Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Arquinsiel posted:

"Jonson was not amused: he was slot to anger and slow to forgive and Russ's first blow he saw as treacherous". TBH the full story does kind of back up the aspie theory as he has exactly zero concern for Russ's feelings about being called out by some dude and doesn't even TRY to maybe talk about it.

Being a callous dick is not the same as having asperger's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nephilm posted:

Being a callous dick is not the same as having asperger's.
It's a full page in a small-print 2nd ed codex. I'm not going to type the whole thing out but it does go into great detail in a way that'd make me think there's something up with the guy. Probably unintentional, but still.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

"Jonson was not amused: he was slot to anger and slow to forgive and Russ's first blow he saw as treacherous". TBH the full story does kind of back up the aspie theory as he has exactly zero concern for Russ's feelings about being called out by some dude and doesn't even TRY to maybe talk about it.
They actually do. There's a few minis with "psyber" eagles and there's at least one Cybermastiff in the Inquisitor game's mini range.

Ravenor also has an Inquisitor warband featuring a women and her pet cybermastiffs, who have guns for faces.
Edit:

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 23, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

They actually do. There's a few minis with "psyber" eagles and there's at least one Cybermastiff in the Inquisitor game's mini range.

I had forgotten the cyber eagles ! I gotta squeeze on into a story (I decided I can beat the Black Library quality average and started some short 40k fiction). The mastiffs seemed... so ordinary by 40k standards that they didn't really register.

Edit: right ! Needs more cyber, but the face guns are an easy conversion.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 23, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Warhound titans are often implied to have a wolf or canid brain somewhere inside acting as the central intelligence for the machine part of the man/machine interface.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Finished Soul Hunter today. Man. That guy makes almost every character interesting, even the ones that are introduced and killed on the same page. :black101:

I finished the trilogy a day ago. At first I thought the Night Lords were somewhat sympathetic, until Blood Reaver, and I can't see them as anything but irrefutably and unspeakably evil.

I also can't help but wonder if Decimus is Octavia and Septimus' baby , but I doubt it.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Protons posted:

I finished the trilogy a day ago. At first I thought the Night Lords were somewhat sympathetic, until Blood Reaver, and I can't see them as anything but irrefutably and unspeakably evil.

I also can't help but wonder if Decimus is Octavia and Septimus' baby , but I doubt it.

Er, he is. It's setup throughout the entire series, and the epilogue itself is dedicated to it - what more do you want? It's a great use of show don't tell.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Protons posted:

Look at his name, consider the names of his parents, then slap yourself for missing that.

Also yeah from an outsider perspective the Night Lords are irredeemable, but the point is they are a gang from a world where not being part of a gang means you will die or be enslaved. That's the lesson they learned from Nostromo. That's why Kurze destroyed the place: it was a cruel and vicious world, and produced only cruel and vicious people. Everyone in the gang (yes, named slaves are included. Otherwise Septimus wouldn't be allowed to pilot anything) is a real person to the Night Lords. You may hate them, you may bully them, you may teach them, you may like them, but they matter and any transgression against them from the outside must be met with violent reprisal because that's how the universe works from their perspective. What constitutes a transgression is up to the Night Lords, of course - it could be digging through the rubble of the planet they destroyed ten millennia ago, it could be possession of a ship that once belonged to them, it could be settling in ignorance on a planet they once haunted, but violence and pain are the languages the Night Lords truly speak. That's what Nostraman is: Violence, pain, and a fear of what lurks in the dark.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 23, 2013

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Hey I said I suspected it :(

Also, if he's Decimus, where was Nineimus or whatever it would be.

I hope his parents are OK.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm pretty sure this was all spoiler'd out earlier in the thread somewhere.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

VanSandman posted:

The minotaurs are pretty cool, too.

I don't particularly like the actual design but the idea isn't too bad.

On the other hand, if they decided to redesign Space Marines completely, I'd be all for this design:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Protons posted:

Hey I said I suspected it :(

Also, if he's Decimus, where was Nineimus or whatever it would be.

I hope his parents are OK.

Nonus shows up in Blood Reaver and dies protecting the navigator's chamber from the daemon at the conclusion.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm pretty sure this was all spoiler'd out earlier in the thread somewhere.

