Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hakuoki is an "otome" game, ie a visual novel/dating sim with androgynous dudes instead of prepubescent girls. Aksys seems to be releasing a lot of these lately, or at least a non-zero amount which seems like a lot to me. Who the hell is buying them, exactly?
Not sure - but the DS was a hotbed of otome games with nothing aimed at men (2 or 3 tokimemo games for instance, all of them "Girl's side") while the PSP got the classic ren'ai game (ports) and the 3DS/Vita have been continuing that, so it's not really 100% unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't know what to think about Nintendo putting up the digital versions of games two weeks before retail. I mean, it's obviously a ploy to make sure fanboys give them the money directly.

It's also going to work on me! I am kind of grumpy that I can't get that bitchin' Zelda gamepad, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's more they wanted to release the new bundle as soon as possible but didn't want people pissed off with a game only available in bundle form for two weeks.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So, according to this, there's a Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate sale with 50% price cut for a short time.

EDIT: I need new glasses.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 19, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dudes, note the Monster Hunter sale - 50% off on both platforms in both regions for a few days ($30 on WU and $20 on 3DS, I guess).

I guess $40 Ausland Funbux for the Wii U version is okay considering the $64(OGS)-$74(local) the physical copies are still selling for.

Probably won't pick it up, though. Spent about that much on the original Tri Classic Controller Pro bundle and didn't really get in to it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Echophonic posted:

I don't know what to think about Nintendo putting up the digital versions of games two weeks before retail.

Chris Kohler at Wired had a really good take on this: The digital version isn't two weeks early, the retail version is two weeks late. It's going to be on shelves when Nintendo gets the goods pressed, assembled, and shipped. Their first retail commitment that month is to the Wii U Zelda bundle, and everything else becomes secondary.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sarchasm posted:

Chris Kohler at Wired had a really good take on this: The digital version isn't two weeks early, the retail version is two weeks late. It's going to be on shelves when Nintendo gets the goods pressed, assembled, and shipped. Their first retail commitment that month is to the Wii U Zelda bundle, and everything else becomes secondary.

It's more of an 'Oh, I expected to have to wait until October!' sort of thing. I'm just used to Nintendo doing inexplicable poo poo regarding the internet. I have no issues with it, just not sure what to make of them doing sensible things. I think I'd rather do digital anyway, since the disc version doesn't have any perks. Getting it two weeks earlier than expected is nice bonus, too.

Fake edit: I still want that gamepad. Nintendo! :argh:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well some retailers have a Ganon statue for ordering the physical copy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

greatn posted:

Well some retailers have a Ganon statue for ordering the physical copy.

I think it's just Gamestop that has the statue (for the US at least).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Digital gets you those sweet sweet $5 voucher credits, which is really what made me pick that route instead of physical. If it's a game I know I want to pay full price for (I am a big proponent of voting with your wallet) and want to keep around I'll download it to the 2 terabyte HD I got last fall for real cheap. Otherwise I'll look for discounted retail discs for things I'm interested in but don't want to keep forever. It's been working pretty well so far.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I bought Airace on the eshop, pretty cool little game, kinda like a flying F-Zero.
The music is pretty bland and the framerate isn't 100% consistent, but it mostly runs at a buttery 60fps with 3D on. I really really like the 3D, it feels like you get a wider view than any other game I've played and it helps a lot with identifying the obstacles ahead and enhances the sense of speed.
I've only done a few courses but I'm already happy with this purchase, it was pretty cheap and I can see myself going for time trials.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Not sure - but the DS was a hotbed of otome games with nothing aimed at men (2 or 3 tokimemo games for instance, all of them "Girl's side") while the PSP got the classic ren'ai game (ports) and the 3DS/Vita have been continuing that, so it's not really 100% unexpected.

Yeah, I remember there being a whole bunch of 'em in Japan (I even bought one thinking it was a Castlevania clone!) but I don't know why they've started getting English releases all of a sudden. I kinda get the impression that Aksys wants to carve a niche with visual novels after the success of 999 but doesn't really have anything else to choose from, but maybe I'm overthinking things and there genuinely is an English audience for otome games, what do I know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was mostly ok with the Wii Virtual Console. It was the first time Nintendo ran such a service and in the first year it felt like a decent amount of games came out. It wasn't the amount of games anyone hoped for, but there were games. It's almost a year and we get Super Mario Bros as the sole game this week. Amazing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MassRafTer posted:

I was mostly ok with the Wii Virtual Console. It was the first time Nintendo ran such a service and in the first year it felt like a decent amount of games came out. It wasn't the amount of games anyone hoped for, but there were games. It's almost a year and we get Super Mario Bros as the sole game this week. Amazing.

