Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I presume the fast-ish prime we're all talking about is the 19 2.8 or 30 2.8 from Sigma, right? Because the 16mm from Sony is supposed to be a stinker.

And all the other E-mount primes are pretty expensive :(

Then again if you have FD glass just get a nice fast FD prime :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

There's also the Sony 20mm f/2.8. The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 is cheaper and a little better optically, but the Sony is meaningfully smaller.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I presume the fast-ish prime we're all talking about is the 19 2.8 or 30 2.8 from Sigma, right? Because the 16mm from Sony is supposed to be a stinker.

And all the other E-mount primes are pretty expensive :(

Then again if you have FD glass just get a nice fast FD prime :)
Yeah I got a FD 50mm 1.8, maybe a speedy prime won't be that important (I'm usually alright at focusing manually quickly in low light, although I've never used old lenses on a digital body before), maybe I'll even just go for a kit lens instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Yeah I got a FD 50mm 1.8, maybe a speedy prime won't be that important (I'm usually alright at focusing manually quickly in low light, although I've never used old lenses on a digital body before), maybe I'll even just go for a kit lens instead.

Mmmm. I thought I was boss at manually focusing until I started using the NEX. Focus peaking is great, but it's not always 100% accurate. If I absolutely have to have a keeper at f/1.8 then using the digital zoom mode is a must. I've lost a lot of photos shooting wide open like that and praying focus peaking was good enough.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Everyone talks massive amounts of poo poo about the 16mm but I've never really had a problem with mine. It doesn't get so much use these days since my friend gave me an 18-55 (don't often *need* the extra 2mm on the wide end), but I've never found it to be terrible.

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, those early m43 bodies don't have real good high iso, but I don't think the nex-3 is real steller either in that department. It's not until you get up to the -5n and e-p5 that the quality takes a big jump.

I don't think any of the 3/5 series NEX has had much of an improvement in high ISO. A quick google tells me the 5n is a whopping .4 stops better at high ISO than the original 3. Main reason why I haven't upgraded in three years; the 6/7 kinda tempted me, but then it seemed like FF was just around the corner, so I made do with what I had.

I really hope that Zeiss 24-70 for NEX-FF isn't too insanely priced... the 24-70L on my OG 5D was pretty much the perfect combination. Of course, given what Canon is charging for the new 24-70L, I have no real hopes that I'm gonna like what that works out to in Zeissbux.

Have a feeling I'm gonna wind up with ax XE-2 :shrug:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 21, 2013

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Everyone talks massive amounts of poo poo about the 16mm but I've never really had a problem with mine. It doesn't get so much use these days since my friend gave me an 18-55 (don't often *need* the extra 2mm on the wide end), but I've never found it to be terrible.

It is nice to be able to carry a lens on the body and slip the 16mm pancake in my pocket if the need arises for something wider. It is pretty teeny tiny. The poo poo it gets is because it really is not a great lens. Weird distortion, cell phone cameras are sharper than the lens used anywhere near wide open. But then again I have gotten some shots with it that I would not have been able to take because I had it with me since it is so portable.

Regarding focus peaking - got to say it every time I hear about manual focus on a NEX - the viewfinder makes a huge, huge difference. The EVF for the 5N is a good chunk if change, but is such a pleasure to use.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Welp.

I had a hard time choosing between the 35mm and the 18-55 kit. I figure this way I won't be (as) tempted by the 23mm and 56mm primes when they come out, and I can upgrade to the 35mm prime if I really want the faster lens.

Digital Jesus posted:

If any Aussies are keen to get into the Fuji X love, Harvey Norman have the X-E1 with 18-55 for $992.80. I doubt this will last very long, get on it ASAP.
God ... god dammit. I keep telling myself I'd rather support my local shop than Harvey Norman, but that's a great price.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Baron Dirigible posted:

Welp.

I had a hard time choosing between the 35mm and the 18-55 kit. I figure this way I won't be (as) tempted by the 23mm and 56mm primes when they come out, and I can upgrade to the 35mm prime if I really want the faster lens.

