Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, it's technically a different thing than slowing time, and stuff like the Sticky Fingers trap rely on that specific kind of time dickery, but compounded with the other issues I can totally see where people can get confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No, that's not the problem. It makes sense for Diavolo's ability to not work on himself, since the same happened with Dio and Kira (In a way). The problem comes when you look at Diavolo moving through the skipped time and that concept in and of itself is a weird one, it's what most people call "Slowing time down." If Diavolo were never shown to be moving through the time, people would be significantly less confused as to what King Crimson does, because then it doesn't seem like he's slowing down time.

Well, we DO need to see his powers from his perspective occasionally, and that's really the only way to do it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Well, we DO need to see his powers from his perspective occasionally, and that's really the only way to do it.

No we don't, and even that is true we did see his powers from his perspective ala Doppio and they were displayed with less complication there. Remember the King Crimson vs Metallica fight and how rad that fight was? You know what made it cooler? We got to see Diavolo's powers being used in a way that makes sense and doesn't complicate King Crimson. Then later more stuff happens to make it worse and then we have this giant mess of a stand that nobody gets.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
People only don't get it because they're overthinking it/they're stupid/the translation sucks. It's actually very simple and straightforward, and all of the aspects of his Stand come naturally from his ability to skip time. Gold Experience is far worse when it comes to stretching the limits of Stands. Messing with your senses? OK, I get that. Turning stuff into organs and body parts? Sure. Creating a snake to counteract a deadly virus? Ehhh, that's a bit out there. loving bringing a person back to life? OK, now that's over the line.

Ashamed of Traps
Aug 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

People only don't get it because they're overthinking it/they're stupid/the translation sucks. It's actually very simple and straightforward, and all of the aspects of his Stand come naturally from his ability to skip time. Gold Experience is far worse when it comes to stretching the limits of Stands. Messing with your senses? OK, I get that. Turning stuff into organs and body parts? Sure. Creating a snake to counteract a deadly virus? Ehhh, that's a bit out there. loving bringing a person back to life? OK, now that's over the line.

I always thought that was because Bruno could only die in the way Rolling Stones predicted.

Ashamed of Traps fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 23, 2013

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

And then there's also the whole turning inanimate objects into living beings with souls that are alive.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

tmboatman posted:

I always thought that was because Bruno could only in the way Rolling Stone predicted.

That's likely it. Bruno was not truly alive after Giorno tried to heal him. Bruno's wounds did not heal, he did not bleed, he was going blind and could only see spiritual energy, and he was getting physically weaker as time went on. At most, if Gold Experience did anything at all, Giorno managed to temporarily bind Bruno's spirit to his corpse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tmboatman posted:

I always thought that was because Bruno could only die in the way Rolling Stones predicted.

I always thought that was because Bruno was too loving badass to die with his job unfinished.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shugojin posted:

Errr sorry, part 3. When you're wondering what The World does at first.

The main difference being that The World eventually gets a solid explanation whereas due to bad translation and sheer :wtc: we don't know what the gently caress King Crimson is.

Now that I think of it, when Polnareff and Dio first meet, was he stopping time and physically moving Polnareff down stairs while time was stopped? The thought of that is pretty funny.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

RatHat posted:

Now that I think of it, when Polnareff and Dio first meet, was he stopping time and physically moving Polnareff down stairs while time was stopped? The thought of that is pretty funny.
He outdoes it later during the final showdown where he takes the time to dismember a cat and put pieces of it in one guy's sandwich and another's drink.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RatHat posted:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dio's basically like a child with his time stop power when he's not murdering dudes and it's hilarious.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Another One Bites the Dust

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Dio's basically like a child with his time stop power when he's not murdering dudes and it's hilarious.

He really is.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 23, 2013

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its...its happening!

e- Man Im really digging Jojolion's stands. They are all balls to the walls crazy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

He really is.

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its...its happening!

e- Man Im really digging Jojolion's stands. They are all balls to the walls crazy.

It's the extra balls that make them extra crazy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is how King Crimson Works.

Diavolo can skip time for up to 10 seconds. During the skipped time everyone would have done what they would have normally done however when the skip ends they will have no memory what happened during the skip. Diavolo can freely move during the skipped time but is incapable of interacting with anything allowing stuff like bullets to go right through him. Once he ends the skipped time he can interact with the world again. He also has epitaph which allows him to see 10 seconds into the future.

Using the future sight and time skip his main tactic is to position himself were his opponent is most vulnerable, end the skip then punch a hole through them with King Crimson's A ranked strength.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Keeps_On_Slippin%27

Literally all there is to it. The lovely translation made it sound more complicated than it actually is.

This is literally the best King Crimson explanation, except that Diavolo can mess with the inbetweens. The end.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A stand so complex they made a thirty minute cartoon to explain it!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
King Crimson is the ability to give the entire world a 10 second long seizure wherein he gets to walk around feeling good about himself as everyone else is confused as gently caress about what's going on. Then he puts a shirt on and answers the frog.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

A stand so complex they made a thirty minute cartoon to explain it!

If the anime ever gets to that they should just play that episode of Futurama instead of animating any of King Crimson's bullshit. :colbert:

On a different note, I'm really enjoying the fight with Axl Ro/Civil War in Steel Ball Run.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Diavolo can skip time for up to 10 seconds. During the skipped time everyone would have done what they would have normally done however when the skip ends they will have no memory what happened during the skip. Diavolo can freely move during the skipped time but is incapable of interacting with anything allowing stuff like bullets to go right through him. Once he ends the skipped time he can interact with the world again. He also has epitaph which allows him to see 10 seconds into the future.

