Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Here's a .PDF copy of my resume for critique. It looks like everything's saved properly, bullets and formatting alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Advice request. I am in engineering and I applied to an internal job posting (a significant reach, but by the letter of the law I meet the requirements) two weeks ago. The post close date was 9/20. Today the deadline was extended to 10/31, which sounds to me like HR isn't impressed with the applicants so far.

HR here is a black hole, but would it be worthwhile to send an email or call to reiterate my interest? I am hesitant to do this because I don't have anything meaningful to add to my resume or cover letter.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Below is the critique of someone from the thread who emailed me for feedback of his resume. I hope you find this helpful.

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 23, 2013

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

DustingDuvet posted:

Below is the critique of someone from the thread who emailed me for feedback of his resume. I hope you find this helpful.

With regard to your comment on that critique, I used LinkedIn and started with a basic skill in my field (I used "GIS"), and then went through the suggestions that LinkedIn provided and kind of fleshed things out that way.

Also, you critiques have been super helpful and have really helped to improve my resume - thanks for doing them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have a question about what relevant components of employment/education go on a resume. I'm currently just finishing up a M.Sc in biological sciences and grabbed a B.Sc. in environmental sciences in 2009.

Really the only relevant "job" I've ever had in my field was supposed to be this amazing contract position that opened after I got my B.Sc. It went to poo poo because the contractors for the project got into a political slapfight, leaving me with four months of literally doing nothing and getting paid for it. No this is not at all an exaggeration. Should this go on the resume? I mean, I didn't really do anything, but I was at least qualified enough to get the position.

This leaves me with my graduate and undergraduate work. I did do quite a lot of field and lab work for my degrees, giving me experience with various procedures and experimental design. Likewise, my graduate degree experience involved quite a bit of teaching, as a TA for laboratory classes, for funding purposes.

Anyway, my question is: What do I do with this experience? I feel like it should be emphasized differently than the education section, but at the same time none of these were really "employment." Being a teaching assistant is a bit of a grey area that could go in the employment section, because it was pretty much considered a real job, but it's still just a requirement that most grad students go through.

Furthermore, the only references I have are my graduate supervisors and teaching coordinators. I don't have any for the job I mentioned above for reasons I don't want to get into. Is this a problem?

Can someone offer up some advice? Is anyone else in this thread a M.Sc. graduate that can weigh in?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
The stuff Dusting Duvet is posting seems helpful, but to be honest it seems like he is posting examples of still very incomplete resumes. I get that he is selling a service, but I really think that you shouldn't use that as a be all end all model.

dur posted:

With regard to your comment on that critique, I used LinkedIn and started with a basic skill in my field (I used "GIS"), and then went through the suggestions that LinkedIn provided and kind of fleshed things out that way.

Also, you critiques have been super helpful and have really helped to improve my resume - thanks for doing them.

If this is in reference to the resume above, holy poo poo those are a ton of bullets. I don't really think that his critiques hit the really important stuff on your resume.

If I were you, I would move to the format I link below-- it seems really standard for the corporate world.

Also, the bullet points need to be rephrased into a format: Did X, with Y skill, had Z impact. For example: Designed a model of X using Y program which determined that Z. Introduced Y program in order to increase revenues by X percent. You want to show what you did, what skills that represents, and what impressive impacts you had. Also, think about your bullet points in terms of what skills they show.

I don't know what position you are applying for, but try to emphasize these aspects: Leadership, Problem-Solving (what this means depends on your skills), Communication skills (most important if client-facing, of course). In my opinion those are useful for almost any job, and using that as my resume guideline I have been getting interviews from a variety of industries. You don't necessarily need to list everything you did -- think of the most relevant examples of each of these skills.

For example, it seems as though a lot of your Sunoco bullets are redundant. If you cut out the stuff about Peoplesoft, for example, and just put it later as a skill, then you have more space. Do the same with some more bullets, and you have room for a "Leadership" activity where you talk about running the banking club or whatever.

neogeo0823 posted:

Here's a .PDF copy of my resume for critique. It looks like everything's saved properly, bullets and formatting alike.

I don't really like your formatting. I think the best format for a business resume is something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fabiv3l1gk22fsn/Resume%20Template.docx . Obviously don't include high school if you're 10+ years out of school. Similarly, you might just have an experience section since you aren't a recent graduate.

antiga posted:

Advice request. I am in engineering and I applied to an internal job posting (a significant reach, but by the letter of the law I meet the requirements) two weeks ago. The post close date was 9/20. Today the deadline was extended to 10/31, which sounds to me like HR isn't impressed with the applicants so far.

