Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ugh. Just got super powers and I drop to like 13 fps when racing around.

Let's say I was irresponsible. Just as a hypothetical. Would a HD 7850 be a solid card for 1920x1200? It's cheep enough I could probably get away with it.

EDIT: Even at 13 fps, superspeed/jump rule! :stare:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I got the game for the xbox and I've powered through around 81% of the game and oh my god this is fantastic. I do really need to get Saints Row 3 at some point though, I`m missing a ton of references. 'Course, my current computer can`t even play SR2 on low, which is pathetic on a bunch of levels.

Either way though, it's loving hilarious. Like GTA except funny and without the sexism.

Mind you, it does kinda suck that it doesn't look like there's much to do after you beat the game. Yay, it's daytime now... and?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got the game to run pretty well and still looking decent-ish by dropping everything to low/off, except post-processing which I set to the max. :iiam:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

It's weird. Saints Row 3 always ran pretty drat well for me but SR4 runs like loving poo poo and it really shouldn't. Like, we're talking mid-20s at all times unless I'm staring at the ground or in a cutscene. God help me should I go to one of the edges of the map and look inward.

SR4 ran fine for me the first time through, but now that I've come to replay it I'm finding that I sometimes have to turn the resolution down to get it to run better. Especially during fast-moving bits like Blazing or when I'm driving a particularly fast car or motorbike.

It's not as bad as the issue I was having at one point with SR3 where it was unplayably slow at any settings, but there does seem to be something wrong.

The Iron Rose posted:

Mind you, it does kinda suck that it doesn't look like there's much to do after you beat the game. Yay, it's daytime now... and?

Yeah, if you already did all the side missions as they came up there's not much left, other than finishing off the collectables and challenges. That's pretty much just going to involve going places you've already been and redoing stuff you've already done though.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
poo poo started slowing way down for me a while back and then I realised it'd been about six months since I blew the dust out of my CPU fan. So that fixed it.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

Has anyone figured out a way to fix the black screen error on ATI cards yet? I've owned this game since release and haven't been able to play in more than 30 minute bursts because my game will crash to a black screen, my sound loops for a few seconds and then nothing with the only solution being a computer restart. I've tried everything so far including driver updates/rollbacks and a whole bunch of other tiny poo poo, nothing seems to help and this is the only game I'm getting this issue on.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Kind of a weird question, but I've set down SRIV until non-costume DLC comes out and was holding off on GTAV until they fix what sounds like some serious bullshit (the stock market and garages are broken, apparently), and was considering giving Sleeping Dogs a try to get my open-world crime fix. My question to anyone who's played it is, is it closer to a GTAIV or a SRTT? Like, not only in terms of general fun, but are there lots of side activities and character customization? Is the driving and combat handled 'realistically' (read:taking a turn at anything over 10mph guarantees a crash and you can die from a few gunshots) or will I be drifting all over the place? Do I play a sad sack who goes bowling with his cousin, or worse, a sad sack who rides a motorcycle and apparently only owns the one jacket?

I thought I'd ask here since all the professional reviews on metacritic bring up bullshit I couldn't possibly care about (there's a morality system! something about voice actors!) and all the user reviews read like they were written by seventh graders, and if I asked in the GTA thread someone would call me an idiot baby for not liking the way cars handled in GTAIV :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Kind of a weird question, but I've set down SRIV until non-costume DLC comes out and was holding off on GTAV until they fix what sounds like some serious bullshit (the stock market and garages are broken, apparently), and was considering giving Sleeping Dogs a try to get my open-world crime fix. My question to anyone who's played it is, is it closer to a GTAIV or a SRTT? Like, not only in terms of general fun, but are there lots of side activities and character customization? Is the driving and combat handled 'realistically' (read:taking a turn at anything over 10mph guarantees a crash and you can die from a few gunshots) or will I be drifting all over the place? Do I play a sad sack who goes bowling with his cousin, or worse, a sad sack who rides a motorcycle and apparently only owns the one jacket?