And the 3DS gets Solomon's Key, which so many people were clamoring for.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

And the 3DS gets Solomon's Key, which so many people were clamoring for.

To me I log into the 3DS eshop and I see games I haven't played in a long time or missed because there was so much shovelware on the Gameboy. That doesn't make it good, but at least the old games on there feel new. The stuff on the Wii U Virtual Console feels like games I could rediscover years ago.

I am also the one person on the planet who was excited to see Kirby's Block Ball on there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of September 26):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    The Croods: Prehistoric Party! - €29.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade - €19.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Gradius (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €4.89 / £4.19 until October 3
    Kung Fu Rabbit (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £2.24 until October 3

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Inazuma Eleven 3: Lightning Bolt (September 27) - €34.99 / £29.99
    Inazuma Eleven 3: Bomb Blast (September 27) - €34.99 / £29.99
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - €39.99 / £34.99
    FIFA 14 - €49.99 / £39.99
    Around the World with Hello Kitty and Friends - €29.99 / £29.99
    Jewel Master: Cradle of Rome 2 - €19.99 / £17.99
3DS eSHOP
    Happy Circus - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Milon's Secret Castle (NES) - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until October 3
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.49 until October 3
    Tangram Style (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 from September 26-October 31

gently caress off, EA.

Zelda 2/Gradius are both the US versions. Milon's Secret Castle is discounted for a reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 23, 2013

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Man, I wish the US would get Inazuma Eleven. I know soccer/futbol is pretty nonexistent here, but the game's already in English so they may as well release it here as a digital only or something.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
For whatever reasons, Witch & Hero is getting a demo next week.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Machine posted:

Man, I wish the US would get Inazuma Eleven. I know soccer/futbol is pretty nonexistent here, but the game's already in English so they may as well release it here as a digital only or something.

Soccer isn't nonexistent here. Look at the millions of copies FIFA sells in America every year. Also, MLS gains popularity every year.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This might be old news, but Atlus USA on Facebook announced a (permanent?) price cut for Soul Hackers and EO4 down to $29.99 for each.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^The deal with Inazuma Eleven is that don't want to release it in territories that aren't also getting the anime, I think. I remember the EU release was all over the place due to delays in rolling out the anime; the game ended up skipping the UK for a long time, and the different EU versions only had one language on the cart, so people ended up having to hunt down the Scandinavian version in order to play the game in English.

Anyway, four Irem TG16 games have magically reappeared on the Wii VC - R-Type, Legend of Hero Tomna, Vigilante and Ninja Spirit.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sarchasm posted:

I bet he also would say that Nintendo is charging a $30 premium for Wii Fit on a disc..

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whats the word on the GBC Shantae? I'm thinking about getting it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PonchAxis posted:

Go into it expecting an "NES Hard" game. It's kind of like Zelda II, if the game didn't have an overhead world and all the areas were just interconnected like in Metroid. The dungeon parts are great, but the areas you need to traverse between towns and dungeons are kind of annoying in the early stages of the game. Some grunt enemies take a lot of hits to kill until you get a few pieces of equipment/skills that make them more manageable. There's a day/night system which determines when you can get certain collectibles (fireflies for an optional spell) and which determine the health of the enemies (at night, enemies take a ridiculous amount of hits to kill until you get said skills). And in a few areas, namely this stretch of landscape full of waterfalls and pits, you may end up blindly jumping into said pits due to how much vertical space they give to the area (the trick is to drop straight down off an edge rather than leap off until you get used to the layout).

It has a lot of rough areas, but the dungeons are well done, and the whole game is a nice take on the whole Zelda II/Battle of Olympus/Monster World IV/Metroidvania 2D action-adventure platforming thing. Your Results May Vary (tm) but I managed to beat it while playing it on-and-off for a week or so.

Risky's Revenge fixed a lot of those issues. If you played that game, then just expect a more difficult, slightly longer version of that.

Anyway, four Irem TG16 games have magically reappeared on the Wii VC - R-Type, Legend of Hero Tomna, Vigilante and Ninja Spirit.

Huh, that's odd. Is this the first time a pulled game got put back on the service?

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 24, 2013

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PonchAxis posted:

Short, kind of hard, lots of cheap enemy spawns in areas where they can spawn infinitely and anywhere, enemies take LOTS of hits and traversing the world map is a pain in the rear end unless you take the time to find all the Warp Squids.