HR here is a black hole, but would it be worthwhile to send an email or call to reiterate my interest? I am hesitant to do this because I don't have anything meaningful to add to my resume or cover letter.

If I were you I would! Maybe reiterate your interest and say you would be happy to discuss your candidacy with them at XXX phone or email?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

semicolonsrock posted:

I don't really like your formatting. I think the best format for a business resume is something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fabiv3l1gk22fsn/Resume%20Template.docx . Obviously don't include high school if you're 10+ years out of school. Similarly, you might just have an experience section since you aren't a recent graduate.

Thanks for the template. Formatting is my current "biggest hurdle", so I'll rewrite the resume and fit it into that template. Anything else that you think I should change? Anything about the bullet points, or the like?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

semicolonsrock posted:

The stuff Dusting Duvet is posting seems helpful, but to be honest it seems like he is posting examples of still very incomplete resumes. I get that he is selling a service, but I really think that you shouldn't use that as a be all end all model.

Yes, I am posting very incomplete resumes because this just happens to be the people who are asking for resume critiques. I am in no way trying to show anyone here a complete product, but to give some very basic free advice that can point people in the right direction. Certainly nothing I’ve put on here is, or even remotely resembles, a finished product.

My critiques are intended to point to specific issues and show quick and easy ways individual resumes can be improved. I often choose the most incomplete resumes because I feel that the owners of those resumes would benefit most from a basic critique.

“Dur,” I’m glad you find them helpful. I guess I should make it clear that my critiques are the starting point, not the final destination. Anyone following my advice as a rule would be missing the point entirely. Though I don't think "dur" was implying that he or she is doing that either.

If anyone wants me to critique a more advanced resume, I would be happy to do so. I will still have many issues to critique, just different ones.

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 23, 2013

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

corkskroo posted:

I'm adapting my US-style resume into a UK-style CV. I've added more employment history and have swapped out responsibilities with achievements wherever possible. I've read conflicting things about introductory statements and the like. Should I have one? Also, my formatting is very, very simple: Times New Roman text, no visual elements beyond text. I'm not a graphic designer (although I work in a graphical field). Should I bother doing some sort of gussied-up layout? If I put things in boxes I could put awards/achievements in a sidebar or something that would move its positioning up, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I'll break out InDesign and play around I guess.

Sorry, just reposting this because I'm not not sure about the UK component. Personal statement? Yea or nay?

(And I have gone full on InDesign at this point. Because, you know, why not.)

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

I have an interview with the state, not the federal government, does this apply for that as well? I've got a nicely tailored one page resume I am hoping will do. I realize it probably varies from state to state but, does anyone have some words of wisdom for resumes and civil service interviews?

This might be moot for you at this point, but I also had an interview with a state department this past week and it was by far the chillest interview experience I've ever had. There wasn't any type of phone screening beyond asking what day/time I could come in. I was sort of surprised that I was interviewed by two people (the head of the department and the district supervisor where I would be working), but they mostly just traded off asking questions and chatting about things relating to the postion. The questions were much more targeted towards past experiences how I would handle certain potential situations than "Tell us why should WE hire YOU?" type questions.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

DustingDuvet posted:

Yes, I am posting very incomplete resumes because this just happens to be the people who are asking for resume critiques. I am in no way trying to show anyone here a complete product, but to give some very basic free advice that can point people in the right direction. Certainly nothing I’ve put on here is, or even remotely resembles, a finished product.

My critiques are intended to point to specific issues and show quick and easy ways individual resumes can be improved. I often choose the most incomplete resumes because I feel that the owners of those resumes would benefit most from a basic critique.

“Dur,” I’m glad you find them helpful. I guess I should make it clear that my critiques are the starting point, not the final destination. Anyone following my advice as a rule would be missing the point entirely. Though I don't think "dur" was implying that he or she is doing that either.

If anyone wants me to critique a more advanced resume, I would be happy to do so. I will still have many issues to critique, just different ones.

Yeah, I was definitely not meaning to imply that at all! Just in case people got confused!

