Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Bucket Joneses posted:

I did until recently when my atv2 went into a boot loop and I had to restore to the latest firmware that only has a tethered jailbreak. With how often I have to reboot the atv2 while running XBMC, that was a non-starter so I got a NUC instead.

That sucks. By NUC do you mean Intel NUC? (Just googled it)

Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

I've never had any feature break in Aeon Nox, like, at all, man. They do like to switch things up for new major releases though.

I don't know, it seems like every time I give it another shot there is some issue or thing it does differently than other skin implementations that bugs me. For now I keep waffling back and forth between Rapier and Ace with the horizontal home screen. Ace is a fantastic combination of aesthetic and functions but I really love Rapier's simple yet display of Recent/In Progress items.

OpenElec 3.2.0 has won me over, I am finally ditching my Windows based setup. I had kept it Windows for emulators mainly and EventGhost use but since then I did a long HDMI run from my gaming box to the living room paired with a 360 wireless receiver. The difference in temperatures on my Zotac AD10 with OpenElec vs Windows is pretty crazy. I never noticed this when previously testing them but the fan on my AD10 runs at near idle the whole time with OpenElec. In Windows I don't know if it's just the overhead or whatever but it runs quite hot and the fan kicks on intermittently when scrolling in XBMC.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Fillerbunny posted:

does anyone else run OpenELEC with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station as their main router? Ever since I switched routers, I've been having issues with local name resolution for my OpenELEC device, and can no longer stream to it via AirPlay. I've been scratching my head about it for a few weeks now.

In case anyone was curious or had similar issues, the latest version of OpenELEC, 3.2.0, fixed this for me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't see your original issue with it, but I had something similar. I just moved, and my parents are using a Time Capsule as their wifi router. Now I'm on a Linksys at my house, and my XBMC can no longer take controls from the XMBCRemote app, and Airplay will no longer work. I haven't changed my IP settings on either my phone or computer, just changed the Linksys to match that schema.

I know that Airplay can work, because I can use Shareport4w without a problem to stream the audio. But I just wanted the visualizer on XBMC because I have a brain problem.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

IUG posted:

I didn't see your original issue with it, but I had something similar. I just moved, and my parents are using a Time Capsule as their wifi router. Now I'm on a Linksys at my house, and my XBMC can no longer take controls from the XMBCRemote app, and Airplay will no longer work. I haven't changed my IP settings on either my phone or computer, just changed the Linksys to match that schema.

I know that Airplay can work, because I can use Shareport4w without a problem to stream the audio. But I just wanted the visualizer on XBMC because I have a brain problem.

The XBMCRemote app has the ability to find XBMC hosts on your network. Is it not finding yours? If not, it's entirely likely that your new router has some sort of port blocking/filtering going on that is turned on be default. In any case, your first step would be to verify that your XBMC device actually has the IP that your Remote app thinks it has.

While we're on the subject of AirPlay, EC had mentioned that iOS7 broke it for XBMC. What iOS7 broke was video playback. Audio can still stream via AirPlay just fine.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Switching between OpenELEC 3.0.6 and 3.2.0 makes my network speeds plummet to unusable speeds. I've checked the interface stats (speed,duplex,etc), all are the same. Can't see any major difference in a dmesg | paste. Anyone know anything that changed? Doesn't matter if I try and stream via samba, or use something like Plex Media Center it won't run in 3.2.0 but downgrading to 3.0.6 and it's smooth as silk.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Check this out: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

steam is making their own linux OS for gaming. Ho Hum EXCEPT that it can stream your (I am assuming only steam) games from your beefier desktop to your htpc, eliminating the need to have a super powerful HTPC running 24/7.

Its all open source, so I'm sure there will be a plugin or some sort of integration of xbmc into steamOS. valve is pretty cool so would expect we'll see some integration someday that doesn't involve valve intentionally breaking the functionality etc.

