMP1 stuff is all batmobiles and what else could they run, DTM?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The old Quattro still kind of looks like a passenger car. The LMP1 stuff is all batmobiles and what else could they run, DTM?

at first I thought it would be an ad for a new Quattro that they've been teasing with concepts at all the latest auto shows, so I was surprised when it switches to the a4 (and just a plain jane a4, not an S or an RS). I guess you could argue that they're just planting the seeds for the new Quattro for when it eventually drops, maybe that's whole the point of the ad, but I felt there was a definite disconnect from 30 year old rally car to modern executive commuter.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Linedance posted:

They've had a commercial with the R18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ZxEAqaybk

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Linedance posted:

at first I thought it would be an ad for a new Quattro that they've been teasing with concepts at all the latest auto shows, so I was surprised when it switches to the a4 (and just a plain jane a4, not an S or an RS). I guess you could argue that they're just planting the seeds for the new Quattro for when it eventually drops, maybe that's whole the point of the ad, but I felt there was a definite disconnect from 30 year old rally car to modern executive commuter.

But it's still probably less than the disconnect between a modern racing prototype and a modern executive commuter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

But it's still probably less than the disconnect between a modern racing prototype and a modern executive commuter.

that's a good point.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I never understood the appeal to Audi RS models like the RS5 or RS4. You're entering Cayman territory with that kind of money. Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a dedicated sports car than a generic passenger vehicle with nicer fenders and a body kit?

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

I never understood the appeal to Audi RS models like the RS5 or RS4. You're entering Cayman territory with that kind of money. Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a dedicated sports car than a generic passenger vehicle with nicer fenders and a body kit?

Well they're meant to compete with the M and AMG cars, so they have a lot more than just "nicer fenders and a body kit". And sports sedans (and wagons) are the best kind of car.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Also for those of us in the north where the winter is longer than the summer there's a definite appeal to having our "fun" car being usable in the snow, not to mention the practicality of having a sedan vs small coupe. You can still drive a high power rear-wheel drive car in the winter of course with nice tires but you're lying to yourself if you think that Blizzaks on RWD = Blizzaks on an AWD in a snowy winter.

When I lived in Texas it seemed like Audi's were a rarity compared to BMWs, in Alaska they're evenly split, in the 90s before every BMW or Mercedes came with X-Drive or 4matic the Audis were a lot more common.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Some people don't want to be driving a car that's instantly identifiable to anyone as a "sports car". Most people would overlook an Audi RS as just another gussied up sedan. Plus as Elem7 said, it's a having your cake and eating it too practicality thing.

There's something to be said for a car like the RS6 Avant, which will haul your junk, handle bad weather, and give some supercars a run for their money.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 23, 2013

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

If I had the money I'd have an RS4 wagon in the driveway (also need a driveway). Caymans are great and all but sometimes I like to go shopping, or I might have friends with me, or go camping. The idea of a semi practical sports car is a lot more appealing to me in my 30's than a two seat coupe.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
My girlfriend and I are currently considering taking the plunge into financial debt. We are nearly adults now (29 this year) and it is time we started acting like it. This makes me very interested in getting the girlfriend into a sensible new car. This is where you find me. Posting in the new car thread.

My current prime-pick is the 2014 Fiesta ecoboost Sport. They don't start selling here until December and then there will most likely be a wait but I love the idea of a lightweight peppy throw-around and she loves the 'james bond' grill. I know nothing with a 1 litre engine really should be calling itself a 'sport' but the more and more I research this little guy the more I'm interested.

Has anyone had any experience with these and the POWERSHIFT auto that comes with them?

car and driver review here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-ford-fiesta-10l-ecoboost-driven-review

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

quote:

A timing belt that Ford says is submerged in oil reduces noise, too, and is claimed to be maintenance-free for life.

Sure Ford.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

tobu posted:

My girlfriend and I are currently considering taking the plunge into financial debt. We are nearly adults now (29 this year) and it is time we started acting like it. This makes me very interested in getting the girlfriend into a sensible new car. This is where you find me. Posting in the new car thread.