I will gladly volunteer to send you a more advanced resume -- your PMs are full, but if you email me at applepielon at gmail dot com, I can send you a resume which I've worked on for awhile, but which probably still has big issues.

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 24, 2013

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

semicolonsrock posted:

Yeah, I was definitely not meaning to imply that at all! Just in case people got confused!

I will gladly volunteer to send you a more advanced resume -- your PMs are full, but if you email me at applepielon at gmail dot com, I can send you a resume which I've worked on for awhile, but which probably still has big issues.

Sure. I just cleared my inbox. I will be posting the critique in this thread so feel free to delete any personal information from the resume.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Question: I had an interview for a kick-rear end white collar job a month or so ago that I feel like I totally nailed. I'd just heard from the interviewer yesterday that it's now narrowed down between myself and another candidate. The problem is, a couple weeks ago I was terminated from my existing job for a critical violation of the company's safety policy. I'd attempted to contact the person doing the hiring at this prospective job a few times but was unable to get a hold of him and I didn't feel "OH HEY I WAS JUST FIRED, WHOOPS!" was really the type of thing I should drop into a voicemail inbox. I'd since found (temporary) employment elsewhere in a completely unrelated field. Basically, a really poo poo job just to pay bills while I hunt for something better.

How do I explain this to the prospective employer in the best possible manner? IS there even a best possible manner?

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

DustingDuvet posted:

I would love a critique of mine. I'm trying to transition into a new career, taking some of the skills I use at my current job and applying them full time in a new one.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxhbaTTQZdeTcVhCOVd1cVhzRFk/edit?usp=sharing

I've gone back to school to become an expert in GIS analysis, and that's what I want to do full time.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

semicolonsrock posted:

I have posted your critique below.

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

nominal posted:

Question: I had an interview for a kick-rear end white collar job a month or so ago that I feel like I totally nailed. I'd just heard from the interviewer yesterday that it's now narrowed down between myself and another candidate. The problem is, a couple weeks ago I was terminated from my existing job for a critical violation of the company's safety policy. I'd attempted to contact the person doing the hiring at this prospective job a few times but was unable to get a hold of him and I didn't feel "OH HEY I WAS JUST FIRED, WHOOPS!" was really the type of thing I should drop into a voicemail inbox. I'd since found (temporary) employment elsewhere in a completely unrelated field. Basically, a really poo poo job just to pay bills while I hunt for something better.

How do I explain this to the prospective employer in the best possible manner? IS there even a best possible manner?

Why would you bring it up? The prospective employer only knows about your past job through what you tell them about it. Now if they start asking if you still work there to contact your manager or something you're going to have to come up with something, but I'd try to avoid the subject, and certainly not volunteer it.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

Most companies will contact your previous employer for verification of dates of employment and also ask for the reason for separation.

It's up to your previous employer whether or not to disclose the reason. You can ask HR at your previous employer what information they will disclose if contacted to know whether or not you need to volunteer the information ahead of time, particularly if you already put something different about your employment status on an application.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm updating my resume - I had help on mine from ResumeToInterviews from this very forum, so I'm pretty happy with most of it (it got me my current job). I'm just adding my current job to it, and I wanted to make sure the new stuff sounds good. Here's the parts in question, with personal information removed - my comments in italic:

SUMMARY OF QUALIFCATIONS
An Office Manager and Administrative Assistant with entry level work experience, specializing in the management of daily office operations at a small business
- I'm no longer entry level - I have 1 year of experience as an admin assistant before I got my business management degree, and 3 years as an office manager after. What's a good term for that? "Mid-level experience"?

Office Manager
November 2010-current
[Company name]
 Managed daily business operations for office furniture factory marketing representative’s office, including designing and implementing new cloud-based organization systems and work processes
 Provided extensive IT support, and utilizing outside contractors when more specialized support was required
- I want to express that I'm good at IT even though I'm not an IT professional, and when something that is outside of my expertise comes up, I'm able to quickly find the correct outside resources to fix the issue. I'm not happy with this line as-is because it makes it sound like I'm not good at IT. What's a better way to phrase it?
 Coordinated marketing and advertising initiatives including the design of promotional materials and many successful online marketing campaigns
 Supported CEO with travel, scheduling, meetings, and correspondence
 Extensive direct customer service with salespeople and end users, covering critical sale quotes, warranty claims, and specialized product information
 Improved customer service based on customer/staff feedback through the development of new policies and procedures
 Created a successful tracking program to manage hundreds of demo sample chairs circulating in the local area, ensuring availability of all models and accountability of returning chairs
 Trained new employees and provided feedback to aid in developing and enhancing skills
 Wrote a detailed employee procedure handbook covering all job processes.
 Maintained the company’s website with product information and resource pages