Using the future sight and time skip his main tactic is to position himself were his opponent is most vulnerable, end the skip then punch a hole through them with King Crimson's A ranked strength.

This is the best explanation of King Crimson I've ever seen.

Now could someone explain Silver Chariot Requiem and Bohemian Rhapsody?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Silver Chariot Requiem: loving Stand Arrows, man. EDIT: Okay, so. Being stabbed by the arrow made Silver Chariot like B.I.G in that it activates fully when Polnareff bites it. It puts people to sleep. When they wake up, they're actually in a different body. Moving souls around invites poo poo from beyond the world to come around and get crazy, but people with Stands are less affected by it. Why this happens is anyone's guess. Fuckin' stand arrows, man.

Bohemian Rhapsody: It animates characters that exist as a visual graphic. If you recognize a character, even subconsciously, they can force you into the narrative they originated from. The stand works on a worldwide scale because it wouldn't be Araki without referencing the power of the passion of an artist. You can beat it by basically creating an IP bomb, like Weather Report does.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 24, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He breaks the "can't interact with anything" rule quite a bit though, like splashing blood in people's eyes.

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.

Silver2195 posted:

This is the best explanation of King Crimson I've ever seen.

Now could someone explain Silver Chariot Requiem and Bohemian Rhapsody?

Basically, Silver chariot Requiem is an insane stand, and as such will act freely, on it's own, that being said, all it does is create a field of sleep and then shuffle the souls of everyone in the field. Also it lets people see the darkness within their own hearts through it's shadow and can make your own stand attack you.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, to sum it up Requiem's power is Soul Fuckery and that includes Stands, because they are the user's soul or something I can't remember what Joeseph said in Part 3.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

He breaks the "can't interact with anything" rule quite a bit though, like splashing blood in people's eyes.

Can you tell me which chapter he did that in. If it was Diavolo's blood then I would say once it left his body it did not count as part of him anymore. Lots of situations can be said to be a mix of his skip power and King Crimson's A ranked speed. Take when he killed Narancia My explanation for that was that he used the A ranked speed to toss him into the air then skipped right after. During the skip he would fall onto the spikes and bleed out and when the skip was over only then would people see him bleeding out.

Supporting how I see King Crimson's power working is Polneraff's great counter to King Crimson even though he lost in the end. He cut himself then waited for the pool of blood to suddenly get bigger then used Silver Chariot to slash all around him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 24, 2013

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Can anyone remind me where the gunfight with multiple dudes in one body is in Part 7? That's probably my favorite one, but I can't remember the stand name.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

pinegala posted:

Can anyone remind me where the gunfight with multiple dudes in one body is in Part 7? That's probably my favorite one, but I can't remember the stand name.

Tattoo You! Vol. 11 ch. 45

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.
All the stands in SBR were so great, even if they weren't confirmed to actually exist. I'm lookin at YOU, Hey Ya!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, to sum it up Requiem's power is Soul Fuckery and that includes Stands, because they are the user's soul or something I can't remember what Joeseph said in Part 3.

It's also said in Part 5. Stands are the user exerting power over their own soul. Being pierced by the arrow a second time, grants power over the souls (Stands) of others. This is also kind of backed up by GER cursing Diavolo and Kira's awakened Killer Queen trapping people in a 'loop of fate'.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

pinegala posted:

It's the same arc where Gyro and Johnny have to spend all their money too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schubalts posted:

It's also said in Part 5. Stands are the user exerting power over their own soul. Being pierced by the arrow a second time, grants power over the souls (Stands) of others. This is also kind of backed up by GER cursing Diavolo and Kira's awakened Killer Queen trapping people in a 'loop of fate'.

Kira himself was hit by the arrow though, and the Requiem stands came from the arrow piercing their stand.

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.

RatHat posted:

Kira himself was hit by the arrow though, and the Requiem stands came from the arrow piercing their stand.

And Kira can't even use Bites the Dust on other stand users

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
I am surprised nobody has talked about the Jojoveller art book that just got released in Japan a couple of days ago. Some kind person ripped the two Blue Rays and is hoping somebody can fansub them. Suffice to say, the content in both discs are fabulous and Araki-san is so drat adorable!

$200 for that box ugh.. I hope there will be a standard version later on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Krabbapples posted:

And Kira can't even use Bites the Dust on other stand users

Given how it works it really does not need to.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Kira could use Bites the Dust on an ally he'd be pretty much invincible. The harsh restrictions are probably because of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

As someone who's finally gotten around to reading part 3 after years of being told to, all I have to say is RIP Avdul. :smith: At least Iggy and Kakyoin got to go down swinging, Avdul just got chumped. On the other hand, I do enjoy how willing the series is to kill off characters - it adds a lot of tension to every life or death situation, since it's entirely possible that a main character could die halfway through the series. I was spoiled on who died in Part 3, but not when, so I was sweating bullets for the entire Petshop vs Iggy scene. I can't think of many other shonen manga that kill off main characters so frequently. The death count's DBZ levels in places, only without the dragonballs to undo it all.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Endorph posted:

As someone who's finally gotten around to reading part 3 after years of being told to, all I have to say is RIP Avdul. :smith: At least Iggy and Kakyoin got to go down swinging, Avdul just got chumped.

The end to that whole fight was so :unsmith: though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Speaking of, I'm finally wrapping up SBR (only High Voltage and the outro left) and I'm glad that Gyro Zeppeli got a similar good-bye.

Edit: I finished it. It was rad. New reader friendly, old reader fanservicey. Nyoho.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 26, 2013

• Locked thread