Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
The only mod for Doom64EX that I'm aware of is this one that I made that restores the PC version's sound effects. The one thing I hated the most about Doom 64 was the new sound effects. They all sound so muddy and lack and punch.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jzs8o4g558di2yk/DOOMSND.rar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The talk in the thread convinced me to give Samsara a try, and Hexen really is improved if you play as Duke Nukem, I must say. And the Marathon guy's dual shotguns are a lot of fun.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Dr Snofeld posted:

The talk in the thread convinced me to give Samsara a try, and Hexen really is improved if you play as Duke Nukem, I must say. And the Marathon guy's dual shotguns are a lot of fun.

Samsara is pretty great all around and playing as Parias makes Doom 2 a lot less frustrating. All those stupid teleport pads that plop you in a tiny room filled with imps that scratch you before you can see suddenly become a blessing because it instead delivers them directly into your axe.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LvK posted:

Which was a doom mod, hence a part of it actually being pretty good.

A bit more than a mod, actually! They officially licensed the engine and made some minor changes to it (like ending episodes at ExM5 instead of ExM8, and removing item drops from monsters, among other things).

Many Doom ports now have a special "Chex Quest" mode for that. But you should just as well get Chex Quest 3.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cat Mattress posted:

A bit more than a mod, actually! They officially licensed the engine and made some minor changes to it (like ending episodes at ExM5 instead of ExM8, and removing item drops from monsters, among other things).

Many Doom ports now have a special "Chex Quest" mode for that. But you should just as well get Chex Quest 3.

Oh, yeah, I was just simplifying matters.

And yeah Chex Quest 3 is the ultimate cereal experience.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So I just went to play Chex Quest again. Apparently there's a secret I'd not known about in E1M2. It contains the LAZ Device.

That's right, you can get the BFG the level before the shotgun!

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/65688-unholy-realms-public-beta-release-thread/

New wad. Works in most sourceports, remember to apply the DEH. Starts off slow, heats up fairly quickly. Original soundtrack. 32 maps. One by Skillsaw, one by Khorus. Uses cc4 textures. One switch in map03 needs to be shot.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Samsara is amazing. Always wanted to play as Duke Nukem in Doom II. :allears:

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Starhawk64 posted:

Samsara is amazing. Always wanted to play as Duke Nukem in Doom II. :allears:

I'm doing a UV run with Duke in Doom 2, and it's a blast so far. I've wound up using the pipebombs way more than the RPG, just because they're so drat fun. My only complaint is, the jetpack is not a good substitute for the instant 100 health that comes with the berserk pack unless you want to completely break the levels.

I used the Quake Ranger for a Doom episode 3 run, and it was comparatively bland and unexciting... until I realized that I picked up a giant hammer and started smashing every demon in sight with it. :fuckoff: Next up will be Parias, because that Serpent Staff should do wonders to fix the lack of health on E4M1.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I used the Quake Ranger for a Doom episode 3 run, and it was comparatively bland and unexciting... until I realized that I picked up a giant hammer and started smashing every demon in sight with it. :fuckoff: Next up will be Parias, because that Serpent Staff should do wonders to fix the lack of health on E4M1.

Plus, he also has a giant hammer that bludgeons the poo poo out of everything. And reusable gas bombs. And Wraithverge. My favorite character in the mod.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Trying Alien Vendetta with Project MSX, so far the easy first few levels have been a real bitch, the later ones may be impossible. I shouldn't really be surprised.

Also, my Caco and Pain Elemental toys turned up. They're so soft and fluffy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm playing Duke 3D again and one thing I don't like is that the world itself is out to kill you. I've gotten crushed to death avoiding enemies just by regular sliding doors in this game because Duke's motion is so slippery. There's so many environmental hazards like slime puddles and crushers and triggered traps compared to Doom or Quake. It feels more like you're fighting a sadistic level designer instead of aliens.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's so many environmental hazards like slime puddles and crushers and triggered traps compared to Doom or Quake. It feels more like you're fighting a sadistic level designer instead of aliens.

My favorite is when you have to blow up a wall or detonate a trip-mine trap to proceed, and the explosions chase you out of the room or hallway you're in (or, more often than not, blow you up completely or to near-death). Or when you approach a wall and it just explodes in your face, taking away half your health.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
The first level is pretty bad with the explosions. I assume they were impressive at the time and therefore front-loaded in the game or I might just not be remembering the later parts. Not that there aren't numerous gently caress you -moments later on but not quite that many one after another iirc.