Any input on any part of it?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

standardtoaster posted:

I would love a critique of mine. I'm trying to transition into a new career, taking some of the skills I use at my current job and applying them full time in a new one.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxhbaTTQZdeTcVhCOVd1cVhzRFk/edit?usp=sharing

I've gone back to school to become an expert in GIS analysis, and that's what I want to do full time.

I'm doing a master's in GIS and looking for work, actually just got my first interview offer a couple hours ago. That being said:

Qualifications should be turned into a shorter and more concise Summary of Qualifications, although I've had some professors suggest it is not necessary if you want to make more room for accomplishments.

Selected accomplishments is redundant if your work experience shows accomplishments.

quote:

Performed analyses of natural gas well impact on groundwater contamination using
lithology and spatial data in ArcGIS.

What analyses of what? "Created unique hot spot analysis in python/model builder to do blah blah blah"

quote:

Created oil and natural gas well feature datasets including key field data, domains, and
subtypes, and created feature classes using geolocation data.
Again, be more specific

quote:

Created analysis maps for expert testimony reports using ArcMap showing the
georeferenced locations of sampling points, oil and natural gas wells, property parcels,roads, and wind speed and wind direction. The maps included titles, legends, compass rose, map descriptions, sources, coordinate system or projection used, and scales.
Condense the first sentence. The second sentence is dumb, you pressed Insert and then clicked the appropriate buttons. Anyone can do this because the work is done by the computer for you.

You can go down the page and ask yourself how you can be more concise and specific for the rest of your work experience. You also should try to move this into one page. One idea would be to put your name in a header or make the titles of sections 12 point font and the text be 11 point font. You should also build a table for your skills and show that off somewhere instead of mixing them into course work. That section is confusing and you should try to avoid mentioning coursework that you've completed. If you do want to do that, have an academic projects section and put something like:

quote:

Spatial Statistics
Performed Location Quotient analysis of home loan defaults to determine potential mortgage fraud and abuse locations

And then have a map available.

I am also eventually going for ESRI Desktop Associate. However, I haven't done that yet and don't think it should be included with a resume - a page of accomplishments.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I'm just getting started in GIS but these are my impressions.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to posit a question like this, but basically I'm looking for advice on how to handle telling potential employers about my disability, as well as if the businesses I'm applying to should have to accommodate me under the ADA. The first paragraph is mostly legal stuff, so skip that if you can't help me there. the second one is about the one experience in which i DID get an in person interview

I'm legally blind. I am actually mostly functional; I'm right on the border for the definition of blindness, and the only real way it impairs me is that I am not allowed to have a driver's license (due to me plain being unable to pass any driving test). Little did I know this would have a massive impact on my chosen field: music teaching. Or more specifically, private guitar teaching, which I've been doing on my own for a few years. However, there's lots of little private music education studios in my state (MA) as well, and having access to a place where administration of my students is handled by someone else, and I can focus on teaching as many as I can rather than trying to hustle up students 24/7, would be wonderful. Turns out, 95% of jobs that advertise wanting a guitar teacher require you to own a car, presumably so you can drive to each student's house personally. I've been turned down for at least 6 jobs I'm more than qualified for simply because I can never drive. The places I'm applying to don't have much by way of public transport either, as they're mostly juuuuust outside the city, meaning I can get INTO the town on public transport, but not around it effectively. My first question that doesn't really belong here is if this is violating the ADA in any way. I don't want to have to get into a legal battle to try and get a job, but at this point, I'm just extremely frustrated with not being able to even be considered despite my qualifications.

