Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kilazar posted:

I am thinking about picking this game up this weekend. What should I buy to maximize two player fun with $60 available? The starter set looks like it would be a little boring on it's lonesome.

A pair of starter sets would probably be the best bang for your buck if you're just starting out. You'll really want the second set of movement templates and dice, and if you end up not liking the game, flipping starter sets to recoup your investment would probably be less hassle than doing the same with expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

What? No. Get some variety of ships. A starter and three expansions would be much more fun for everyone involved. I recommend what pbpancho said - the core set and whatever expansions look fun to you.

There is literally no need to buy a second starter set. You can share templates. It's not a big deal at all. If you really want to, you can buy an extra dice set later.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Achmed Jones posted:

There is literally no need to buy a second starter set. You can share templates. It's not a big deal at all. If you really want to, you can buy an extra dice set later.

If you like X-Wings and regular TIEs its cheaper to buy a second starter than 3 expansion ships.

My personal buying progression was two starters, one Y-Wing and TIE Advanced, then one X-Wing and TIE (for the unique cards).

There are so many ways in the game to need to roll 4 of a particular colored die that extra dice are a godsend (yes I know you can just record one die face and reroll it, but that just feels inelegant). I'll freely admit that the second set of templates is a personal want rather than a necessity, but I find it makes things flow nicer if you just have a complete set on each side of the table rather than always having to swap back and forth.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

jivjov posted:

If you like X-Wings and regular TIEs its cheaper to buy a second starter than 3 expansion ships.

My personal buying progression was two starters, one Y-Wing and TIE Advanced, then one X-Wing and TIE (for the unique cards).

There are so many ways in the game to need to roll 4 of a particular colored die that extra dice are a godsend (yes I know you can just record one die face and reroll it, but that just feels inelegant). I'll freely admit that the second set of templates is a personal want rather than a necessity, but I find it makes things flow nicer if you just have a complete set on each side of the table rather than always having to swap back and forth.

I like the idea of not sharing markers and templates. Thanks for the info. Will probably do two starters and then an xwing and tie booster for the unique cards. Then just buy whatever I like.. Like billions of b-wings!!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

2 starters is a great choice. Being able to field at least 4 TIEs is great but 2 X-Wings is key. Being able to roll the correct number of dice and not having to share templates are icing on the cake.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

At least Arvel dont give no fucks

He certainly did not. But he focused on the shuttle. Which then vaporized him. Mauler Mithel wrecked Luke on the same turn. I was a happy Imperial after that.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Sadly you have to buy the X-wing pack if you want to fly Wedge Antilles. I was going to trade a spare Tie with a friend's X-wing until I noticed that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hell, until they reprint the wave, just get a print out. Can't help that they're just not available for purchase in most places.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Kilazar posted:

I like the idea of not sharing markers and templates. Thanks for the info. Will probably do two starters and then an xwing and tie booster for the unique cards. Then just buy whatever I like.. Like billions of b-wings!!

If you can find an X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE or TIE Advanced right now you are super lucky and should buy them immediately. Those are all Wave 1 ships which are out of stock in most places and will be for another couple weeks at least until they're reprinted.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
X-wings and TIE fighters are pretty easy to find in the UK, but the starter sets and Wave 2 stuff are hard to find. I'm waiting for a delivery of a starter set, A-Wing and TIE interceptor, apparently those are coming in this week.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I know of one place in the UK that has a handful of TIE Advanced left, as of last week at least. Finally got around to ordering one last night so waiting on that coming in. My LGS has some Y-wings left in stock too.

Hardest thing to find is A-wings and interceptors :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Excuse the double post but..

enri posted:

I know of one place in the UK that has a handful of TIE Advanced left, as of last week at least. Finally got around to ordering one last night so waiting on that coming in. My LGS has some Y-wings left in stock too.

Hardest thing to find is A-wings and interceptors :(

..just got an email to let me know the TIE Advanced is out of stock, but I could exchange my order and they've still got... A-wings! *exchanges*

Shows how much I know :v:

enri fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 20, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I ended up getting shorted an HWK in my wave 3 order, but out of the wave that's the ship I least mind missing out on. If not for my completionist mindset, I probably wouldn't have bought one at all.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I ended up getting shorted an HWK in my wave 3 order, but out of the wave that's the ship I least mind missing out on. If not for my completionist mindset, I probably wouldn't have bought one at all.

Gotta own a couple even if just for the blaster turret that can fit on the Y-Wing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I wish they would have left the HWK the same price but with two attack. Otherwise, I just can't justify it in a list.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I dunno why you wouldn't want to run Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors whenever possible maybe if you're some kind of jerk or somethin

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I dunno why you wouldn't want to run Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors whenever possible maybe if you're some kind of jerk or somethin

It's not my fault that Katarn is too cheap for better pew pew lasers. :colbert:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Because they're sooooo expensive (for what they bring) in a 100 pt list.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, the Lambda's full stop maneuver is a red? What the hell?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Madurai posted:

An incredibly good maneuver. Of course it is red.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Madurai posted:

So you cant just line up 3 of them with HLCs on the edge of the board and sit there all game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Madurai posted:

Well it makes sense from a combat perspective. Going from whatever cruising speed you were at to a dead stop is a pretty jarring maneuver. It just doesn't flow like that with discrete turns and rounds of a tabletop game.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of the shuttle. What are some ways you guys have tried it?

So far I've only used Captain Yorr with Fire-Control System, but he wasn't too bad. Took the shields off a couple ships.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

All I can really figure out about the shuttles right now is that they effectively cost 4 points more than the listed cost because they'll never turn around or stay close enough for Yorr/Jendon to use their abilities without an engine upgrade.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

All I can really figure out about the shuttles right now is that they effectively cost 4 points more than the listed cost because they'll never turn around or stay close enough for Yorr/Jendon to use their abilities without an engine upgrade.