My current prime-pick is the 2014 Fiesta ecoboost Sport. They don't start selling here until December and then there will most likely be a wait but I love the idea of a lightweight peppy throw-around and she loves the 'james bond' grill. I know nothing with a 1 litre engine really should be calling itself a 'sport' but the more and more I research this little guy the more I'm interested.

Has anyone had any experience with these and the POWERSHIFT auto that comes with them?

car and driver review here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-ford-fiesta-10l-ecoboost-driven-review

Being an adult doesn't mean buying a brand new car. It means being smart, which 99% of the time is buying used. Unless money isn't an issue, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

Being an adult doesn't mean buying a brand new car. It means being smart, which 99% of the time is buying used. Unless money isn't an issue, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

Oh man, I'm sure glad you pointed these amazing things out to me. Without you to point out that second hand cars are cheaper I wouldn't have known. In fact, I just did the math and I could afford at least 15 decent used cars for the $23k I'd pay for a new fiesta. How could I have ever been so young and stupid!

Yes, 99% of the time buying a used car is the correct option financially. That is unless you are in fact in the market for a new car with plans to keep it indefinitely which is what I currently am looking at. Thanks again for your amazing ability to understand my financial situation based on three sentences and to comment accordingly.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

tobu posted:

Oh man, I'm sure glad you pointed these amazing things out to me. Without you to point out that second hand cars are cheaper I wouldn't have known. In fact, I just did the math and I could afford at least 15 decent used cars for the $23k I'd pay for a new fiesta. How could I have ever been so young and stupid!

Yes, 99% of the time buying a used car is the correct option financially. That is unless you are in fact in the market for a new car with plans to keep it indefinitely which is what I currently am looking at. Thanks again for your amazing ability to understand my financial situation based on three sentences and to comment accordingly.

Whatever man, your money.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It really depends on how your local car market works.

Over in NZ if you want a newish small car then it definitely makes sense to buy new as they hold their value extremely well for the first five or so years. Big cars are completely the opposite as they tank in value over the first few years - its quite interesting looking at the relative new and three year old prices of a Commodore or Maxima compared to a Swift or Fiesta.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

tobu posted:

1) Putting yourself into financial debt for a depreciating asset is a bad idea.
2) If you're keeping it forever just buy something used that's like a year old and has already taken the driven off the lot depreciation, then spend the difference on a vacation.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

tobu posted:

I just did the math and I could afford at least 15 decent used cars for the $23k I'd pay for a new fiesta. How could I have ever been so young and stupid!

Or you know, buy a used car for $15k that is almost just as good as a new fiesta. Also, part of being an adult is taking constructive criticism. Based on your last post, you're just here to have someone agree with you, and throw out any real advice that differs from what you already decided. You'll also be the first person in AI to do that...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hashal posted:

Or you know, buy a used car for $15k that is almost just as good as a new fiesta.

But maybe not one of the required size.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

dissss posted:

But maybe not one of the required size.

Like you said, depends on the market. In the U.S., it isn't nearly the case. There are so many more small cars on the road now, that they don't hold their value nearly as much as they did 3 years ago.

Edit: Since this is the news thread, what happened with that 1.0L from that article, which is from 2012? I see it never made it to the U.S. based on Ford's website, and don't see much info online about it. Did it get scrapped, or it is only in other countries?

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 23, 2013

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Muffinpox posted:

2) If you're keeping it forever just buy something used that's like a year old and has already taken the driven off the lot depreciation, then spend the difference on a vacation.

Yeah come on man, go buy the used, year-old version of the car that isn't even available yet, don't be stupid!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Hashal posted:

Or you know, buy a used car for $15k that is almost just as good as a new fiesta. Also, part of being an adult is taking constructive criticism. Based on your last post, you're just here to have someone agree with you, and throw out any real advice that differs from what you already decided. You'll also be the first person in AI to do that...

I've actually been through the pro's and con's of buying new vs. old. My post in this, the new car thread, was to get advice on a specific new car; not what I could get by spending the money on a used car. Hence the sarcasm.

Seriously, is the concept of buying a new car so foreign?