Yes, this exact conversation has happened about 3 times.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nonus(the ninth) was taken by Talos as a slave when they raided that one space station place, and he died later on in the books.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Ah I remember him now. Septimus bought him that IG rifle.

He had a token appearance. I guess I read all the books too fast.

Apropos of anything mentioned, I did read an excerpt from The Emperor's Gift and holy balls those Grey Knights are over-powered. They're like a legion of Primarchs.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I haven't seen any comments on Atlas Infernal, but it's in the "Good" section of the OP so I decided to check it out. It's pretty good, I would recommend it! It features the Inquisitor Czevak and his retinue- the guy who keeps popping up in the Eldar Codex. Naturally, there are Eldar appearances including Harlequins and Czevak is rather on the wild side of things due to his association with them.

I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting, but it comes off as a bizarre Warhammer-y Indiana Jones and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen mixed together- essentially a race against time with a experienced but eccentric protagonist and his loyal, Watson-like acolyte trying to stop the Thousand Sons from acquiring a McGuffin of great power. The acolyte (Inquisitor, actually) goes from compliant to increasingly sassy as Czevak repeatedly takes him for granted in a rather Holmes-like manner, making his frustration seem natural. I rather like i and it's entertaining - Czevak is a sometimes grumpy but amusing rear end in a top hat, especially towards other inquisitors he disagrees with. Naturally they're hard-core puritans who scorn Czevak's attempts to make headway through alien contact and invariably gently caress things up. Czevak himself has a tendency to make things worse - he comes off as a knowledgeable old man at first, but quickly turns into a real rear end in a top hat at times later on. Worthy of mention are the main antagonists - Ahriman and the Thousand Sons who do a great job as the villains of the story and confusing Czevak's next move. The action is varied, though more about the desperation of the situation, the immediate danger or the race against time than the caliber of the bolters, and while certainly not deep, emotional, or thought provoking, is an entertainingly straight forward (though not exactly light-hearted) adventure.

A good detox book for people burnt out on the endless assholery of Cuu and Erebus, or looking for a decent standalone story featuring an almost completely rogue Inquisitor and retinue.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 23, 2013

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Protons posted:

Ah I remember him now. Septimus bought him that IG rifle.

He had a token appearance. I guess I read all the books too fast.

Apropos of anything mentioned, I did read an excerpt from The Emperor's Gift and holy balls those Grey Knights are over-powered. They're like a legion of Primarchs.

If the Grey Knights and all of the Deathwatch were sent after a single target...the destruction unleashed would be planatary in its scale. Picture if Abbaddon took Cadia. The Imperium says Frag It and pulls all legions out and sends in secret all of the Knights and the Watch. Any demon that showed its faced would be exercised with such prejudice and any HVT that came out of a bunker would have a life span measured in seconds.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The cover of Fulgrim also has him wielding a giant wrench, so I wouldn't think that it's an authority. Too bad that it's the only HH book with a significant Iron Hands/Ferrus Manus presence.

That part always seemed dumb to me. It goes on to explain in the book Fulgrim made the big gently caress off hammer Forgebreaker for Manus during their weapon forging duel, so why he was shown using a drat wrench is beyond me. At least this miniature got that detail right.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

EyeRChris posted:

If the Grey Knights and all of the Deathwatch were sent after a single target...the destruction unleashed would be planatary in its scale. Picture if Abbaddon took Cadia. The Imperium says Frag It and pulls all legions out and sends in secret all of the Knights and the Watch. Any demon that showed its faced would be exercised with such prejudice and any HVT that came out of a bunker would have a life span measured in seconds.

Deathwatch are Space Marine special forces. Get in, accomplish the objective, get out, hard and fast. Now if you want to fight chaos stuff, you send in the Grey Knights and their brethren, the Exorcists. One are incorruptibly pure, the other invisible to daemons and psykers. Perfect for anti-chaos work.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Plus the Deathwatch are attached to the Ordo Xenos so you can assume that the inquisitors in charge of them are more interested in using them to turn back the latest incursion of Tyranids or something.

Edit: :goonsay:

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
hey wich story was the one where i think it was Angron was fighting his own son's telling them how good they did by actually getting a hit on him? i was going to read it based on the thread but it went and got buried.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

AcidRonin posted:

hey wich story was the one where i think it was Angron was fighting his own son's telling them how good they did by actually getting a hit on him? i was going to read it based on the thread but it went and got buried.