Edit: except the goddamn drones which sometimes seem more like environmental hazards than enemies due to their placing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess my memories are a little tainted by all of the user maps I've played, where you literally are fighting a sadistic level designer.

But "The Birth" seems especially bad about the explosions. I mean, It's Impossible has at least two bullshit explosion parts (the alarm room vent, and several exploding walls)

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 3, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Quatrefoil posted:

The first level is pretty bad with the explosions. I assume they were impressive at the time and therefore front-loaded in the game or I might just not be remembering the later parts. Not that there aren't numerous gently caress you -moments later on but not quite that many one after another iirc.

Edit: except the goddamn drones which sometimes seem more like environmental hazards than enemies due to their placing.

Dynamic levels were new and exciting in the pre-Half-Life era. They were telegraphed pretty heavily outside of E1M1. Oh look a hallway with a big empty wall and nothing else, it explodes and Pig Cops fly out and you can continue the level.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm playing Duke 3D again and one thing I don't like is that the world itself is out to kill you. I've gotten crushed to death avoiding enemies just by regular sliding doors in this game because Duke's motion is so slippery. There's so many environmental hazards like slime puddles and crushers and triggered traps compared to Doom or Quake. It feels more like you're fighting a sadistic level designer instead of aliens.

That's the fun of Duke Nukem 3D, the environment is just as much of an enemy as the aliens.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
The only "fun" way to battle the environment in Duke3D is to get run over by a train while inside of the train

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I friggin hate the drones in Duke3D. Suicide enemies are always really annoying and unfun and the drones have too much hp.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I remember Doom64 getting a PC port. I can't seem to find it by Google alone though, maybe I'm not using the right terms for it?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

I remember Doom64 getting a PC port. I can't seem to find it by Google alone though, maybe I'm not using the right terms for it?

Doom64 EX. Stick the N64 rom in one end, let it crunch numbers for a minute and out pops a freshly baked PC version of the game.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Dynamic environments were what made Duke3D so :fap: when it came out, along with the sex and humor. Games at the time had very basic layouts, not much interactivity and tended towards a stract. Duke challenged this by having very detailed maps, packed with things to interact with and chock full of immature humor. I can take a piss and get health for it along with a sound byte? Awesome!

I think that's what really soured DNF for me. The first area had a ton of little things you could play with, despite having a very limited effect on the game as a whole. By two or three levels in that was entirely gone, other than the occasional disgusting and not even humorously so "tit-slapping" joke. If the level design had kept the same intricate proof of love and care by the designers that the first one had, DNF would have been... Well, probably still a lovely game, but at least enjoyable.

As a comparison, I remember one moment in the shareware version of Quake where there was a row of two unreachable switches framing a doorway with a floor switch in front of them. Stepping on the floor switch caused two cubes to rise up, plug into the two wall switches and open the door. Using full 3D objects in all three dimensions on a throwaway gag (obviously meant to showcase the true 3D engine) blew my young mind as I had only ever played 2.5D games before. In simpler times it took a lot less to impress.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dominic White posted:

Doom64 EX. Stick the N64 rom in one end, let it crunch numbers for a minute and out pops a freshly baked PC version of the game.

Awesome, thank you. :)

Doom 64 holds the fondest memories for me. I loved the PSX version, but 64 was the first "proper" one I played.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The problem with DNF's interactivity is that it had little effect on the gameplay. In DN3D, pissing would regain some health, singing some karoke would summon Pigcops, looking at cameras would give you a quick overview of what you'll be dealing with, certain attacks could be reflected off of mirrors, blowing up a crack would reveal a huge shortcut, etc. In DNF, interacting with stuff only gives you a small health boost. Nothing you do affects how the game plays. There's little reason to gently caress around with the environment because the same enemies will appear and you'll have to follow the exact same path, no matter how many bags of popcorn you cook, weights you use, wall boobs you slap, and so on. 3DR completely missed the point of what made DN3D's interactivity so good in favor of Georgie B. copy and pasting Halo and Call of Duty's level format because he thought that copying current games was the best way to make a sequel for a game that was praised for it's innovations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

DNF was just a mess to begin with.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

DNF was just a mess to begin with.

