Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've built the Pyramids on turn 200 before. So I can't criticize him for that. :v:

Stuff like that can happen fairly often now with the new SP specific wonders. Only one Civ may go for a SP tree and they might not want to build a wonder early in the game for various reasons.

My favorite BNW change was the fact that they made wonder sniping harder, but didn't limit people's playing styles (unless you count being a dick as a play style).

Edit: Out of morbid curiousity, I downloaded the various mods I had spoken of. I last about half an hour before I quit to desktop. It's like they took all the progress the updates and dlc made and replaced it with memes and cricle jerking. :smith:

haplesscardsharp fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Shaka just built the Terracotta Army. :negative:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

nutranurse posted:

I hope he's not anywhere near you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Quickly bribe him to attack whoever is conveniently placed to distract him.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Should be the next thread title.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

nutranurse posted:

I wish you luck in your current conflict.

At least it doesn't double his army (unless he only has one of everything).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's what? A warrior, an archer, a spearman and possibly a composite bow? Oh, the horror.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Oh god. I broke the game. I rushed religion as Egypt, got +2 happy from temples and pagodas, fully intending to shower the continent in size 8 cities everywhere, when my religion spreads to Sweden, the only other guy on my continent. Queue him making GBS threads out 10 cities in under 30 turns. Including one with 3 workable land tiles. All ice. And no resources. :negative:

Oldeba
Jun 5, 2004
self-sufficience please
I do love this game, but I feel like the opening of scout, scout, shrine or warrior, shrine is getting stale for me. The first 30 turns or so seem to be the same thing every game until the decision to go wide (Tradition 1 -> Liberty) or tall (Tradition) I was hoping that with Piety being moved to Ancient in BNW, it would be a viable opener. It just seems like Tradition is so useful, it's the only way to go. I hope that in the upcoming balance patch either the other policies get buffed or Tradition gets toned down.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cynic Jester posted:

Oh god. I broke the game. I rushed religion as Egypt, got +2 happy from temples and pagodas, fully intending to shower the continent in size 8 cities everywhere, when my religion spreads to Sweden, the only other guy on my continent. Queue him making GBS threads out 10 cities in under 30 turns. Including one with 3 workable land tiles. All ice. And no resources. :negative:

Yeah, they really need to do something about AI city building. Even if they've got infinite happiness, they're still losing 5% science from the rest of their empire every time they build a worthless city.

Oldeba posted:

I do love this game, but I feel like the opening of scout, scout, shrine or warrior, shrine is getting stale for me. The first 30 turns or so seem to be the same thing every game until the decision to go wide (Tradition 1 -> Liberty) or tall (Tradition) I was hoping that with Piety being moved to Ancient in BNW, it would be a viable opener. It just seems like Tradition is so useful, it's the only way to go. I hope that in the upcoming balance patch either the other policies get buffed or Tradition gets toned down.

I don't really bother with shrines. Pantheons aren't that good. I go scout (or Jaguar) then worker, and beeline all the early techs I need for my nearby resources. You are correct about Tradition, though - I don't even consider going Liberty at all. I think it's probably the combination of the National College plus the super-capital Tradition gives you that makes it so good.

Gort fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 23, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Poil posted:

That's what? A warrior, an archer, a spearman and possibly a composite bow? Oh, the horror.

And a catapult. Doubling that will give you enough resources to take any city you want, I think.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oldeba posted:

Yeah, Tradition is way too good and just the bonus to starting culture lets you fill out other trees fastest anyway. I usually lead off with a Worker and pursue a basically isolationist strategy until I can construct a massive trading system. This is probably because I'm studying economics and basically copy the American approach to building a superpower economy, complete with letting the three biggest economies devastate each other while I continue to build infrastructure.

At some point soon I'm going to start a super-huge epic game as Mongolia where domination is the only win condition.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Oldeba posted:

I feel like Tradtion and Liberty are intended to be the "main" social policy trees, and any others you adopt are supposed to supplement that. The first two Piety policies do that pretty well, but then you have to waste your culture on two worthless policies to get to the reformation belief, which if you can't get Jesuit Education or Sacred Sites can be pretty disappointing too.

e: Forgot that you don't need Theocracy to get the reformation belief. Still, Religious Tolerance is probably the single worst social policy in any tree.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 23, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I am Reverend posted:

I feel like Tradtion and Liberty are intended to be the "main" social policy trees, and any others you adopt are supposed to supplement that. The first two Piety policies do that pretty well, but then you have to waste your culture on two worthless policies to get to the reformation belief, which if you can't get Jesuit Education or Sacred Sites can be pretty disappointing too.