I wouldnt mind being able to play the latest PC games on my tv on my little zbox :allears:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BotchedLobotomy posted:

steam is making their own linux OS for gaming. Ho Hum EXCEPT that it can stream your (I am assuming only steam) games from your beefier desktop to your htpc, eliminating the need to have a super powerful HTPC running 24/7.

Its all open source, so I'm sure there will be a plugin or some sort of integration of xbmc into steamOS. valve is pretty cool so would expect we'll see some integration someday that doesn't involve valve intentionally breaking the functionality etc.

I wouldnt mind being able to play the latest PC games on my tv on my little zbox :allears:
I have a sneaking suspicion they'll use the steam overlay to grab the video/audio to passthrough to the HTPC. If that's the case it should just be a matter of running XBMC through steam. Have to wait until it's out to know for certain though.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
With a somewhat-wimpy home-built Linux HTPC running Steam (on XBMCBuntu) and a sorta-decent Windows desktop, I'm pretty psyched about this streaming thing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

BotchedLobotomy posted:

They mention media services too, man if they get a Netflix plugin I could finally build the all in one I've been hankering for. All I want is Netflix combined with the local playback and library features of XBMC.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
My issue is I ended up resolving to go with windows for my xbmc and a few months ago I finally got it so close to perfect I stopped tinkering with it.

I think I finally broke even on TIME SPENT MESSING WITH XBMC / WATCHING ACTUAL MEDIA on it. :unsmith:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
So I decided to install TvTunes the other day, and what a piece of poo poo it was. Not the actual add-on, which worked fairly well, but the televisiontunes.com site it uses to fetch theme music. It didn't have any tunes for half my shows, which is alright, you can't expect everything to have been prepared. What it was able to fetch was the problem. There's absolutely no kind of normalization applied to the files, so the audio goes all over the place. To counter this you are able to lower the volume in TvTunes' settings, but it doesn't help much when many shows are still way too loud while others become nearly silenced. Then half the files are uploaded in such horrid poo poo quality it'll make you just want mute the TV when they start playing.

I think the concept of having show themes (and possibly movie themes) played when you navigate to them is a neat idea to improve the XBMC experience, but building it on top of a trash site like this addon does makes it a lost effort for now. If someone forked the thing and made an "xbmctunes" type site with strict quality and volume rules, proper organization, matching against thetvdb/themoviedb show id's and so forth it could become really good, but as it is the plugin is a waste of time if you don't want to prepare everything by yourself.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

If I recall, the theme songs downloaded for Star Trek series are actually an mp3 saying that it has been pulled by Paramount or something to that effect.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's the best option out there for playing blu ray discs and DVDs in XBMC without ripping them first? OpenElec doesn't seem to be able to do it, so I guess my other two options are XBMC on Ubuntu or Windows.

Or should I just give up on integrating it and go for a separate blu ray player?

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

tarepanda posted:

What's the best option out there for playing blu ray discs and DVDs in XBMC without ripping them first? OpenElec doesn't seem to be able to do it, so I guess my other two options are XBMC on Ubuntu or Windows.

Or should I just give up on integrating it and go for a separate blu ray player?

The second one. There's so much bullshit surrounding decoding BluRays it's just not practical. Get the external player.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fillerbunny posted:

The second one. There's so much bullshit surrounding decoding BluRays it's just not practical. Get the external player.

This is what I did, and I've never looked back. A BluRay player _just works_. The HTPC, I can stand fiddling a bit with, but playing DVDs and BluRay discs is a solved problem, and the solution is called a cheap, standalone, player.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This is what I did, and I've never looked back. A BluRay player _just works_. The HTPC, I can stand fiddling a bit with, but playing DVDs and BluRay discs is a solved problem, and the solution is called a cheap, standalone, player.

Or a PS3, although I wish Sony would just use IR remotes so my universal would work without buying a $50 adapter.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Or a PS3, although I wish Sony would just use IR remotes so my universal would work without buying a $50 adapter.