Not read it, but was it "Lord of the Red Sands"?

Again, if Black Library would just release all these short stories and audio dramas into a series of books I'd buy them. As it is, I've missed half of Angron's story, know nothing about Loken, etc.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dog_Meat posted:

Not read it, but was it "Lord of the Red Sands"?
Yeah, that's the one he's looking for.

Dog_Meat posted:

Again, if Black Library would just release all these short stories and audio dramas into a series of books I'd buy them. As it is, I've missed half of Angron's story, know nothing about Loken, etc.
They should end the bullshit "Limited edition" crap and at the end of every year, publish a "Year in Review" type collection that gathers all of the shorts together so people don't get left behind. Their idiotic get rich quick schemes do nothing but encourage 1) hatred; and 2) piracy. I understand they're in the business to make money, but they're seriously alienating their readers.

Also:
First and Only Black Library Classics edition: $16
Gaunt's Ghosts: The Founding Omnibus: $15

Black Library, you guys are a bunch of douchebags.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 23, 2013

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also:
First and Only Black Library Classics edition: $16
Gaunt's Ghosts: The Founding Omnibus: $15

Black Library, you guys are a bunch of douchebags.

If anything, I really like the cover design and illustration. Nightbringer's looks a little weird, though, like the proportions are off. (Don't read Nightbringer)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Their idiotic get rich quick schemes do nothing but encourage 1) hatred; and 2) piracy.

Coincidentally the exact same could be said about their miniatures business! :iamafag:

That said, in both cases they still see massive amounts of money coming in from legit sales and thus don't care.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Protons posted:

And about as dickheaded as their Inquisitor masters. God, I hate the Grey Knights after reading that book.

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013

Protons posted:

I did read an excerpt from The Emperor's Gift and holy balls those Grey Knights are over-powered. They're like a legion of Primarchs.

There's no doubt that they are powerful, but I would still rather three random ultramarine successor chapters if I was defending a planet from a Green skin invasion, mainly because they are good but only very good against a specific type of enemy.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Protons posted:

That part always seemed dumb to me. It goes on to explain in the book Fulgrim made the big gently caress off hammer Forgebreaker for Manus during their weapon forging duel, so why he was shown using a drat wrench is beyond me. At least this miniature got that detail right.

The cover that always irritated me the most was Titanicus - Space Marines on the cover but not in the book. Great book though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Having just gotten around to reading Pariah, I've gone back and started to re-read the original Eisenhorn and Ravenor books. My memory had been that Eisenhorn was much better than Ravenor, but in reflection they're not as far apart as I'd originally thought. True, the first person narrative and epic scope of the Eisenhorn books is very appealing, but Ravenor goes the other way and shows what the antagonists are up to in a way that Eisenhorn (and the Bequin book for that matter) don't.

Personally, I think I prefer the Eisenhorn methodolgy, but a case can be made for either. So what's the general opinion of the thread? Do you prefer the way the Eisenhorn books are written or the Ravenor books? Abnett himself seems to have gone with Eisenhorn since he went back to strict fist person for the Bequin books...

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Eisenhorn is much better. Eisenhorn is about himself, much more centered, while Ravenor is about the warband as a whole and that spreads the narrative more thinly and plays into Abnett's weakness at resolving loose threads in the end (he's gotten better at it, but it's still there).

Regarding showing the antagonists, that's actually one of the things I disliked the most about Ravenor; the antagonists in Eisenhorn are all hyper-competent, mysterious and naught unreachable forces - like fighting shadows that can strike the protagonist at any time, but which he must unravel before being able to return the favor, and even then only just. It's done very well, but in Ravenor by detailing them he falls into the trap of characters only being as smart or competent as the writer can portray them. He weakens them by showing them and detailing their plans and actions.

Show don't tell, sure, but that doesn't mean show what they're doing when the consequences of it will suffice - leave the rest to the reader's imagination.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Having just gotten around to reading Pariah, I've gone back and started to re-read the original Eisenhorn and Ravenor books. My memory had been that Eisenhorn was much better than Ravenor, but in reflection they're not as far apart as I'd originally thought. True, the first person narrative and epic scope of the Eisenhorn books is very appealing, but Ravenor goes the other way and shows what the antagonists are up to in a way that Eisenhorn (and the Bequin book for that matter) don't.