Simple way to fix Piety: alter the +1 Faith policy to give +1 Faith and +1 Culture. It'd be slightly stronger than Tradition or Liberty for Culture generation, especially in the long term, but counterbalanced by the requirement to build Shrines and Temples to get it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I am Reverend posted:

They need to tell the AI that, then - I see a ton of AIs go Honour or Piety first and just end up completely sucking as a result. It's doubly great when you see an AI go Honour and then not go to war with anyone, getting steadily more and more behind the curve with each passing turn.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I used to go Liberty every game and enjoyed going wide but now that I'm less ignorant about the game it's pretty much four city tradition every single time. I don't even really see any opportunities to do something different unless I can snag a really strong pantheon.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do The Evolution posted:

I used to go Liberty every game and enjoyed going wide but now that I'm less ignorant about the game it's pretty much four city tradition every single time. I don't even really see any opportunities to do something different unless I can snag a really strong pantheon.
I snagged the Fountain of Youth as Pocatello and was on a continent full of horses. Just for the hell of it I decided to crank out as many cities as possible just because I've never played that way and long story short thanks to the Fountain of Youth, eight cities with horses and circuses, the Circus Maximus, Notre Dame, and various social policies, I had ten cities, an easy tech lead, and +40 happiness (if I remember correctly).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was doing really, really, really well until some dude declared war on me and razed my main city. I got it back a turn later and had to rebuild basically every building in it, and the population was down to about 3. When I raze cities it doesn't happen that fast!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

redreader posted:

I was doing really, really, really well until some dude declared war on me and razed my main city. I got it back a turn later and had to rebuild basically every building in it, and the population was down to about 3. When I raze cities it doesn't happen that fast!

It was probably Attila.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jedit posted:

It was probably Attila.
When in doubt, it was probably Attila's fault. Or Shaka.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Crazy Ted posted:

When in doubt, it was probably Attila's fault. Or Shaka.

Is it just me or has Shaka dethroned Attila and Genghis- at least in the AI's hands- as military king? The Impi and the three special promotions are just so good. Genghis has the Keshiks and Khans, which are incredible, but it seems like Shaka's brute force 'build special barracks, poo poo out units, promote and Impi until everything dies' is better for the AI.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Stallion Cabana posted:

Is it just me or has Shaka dethroned Attila and Genghis- at least in the AI's hands- as military king? The Impi and the three special promotions are just so good. Genghis has the Keshiks and Khans, which are incredible, but it seems like Shaka's brute force 'build special barracks, poo poo out units, promote and Impi until everything dies' is better for the AI.
As an AI, Genghis almost always gets slapped around in my games because he goes after city-states too fast thanks to his UA and everyone gangs up on him.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Crazy Ted posted:

As an AI, Genghis almost always gets slapped around in my games because he goes after city-states too fast thanks to his UA and everyone gangs up on him.

Historically accurate.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
"Well I missed out on founding a religion but I just conquered Constantinople, let's see what she's got..."

:ughh:

(actually in retrospect I guess she used her bonus belief to get some faith building? That would actually be clever if I could believe it was intentional)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

It was probably Attila.

It was the danish guy or the swedish guy. They're so close together (and both in this particular game) that I confused them.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

(actually in retrospect I guess she used her bonus belief to get some faith building? That would actually be clever if I could believe it was intentional)

It doesn't look like she took a bonus belief though. Did you arrange by religion? I would assume it'd show up there if she did indeed take the bonus.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ulvirich posted:

It doesn't look like she took a bonus belief though. Did you arrange by religion? I would assume it'd show up there if she did indeed take the bonus.

Her unique ability gives her a bonus belief. You don't get the bonus belief if you take over her holy city and religion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Normally you get the pantheon, then a founder + follower belief, then a follower + enhancer belief. There is only a single follower belief so it looks like she never enhanced her religion. The presence of an enhancer belief, Missionary Zeal, shows that was the bonus belief she took when founding the religion. She didn't have any religious buildings.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Star Platinum posted:

"Well I missed out on founding a religion but I just conquered Constantinople, let's see what she's got..."

:ughh:

Hey, at least it's not Heathen Conversion!

I can't see that being useful unless you did something completely nuts like intentionally send yourself into revolt and converted the revolting units for a no-production army. On the other hand, you'd still be at -10 happiness or worse, and you could have just gotten Holy Warriors.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

fivre posted:

Hey, at least it's not Heathen Conversion!

I can't see that being useful unless you did something completely nuts like intentionally send yourself into revolt and converted the revolting units for a no-production army. On the other hand, you'd still be at -10 happiness or worse, and you could have just gotten Holy Warriors.

I've been working on a Space Victory Montezuma run for the first post of an LP I'm working on, and I wish I had Heathen Conversion.

Something broke in the Barbarian spawning in that game and I'm getting fortified camps in the middle of my territory or two steps outside. It's crazy and I wish I could convert them.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

In my current game as Siam, I have three plantations all on bananas but am getting no happiness from them nor can I trade any. I even expanded my border to build the third plantation on a banana hex to see if that would work and nope, still no bonuses. Every other luxury is being counted. Even the resources screens show no bananas. Anyone else getting jack poo poo from bananas?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bananas are a food resource and not a luxury. :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

parthenocarpy posted:

Anyone else getting jack poo poo from bananas?

You get reduced science because you can't build trade posts on them but that's about it.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Seriously? Was that a BNW change? I could have sworn I've traded bananas in the past

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

parthenocarpy posted:

Seriously? Was that a BNW change? I could have sworn I've traded bananas in the past

It was not. Maybe you're thinking of Citrus?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

parthenocarpy posted:

Bananas were a health resource in Civ4.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Cheer up, I'm sure there's a Planet of the Apes mod where bananas are a luxury.

Edit: So I just accidentally achieved a culture victory.

haplesscardsharp fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 24, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How do food resources work? Are they just a +1 to that tile, or is it a +1 to all cities connected to the city that harvests that food?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
They just add to the tile, it's not like Civ 4 where health resources benefit your whole empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Stone and maybe some other resources I forget are the same way, just an improved tile yield.

• Locked thread