God ... god dammit. I keep telling myself I'd rather support my local shop than Harvey Norman, but that's a great price.

I know nothing about Australia, but in general it might be worth it to call your local shop and see if they'll price match -- or at least get in the ballpark to keep your business. They might not be able to, but it's worth the effort to try.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
Your local shop doesn't make anything on camera sales. If you want to support them, buy accessories there. It's all they likely care about anyway.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

Welp.

I'd just go to a local camera store anyway because Gerry Harvey is a oval office.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My parents want a new camera. They have a Canon film DSLR which mostly gathers dust, some Sony superzoom which is now toast, and a barely functional Canon G9, so I figure they can probably handle a decent mirrorless camera in the $350-500 range. The main options seem to be a Panasonic GX3, Olympus E-PL5 or PM2, Sony NEX-3 or Samsung NX1000... maybe an NEX-5 if they're willing to stretch a little. I have some NX lenses I could lend them but other than that they're not invested into any system.

Is Sony's menu system dumb in a novice-friendly way or just plain dumb? I figure their best option is M4/3, and they'll probably stick to a kit lens until they decide they want something better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My main complaint about the Sony menu system isn't that it's really dumb, per se, it's just that it uses stupid icons instead of intelligible things. Instead of listing an aperture it has a guy in front of a mountain and a guy in front of a greyed out mountain. To adjust shutter speed it has a guy running and a guy standing still. It's just kind of unintelligible enough that I think novices would have trouble with it, and pros don't really think to look for pictographs of functions. Either way it's not something you can't overcome. And to be honest if they're used to P&S controls then the Sony isn't THAT much worse. They use those awful picture markings as well sometimes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

eXXon posted:

My parents want a new camera. They have a Canon film DSLR which mostly gathers dust, some Sony superzoom which is now toast, and a barely functional Canon G9, so I figure they can probably handle a decent mirrorless camera in the $350-500 range. The main options seem to be a Panasonic GX3, Olympus E-PL5 or PM2, Sony NEX-3 or Samsung NX1000... maybe an NEX-5 if they're willing to stretch a little. I have some NX lenses I could lend them but other than that they're not invested into any system.

Is Sony's menu system dumb in a novice-friendly way or just plain dumb? I figure their best option is M4/3, and they'll probably stick to a kit lens until they decide they want something better.

The nex menu system is less novice-friendly, and more assumes that you're a literal idiot. My friends Nex-C3 literally came out of the box with one of the 2 function keys on the back set to "help" .

It's literally insulting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Actually I'd like to change my answer to this.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

The nex menu system is less novice-friendly, and more assumes that you're a literal idiot. My friends Nex-C3 literally came out of the box with one of the 2 function keys on the back set to "help" .

A friend brought over her just bought NEX 5R last night for some help on how to use it. Being that I have a 5N I thought, no sweat. Man is it BAD out of the box. A poo poo ton of little icons all over the screen, one of the two custom buttons is set to Wi-Fi instead of something useful etc. I forgot, after having mine set up the way I want it for so long, how bad the menu interface is. After setting up custom keys and spending some time with it, though, it is pretty easy to use (particularly since the 5R has a dial on top which the 5N does not have) instinctively and you don't really have to go into the menu for anything.

So if you are willing to set up the camera for your folks then it is something they would probably like, and the 5R seems to be starting to approach 400 bucks with the kit lens which is a pretty nice price for what it is.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Just get them a canon s95 or whatever rev is out now

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
RX100

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

My first impressions of the xpro 1 are that I adore the OFV, the IQ is incredible, AF is not bad on firmware 3.01, and the battery life is embarassingly, unacceptably bad and Fuji should be ashamed.

Edit: Also, focus peaking is pretty much worthless in practice, which is a shame.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

eXXon posted:

Just go with Canon S110 or Sony RX100, depending on budget.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Fart Car '97 posted:

My first impressions of the xpro 1 are that I adore the OFV, the IQ is incredible, AF is not bad on firmware 3.01, and the battery life is embarassingly, unacceptably bad and Fuji should be ashamed.

