Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Needing a recessed lensboard for a 135mm lens seems a little ridiculous... what if you pull the bound-up parts away from the standards while moving the standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ExecuDork posted:

Spooky and awesome. Where (roughly) in the world is that island?

It's exactly here. If you want to know how I gained access, I'd gladly oblige, but not on a public forum.
It's pretty much undisturbed and I'd like to keep it that way. Sadly, I ran out of time, due to no electrical lights, but I plan to come back.

Bonus picture:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Bonus picture:

That owns.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

Needing a recessed lensboard for a 135mm lens seems a little ridiculous... what if you pull the bound-up parts away from the standards while moving the standards?

I tried and didn't get much more.

Recessed lens boards seem kind of expensive for what they are. I found some bag bellows for a decent price and bought them. I figure I'll probably end up with a 90mm lens at some point and it will be worth having.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

eggsovereasy posted:

I tried and didn't get much more.

Recessed lens boards seem kind of expensive for what they are. I found some bag bellows for a decent price and bought them. I figure I'll probably end up with a 90mm lens at some point and it will be worth having.
I'd forgotten that bag bellows were a thing that exist, that's probably a much better idea.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

"Universal bellows" that have a bag end and a normal folding bellows end are the best, IMO.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dukeku posted:

"Universal bellows" that have a bag end and a normal folding bellows end are the best, IMO.

god that camera is pretty

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Genderfluid posted:

It's a joy to use, too. :allears:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I looked at Chamonix, but they're a lot money to lay out when I'm not even sure I'll like large format and I couldn't find a used one anywhere. I work out of my car mostly anyway so it's not liking I'm climbing a mountain with it and a cheap monorail will give me good exposure (:v:) to large format. I can already tell lugging this thing around is going to be a pain so I'll probably end up buying a Chamonix or some other field camera later if I like it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

I looked at Chamonix, but they're a lot money to lay out when I'm not even sure I'll like large format and I couldn't find a used one anywhere. I work out of my car mostly anyway so it's not liking I'm climbing a mountain with it and a cheap monorail will give me good exposure (:v:) to large format. I can already tell lugging this thing around is going to be a pain so I'll probably end up buying a Chamonix or some other field camera later if I like it.

Used Chamonix cameras come up for sale at least a few times a month on the Large Format Photography Forum. There was just one this past week for $750. Go sign up now - you don't get access to the buy/sell subforum until 30 days after you register.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Genderfluid posted:

And very stylish in it's fancy leather jacket.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Finally got my first couple rolls from the Pentax 67 developed.

Pentax 67 Scan by g.hetzel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shot 16 rolls of slides in Japan but ironically only 1 roll of b&w (TMAX 400), and these 3 are the ones I felt were decent enough to show.

Kanazawa Castle by alkanphel, on Flickr

Ryoanji Interior by alkanphel, on Flickr

Ryoanji Rock Garden by alkanphel, on Flickr

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

8th-snype posted:

And very stylish in it's fancy leather jacket.

Please tell me more about this camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

hybr1d posted:

Please tell me more about this camera.

The Chamonix is an amazing 4x5, I think there are 4 or 5 of us in here using one. This video does a better job than I can explaining it's features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEJ0GMWJk-Y

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Last of that roll of Portra 400 and some GP3 that gave me a real hassle scanning. I think I've fallen in love with medium format stuff.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Shot of me by a friend of mine on my homemade 8x10 camera with some RC paper. We were going to do an afternoon of wet plate, but I didn't realise you need to let the collodion sit for 2 weeks before you use it.

Myself by mr_student, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So after trying to take the Norma out, I just don't want to mess with a camera this cumbersome and I'm going to return it and buy a field camera that can at least fold up and fit in a bag.

I was looking at the Chamonix website, and they have a new model (045F1) that adds base and asymmetrical tilts of the rear standard, is that worth the $120 difference in price?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

So after trying to take the Norma out, I just don't want to mess with a camera this cumbersome and I'm going to return it and buy a field camera that can at least fold up and fit in a bag.

I was looking at the Chamonix website, and they have a new model (045F1) that adds base and asymmetrical tilts of the rear standard, is that worth the $120 difference in price?