Muffinpox posted:

Any debt is a bad idea but sadly it is how modern life works. Anyway, the car is just a drop in the bucket compared to the mortgage. That and because I live a million miles from anywhere so vacations are generally driving vacations and a fuel efficient fiesta would be ideal for that.

Hashal posted:

Like you said, depends on the market. In the U.S., it isn't nearly the case. There are so many more small cars on the road now, that they don't hold their value nearly as much as they did 3 years ago.

Luckily, I'm in Australia where small cars tend to hold their value much better than the larger cars. Older large cars, like commodores and falcons, drop their prices significantly compared to their smaller counter-parts.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

tobu posted:

I've actually been through the pro's and con's of buying new vs. old. My post in this, the new car thread, was to get advice on a specific new car; not what I could get by spending the money on a used car. Hence the sarcasm.

Seriously, is the concept of buying a new car so foreign?

We're only giving you poo poo because of your sarcasm laden post at the mere mention of buying used, and that you are of lesser intelligence for not considering it previously. You seriously made a jerk post just because someone made a recommendation that saves money. We are also going to give recommendations based on the market the majority of us are in (the U.S.), so you shouldn't really expect otherwise without giving us more information up front.

Also, this is the news thread.

Edit: I don't know how I feel about this small of a turbo engine. I feel like the price of a turbo isn't worth the small gains in small displacement engines. The car is going to perform like an appliance either way. Similar with the Chevy Sonic. I like both cars, think the turbo would make it a little more fun to drive, but not worth the cost in the end.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 23, 2013

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

tobu posted:

Your posts are kind of off topic for this thread. I think you would get better responses over in the Ask / Tell car buying thread.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: ^^^^ I agree, sorry for contributing to the derail.

tobu posted:

Any debt is a bad idea but sadly it is how modern life works. Anyway, the car is just a drop in the bucket compared to the mortgage. That and because I live a million miles from anywhere so vacations are generally driving vacations and a fuel efficient fiesta would be ideal for that.

It doesn't have to be. Debt is poison, it's a symptom of trying to live a lifestyle which is ultimately unsustainable for a given income.

You don't have to continuously take up debt to live a modern life. I have my mortgage, but that's only because 1) hardly anyone can afford to buy a house outright, and 2) with even the most basic maintenance, a house is an investment or at least a non-depreciating asset, unlike a car. Apart from that, I'm free of debt, and it's wonderful. I own (fully own, bought with cash) a car and two motorcycles, I go to concerts, movies, out for dinner, on vacation and all that jazz. Sure, the car and bikes are from 2000 and 1996/2008 respectively, and I've had to save up for them as well as the vacations, but that's the way modern life should work. If you can't afford something, you either can't afford it, or you save up.

Kill all debt. It'll make you happier.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 23, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Hashal posted:

Edit: Since this is the news thread, what happened with that 1.0L from that article, which is from 2012? I see it never made it to the U.S. based on Ford's website, and don't see much info online about it. Did it get scrapped, or it is only in other countries?

the 1.0L EcoBoost is coming to the US in the refreshed Fiesta. We're getting the ~125hp spec and I think it's manual only, at least at first. Ford is claiming it'll have the best EPA rating of any non-hybrid gas-powered car sold in the US.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KozmoNaut posted:

Kill all debt. It'll make you happier.

Out of interest do you have kids? Not saying debt-free is impossible with kids, just more difficult.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

Out of interest do you have kids? Not saying debt-free is impossible with kids, just more difficult.

Not yet, but I have a lot of tricks learned from my parents on how to run a family on a budget.

Baseline is that if we can't afford it, we can't afford it, end of story.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
New car interest rates in the US are so comically low (2%) that if you have 30k or whatever in the bank to drop on a new car, you're probably better off keeping it for a rainy day or for investment purposes and borrowing for the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Not yet, but I have a lot of tricks learned from my parents on how to run a family on a budget.

Baseline is that if we can't afford it, we can't afford it, end of story.

Don't you live in Denmark?

Also, the derail was another great example of people not answering the question you ask.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 23, 2013