I thought I'd ask here since all the professional reviews on metacritic bring up bullshit I couldn't possibly care about (there's a morality system! something about voice actors!) and all the user reviews read like they were written by seventh graders, and if I asked in the GTA thread someone would call me an idiot baby for not liking the way cars handled in GTAIV :(

Tons of activities (combat, collectibles, karaoke, etc) and character customization. The driving has an emphasis on fun rather than realism. Storywise, it's closer to Saints Row 2 or San Andreas. The combat is akin to Batman's with a counter/kung fu system. The DLC is also hilarious and odd ranging from being busted down to a beat cop, exorcising a ghost infestation, or travelling to an island to take part in a last man standing martial arts tournament. It's tons of fun.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
As mentioned, Sleeping Dogs is probably one of the most game-y open world games out there next to Saints Row, in a good way. The cars handle extremely well, the on-foot combat is really reminiscent of the Batman Arkham games, and the gunfights are fantastic. The story and characters are pretty reminiscent of the earlier GTA games, so it plays out like your typical action crime drama.

It's almost the polar opposite of GTA IV (and ostensibly V since I've found it to have some of the same issues in terms of sacrificing fun for "realism") and it's totally worth playing.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Sleeping Dogs plays to its own strengths. There aren't a lot of side activities like GTA has but there are "Stranger missions" you can pick up on the streets. The car driving is fairly tight and it has a unique degree of depth to it in that you can and often have to press an action button to ram other cars off the road and you can jump out of a moving car onto another car and hijack it that way (so if you see a sports car on the highway you don't need to pull over, you can just jump right on it). The combat is a lot different as well, guns come up now and then (and you can snatch guns from dudes by leaping over tables and there's an element of bullet time to shooting) but the bulk of it will be about martial arts- you have grabs, attacks, strong attacks, counters and special moves to learn and you have to approach different enemy archetypes differently.

The customization is mostly in clothes you buy from stores around the city and you can hit a lot of good looks with it, and certain item combos give you exp or damage bonuses. Every clothing store stocks different clothing so you have to drive around to shop, and you can't wear certain clothes until your Face level ranks up (you have three levels you build in different ways: Face (general respect), Triad Respect and Cop Respect). It doesn't have the variety of vehicle missions a GTA will have but the combat is very unique and it very much feels like a martial arts movie.

There is loads of voicework and Hong Kong is very beautifully-rendered, there's lots of good songs on the radio stations and since you're in China all the cars put the driver on the right and you have to drive on the left side of the road. It's really good in its own martial arts take on the crime city sandbox and it's very much worth it.

e: I almost forgot the best part of combat, the unique environmental kills:

Reiley fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 23, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's also a ton of ridiculous environmental kills. Nothing quite like arresting someone by throwing them onto an industrial furnace. :stare:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Wolfsheim posted:

It's more fun to drive in Sleeping Dogs than GTA V, and you don't need Bullet Time to be good at races. I think the developers did Mod Nation Racing so they know how to make a fun arcade-y racing game. Combat is inspired by the Arkham games but it's got enough originality to distinguish itself. Guns are a rarity but the shooting is pretty robust. There's light free running and platforming in certain missions. Unlike GTA you can find consumables everywhere and they'll give a passive bonus after you take them.

The characters in the game are decently written. Initially everyone feels like a caricature but their personalities are compelling. There's probably only one character I didn't care for, and that person never really got any attention until the end. You can do beat cop missions when you're not doing undercover work.

SynthOrange posted:

There's also a ton of ridiculous environmental kills. Nothing quite like arresting someone by throwing them onto an industrial furnace. :stare:

Yeah, it's like Condemned 2 but with a good story and even better gameplay.
And karaoke is the best minigame.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Action Tortoise posted:

I think the developers did Mod Nation Racing so they know how to make a fun arcade-y racing game.
They also have an impressive pedigree when it comes to open world games, as many of the United Front Games people used to work on games such as Bully and Saints Row 2.