As far as I can tell, asymmetrical rear tilts are only really useful for tabletop macro and such. It'd make using tilt a lot faster if it were on the front, but, well, that'd make the front standard a lot more complicated and not nearly as light.

I say skip it.

edit: to clarify, asymmetrical tilts make it so it (ideally) only takes one pass to dial in your tilt. However, rear movements affect perspective, which makes rear asymmetrical tilts not really work for most of the kind of stuff I do. With practice it won't take more than 2 or maybe 3 iterations to get the focus right on front tilt. Pro tip: since the front tilt is around the lens axis (assuming a centered lensboard), start with rise/fall zeroed out and find how much tilt you need before dialing in rise/fall.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 23, 2013

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just bought a Pentax 6x7 w/ a 75mm lens and a 200mm lens for $500 (including shipping).

Squeeeeeeee.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I just sold my 5D mk2 and am now strictly on film. A little bit nervous but i'm really poor and made the genius decision a cpl of months ago to blow waay too much money on film. I made my bed so am lying in it.

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

I just sold my 5D mk2 and am now strictly on film. A little bit nervous but i'm really poor and made the genius decision a cpl of months ago to blow waay too much money on film. I made my bed so am lying in it.

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

:getin:

hail satan

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

but how will you buy more film now :ohdear:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

but how will you buy more film now :ohdear:

WTT prints for film

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Not enough Portra in there

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dukeku posted:

Not enough Portra in there

Needs a lot more Provia 100F too.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

And less Reala.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
What dont you like about it?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Reala is like Ektar without any redeeming qualities. 400H is the shiznit though.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

aliencowboy posted:

Reala is like Ektar without any redeeming qualities. 400H is the shiznit though.

lol wut

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Joe by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Tre by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Reala owns and I'm sad I only have a 5 pack in my fridge.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You should know by now that my sweeping generalizations aren't founded in any sort of logic.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea I shot a few expired reala rolls a while back and compared to the other expired film stock, reala does not hold nicely over the years.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aliencowboy posted:

I agree with this. In my experience, similarly to Ektar, when Reala works, it works great... but it's not nearly as flexible as Portra or even 400H. 400H, by the way, wishes it could be Portra - similar approach to color, but less dynamic range and more grain.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Well then. Anyone wanna swap a box or two of Reala for a box or two of some nice black & white? I've found I have been demolishing my B&W stocks and not so much my colour. which is mostly due to the fact that I have been really going hard with long exposures, and I have the HI Tech 10 stop ND, which as you might know has a ghastly blue hue.

PM me if you wanna do a quick swapsies, I'm in Australia.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

I agree with this. In my experience, similarly to Ektar, when Reala works, it works great... but it's not nearly as flexible as Portra or even 400H. 400H, by the way, wishes it could be Portra - similar approach to color, but less dynamic range and more grain.

I dig the grain and I really like the greens in Superia and 400H. I definitely prefer it for normal outdoor shooting conditions, but that's just my bias.

edit: ^^^ Trade your Reala for an XA. You won't regret it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

Well then. Anyone wanna swap a box or two of Reala for a box or two of some nice black & white? I've found I have been demolishing my B&W stocks and not so much my colour. which is mostly due to the fact that I have been really going hard with long exposures, and I have the HI Tech 10 stop ND, which as you might know has a ghastly blue hue.

PM me if you wanna do a quick swapsies, I'm in Australia.

Acros loving owns for long exposures. No reciprocity failure to think about, just shoot as metered up to 1000 seconds.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
That is really handy to know. Thanks a bunch. Fomapan is a nightmare!! (Which I had tonnes of)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

That is really handy to know. Thanks a bunch. Fomapan is a nightmare!! (Which I had tonnes of)

Indeed. Check this out: http://consumptive.org/technical/Fomapan_100_Schwarzchild_Effect.pdf

4 stops of correction needed at 100 seconds metered exposure :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TMAX 400

Stacked Chairs, Bukit Merah, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

My first long exposure at night using Acros

Night Landscape, West Coast, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

• Locked thread