Its fun though. The graphics and music are really polished and it gets a lot better after the first two dungeons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Huh, that's odd. Is this the first time a pulled game got put back on the service?

TMNT NES disappeared for a while and then came back when Konami re-upped the license, I think.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GBC Shantae is hard in a really frustrating way in that even savestates can't help alleviate it. The areas are all ridiculously tall, it's sometimes hard to tell what you can stand on/walk through, and you can constantly fall and hit enemies and lose your meager amount of starting health really quickly. I was really disappointed and didn't make it very far at all.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PonchAxis posted:

I would pass. It's charming as hell and looks incredible for a GameBoy Color game, but I think the allure of the original cartridge as a collector's item has somehow been wrongly conflated with this notion that it's also a really fun game. It's not. It's stiff, cheap, and badly paced, and it makes mistakes of design that even mediocre platformers of the era knew to avoid.

If you want a fun GameBoy era platformer, I suggest one of the WarioLand titles.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My experience with the two Shantae games out there actually makes me a little bit less excited for the 3DS and Kickstarter ones.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm reading that Etrian Odyssey 4 and SMT Soul Hackers have been permanently reduced to $29.99 on the NA eShop, can anyone check and confirm?

Hakuoki has allegedly been dropped to $24.99, too. That was quick.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Just checked and yup, dropped from $39.99 to $29.99 for both of them. And for Hakuoki if you're talking about Memories of the Shinsengumi that's $24.99 as well.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

Hakuoki has allegedly been dropped to $24.99, too. That was quick.

Huh, what is this and should I care?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

The Machine posted:

Huh, what is this and should I care?

Can you stand anime? Do you want to date some samurai dudes?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
No and yes, so I am conflicted!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some info on Treasurenauts, Renegade Kid's upcoming 3DS eShop game:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/62160583140/treasurenauts-and-the-beauty-of-roughness-i

Sounds a lot less mundane than Mutant Mudds, at least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of September 26):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade - €19.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Gradius (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €4.89 / £4.19 until October 3
    Kung Fu Rabbit (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £2.24 until October 3

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Inazuma Eleven 3: Lightning Bolt (September 27) - €34.99 / £29.99
    Inazuma Eleven 3: Bomb Blast (September 27) - €34.99 / £29.99
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - €39.99 / £34.99
    FIFA 14 - €49.99 / £39.99
    Around the World with Hello Kitty and Friends - €29.99 / £29.99
    Jewel Master: Cradle of Rome 2 - €19.99 / £17.99
3DS eSHOP
    Happy Circus - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Milon's Secret Castle (NES) - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until October 3
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.49 until October 3
    Tangram Style (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until October 31

NA update (week of September 26):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong 3 (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until October 3
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - 33% off from October 1-7

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - $39.99 (October 1)
    Rune Factory 4 - $39.99 (October 1)
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (permanent price reduction) - $29.99
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor: Soul Hackers (permanent price reduction) - $29.99
    Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (permanent price reduction) - $24.99

3DS eSHOP
    Carps & Dragons - $4.99
    Family Table Tennis 3D - $4.99
    Let's Ride: Best in Breed 3D - $?
    Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace - $7.99
    Paws & Claws Pampered Pet Resort 3D - $?
DSiWARE
    Astro - $?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $39.99 from October 1-14
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - $3.99 off until October 2
    Bike Rider DX (3DS eShop) - $2.99 off until October 9
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Art Academy: First Semester (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Pilotwings (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until October 6

I'd just like to remind people that FIFA 14 3DS is a shameless reskin and EA even mentions the fact that it's just a roster update on the press release. At least Ubisoft does us the courtesy of overcharging for actual new games.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 27, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Who'd buy FIFA when Inazuma 3 is out anyway?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Soul Hackers is new to EU, right?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

irlZaphod posted:

Soul Hackers is new to EU, right?

Yes.

Also: what the gently caress EA, 50€ for Fifa. Doesn't that make it the most expensive game on the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dunban posted:

Yes.

Also: what the gently caress EA, 50€ for Fifa. Doesn't that make it the most expensive game on the system?

Considering the new content (some text updates) it doesn't even really qualify as an expansion pack. It's barely worthy of being DLC and this isn't even a 'hurr, all sports games are the same' post (they are, but still). The game is literally a roster update. Zero gameplay changes. It's a €50 text swap.