Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Cross-post from the birding thread.

Mystery Gull

Mystery Shorebird (juvi American Golden-Plover?)

Pectoral Sandpiper?

Juvi Semi-palmated Plover?

I'm in awe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
a couple from this evening, too much junk in the way though :smith:

Sora by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Swainson's Thrush by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Moon Potato posted:

Thank you. I lucked out with him landing on the only dead branch on the tree, too - the orange needles go well with his dark blue feathers.

*her. The women wear the pants (belts).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
:golfclap:

If there isn't a market for bird making GBS threads photos by God we'll shoehorn it in there.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If there isn't a market for bird making GBS threads photos by God we'll shoehorn it in there.

That's good because I have a series.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

quote:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > making GBS threads birds, for n00bs, using camera

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You got me searching the big nature libraries for photos of animals defecating. I've got a lot of respect for the guy who stayed in the water while this was happening.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 16, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Hypnotized posted:

That's good because I have a series.

Well done. Herons really are fantastic poopers.

Belted kingfishers aren't quite as prolific in that department.

smallmouth posted:

*her. The women wear the pants (belts).
According to the guides I have and my observations at the marsh, all of them have a blue belt. The females have a rust-colored band (or at least some rust-colored patches) on their belly.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 17, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Never stop posting these. :allears:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Never stop posting these. :allears:
Seconded.

I have no pictures, and certainly no animations either of birds defecating. I do find myself searching for that behaviour, now. Oh how I love this thread.

Anyway, have some Canada Geese on final approach, and out of focus.

Around the Train Bridge 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Around the Train Bridge 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nature was just showing off yesterday.

I've spotted a couple of these guys fishing and circling over good rodent-hunting territory. Is it an unusual morph or juvenile of some sort of skua or jaeger, or are there gulls that prefer hunting over raiding the dumpsters on the other side of the highway?

This is very pretty!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Moon Potato posted:

I've spotted a couple of these guys fishing and circling over good rodent-hunting territory. Is it an unusual morph or juvenile of some sort of skua or jaeger, or are there gulls that prefer hunting over raiding the dumpsters on the other side of the highway?

I recall a study that tracked gulls, and found that rather than certain gulls sticking to certain locations, almost all of the gulls would travel during the day with a lot of variation in their habitat. Like, in the morning one would fly out to open ocean to fish, then to the landfill to pick over garbage, then inland to pick out grubs after fields were ploughed, then to the city to steal fries from tourists, then to a local lake to eat frogs and flies. I've seen a gull on the seawall dive into a foot of water to grab a 6-inch starfish, then stand around awkwardly like some kind of Cthulhu monster as it tried to swallow it, tentacles waving out of its mouth.

Gulls are the ultimate generalist birds.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

One Swell Foop posted:

I've seen a gull on the seawall dive into a foot of water to grab a 6-inch starfish, then stand around awkwardly like some kind of Cthulhu monster as it tried to swallow it, tentacles waving out of its mouth.

Gulls are the ultimate generalist birds.

I live Van also and actually my gf took a picture of a gull doing exactly what you're describing a month ago or so. Looked for the photo but it's not on my computer.

Bunch of shots from the Bloedel Conservatory in Vancouver. I'm still learning so it was great to go out and shoot relatively captive subjects. I don't know the names of these birds sadly.

Bloedel8 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel7 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel6 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel5 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel4 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel2 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel1 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

VelociBacon posted:

I live Van also and actually my gf took a picture of a gull doing exactly what you're describing a month ago or so. Looked for the photo but it's not on my computer.

Bunch of shots from the Bloedel Conservatory in Vancouver. I'm still learning so it was great to go out and shoot relatively captive subjects. I don't know the names of these birds sadly.

Eclectus Parrot

quote:

Blue-and-yellow Macaw

quote:

Princess Parrot

quote:

quote:

African Superb Starling

quote:

Princess Parrot

quote:

Zebra Finch

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some more shots from Arcata Marsh

American Bittern

Peregrine Falcon

Belted Kingfisher (female)

White-tailed Kite

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I like these :parrot:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Back from my Mongolia trek, I managed to catch lots of hawks! Considering the conditions (stop the horses, I need to get off and swing my bigma around the sky like an idiot!), I'm fairly happy with the results :3:

DSC_3637 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3559 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3556 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3538 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3554 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3536 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3544 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

Also my first time messing around with post processing, hopefully I didn't fumble too badly :shobon:

Bonus: "Tame" golden eagle not taking poo poo from the apprentice eagle hunter.

DSC_3651 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3668 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3691 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the wildlife is pretty spare in Mongolia. I think I only have a couple of interesting bird shots to process still.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A few from yesterday

Mountain Bluebird

Northern Harrier

Black-crowned Night Heron

Moon Potato posted:

Some more shots from Arcata Marsh

American Bittern

All great shots! I'm really jealous of this one especially as I still haven't seen a bittern, despite hearing them calling all over my usual haunts.