Edit: Also, focus peaking is pretty much worthless in practice, which is a shame.

Output RAW but shoot in Sepia and use peaking in 5x or 10x on the back LCD to make it easier. Maybe we'll get selectable colors one day.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Output RAW but shoot in Sepia and use peaking in 5x or 10x on the back LCD to make it easier. Maybe we'll get selectable colors one day.

Selectable colours have been flagged for the next firmware update.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Fuji's macro mode is weird. I tried shooting with my 55-200 yesterday and couldn't understand why I couldn't hit infinity focus. It was a little after sundown, so I figured it must have been a light thing. Then, on a whim, I tried switching the camera to MF and used the AE-L/AF-L button, and it focused without any problem. It wasn't until I got back to my car that I noticed the little flower on the display, and remembered that flower means macro.

Why did Fuji pick a flower to symbolize macro mode? Are bugs too gross to get past marketing?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

Why did Fuji pick a flower to symbolize macro mode? Are bugs too gross to get past marketing?

Because almost every single digital camera has used a flower as the macro symbol.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

That is THE symbol for macro mode.

its u. ;)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Socko posted:

Fuji's macro mode is weird. I tried shooting with my 55-200 yesterday and couldn't understand why I couldn't hit infinity focus. It was a little after sundown, so I figured it must have been a light thing. Then, on a whim, I tried switching the camera to MF and used the AE-L/AF-L button, and it focused without any problem. It wasn't until I got back to my car that I noticed the little flower on the display, and remembered that flower means macro.

You know you can disable macro mode right? long press menu or back, ine of them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ThisQuietReverie posted:

While it's a functioning workaround, that wouldn't be practical in my everyday shooting. Color selection should solve the problem just fine (larger peaking lines would be nice, too).

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
This is a nice post by Bert Stephani about the recent visit to Fujifilm HQ by several photogs and I think it helps explain why, for some of us, there is a type of magic to the Fuji cameras. Also nice note at the end..

quote:

Throughout our visit, we were given the chance to give feedback on top-secret prototypes in various stages of development, from early ideas to almost production ready products. We didn’t have to sign any NDAs or contracts but I’ll leave the honor of announcing new products to the people who design them with so much passion (so dear rumor sites, there’s no reason to keep e-mailing me). But I can tell you is that the future of the X-series looks very exciting.

http://confessionsxl.com/blog/fuji-is-listening/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After renting the X100s I don't think the Fuji craze is going to sweep me up. The AF is slower than I'm used to from the D800/GH3/RX100, and it seems to always want to focus on not what I want it to focus on. I also found manual focus to be tricky. The hybrid evf is definitely trick, but with the AF being iffy (for me) I never felt like I could trust it. Overall the camera just didn't enamor me like it seems to so many photographers—it was more aggravating than anything.

Maybe I just have no soul

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

powderific posted:

Maybe I just have no soul

The Samsung Galaxy cameras are right over here sir. :downs:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Because almost every single digital camera has used a flower as the macro symbol.

spankmeister posted:

That is THE symbol for macro mode.

its u. ;)
Welp. Guess that explains why it looked kind of familiar.

whatever7 posted:

You know you can disable macro mode right? long press menu or back, ine of them.
Yeah, and it is now. I probably assumed it prioritized close focus, rather than act as a focus limiter. I should probably read the manual. :)

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Okay, so after actually taking it out and doing some shots, I kind of love my X-E1. But I've also got a newfound appreciation for my m43 E-PM2. I didn't think the size was so radically different, but after shooting the X-E1, the E-PM2 just feels incredibly small and almost toy-like (even without the pancake lens).

A few questions, though, for you Fuji fans:

How do you handle shooting RAW+JPG? True to reviews, I've found the JPG rendering is so nice OOC that I'd be happy to use that for most shots. But I'm not comfortable going JPG-only. Is there any easy way to replicate the camera's JPG processing on the RAW files? Also, I have access to Lightroom and Aperture, and I've noticed Aperture gives a much darker, more vibrant RAW image, but it vignettes very heavily -- which I think is due to Aperture not applying lens corrections?

