Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

deimos posted:

If you see me (Hedonism) online I'll tank for you and ease you into it, I can be a rat bastard to healers but it's infinitely easier to heal a well geared tank through experts than a new tank.

Taking bribes for letting Hedonism die in elites. I also will accept mail order, bitcoins and squirrel tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009
Don't tempt me, you wouldn't believe how many tears I have in the bank. :v:

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

viewtyjoe posted:

Don't tempt me, you wouldn't believe how many tears I have in the bank. :v:

I need some for the achievement still...so how much will you give me per death?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Been playing this for a while. As usual, the goons in-game are cool guys, pretty organized and fun to play with. But I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide whether to stick with the game or not.

Is it fair to ask, what happens at endgame? Is there a greater level of complexity to the game than is apparent in leveling up? I'm basically trying to figure out how this game is different (other than cosmetically) from WoW or other Disney ride games.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Langolas posted:

Taking bribes for letting Hedonism die in elites. I also will accept mail order, bitcoins and squirrel tears

I can heal myself through experts if I pull slow enough. :shrug:

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Finndo posted:

Been playing this for a while. As usual, the goons in-game are cool guys, pretty organized and fun to play with. But I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide whether to stick with the game or not.

Is it fair to ask, what happens at endgame? Is there a greater level of complexity to the game than is apparent in leveling up? I'm basically trying to figure out how this game is different (other than cosmetically) from WoW or other Disney ride games.

Leveling up is really simple, unless you're running some spec that has no survivability. From what I've seen, the endgame is very similar to WoW in the early 3.2.x era, with a little more grind. Experts are really only there to get you enough gear to get you into the T1 raids, which are run fairly regularly. Of course, with the changes to currency, everyone is moaning about how it would take months to get T1 raid gear with marks, which is totally missing the point. Raiding is more akin to early WoW, where purples weren't expected in every slot from the get-go, though with the newer crafting recipes and such, there's not much excuse for not having a few if you're interested in raiding.

I can't really speak to specific raid content because I'm not a raider yet, but I've been trying to get info on what to expect to get geared as a tank, since I know that's a stickier situation for some people. Ask again in like two weeks and I'll probably be able to say more :v:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Finndo posted:

I haven't played very much for a long time so take it with a grain of salt but to me, that's exactly what Rift has always been trying to be.. And it achieves that goal very well and with a cool class/spec system added in there. It's also probably the only WoW-like game that holds up to WoW mechanically which is a pretty massive thing. There's a reason it's one of the more successful MMO's of the last few years. A lot of people just wanna play a game that's generic but solid.

Weebay
Apr 8, 2008

Reality is a question of perspective; the further you get from the past, the more concrete and plausible it seems - but as you approach the present, it inevitably seems incredible.
Posting for guild invite.
Weebay in the game, coming back!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

If you see me (Hedonism) online I'll tank for you and ease you into it, I can be a rat bastard to healers but it's infinitely easier to heal a well geared tank through experts than a new tank.

Just be ready to use your cooldowns and yell at Hedo if he can't hold threat against all your massive heals :3:.

(Just kidding that never happens)

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I am starting to play my mage again at lvl 54. I want to stay away from Harb. as I play melee on all my other toons. What build would be best for knocking out the last 6 levels just doing zone events, casual questing etc. ? I have pretty much all the builds already, with the exception of a healing spec. I just have not figured which is going to work the best.

I am thinking either a standard Necro build or Ele.

Vendictus Prime fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 22, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Zoness posted:

Just be ready to use your cooldowns and yell at Hedo if he can't hold threat against all your massive heals :3:.

(Just kidding that never happens)

Listen, I may or may not have tanked most of an expert at some point before noticing I didn't have MoL on without issues (with pubbies DPSing).

I may or may not have a giant fuckoff KAlert set up to remind me of MoL because of recent incidents.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

deimos posted:

Listen, I may or may not have tanked most of an expert at some point before noticing I didn't have MoL on without issues (with pubbies DPSing).

I may or may not have a giant fuckoff KAlert set up to remind me of MoL because of recent incidents.

I may or may not have done that in wow after multiple raids where I possibly forgot to turn on righteous fury.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I don't see why it isn't a passive ability instead of a toggle. Justy stick both meins on the root at the same point requirement and have MoL be passive. If you want to deactivate MoL (why?) just put up MoH.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Machai posted:

I don't see why it isn't a passive ability instead of a toggle. Justy stick both meins on the root at the same point requirement and have MoL be passive. If you want to deactivate MoL (why?) just put up MoH.

The same reason why beastmasters have 11 buffs, which is, more buffs is better, RIGHT?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Speaking of MoH, since Justicar hybrids are crap now from the sounds of it, is there anything remotely similar to how they used to play, or is it pretty much pick your dull Holy Trinity role and go do that now?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I've only played this for a few days, and my dwarven cleric is only at level 26. But it seems that whenever I log on with the intent to do some more questing and leveling up, I end up spending all my time doing fishing, closing rifts, daily quests, etc... This is normal, yes?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Rift is great at distracting you

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Daler Mehndi posted:

I've only played this for a few days, and my dwarven cleric is only at level 26. But it seems that whenever I log on with the intent to do some more questing and leveling up, I end up spending all my time doing fishing, closing rifts, daily quests, etc... This is normal, yes?

You can also do instant adventures to level up! Yeah, tons of options of things to do. I barely do dungeons ever at level 60 and there is no shortage of things to occupy my time with.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

OneEightHundred posted:

Speaking of MoH, since Justicar hybrids are crap now from the sounds of it, is there anything remotely similar to how they used to play, or is it pretty much pick your dull Holy Trinity role and go do that now?