Mango Polo posted:

Back from my Mongolia trek, I managed to catch lots of hawks! Considering the conditions (stop the horses, I need to get off and swing my bigma around the sky like an idiot!), I'm fairly happy with the results :3:

DSC_3637 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3559 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3556 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3538 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3554 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3536 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3544 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

Also my first time messing around with post processing, hopefully I didn't fumble too badly :shobon:

Bonus: "Tame" golden eagle not taking poo poo from the apprentice eagle hunter.

DSC_3651 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

DSC_3691 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the wildlife is pretty spare in Mongolia. I think I only have a couple of interesting bird shots to process still.
Just quoting this entire post of awesome. How did you end up in Mongolia?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mango Polo posted:

Back from my Mongolia trek

Everything in this post owns. Also, god drat. You forget just how big these are until you get a size reference.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Just quoting this entire post of awesome. How did you end up in Mongolia?

A few years back a goon mentioned in passing Zavkhan Trekking and it caught my interest. Things kept getting in the way and I had to move back my trip by a year three times, until I finally got around to doing it.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Everything in this post owns. Also, god drat. You forget just how big these are until you get a size reference.

They are massive. I didn't really want to post most of the pictures I took of the eagle since the hunter was an rear end and kept shaking him for our amusement, but here's a shot with the wings spread out.

DSC_3658 by Mango Polo, on Flickr

I wouldn't particularly like having that beak centimeters away from my face, especially when the eagle is uncooperative.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Awesome perspective.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Mango Polo posted:

Mongolia stuffs.
Fantastic work!

InternetJunky posted:

Northern Harrier
Good job on this one - did you just luck out and have one fly over you, or did you do anything special to set up for it? The harriers in my area tend to stay pretty close to the ground when they're out hunting.

quote:

All great shots! I'm really jealous of this one especially as I still haven't seen a bittern, despite hearing them calling all over my usual haunts.
Thanks. That guy flies in from the periphery of the marsh every day, settles in a patch of reeds on an island and leaves by the same route right before sunset. I wasn't sure whether I was seeing a green heron, a bittern or a juvenile black-crowned night heron for a long time until he passed right over me when I was setting up to film kites.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Mango Polo posted:

They look great to me, although when I look at the large or original sized images on flicker there is some noise apparent and I think most of the shots could use some more sharpening around the head. I was also curious if most of those are full frame shots or did you crop them? If cropped, I'd loosen them up a bit to give the wings some space. If full frame, fuckin congrats and good job! Minor nitpicks aside, these are fantastic.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Taking photos of backlit ravens is hard...

PtReyesRavens 1467 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
All those exotic beautiful birds. Here, have some contrast.

Unknown Bird Gitmo by torgeaux, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Its a Northern Mockingbird. Very nice!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

torgeaux posted:

All those exotic beautiful birds. Here, have some contrast.

Unknown Bird Gitmo by torgeaux, on Flickr

Northern Mockingbirds are rare here in Washington and attract a lot of attention when they show up. Blue Jays even more so. The novelty wears off quick anytime I travel to where they're common though.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I managed to sneak up on some sleeping least sandpipers without startling them :3:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I decided to go for a drive last night and stumbled upon a massive flock of Greater White-fronted, Snow, and Canada geese. Near sunset they all took to the air, which was an experience you can't really capture in camera. Unfortunately the Snow Geese didn't come close, but I did get a nice flyover by the Greater White-Fronted.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I seem to be the only one posting lately, but that's never stopped me before. Some life birds from the weekend:

Snow Goose (not really a lifer, but this is the first time a snow goose has occupied more than a couple of pixels on my picture)

Gray Jay

Three-toed Woodpecker

Golden-crowned Kinglet (Female)

Golden-crowned Kinglet (Male)

American Pipet

I also found an old friend

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 30, 2013

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

InternetJunky posted:

I seem to be the only one posting lately, but that's never stopped me before. Some life birds from the weekend:

Gray Jay

600mm, seems like an awfully shy Gray Jay. I saw a one this weekend, but didn't get a good shot. In New Hampshire they seem to stake out the spots on hiking trails where people stop for breaks. As soon as we stopped for a break at a trail junction, one flew in and perched on a nearby branch. It got a few peanuts from me, since I'm a sucker for them. Here are a couple of shots from last winter.

Gray Jay [Perisoreus canadensis] by EPICAC, on Flickr

IMG_5100 by EPICAC, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

I seem to be the only one posting lately

It's finally not hot as a mummy's rear end so I'm hoping to start again this weekend. :ohdear:

Great shots.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

I seem to be the only one posting lately, but that's never stopped me before.

Keep postin'. Between going back to school, getting some jobs lined up and the weather turning to poo poo here, photography is out for me for the foreseeable future. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it in a few months. Your stuff is great. Your gray jay looks like it has a purple cast on my monitor though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Have a juvenile Snow Bunting, looking extremely grumpy (can't help it, just looks that way)

Weather Premonitions 9 by Execudork, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yellow billed cardinal:

Hawaii Underwater 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Unknown species.

DSCF2639.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.