Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Baddog posted:

When the wife gets back, she goes to interrogate the grandma and find out what's wrong with this kid. Apparently he has 'bubbles'. Yah, no poo poo.

I would have punched that woman in the temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

blinkyzero posted:

These are Judge Dee films, right? I've never seen any of the movies, but I've read many of the different takes on him by Eastern and Western authors and really liked most of them.

Yeah; although I never knew Judge Dee was a thing outside of China. I've read a few Judge Bao stories, and they were pretty cool, but the 2011 movie was my first exposure to Di Renjie.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Rabelais D posted:

Yeah; although I never knew Judge Dee was a thing outside of China. I've read a few Judge Bao stories, and they were pretty cool, but the 2011 movie was my first exposure to Di Renjie.

I don't think he is a thing outside China, honestly. I just had a Chinese history professor in college who loved Judge Dee the way some people these days love Sherlock Holmes because of the BBC and the Hollywood movies.

Thanks for the good word about the movies. I'll definitely check those out!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

GuestBob posted:

I always forget whether it's a good strategy to buy the utilities or not.

The more utilities you own the more rent you get when the Top Hat lands on them. Pretty sure that's right.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

TheBuilder posted:

Just a little unsolicited advice for you guys that marry into the culture - if you have kids, never ever relinquish your child care duties to an in law or relative no matter how many times they offer. In my experience, my in laws (parents and sisters in law) felt I couldn't have any child care skills so they attempted to veil this distrust under the guise of trying to let me work on hobbies or sleep more during the first 3 months of the baby's life.

I let my sister in law stay with my wife in our bed for 6 weeks and she helped feed and care for the baby before she started sleeping through the night. Other times, I'd be holding my daughter after work and the sister in law would sweep in to take her away so I could "play game".

This really started loving with our home dynamic, my relationship with my wife, and the bond that wasn't being formed with my child. My wife was the first to put the brakes on the situation and got her sister the hell out of the house, and things improved tremendously. This is a critical time for bonding with your children, and you won't be able to get that back.

I have several coworkers that immediately sent their children away to be raised by the grandparents back in their hometown, with both actual parents only having spent a relatively short time with their infant before going back to work. I think that's crazy. One of my coworkers recently told me she went back to her hometown to see her 11 month old son that's being raised by its grandparents and her son didn't even recognize her for about 2 days. I hear stories like this fairly regularly and it seems ridiculously awful.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

I have several coworkers that immediately sent their children away to be raised by the grandparents back in their hometown, with both actual parents only having spent a relatively short time with their infant before going back to work. I think that's crazy. One of my coworkers recently told me she went back to her hometown to see her 11 month old son that's being raised by its grandparents and her son didn't even recognize her for about 2 days. I hear stories like this fairly regularly and it seems ridiculously awful.

Yeah, raising children isn't just about turning babies into people. It's also about turning people into parents. This kind of separation seems like a recipe for disaster. A lot of my students are in similar situations even now, as teenagers, and they talk all the time about how they really know nothing about their mothers and fathers, nor do their mothers and fathers know anything at all about them.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

blinkyzero posted:

These are Judge Dee films, right? I've never seen any of the movies, but I've read many of the different takes on him by Eastern and Western authors and really liked most of them.

Could you suggest some? I'm about to write a paper on early 20th century Chinese detective literature, but truthfully I don't know much beyond one author and I'm pretty ignorant on more traditional stuff.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Donraj posted:

Could you suggest some? I'm about to write a paper on early 20th century Chinese detective literature, but truthfully I don't know much beyond one author and I'm pretty ignorant on more traditional stuff.

Have you read the Magistrate Pao stories?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Donraj posted:

I don't know much about the subgenre itself, unfortunately, especially at that time, but I do know a fair bit about the Dee stories specifically.

You should start with Robert van Gulik's stuff. He was Dutch, but wrote mostly in English and had everything translated to Japanese and Chinese afterwards. (Interestingly, the Japanese were at first far more into Chinese detective fiction than the Chinese were, though of course this probably had a lot to do with when van Gulik was writing -- the turmoil of the 50s and 60s). His first book is actually more or less just a translation of the Judge Dee Cases, a Chinese book by an anonymous 18th century author that van Gulik supposedly found somewhere in Japan. I'm guessing this is the guy you've heard about. Anyway, he's definitely worth reading, and there's a lot of him to read. Fun stories, especially when he freed himself from the original text and started making up his own stuff. Van Gulik himself was a really interesting dude too.