DNF ranks with Unreal 2 and Dragon Age 2 as the worst sequels that completely missed the point of what made the previous game so good.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Duke Nukem Forever is essentially a game where George Broussard decided that he wanted it to be every popular FPS ever. The end result is this Frankenstein's monster of Half-Life, Halo, Call of Duty, and probably a hodge-podge of other random FPS titles he was playing at the time, but with only the lovely parts used to build it. The entire game is "A History of FPS in the Past Decade: The Game" Every single portion of Duke Nukem Forever was something you could trace back to one of those FPS. Driving sections? Hey, it's just like in Half-Life 2, but somehow the driving sections are more numerous and terrible! Did you just reach an area with a lot of chest-high walls? Get ready for a cover shooting segment! Oh hey look here's a turret, get on that and shooting gallery those enemies that are gonna show up in waves to rack up them kills! Physics puzzles? Yeah, just sprinkle them wherever, and throw in some platforming while you are at it, kids love that poo poo in-between cover shooting segments. Carry only two weapons, and throw pipebombs (grenades) at the enemies occasionally, where have I seen that before?

The whole game was an amalgamation of all the lovely things I hated about most modern FPS titles throughout the decade leading up its release. And I played through the entire game twice. Even the DLC campaign. I did this because I waited far too long for the game to be released, and told myself I would 100% complete it, and according to the rules of Modern Game Design (tm), 100% completion means grab all those dumb cheevos. And then I wrote a way-too-long rant about WHY the game is a lovely mess. Nothing about this game feels like 3D Realms made it, or that it was supposed to be a follow up to Duke Nukem 3D. It is every other FPS, but somehow done worse. It is the most unoriginal and boring FPS I have ever played.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Duke Nukem Forever is essentially a game where George Broussard decided that he wanted it to be every popular FPS ever. The end result is this Frankenstein's monster of Half-Life, Halo, Call of Duty, and probably a hodge-podge of other random FPS titles he was playing at the time, but with only the lovely parts used to build it. The entire game is "A History of FPS in the Past Decade: The Game" Every single portion of Duke Nukem Forever was something you could trace back to one of those FPS. Driving sections? Hey, it's just like in Half-Life 2, but somehow the driving sections are more numerous and terrible! Did you just reach an area with a lot of chest-high walls? Get ready for a cover shooting segment! Oh hey look here's a turret, get on that and shooting gallery those enemies that are gonna show up in waves to rack up them kills! Physics puzzles? Yeah, just sprinkle them wherever, and throw in some platforming while you are at it, kids love that poo poo in-between cover shooting segments. Carry only two weapons, and throw pipebombs (grenades) at the enemies occasionally, where have I seen that before?

The whole game was an amalgamation of all the lovely things I hated about most modern FPS titles throughout the decade leading up its release. And I played through the entire game twice. Even the DLC campaign. I did this because I waited far too long for the game to be released, and told myself I would 100% complete it, and according to the rules of Modern Game Design (tm), 100% completion means grab all those dumb cheevos. And then I wrote a way-too-long rant about WHY the game is a lovely mess. Nothing about this game feels like 3D Realms made it, or that it was supposed to be a follow up to Duke Nukem 3D. It is every other FPS, but somehow done worse. It is the most unoriginal and boring FPS I have ever played.

DNF never spends enough time actually being a first person shooter. It seems Geroge wanted to make DNF diverse, but he completely forgot that people wanted to play DNF to shoot aliens with small guns while the main character says funny things, not piss around in a strip club that has no enemies, spend multiple levels driving around in a monster truck while having no way to shoot back at enemies, play a boring turret section, and go through a way-too-long intro sequence where nothing really happens. He was too interested in adding all sorts of diversions to add interesting combat situations and polish the shooting instead of making the first person shooting feel like it was filter between the next driving, jumping, or turret section.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

closeted republican posted:

DNF never spends enough time actually being a first person shooter. It seems Geroge wanted to make DNF diverse, but he completely forgot that people wanted to play DNF to shoot aliens with small guns while the main character says funny things, not piss around in a strip club that has no enemies, spend multiple levels driving around in a monster truck while having no way to shoot back at enemies, play a boring turret section, and go through a way-too-long intro sequence where nothing really happens. He was too interested in adding all sorts of diversions to add interesting combat situations and polish the shooting instead of making the first person shooting feel like it was filter between the next driving, jumping, or turret section.