How does the whole dynamic range thing work? Specifically, the DR200 / DR400 modes? I'm reading a lot about how it underexposes the image and cranks up the ISO, or something, but I'm not sure how the mode actually works -- is it just a shortcut to a lower EV and high ISO, or does it enable some Fuji magic I can't replicate elsewhere? Does it apply to the RAW or only the JPG?

powderific posted:

The AF is slower than I'm used to from the D800/GH3/RX100, and it seems to always want to focus on not what I want it to focus on. I also found manual focus to be tricky.
Yeah, I'm having some issues with the focusing, as well. It's a lot faster after firmware updates, but the autofocus seems really inconsistent and never seems to grab what I'm after. I also miss the A+MF mode from my m43; I understand you can do the same on the X-E1 by hitting a button to autofocus while in manual focus mode, but it doesn't feel as natural as the half-shutter/adjust focus routine.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Baron Dirigible posted:

How do you handle shooting RAW+JPG?
View a raw file in camera, use a menu to export with whatever processing you want. I don't recall the exact menu names, but it's in plain sight and not hidden or anything.

quote:

How does the whole dynamic range thing work? Specifically, the DR200 / DR400 modes? I'm reading a lot about how it underexposes the image and cranks up the ISO, or something, but I'm not sure how the mode actually works -- is it just a shortcut to a lower EV and high ISO, or does it enable some Fuji magic I can't replicate elsewhere? Does it apply to the RAW or only the JPG?

I think it selectively applies varying ISOs within a single exposure or something magical. If you're shooting RAW, I wouldn't bother because its nowhere near as effective as 5 minutes in Lightroom with a RAW. I guess it's kind of nice if you're a JPEG only workflow.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Helicity posted:

View a raw file in camera, use a menu to export with whatever processing you want. I don't recall the exact menu names, but it's in plain sight and not hidden or anything.
Sorry, I should have phrased my question better. Is there any good / easy way to make the RAW look like the OOC JPG? I'm thinking it should be, as you say, easy work in Lightroom, but a shortcut would be handy.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Baron Dirigible posted:

Sorry, I should have phrased my question better. Is there any good / easy way to make the RAW look like the OOC JPG? I'm thinking it should be, as you say, easy work in Lightroom, but a shortcut would be handy.

I meant the DR would be easy work in Lightroom, the JPEG processing with the colors/etc is another matter entirely. There are a few people that are selling LR presets that get somewhat close, but I haven't seen anything that nails it. Fuji has a really, really good JPEG process.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Currently visiting NYC, and holy crap can you pick out a tourist by the DSLR anchor around their neck. Why do people still buy these beasts? I haven't seen a single X system camera yet, but I definitely spotted and OMD on the Williamsburg bridge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy crap, short of getting an EVF I would say that a nice cheap plastic LCD popup shade should be MANDATORY equipment for NEX users. Made my 5N 100% usable in sunlight, and the shade is unobtrusive to say the least.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hello I just bought a Pentax K-01 because I have a bunch of lenses (but I hear the default 40mm is actually supposed to be really great? I've seen some amazing shots with it). Can I join your skinny camera club even though it's kind of a brick?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The K-01 is a nice camera trapped in an awful body. How much are they going for these days?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bob Socko posted:

The K-01 is a nice camera trapped in an awful body. How much are they going for these days?

450~ including the lens, 350~ for just a body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

krooj posted:

Currently visiting NYC, and holy crap can you pick out a tourist by the DSLR anchor around their neck. Why do people still buy these beasts? I haven't seen a single X system camera yet, but I definitely spotted and OMD on the Williamsburg bridge.

I had seen quite a few NEXs during my trip to Europe. I think I saw at least one NEX user (who I think were all Asian*) per city in my time in London, Paris, and Prague. Of course, they were equipped with the kit 18-55mm while I was mainly rocking the Sigma 30mm for much of the trip.

*I couldn't tell if they were Chinese, Japanese, or Korean despite being Chinese myself. They didn't talk a lot so I couldn't tell what language they were or weren't speaking.