Play Sleeping Dogs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mT0IQCTjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJsKNW9Kph4

Two videos that should sell you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also just a quick head's up concerning your issues with GTA5: The online stock market (there's an offline one, too) is going to be down until Social Club stops making GBS threads itself, which won't happen soon because GTA:O is using the Social Club servers and that hits in about a week or so, and the garages were never broken in the first place. They work a bit differently now, and the lack of prompting regarding the change made a lot of goons cry out "broken" before they knew what was actually going on.

Once I get my new computer parts, I can't wait to install and finally finish 100%ing SR4. I miss my gang tag...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh I... goddammit.

TK Rifts: Dont stand on the target area and the bombs wont hit you. :doh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Near one of the rifts today I noticed this large-headed man, and it made me laugh because he reminded me of Sad Keanu Reeves.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

SynthOrange posted:

Oh I... goddammit.

TK Rifts: Dont stand on the target area and the bombs wont hit you. :doh:

But do be careful; depending on where you stand, you won't get thrown back by bomb blasts, but you'll still take damage. Found that out the hard way once.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Fintilgin posted:

Let's say I was irresponsible. Just as a hypothetical. Would a HD 7850 be a solid card for 1920x1200? It's cheep enough I could probably get away with it.

I've got a 7850 and (now that the DRM apphang has been fixed) I run the game on max settings, no regrets, usually no slowdown. Very rarely I'll get a little choppy when my fiancee and I are both dubstep gunning while there's a warden and a guardian and a ton of other poo poo going on, but that's a very rare confluence of particles.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Surprised no one had mentioned that there is a mod that fixes the random audio log from playing, but it also disables it from playing when you pick it up.
So if you wanted to listen to it, you would have to do it from the ship. Not too big of a deal for the guys who already finished the game, no?

At work right now, but it's on Saints Row Mods forum.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Amdis posted:

Has anyone figured out a way to fix the black screen error on ATI cards yet? I've owned this game since release and haven't been able to play in more than 30 minute bursts because my game will crash to a black screen, my sound loops for a few seconds and then nothing with the only solution being a computer restart. I've tried everything so far including driver updates/rollbacks and a whole bunch of other tiny poo poo, nothing seems to help and this is the only game I'm getting this issue on.
I had the exact same thing (and on an ATI card), and it was the only game it happened on (although I don't play a ton of games). I ran the Prime95 blend test (the one that does CPU and memory), and the same thing happened, so I wound up pulling out one of my DIMMs and haven't had it happen since, so it's possible you've got a bad DIMM. Just to note, I ran memtest86+ overnight before Prime95 and it didn't report any issues, but removing one still fixed it for me (I've since replaced both DIMMs with a new pair and it's still working).

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 23, 2013

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
So, has anyone else noticed the Saint-themed UFO that sometimes drops out of the sky when you phone some Super Backup? I've only ever noticed it when I call while flying.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Russad posted:

So, has anyone else noticed the Saint-themed UFO that sometimes drops out of the sky when you phone some Super Backup? I've only ever noticed it when I call while flying.

Can't say as I saw that, but I did see what appeared to be a comet streak across the sky at some point when I was playing. Don't think it was a rocket or anything, as it looked like it was part of the skybox itself.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Russad posted:

According to the Saints Row wiki you can unlock a Saints themed Void from either completing an instance of UFO mayhem or from a specific virus collection.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Finished up with Saints Row 3 (Way too much minecraft. :argh:) and started with this.

Holy poo poo, you know that feeling, when a game is just right? that usually hits in the first hour of play? Yeah, this game. :stare:

Now i just need to strong arm one of my buddies to get it for some sweet co-op mayhem.

Robot Jelly
Jul 15, 2007

Bleep Blorp

Amdis posted:

I had this same problem and I feel you, it's maddenning! What worked for me was to actually underclock my graphics card everytime I wanted to play this.