There was one place that actually did give me an interview, but I didn't mention my disability until the interview itself since this job didn't require me to have a car, (had its own studio space instead of having you drive to student's houses). I brought it up simply because I felt like it's something people should know about me before they agree to work with me. You seriously wouldn't even notice I was blind until you tried to get me to read something more than 4 inches from my face. Does anyone here with a disability that's not very immediately visible know a tactful way to bring this up? Or should I not be mentioning it until someone asks me "see that over there" and I say "nope"? Every time I bring it up in an interview (with places that aren't music education related either), the interviewer gets this deer-in-headlights panicked look across their face for a half a second, and the more self-defeating part of me worries that that's them trying to figure out how to move me to the bottom of the pile of applicants without getting sued. I'm aware most people aren't horrible pieces of poo poo about people with disabilities, but that doesn't mean they can't be subconsciously rationalizing not selecting me for another reason.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

DustingDuvet posted:

I have posted your critique below.

Thanks so much, this is really helpful! Maybe I'm wrong, but I think some of the comments were cut off due to lack of space -- is that the case?

The GPA and high school points are good ones-- I've only included them because I'm applying to jobs in the edge case that you mentioned, where they ask for GPA and test scores, and because my high school is one well-known to people in the industry with a lot of alums active there. I'm definitely going to be doing a significant edit though!

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

semicolonsrock posted:

Thanks so much, this is really helpful! Maybe I'm wrong, but I think some of the comments were cut off due to lack of space -- is that the case?

The GPA and high school points are good ones-- I've only included them because I'm applying to jobs in the edge case that you mentioned, where they ask for GPA and test scores, and because my high school is one well-known to people in the industry with a lot of alums active there. I'm definitely going to be doing a significant edit though!

I am glad you found this helpful. I also emailed you the document to the email address you listed in the thread so you can view the complete comments.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

DustingDuvet posted:

I am glad you found this helpful. I also emailed you the document to the email address you listed in the thread so you can view the complete comments.

Oh, thanks! Totally missed that since it's sort of a throwaway account.

Wackymole
Aug 23, 2008
I graduated back in June with a degree in mechanical engineering. If anyone could give a critique of mine, it would be much appreciated.

pdf version
docx version

I've been hunting for entry level positions in design and controls.

Wackymole fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 25, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

I have a question about what relevant components of employment/education go on a resume. I'm currently just finishing up a M.Sc in biological sciences and grabbed a B.Sc. in environmental sciences in 2009.

Sorry to bump this so soon, but I have an additional related question. Is "Major GPA" something American schools do on their transcripts, or is it something you have to do yourself?

I ask because my undergrad cumulative GPA and the GPA calculated from required courses are the same (3.2). However, if I further narrow down the calculation to courses relevant to the industry I'm interested in working in it bumps to 3.5, making it a little more eligible to sick on my resume.

Is this basically how it's done, or is excluding courses like that considered dishonest and a no-no?

Edit: I'm in Canada and plan to stay here, if it matters any.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 25, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mak0rz posted:

Sorry to bump this so soon, but I have an additional related question. Is "Major GPA" something American schools do on their transcripts, or is it something you have to do yourself?

I ask because my undergrad cumulative GPA and the GPA calculated from required courses are the same (3.2). However, if I further narrow down the calculation to courses relevant to the industry I'm interested in working in it bumps to 3.5, making it a little more eligible to sick on my resume.

Is this basically how it's done, or is excluding courses like that considered dishonest and a no-no?

Edit: I'm in Canada and plan to stay here, if it matters any.

Nobody's ever asked me about Major GPA here in the U.S. In fact, I've had at least one person advise me to not put GPA on my resume at all, since I have a graduate degree too. I've never been asked about my GPA in an interview either but maybe that's just me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

C-Euro posted:

Nobody's ever asked me about Major GPA here in the U.S. In fact, I've had at least one person advise me to not put GPA on my resume at all, since I have a graduate degree too. I've never been asked about my GPA in an interview either but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I'll have a graduate degree too, soon. Maybe that makes the undergrad GPA moot. I remember you from the grad school thread and (I think) saw in DustingDuvet's thread that you grabbed a position. Congratulations :)

Can you weigh in on whether or not your graduate research or TA-ing should go in the same section as your employment history?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
So basically the employer is required to make "reasonable accommodations" for you. You'd need to talk to an employment lawyer for state of the art but forcing a company to provide your transportation to/from client sites is probably not a reasonable accommodation.

Re: your 2nd paragraph, what would probably work best is to just bring it up on your first day. "Just so you know, I have a pretty severe near-vision problem but I can work around it by XYZ." I wouldn't mention it in the interview or offer negotiation processes unless you require some sort of non-reasonable accommodation to do the job in question, in which case you have to let them know so they can make it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I'll have a graduate degree too, soon. Maybe that makes the undergrad GPA moot. I remember you from the grad school thread and (I think) saw in DustingDuvet's thread that you grabbed a position. Congratulations :)

Can you weigh in on whether or not your graduate research or TA-ing should go in the same section as your employment history?