Personally, I think I prefer the Eisenhorn methodolgy, but a case can be made for either. So what's the general opinion of the thread? Do you prefer the way the Eisenhorn books are written or the Ravenor books? Abnett himself seems to have gone with Eisenhorn since he went back to strict fist person for the Bequin books...

Both series were great. I did however like the writing style of Ravenor. I don't always have to know exactly whats going on but its nice to get a view of the things going on.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Eisenhorn is in first person because it's in part an homage to hard-boiled detective novels, which are classically written in the first person. Ravenor began as a comic book project, so it's much more ensemble focused and tends to only use first-person for framing narration by Ravenor. Pariah is influenced in style by Victorian female bildungsroman, which were also commonly written in first person.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I liked Eisenhorn more because I like Gregor Eisenhorn more than Gideon Ravenor. Gregor's path from "radicalism is heresy" to "Daemonhosts for the Emperor!" is well done and fun to read. Ravenor felt a lot more bland in contrast and really relied on Molotch to drive the story.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yeah I always thought Ravenor was too good to be true, really. Especially so after the end of Eisenhorn where he's shown to be hanging around with eldar farseers and is crazy respectful to the point when Eisenhorn of all people is like 'whoa what the hell'.

Eisenhorn is this crazy badass who comes up with all these insane plans and fights a guy inside this mental deamon planet that's also a space ship against an enemy made powerful by his own hubris using a loving tamed daemon as a weapon.

And Ravenor says some kind of prayer to get rid of a deamon hiding in his own acolyte who was possessed due to drug abuse?

Ravenor gives amazing detail to the worlds of 40k, but every single loving thing about Eisenhorn is 40k as gently caress, it's mental and completely loving :black101:

Edit : sorry, should have added spoilers. And this picture:

lenoon fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 23, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lenoon posted:

Yeah I always thought Ravenor was too good to be true, really. Especially so after the end of Eisenhorn where he's shown to be hanging around with eldar farseers and is crazy respectful to the point when Eisenhorn of all people is like 'whoa what the hell'.

Eisenhorn is this crazy badass who comes up with all these insane plans and fights a guy inside this mental deamon planet that's also a space ship against an enemy made powerful by his own hubris using a loving tamed daemon as a weapon.

And Ravenor says some kind of prayer to get rid of a deamon hiding in his own acolyte who was possessed due to drug abuse?

Ravenor gives amazing detail to the worlds of 40k, but every single loving thing about Eisenhorn is 40k as gently caress, it's mental and completely loving :black101:

The thing about the drug abuse demon kinda-sorta makes sense when you consider that it was a millenia old prophecy and all it needed was a trigger. The glass was from a planet that had been through the goddamn warp so whatever is there is bound to be hosed proper.

Also I really like the Grey Knights. They're very focused on one thing but I feel like some of the more hardcore doctrinal poo poo isn't their fault since it's the Inquisition that has a massive hardon for secrecy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

lenoon posted:

Goddamn that's a nice image I need to read Eisenhorn again. I don't remember the space marine though...

I preferred Eisenhorn a lot, even after repeated reading, which Ravenor never received. Ravenor just felt a bit more... formulaic... than Eisenhorn. It didn't help that it was on so much shorter a timescale, I think.

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013

Fideles posted:

The cover that always irritated me the most was Titanicus - Space Marines on the cover but not in the book. Great book though.

The book used existing artwork. I think it appeared on the Epic: Armageddon rulebook cover, for example. I can see how it would be misleading though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thespaceinvader posted:

Goddamn that's a nice image I need to read Eisenhorn again. I don't remember the space marine though...

I preferred Eisenhorn a lot, even after repeated reading, which Ravenor never received. Ravenor just felt a bit more... formulaic... than Eisenhorn. It didn't help that it was on so much shorter a timescale, I think.
I guess it's Brother-Captain Artemis from the Inquisitor rulebook?

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

It's Fischig

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Think that's Fisk or whatever the Arbites guy was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Demiurge4 posted:

Also I really like the Grey Knights. They're very focused on one thing but I feel like some of the more hardcore doctrinal poo poo isn't their fault since it's the Inquisition that has a massive hardon for secrecy.
I'd expect them to have enough responsibility to tell the inquisition to gently caress off every now and then when it asks them to do something incredibly stupid and counterproductive (like loving opening fire on the Great Wolf's ship).