This guy here found the fix and explains it a bit more, but basically download MSI Afterburner, underclock the GPU clock and memory clock a little and it should decide to work.

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/entire-computer-crash-during-second-cutscene.3250/#post-29604

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Reiley posted:

Sleeping Dogs plays to its own strengths. There aren't a lot of side activities like GTA has but there are "Stranger missions" you can pick up on the streets. The car driving is fairly tight and it has a unique degree of depth to it in that you can and often have to press an action button to ram other cars off the road and you can jump out of a moving car onto another car and hijack it that way (so if you see a sports car on the highway you don't need to pull over, you can just jump right on it). The combat is a lot different as well, guns come up now and then (and you can snatch guns from dudes by leaping over tables and there's an element of bullet time to shooting) but the bulk of it will be about martial arts- you have grabs, attacks, strong attacks, counters and special moves to learn and you have to approach different enemy archetypes differently.

The customization is mostly in clothes you buy from stores around the city and you can hit a lot of good looks with it, and certain item combos give you exp or damage bonuses. Every clothing store stocks different clothing so you have to drive around to shop, and you can't wear certain clothes until your Face level ranks up (you have three levels you build in different ways: Face (general respect), Triad Respect and Cop Respect). It doesn't have the variety of vehicle missions a GTA will have but the combat is very unique and it very much feels like a martial arts movie.

There is loads of voicework and Hong Kong is very beautifully-rendered, there's lots of good songs on the radio stations and since you're in China all the cars put the driver on the right and you have to drive on the left side of the road. It's really good in its own martial arts take on the crime city sandbox and it's very much worth it.

e: I almost forgot the best part of combat, the unique environmental kills:

If someone added the unarmed combat system of Sleeping Dogs to Saints Row 4 I would never stop playing the game.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

TerryLennox posted:

If someone added the unarmed combat system pork bun peddlers of Sleeping Dogs to Saints Row 4 I would never stop playing the game.

I miss burgers/blunts/40s/strange eggrolls. :munch: Yes, my Boss is morbidly obese, why do you ask?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is there a good place to snag all the late-game instrumentals that play during missions? I really like a few of them and would love to download them. I don't know which ones specifically, but I would know them if I heard them.

Just beat the game, this was a blast.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

Robot Jelly posted:

I had this same problem and I feel you, it's maddenning! What worked for me was to actually underclock my graphics card everytime I wanted to play this.

This guy here found the fix and explains it a bit more, but basically download MSI Afterburner, underclock the GPU clock and memory clock a little and it should decide to work.

http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/entire-computer-crash-during-second-cutscene.3250/#post-29604

What the gently caress man, I never would have thought of this. I'll give it a spin. Thanks a lot for answering.

e:And that fixed it, I can finally play this game!

Amdis fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 24, 2013

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Hank Morgan posted:

According to the Saints Row wiki you can unlock a Saints themed Void from either completing an instance of UFO mayhem or from a specific virus collection.

Don't hold me to this, as I was hopping between characters a bunch, but I think I was actually able to unlock the Saints Void before receiving it as a reward by hopping in one of the ones discarded by summoned homies.

I can't test it right now, but my guess is that summoned homies are ported in via Void, if you summon them while flying. Though I don't know why they would, considering they just teleport to you periodically.

Or maybe my game just has a goofy bug.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Seconding the Sleeping Dogs recommendations. I was going to share my own experiences, but I did some digging only to find that I'd completely forgotten to take screenshots. :doh:

Great music choices for the radio, too.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1bmFM0Rm9U supergreatfriend played the PC demo and made a video out of it. He's a champ. (This is what ultimately convinced me to give it a shot.)