Then I'm not completely crazy for considering that.
Yorr stayed decently close the whole game between 1's and the 0. He just got injured pilot and stunned pilot before I could use him :/

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Has anyone made a spreadsheet/calculator of sorts where you can put your collection of ships in and it'll tot up what upgrade cards you have and the quantities?

Might have a Saturday evening project to work on if not.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Some day the collection feature on voidstate's squad builder will save your collection instead of his and effectively do that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

enri posted:

Has anyone made a spreadsheet/calculator of sorts where you can put your collection of ships in and it'll tot up what upgrade cards you have and the quantities?

Might have a Saturday evening project to work on if not.

I think someone on the FFG forums made one but I can't find a link at the moment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just played a round with my new B-Wing and man that ship is a beast. Torpedoes and lots of shields are a fun combo since I can tank a hit or two to establish target lock and dump torpedoes. Seems like it'll be a good counter against shuttles and firesprays.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Poopy Palpy posted:

Some day the collection feature on voidstate's squad builder will save your collection instead of his and effectively do that.

Epi Lepi posted:

I think someone on the FFG forums made one but I can't find a link at the moment.

Ah excellent, just found a spreadsheet version, that'll do the trick :)

Ta

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

jivjov posted:

Just played a round with my new B-Wing and man that ship is a beast. Torpedoes and lots of shields are a fun combo since I can tank a hit or two to establish target lock and dump torpedoes. Seems like it'll be a good counter against shuttles and firesprays.

If it could take R2-D2 it might actually break the game. I can't wait to order mine.

Wookiee Of Doom
Jul 16, 2006

jivjov posted:

Yep, B-Wings are pretty awesome. Played in a tournament today Where I ran Wedge, Biggs and Ten Numb that wrecked. The auto blaster on Ten Numb is just ridiculous. I ran against 2 TIE swarms and once I got Ten Numb into position, I was destroying a ship a turn. Most of my opponents were actually pretty shocked at how good it was. I really want to use the the HWK-290, but can't really think of an effective build. Kyle Katarn giving out focus tokens like it was halloween candy seems pretty good...

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

alg posted:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4357

:/

repainted Interceptors with new pilots and upgrades :/

Can someone provide a bit more detail on this? I can't hit FFG due to firewall at work. I'm guessing from the banter following it there is a new core set of some kind coming out with tie fighters?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Not a "core" set per se, as I don't think it has any of the core components like dice, etc.; just a 2x ship expansion. It has 2 Interceptors with custom paint jobs, one normal grey with a red racing stripe along the sides, and one that is entirely crimson like the Emporer's Royal Guards of RotJ. Then of course new pilot cards, upgrades, etc.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Kilazar posted:

Can someone provide a bit more detail on this? I can't hit FFG due to firewall at work. I'm guessing from the banter following it there is a new core set of some kind coming out with tie fighters?

Here ya go..

quote:

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the Imperial Aces Expansion Pack for X-Wing™!

Imperial Aces features two TIE interceptor miniatures with alternate paint schemes, several highly skilled new pilots, a dozen upgrade cards, and all the tokens and maneuver dials you need to field these ships. It also includes a new mission that allows the Empire to utilize new, experimental technology in a high-intensity clash with Rebel pilots.

It's basically two custom painted interceptors in a box with some custom cards. No extra / new core set, just two ships in one box.

and here's a pic for you :v:

edit: for what it's worth, if I pick this up, I'll be looking to swap the painted interceptors with someone who wants to swap plain interceptors :v:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

enri posted:

Here ya go..

It's basically two custom painted interceptors in a box with some custom cards. No extra / new core set, just two ships in one box.

and here's a pic for you :v:

edit: for what it's worth, if I pick this up, I'll be looking to swap the painted interceptors with someone who wants to swap plain interceptors :v:

Oh I want that!

Got my two starters in today. Borrowed an X-Wing from my friend and played my first game! I fielded 3 X-wings, Red, Luke, Bigs. Surprisingly, Red Squadron pilot was my MVP. He took down Slave1 and a Tie, while Bigs bit it in round 3 after doing fuckall, and the rest of the ties killed themselves on asteroids.

I am hooked.

*edit* So quick "sequence" question. Say luke has one hull left, no shields, R2D2 equiped, and executes a green move into an asteroid. When does the R2 shield occur? Before the damage roll or after the damage roll? We 50/50'ed it and the coin ended up with the shield applying before rolling the damage die. Which was good cause it caused a crit that was then eaten by the shield.

But for future reference, how should that have played out?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 24, 2013

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kilazar posted:

*edit* So quick "sequence" question. Say luke has one hull left, no shields, R2D2 equiped, and executes a green move into an asteroid. When does the R2 shield occur? Before the damage roll or after the damage roll? We 50/50'ed it and the coin ended up with the shield applying before rolling the damage die. Which was good cause it caused a crit that was then eaten by the shield.

But for future reference, how should that have played out?

If its an asteroid, yes you get the shield first then roll for damage.

If its a proximity mine you take the damage from the mine/bomb first then get the shield.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
I've got two core sets coming, this game looks really fun. Any opinions on the iOS dice app? Just wondering if it's worth it or if the real dice is better. Thanks!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I like the dice a lot better. I've played opponents who used the app on their phones and it was a hassle bending over the table to read the screen every time. The FFG dice are really easy to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I have the dice app, but I have a second starter set on the way and even though I paid a little bit of money for the app I'll probably use the app 99% of the time - I'm just an old-school gamer. But if you have only one starter set and need the extra dice to roll all at once the app is useful. Plus, you get sounds! Unfortunately no sound board for TIE fighters, though (unless I'm missing something).

• Locked thread