You liked inquisicar? I guess you could do inquisitor with some warden. 6pts in warden gets you that thing where you do damage and heal a few people for like 3-4k. I only warden on Kyzan and don't know what poo poo is called it's all "Instant AOE mana-sucker" and "stacking HoT".

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Machai posted:

You liked inquisicar? I guess you could do inquisitor with some warden. 6pts in warden gets you that thing where you do damage and heal a few people for like 3-4k. I only warden on Kyzan and don't know what poo poo is called it's all "Instant AOE mana-sucker" and "stacking HoT".

I'm so bad with names. Chloro is like that too, everything is nature this or natural that. I can tell you my abilities based on what they do but it beats me knowing the difference between Natural Splendor and Nature's Touch. Is there a Nature's Touch? I don't know.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
Come to Regulos tomorrow, guys! We've got it if people show up.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Machai posted:

You liked inquisicar?
I probably played Shamicar more, but pretty much any of the hybrids involved playing the DPS spec and managing convictions/raid healing on top of it, which made for some nice variety and complexity.

Plus I like support specs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

OneEightHundred posted:

Defiler is just a better version of every old icar spec.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Zoness posted:

Woah, woah, senticar had two brezzes. TWO. (Though they were probably going to be used on a fellow cleric because non-tank chain had no loving endurance)

I don't really remember much else because I didn't frequently do things that weren't tank or puri with my cleric, but the point stands.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

Zoness posted:

Defiler is just the best spec in the game because you get to do everything

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Hi, can I get an invite to the guild, my character name is Dongoloid?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Daerc posted:

Woah, woah, senticar had two brezzes. TWO.

All brezzes share a cooldown :( I even made a def/puri hybrid with two and it can only use one at a time. C'mon Trion, I gave up all the good cooldowns of both those specs to get two brezzes, let me use them!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Machai posted:

All brezzes share a cooldown :( I even made a def/puri hybrid with two and it can only use one at a time. C'mon Trion, I gave up all the good cooldowns of both those specs to get two brezzes, let me use them!

Back in the day Absolution (Justicar brez) didn't share a cooldown with any of the other battle rez's (which did share a cooldown). You could gimp yourself out of DoL numbers to get two battle rez's.

Double brez Senticar was a good spec for durdling groups but not a great one for like, anything in ID.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Zoness posted:

Back in the day Absolution (Justicar brez) didn't share a cooldown with any of the other battle rez's (which did share a cooldown). You could gimp yourself out of DoL numbers to get two battle rez's.

Double brez Senticar was a good spec for durdling groups but not a great one for like, anything in ID.

Back in the day no BRezzes shared a cooldown, 1.11 brought that on.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Besides some of the raid-centric stuff in the OP, are there any addons that people really like or consider huge improvements to their experience or UI? I've been rolling without addons and without changing the layout and I've been thinking about making improvements.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Badfinger posted:

Besides some of the raid-centric stuff in the OP, are there any addons that people really like or consider huge improvements to their experience or UI? I've been rolling without addons and without changing the layout and I've been thinking about making improvements.

Gadgets.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Badfinger posted:

Kalert is the only add-on you need :colbert:.

(It's very versatile but takes some :effort: to configure.)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Kreczor posted:

Gadgets.

Definitely gadgets. Even if you don't want to use the unit frames it has some great additions like a rep meter (which can show as many as you want) and a distance meter. I recently made the change over to use gadget's unit frames and I'm pretty happy, though there are a few weird things with buff/debuff display.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Gadgets has easy to configure unit frame templates. You have to mess around with the LUA files, but looking at the built-in templates tells you everything you need to know to make your own. You can set it to track specific buffs/debuffs in specific areas of a frame, blacklist certain buffs/debuffs, display HP/MP/Shield bars, HP/MP current/max/%, name/class/lvl and a lot more. It is really great for customizing unit frames and it has many other tools as well.

If you do a lot of stuff on the AH, get BananAH. You can set it up to post things for you and I use it to clear my bags of artifacts/dimension items in a couple minutes with a couple of clicks. I regularly have more than 100 individual auctions on each of my characters that I use for the AH and BananAH makes it all bearable.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

Hope to see everyone turn up for Regulos tonight!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

necrotic posted:

Definitely gadgets. Even if you don't want to use the unit frames it has some great additions like a rep meter (which can show as many as you want) and a distance meter. I recently made the change over to use gadget's unit frames and I'm pretty happy, though there are a few weird things with buff/debuff display.

If you look at karuulalert and go :psyduck: you can use gadgets buff bars or buff icons, and make a window to display buffs on yourself that you need to make sure are maintained, and debuffs on your target.

It's pretty simple: add a new gadget, pick buff bar, in options for it set target to display to be player.target, select "include only:" and add the debuffs that you need to be able to see on current target (i.e. for inquisitor I need to maintain vex and scourge, so I add those debuff names to the whitelist.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Murvin posted:

Hope to see everyone turn up for Regulos tonight!

This.

Also, if I started a crafting rift raid Saturday at 3pm server would people show up? I have a need.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

It's been forever since I played this, but I'm posting for the guild invite. Character name is Babycrusher.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

necrotic posted:

This.

Also, if I started a crafting rift raid Saturday at 3pm server would people show up? I have a need.

hell yes. mass crafting seals and seal mats has left me dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

shut up gelly posted:

hell yes. mass crafting seals and seal mats has left me dry.

I can probably join in, although all I can offer is apothecary crud.

• Locked thread