Much more recently there's the Tales of Judge Dee by Zhu Xiaodi. Definitely continues where van Gulik left off. I read an interview where Xiaodi said that was his goal, so it makes sense. Pretty sure he hasn't done more yet, but I think Tales came out not that long ago. I read it in 2009 while I was still an undergrad.

I think there were some French and Swedish writers working with the Dee character too, but I haven't read them. When I looked in college, none of their stuff had been translated yet into English (or Chinese, not that it would've helped me any then and not much more now). That might have changed since, though. I don't recall their names, but I'm sure it's on Amazon or Wiki somewhere.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Baddog posted:

Probably a question for pro-prc, we want to invest a pretty good chunk of rmb - Bank of China 6 month CD is just 2.85%. I think I saw a fairly lengthy post on this a while back, but the smaller banks offer some non guaranteed investment options right? 2.85 guaranteed is good compared to US rates, but I dont feel that great about it given the rate of inflation over here and the corresponding currency exchange risk.

Go to Wu Tang Financial. You need to diversify yo bonds, nigga.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Sogol posted:

Have you read the Magistrate Pao stories?

No, but I've heard of them and mean to do so.

quote:

His first book is actually more or less just a translation of the Judge Dee Cases, a Chinese book by an anonymous 18th century author that van Gulik supposedly found somewhere in Japan. I'm guessing this is the guy you've heard about.

I believe I have that book sitting on my table right now. It was actually next on my list.

And the guy I'm talking about is a Shanghai writer named Cheng Xiaoqing who was actively mainly in the 30s. Near as I can tell most of his stuff hasn't been translated.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Tourism & Travel > The China Megathread III: it seems ridiculously awful.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TheBuilder posted:

Just a little unsolicited advice for you guys that marry into the culture - if you have kids, never ever relinquish your child care duties to an in law or relative no matter how many times they offer.

Or the kid could end up living in an unfinished basement with ducks and chickens.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
It was recommended I ask this question here.

Want to buy the mother in law some books before she goes back to Shanghai. She used to speak Russian but "that knowledge has gone back to the teacher". I was thinking of getting her a Chinese translation of my favorite Russian novel Dr. Zhivago. I'm also going to buy her a copy of the novel in Russian as well.

Any ideas?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Get her a book on Russian mothers-in-law. That's my best advice based on what you have told me: she is your mother-in-law and she once spoke Russian (and so is presumably interested in Russia?).

Try googling "Russia" "mother-in-law" "book" and "中文版". Also Taobao.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

日瓦戈医生 is Dr. Zhivago in Chinese. Most Russian and really all Eastern European stuff is easily available in Chinese. I know a lot of people who love them some Milan Kundera.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
But don't deliberate too long. You need to hurry up and get her a Chinese-language book before she goes back to Shanghai.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey I'm in Shanghai, can I get her number for when she gets back here?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Whoa dude, don't go hooking up with people's mother-in-law.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Why not? It's all part of The Real China Experience. Just because she's someone's mother in law doesn't mean she doesn't have needs...

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
drat like four days here and you have already morphed into TWM

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Buddy, I liked moms long before I got here.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

goldboilermark posted:

drat like four days here and you have already morphed into TWM

No, TWM was occasionally amusing

\/\/ yeah this is what I'm talking about

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 23, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Ohhhhhh buuuurrrrrrnnn

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 24, 2013

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Buddy, I liked moms long before I got here.

If you really like her, you should drink some hot water.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

\/\/ yeah this is what I'm talking about

I miss TWM and he is a good friend in real life but I think people forget how awful of a poster he was his first year plus in this thread

I still miss him terribly :dings:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Everything is so much better today - vpn to amsterdam, gamepass.nfl.com

edit - then drop vpn for much better frames/quality.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 24, 2013

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Baddog posted:

Everything is so much better today - vpn to amsterdam, gamepass.nfl.com

edit - then drop vpn for much better frames/quality.

I hear you. I actually sprung for an MLB.TV subscription this year, and it was totally worth the money. Kicking back and watching American sports is a great cure-all for the occasional China ills, for me anyway.

Speaking of China ills -- I've been feeling like poo poo for a few hours every day after my classes, and this morning I suspected that it had something to do with the water that I drink while I'm teaching. We have one of those dispensers with the heater thingy and the jugs are delivered to us as needed, sealed (in plastic wrap, no less). On a lark, I went all day without drinking any of it and I feel a lot better than I have been recently by this point in the afternoon. This water's pretty loving suspect to me now. That these jugs are being filled out of a tap somewhere downriver is a disturbing prospect, especially since Yuyao's in the immediate vicinity of the great Shanghai Floating Piggy Parkway.