The adapter kind of sucks too, it often misses the off code and the console needs to be manually power cycled. I fixed this problem by getting the Harmony Smart Control which someone else recommended. It syncs with a hub over wi-fi, the hub itself is a BT and IR blaster so it works fine with the PS3. My only beef with the Smart Control is that the remote isn't backlit but muscle memory works fine with the majority of the functions. The phone app is actually ok too.

Anyways yeah, Bluray on PC sucks for whoever asked, don't go that route. I tried to do it and ended up spending a bundle, getting pissed off and now I just use a PS3.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Has anyone here tried sharing files to XBMC over The Internet using WebDAV? I've set up IIS with WebDAV and everything works locally, but remotely all I can get is the login prompt and (eventually when I cancel) the server 401 -invalid credentials screen. So I know I'm connecting, but can't log in.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Gunslinger posted:

The adapter kind of sucks too, it often misses the off code and the console needs to be manually power cycled. I fixed this problem by getting the Harmony Smart Control which someone else recommended. It syncs with a hub over wi-fi, the hub itself is a BT and IR blaster so it works fine with the PS3. My only beef with the Smart Control is that the remote isn't backlit but muscle memory works fine with the majority of the functions. The phone app is actually ok too.

Anyways yeah, Bluray on PC sucks for whoever asked, don't go that route. I tried to do it and ended up spending a bundle, getting pissed off and now I just use a PS3.

I've looked into that before, but my 7 year old MX-810 feels better than any of the recent Harmony stuff. I actively hate the Harmony software as well, even the custom coded bullshit UR puts out works better. I will say that Logitech has a better IR code database, so I still keep an ancient Harmony around when I need to teach a code to my main remote.

I think this is the 100th time I've posted my hate for how piss poor the Harmony line is. Talk about a market ready for someone to take it over completely.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

I've looked into that before, but my 7 year old MX-810 feels better than any of the recent Harmony stuff. I actively hate the Harmony software as well, even the custom coded bullshit UR puts out works better. I will say that Logitech has a better IR code database, so I still keep an ancient Harmony around when I need to teach a code to my main remote.

I think this is the 100th time I've posted my hate for how piss poor the Harmony line is. Talk about a market ready for someone to take it over completely.

I recently set up Eventghost with an MCE receiver and IR blaster to control my set up. Basically I can do what you would use a harmony remote to do, but with a lot more control over the actions and events.

Tonight, I am going to see if I can control my new Roku over TCP/IP with eventghost.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

I was talking to a friend of mine about this last night, he was asking for business ideas since hes between jobs and is tired of working for other people. It sounds good in theory but we brainstormed all of the issues you would face and you would need pretty massive initial investment just to get it off the ground. A lot of people don't see any value in them either, it always shocks me when I go to other peoples houses and they're using like 6 remotes. I mention the Harmony and they just give me a blank look. Last time I was Best Buy the Harmony stuff was buried at the back of the store practically out of sight.

Anyways /derail.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lowen SoDium posted:

I recently set up Eventghost with an MCE receiver and IR blaster to control my set up. Basically I can do what you would use a harmony remote to do, but with a lot more control over the actions and events.

Tonight, I am going to see if I can control my new Roku over TCP/IP with eventghost.

The only issue with this is that everything would break if something happened to EG or your HTPC, right?

Sounds pretty cool, though. You should write it up when you get done, especially the IR blaster part, I'm curious as to how it works.

The Gunslinger posted:

I was talking to a friend of mine about this last night, he was asking for business ideas since hes between jobs and is tired of working for other people. It sounds good in theory but we brainstormed all of the issues you would face and you would need pretty massive initial investment just to get it off the ground. A lot of people don't see any value in them either, it always shocks me when I go to other peoples houses and they're using like 6 remotes. I mention the Harmony and they just give me a blank look. Last time I was Best Buy the Harmony stuff was buried at the back of the store practically out of sight.