And the time when you do actually fight aliens, the combat feels unpolished and bland. Enemies don't react when being shot at, not even a flinch. For gently caress's sake, Doom's enemies reacted to being shot and that game was made almost 20 some years ago! Really, it's the same problem as Doom 3, lack of feedback from shooting enemies. Nothing until you've depleted their hp and they suddenly have a heart attack and ragdoll.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Duke3D is lovely in all the right ways like Saints Row. You're playing a bad 90s action movie full of bad 90s action movie cliches. That's what made it so good. DNF is just trash.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

closeted republican posted:

The problem with DNF's interactivity is that it had little effect on the gameplay. In DN3D, pissing would regain some health, singing some karoke would summon Pigcops, looking at cameras would give you a quick overview of what you'll be dealing with, certain attacks could be reflected off of mirrors, blowing up a crack would reveal a huge shortcut, etc. In DNF, interacting with stuff only gives you a small health boost. Nothing you do affects how the game plays. There's little reason to gently caress around with the environment because the same enemies will appear and you'll have to follow the exact same path, no matter how many bags of popcorn you cook, weights you use, wall boobs you slap, and so on. 3DR completely missed the point of what made DN3D's interactivity so good in favor of Georgie B. copy and pasting Halo and Call of Duty's level format because he thought that copying current games was the best way to make a sequel for a game that was praised for it's innovations.

A friend and I discussed this... and health boosts probably are actually the best thing for most of them. On the other hand, we were also talking about having your health drain at all times (easier difficulties have a point at which this stops, higher difficulties don't :P), killing enemies giving you a bit of health, and having your health be a measure of how Dukey you're being. This changes the flow from "slog through enemies, hide behind a wall" to "Oh poo poo I'm out of things to kill to keep my health up... but wait there's a strip club up ahead!"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That's really just making me want a Duke Nukem game where Duke is basically Jason Statham in Crank. Duke gets a heart transplant (because he's loving old), but the surgeon is a spy for the alien invaders and Duke's new heart has to stay above a certain rate or he dies. So Duke does what he always does, kicks alien rear end, goes to strip clubs, smokes, and never stops running at full speed. The whole game would just be balls-out action, and if you pause at all you start dying.

I guess at some point you could start giving the player an amphetamine power-up that'd work like Max Payne's pain pills.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I've taken a break from Duke modding for a bit but I've got a Holiday coming up in a couple of weeks, if I find the time I might be able to cough up a little mini mod for Duke3D that does what you just described. Your health counting down constantly and killing enemies and doing Duke stuff gives back (The other levels would only count down to a certain level, drat I'm good would count down to zero since the enemies respawn)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It be an interesting way of playing Duke3D. I don't think too many FPS games rely on the player to keep moving and play as recklessly as possible.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Painkiller has it a very little bit, but if you're getting hit in Painkiller then you're bad.

EDIT: Painkiller is the best "blow up monsters while moving at 500 mph" game ever. Time to replay it.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 23, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

It be an interesting way of playing Duke3D. I don't think too many FPS games rely on the player to keep moving and play as recklessly as possible.

Serious Sam?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

King Vidiot posted:

That's really just making me want a Duke Nukem game where Duke is basically Jason Statham in Crank. Duke gets a heart transplant (because he's loving old), but the surgeon is a spy for the alien invaders and Duke's new heart has to stay above a certain rate or he dies. So Duke does what he always does, kicks alien rear end, goes to strip clubs, smokes, and never stops running at full speed. The whole game would just be balls-out action, and if you pause at all you start dying.

I guess at some point you could start giving the player an amphetamine power-up that'd work like Max Payne's pain pills.

Only if there's a section where you have to start punching yourself or starting fights using rear end in a top hat physics because taking damage spikes your heart-rate.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Samsara needs to include Lo Wang and Caleb at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Serious Sam?

gently caress Kleers. They're the most annoyingly designed pieces of poo poo in any FPS. They're like Quake Fiends, but instead of one or two at a time so that you actually have a chance to shoot them, the devs spam loving twenty at once and make them annoying bullet sponges.

The one thing that annoys me about "classic" modern games is that they're pretty linear, more like light gun games than old 90s stuff. I'm still miffed at Rise of the Triad for not enabling back-tracks and focusing more on lovely platforming than confusing key hunts. (I also have a fetish for bodies not disappearing.)

^ He said that Caleb would have to be a third-party pack. Not sure about Lo Wang.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 23, 2013