That got me curious about just how bad the water is in this country, so I looked into it. I'd read about the "black ice" factories in Beijing and of course I knew that water's a pretty serious issue in the country at large, but holy poo poo. There are hydrologists out there that seriously think it could be the doom of the entire nation. Hyperbolic, but even the government estimates there are no less than 300 million citizens without any access to clean water, and hundreds of millions more who are scraping by on the bare minimum.

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 24, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yeah I think I read that 40% of China's fresh water is considered unsafe for contact with humans.

e: Or maybe this was what I was thinking: 28% of China's rivers and lakes are so badly polluted they're considered unfit for even industrial or agricultural use.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 24, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

blinkyzero posted:

I hear you. I actually sprung for an MLB.TV subscription this year, and it was totally worth the money. Kicking back and watching American sports is a great cure-all for the occasional China ills, for me anyway.

Maybe I'll get the NHL equivalent this year. Unlike basketball and soccer which is all over everywhere, and other sports which have enough Americans to support... there's never any hockey anywhere :smith:

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

Maybe I'll get the NHL equivalent this year. Unlike basketball and soccer which is all over everywhere, and other sports which have enough Americans to support... there's never any hockey anywhere :smith:

I was thinking of getting the NHL package too. Baseball season's winding down, and I do love the Penguins.

When I got the MLB.TV subscription, I had gone back and forth for like a week on whether it was a responsible use of the $110 or whatever it was. It's not that it would strap our budget; I'm just that much of a miser. It looks like a ridiculous internal debate now when I realize that, in the last seven days, I have only spent 150 RMB...and 110 of that was grocery shopping this evening.

Considering all the free stuff and perks teachers (foreigners in general) get for working in this country, it can be really, really easy to save a ton of money without even trying.

MeramJert posted:

Yeah I think I read that 40% of China's fresh water is considered unsafe for contact with humans.

e: Or maybe this was what I was thinking: 28% of China's rivers and lakes are so badly polluted they're considered unfit for even industrial or agricultural use.

Good Lord, 28% not fit for industrial use? That's pretty awful.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

I have NFL Gamepass if any Chengoons with a real TV and Internet ever want to get together and watch some games, but I was took cheap to spring for the playoffs. Maybe I'll get them later in the season

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have a TV of decent size and a nice couch, and decent Internet but I live in the boonies and you might take a cockroach home with you. :ohdear:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The boonies is always the best place to live.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Monkey Fury posted:

I have NFL Gamepass if any Chengoons with a real TV and Internet ever want to get together and watch some games, but I was took cheap to spring for the playoffs. Maybe I'll get them later in the season

I probably wasnt clear enough in my post, gamepass is free if you vpn to the netherlands first (or argentina supposedly, I didnt try that though). Then once you have the stream going, drop the vpn for better framerate. I had high def going most of the game.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Baddog posted:

I probably wasnt clear enough in my post, gamepass is free if you vpn to the netherlands first (or argentina supposedly, I didnt try that though). Then once you have the stream going, drop the vpn for better framerate. I had high def going most of the game.

Well I'll be damned. This is Relevant To My Interests.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
Big news guys!

Four Seasons Shenzhen is opening in just four days. I got a promotional e-mail today.

From their blurb:

quote:

From the moment you arrive in Shenzhen, you’ll feel like you’ve escaped to the future. Which is hardly surprising considering it’s one of China’s most vibrant destinations for business travellers.

And when you stay at the new Four Seasons Hotel Shenzhen, we’ll make sure your trip isn’t just a success, we’ll also make sure it’s pleasurable too.

Because there are a vast number of other things to enjoy in Shenzhen - from a rich arts scene and shopping to the world’s largest golf course.

- A number of things to do so vast that they include 'shopping' in a list of three fairly generic things. Shenzhen isn't even good for shopping really.

Whenever I have to go from HK to Shenzhen I feel like I am being marched back to a prisoner of war camp. Escape to the future*!

*1980's dystopia.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

"Golf Course" is a public school euphemism for "Brothel" by the way.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
Somebody needs to publish a dictionary of public school euphemisms. Or at the very least a glossary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

GuestBob posted:

"Golf Course" is a public school euphemism for "Brothel" by the way.

This explains why my father used to spend so much time at the "driving range."