Anyways /derail.

You'd need to be a pretty large player to get it started, that's for sure.

I don't know why Harmony/activitiy-based remotes haven't caught on either. Every single person I've ever set one up for loves them, and I don't think I could live with 6 remotes on my coffee table at this point.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Hogburto posted:

Has anyone here tried sharing files to XBMC over The Internet using WebDAV? I've set up IIS with WebDAV and everything works locally, but remotely all I can get is the login prompt and (eventually when I cancel) the server 401 -invalid credentials screen. So I know I'm connecting, but can't log in.

Doesn't WebDAV have a file size limit of like 4gb? I guess that works for shows but makes hd movies unusable.

I just use plex. Trakt works really well for syncing xbmc and plex databases and since I'm using my phone most the time remotely its much better to stream converted files.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

We don't have a harmony thread (rip) but the web-based interface is much better than the older software. Plus everything is updated via wifi so you don't even need to plug in your remote. I can't say enough good things about my smart control, I would like backlight, but I feel the trade off is more than worth it. The biggest thing is since it doesn't have an LCD it can last over a year on a little battery.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

The only issue with this is that everything would break if something happened to EG or your HTPC, right?

Sounds pretty cool, though. You should write it up when you get done, especially the IR blaster part, I'm curious as to how it works.

Yeah, but my HTPC is the center of all my media watching, so if it died, my whole setup is more or less down anyways. I still have the original remotes inside my coffee table if I need them for some reason.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EC posted:

I don't know why Harmony/activitiy-based remotes haven't caught on either. Every single person I've ever set one up for loves them, and I don't think I could live with 6 remotes on my coffee table at this point.
Probably because most people have at most two remotes, one for the TV and one for the DVR. Usually you're able to control the most common TV tasks from the DVR remotes, so there's no need to go out and buy another one. Only hardcore media junkies use them.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What's everybody's favorite Frodo/12.2 skin?

The 3.2 Openelec update (to 12.2) broke a lot of skins for me, need something other than Confluence :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

crm posted:

The 3.2 Openelec update (to 12.2) broke a lot of skins for me, need something other than Confluence :(

Metropolis, for me, by a mile.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

crm posted:

Xperience1080 by a mile :colbert:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

crm posted:

Aeon Nox by 5 miles.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

crm posted:

Refocus big by infinity +1 of what anyone else says miles.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

crm posted:

Arctic is streets ahead.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
The next logical step, the boxes that valve will sell for their SteamOS. :)

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

No product or prices yet, but curious to see their selections they'll have. Wouldn't mind a steambox with XBMC as a plugin/whatever!

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
I've never understood why people would use these gutter skins when Transparency is right there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

berzerker posted:

I've never understood why people would use these gutter skins when Transparency is right there.

I feel like I've been looking at Transparency-esque themes for like 10 years now. Metropolis is nice and subtle, but still looks good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

berzerker posted:

I just tried it, but found it had some problems. For one it won't power down Windows properly, it just exits the program. I had a number of other little issues, but didn't end up sticking with that skin for too long.

It's me, the guy who sticks to the default skin.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I really like Aeon Nox, enough that I took a half hour to muck around with his config files to make some tweaks for my collection. It's one of the only ones that easily supports movie trailers, rom collection browser with videos and other artwork, a relatively minimal interface that allows for some nice color customization. Highly recommended.

I have a dorky emulated game collection that mirrors my physical one, and this skin with RCB supports that kind of metadata like alternate titles, descriptions, comments and such.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Electromax posted:

I have a dorky emulated game collection that mirrors my physical one, and this skin with RCB supports that kind of metadata like alternate titles, descriptions, comments and such.

It doesn't launch ROMs, though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bucket Joneses posted:

It doesn't launch ROMs, though, right?

RCB does, yes, just like Advanced Launcher. I've never used RCB, but I'm assuming it has the same sort of setup where you can pass the emulators all sorts of different arguments if you need to.