Runa fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 24, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Action Tortoise posted:

It's more fun to drive in Sleeping Dogs than GTA V, and you don't need Bullet Time to be good at races. I think the developers did Mod Nation Racing so they know how to make a fun arcade-y racing game. Combat is inspired by the Arkham games but it's got enough originality to distinguish itself. Guns are a rarity but the shooting is pretty robust. There's light free running and platforming in certain missions. Unlike GTA you can find consumables everywhere and they'll give a passive bonus after you take them.

The characters in the game are decently written. Initially everyone feels like a caricature but their personalities are compelling. There's probably only one character I didn't care for, and that person never really got any attention until the end. You can do beat cop missions when you're not doing undercover work.

Okay, yeah, this was kinda what I was looking for. Though it's a little disappointing to hear that guns are rare because impromptu stand-offs own, it sounds like having a melee combat system that's more nuanced than "only exists to smack around pedestrians" a la GTA and "instant crotch-slamming win button" a la SRTT and SRIV might make up for it. And really, for like $19 on amazon it seems like a good deal. Thanks, Action Tortoise and others!

EDIT: Oh poo poo, it's $12 on PSN. And there's a demo. I'm apparently a dumbass :ohdear:

Babe Magnet posted:

Also just a quick head's up concerning your issues with GTA5: The online stock market (there's an offline one, too) is going to be down until Social Club stops making GBS threads itself, which won't happen soon because GTA:O is using the Social Club servers and that hits in about a week or so, and the garages were never broken in the first place. They work a bit differently now, and the lack of prompting regarding the change made a lot of goons cry out "broken" before they knew what was actually going on.

Wait, so your saved cars are supposed to vanish at random if you park them somewhere and walk away, because that seems to be the common complaint :confused:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 24, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man now I have to replay Sleeping Dogs. What a great game that was. Thanks a lot for adding a game I've already beaten to my backlog, assholes

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man now I have to replay Sleeping Dogs. What a great game that was. Thanks a lot for adding a game I've already beaten to my backlog, assholes

I'm in the same boat. I did not realize how badly I wanted kung fu in SR4 until y'all motherfuckers reminded me of Sleeping Dogs.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, it's $12 on PSN. And there's a demo. I'm apparently a dumbass :ohdear:

If you can possibly play it on PC, you really should - they've directx-11'd the gently caress out of the game, it's basically a very early cross-generation game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Ugh. Just got super powers and I drop to like 13 fps when racing around.

EDIT: Even at 13 fps, superspeed/jump rule! :stare:

Yes, I bought one recently and it drastically improved my framerate. I was getting about 10-20 FPS with my old HD6850, with the HD7850 now I'm getting 60 FPS with the occasional drop here and there, I suspect my aging Phenom II X4 955 CPU could be causing bottlenecks. Ah, PC Gaming. :pcgaming:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Starhawk64 posted:

Yes, I bought one recently and it drastically improved my framerate. I was getting about 10-20 FPS with my old HD6850, with the HD7850 now I'm getting 60 FPS with the occasional drop here and there, I suspect my aging Phenom II X4 955 CPU could be causing bottlenecks. Ah, PC Gaming. :pcgaming:

Thanks. I guess I'll hold off after all, though. I'm finding it playable 'enough', although I'm used to low frame rates from the old days.

I don't play a lot of graphically intense games, so I'm hoping to hold off on a new card until some really, really big title I'm interested in, like Fallout 4 or something.

The game is great though! If SRV really is some sort of reboot/new story, I hope they just drop the simulation meta story and just make it an open world superhero/villain game. It'd be a shame to go back to being stuck on the ground. The only time I've even got in a car is when they force me to steal one.

Also, 'defend this spot' missions are so much easier when you can instantly summon a mega-tank around yourself. :shepface:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fintilgin posted:

Also, 'defend this spot' missions are so much easier when you can instantly summon a mega-tank around yourself. :shepface:

I wish this worked during super power fight club "king of the hill" segments. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

prefect posted:

I wish this worked during super power fight club "king of the hill" segments. :argh:

Use Fire Buff during those segments. They'll ignite and flail around igniting their friends.

• Locked thread