Thanks :respek: Since I have no actual industry experience I put my grad research and teaching assistant positions in my resume as separate entries. Surprisingly enough, I had a couple people in today's (successful) interview ask for a few words on my teaching post, which let me use an encounter I had with some former students as a "personal touch" story. As I get more actual industry entries to my resume I'll probably condense those two sections into one. The only person in any interview who has asked me about my graduate research has been the smartest/most senior person on that interview, and even then it's more out of curiosity and learning my work style than anything else.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 25, 2013

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

DukAmok posted:

Why would you bring it up? The prospective employer only knows about your past job through what you tell them about it. Now if they start asking if you still work there to contact your manager or something you're going to have to come up with something, but I'd try to avoid the subject, and certainly not volunteer it.

Well, I WAS employed during the interview. I did go back and update my resume at the prospective employer's website to reflect that I was no longer employed at my last job. My main concern is that I don't want it to appear that I'm not being honest or that I was somehow deliberately falsifying documents during my interview (I wasn't, but I did suspect that I may be terminated soon). It looks like my past employer verifies employee status through a website (with a $20 paywall). Give how ultra-corporate the culture was there, I am somewhat sure that they would not release a specific reason. I can't be 100% sure.

I also have what I was assured would be a phenomenal parting personal reference from my old boss that I'm trying to figure out if I should use. He generally tows the corporate line but is prone to flights of enthusiasm where I'm not sure if he's in full control of his mouth.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

C-Euro posted:

Thanks :respek: Since I have no actual industry experience I put my grad research and teaching assistant positions in my resume as separate entries. Surprisingly enough, I had a couple people in today's (successful) interview ask for a few words on my teaching post, which let me use an encounter I had with some former students as a "personal touch" story. As I get more actual industry entries to my resume I'll probably condense those two sections into one. The only person in any interview who have asked me about my graduate research has been the smartest person on that interview, and even then it's more out of curiosity and learning my work style than anything else.

Just what I needed to know. Thanks! :)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So a copywriting position a recruiter lined me up for requires a digital portfolio. I just had pdfs of some old ads and stuff that I was sending in a zip if requested. Is there any site where I can quickly and cheaply whip up something together? This was the only job that I saw that requested this, but I'm trying to do it ASAP because he wants to get it in sooner rather than later and I am leaving the country tomorrow night til Monday.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 25, 2013

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

C-Euro posted:

When I was first applying for jobs in the accounting field I had the exact opposite experience. I was always asked for both my overall and major GPAs. I have been working for almost two years now and it is still asked about 50% of the time.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Man I don't even remember my GPA at this point.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bugamol posted:

When I was first applying for jobs in the accounting field I had the exact opposite experience. I was always asked for both my overall and major GPAs. I have been working for almost two years now and it is still asked about 50% of the time.

I'm sure that can be chalked up to a difference in fields- I'm in chemistry and the sorts of techniques and instrumentation that you've used before are much more important than how you did on your coursework.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, I rewrote my resume to the template that was linked to me. Here's a copy for critique.

I'm a bit concerned about all the space at the bottom. Should I try and space things out a bit more to take some of that up, or leave it down there? Are there any other things I should change? Does all the content look ok?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That is a lot of empty space. You could add a skills section at the bottom with software competencies.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Xandu posted:

That is a lot of empty space. You could add a skills section at the bottom with software competencies.

The only problem with that is that I don't really have an official certifications or anything. I'm really good at learning how to use a program pretty fast, but I lack general knowledge on actually writing programs, and I don't really know which programs I could list that would sound impressive. What if I just had a general "skills and interests" section where I listed hobbies that had tangential relations to what I'm applying for?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I don't have any official certifications, I still list stuff like excel, access, photoshop, etc along with some more specialized programs for my industry. Might not be relevant though, depends on the job you're applying to.

Skills and interests could work, but it really depends what you list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hmm, I could do something like that, yeah. I tend to use free versions of popular programs, so Open Office instead of Microsoft Office, GIMP instead of Photoshop, etc, etc. I'll try writing up a section tomorrow and seeing how it looks.