Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Cleretic posted:

It's a pretty badass mission, but I think it could benefit from a bigger payout in exchange for a longer cooldown. One token for what the mission is is pretty low, and a half-hour cooldown to make up for it's a bit weird.

I'm assuming it'll ramp up as things progress, since we're only at 2 out of 8 lore.

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, screenshots for this event are what brought me back to the game. As someone interested in the story of TSW having the filth invade Agartha is super cool.

Definitely. If you haven't played the 1.5/1.6/1.7 mission chains, I recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

I'm assuming it'll ramp up as things progress, since we're only at 2 out of 8 lore.

Definitely. If you haven't played the 1.5/1.6/1.7 mission chains, I recommend them.

Two lore? I only have one. Please tell me I didn't miss a piece forever.

Edit: Sweet the first isn't gone and I just didn't see it because gently caress looking up.

Len fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 24, 2013

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Cheston posted:

Unfortunately I'm kinda miffed that as a lifetime subscriber I didn't get access to them for free, so I dunno if I will. :(

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Are you all in Mumble chain-running this every half hour like the horrendous addicts you all are?

Shall I join you?

Edit:

I was loving around in the wheel doing builds, and I kinda accidentally made this and it ended up being quite good. However, I need some advice on where I can improve it.

Behold, the most Metal of builds:

BLOODBLADE

Rotation is as follows:

OPEN – 1xGC to apply afflict, Destiny, 1pt Bloodshot (to trigger Blood Offering)

MID - 2xGC, Destiny, 2pt Bloodshot

When Blood Offering expires, repeat opener.

The theory behind it is that you're exploiting the bonus afflict damage on Destiny combined with the low-cost, high-damage blood instant to quickly flick through gobs of damage in small chunks.

The only major issue I can see is buffs, in that you can really only take Do Or Die and Steel Echo, with the other two slots being an impair and AOE, or 2 impairs for single target.

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 24, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Brackhar posted:

Unfortunately I'm kinda miffed that as a lifetime subscriber I didn't get access to them for free, so I dunno if I will. :(

I feel the same way, but you already have the bonus points from being a lifetimer, so it doesn't cost you anything to get them in the store.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Further notes:

Crack! with JITFL gives just enough turnaround that if you place it after the 2 builder round you can do one on one off of the opener and the mid.

Swapping EF for Closer is a net DPS loss as lots of small consumers at +7.5% DPS outnumbers guaranteeing a crit on your Bloodshot every second rotation.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Brackhar posted:

If you don't spend your monthly free points on Barbie dressup you do.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Brackhar posted:

...didn't we? For me, it's been functionally identical to having a subscription, with an option on the account page to automatically 'buy' DLC when it comes out, and the guarantee that it will never (for Grandmasters) cost more than the amount of points you get a month.

The experience is kinda lackluster compared to some other games, but I'd put that down more to a rushed transition between models (and the missing design/technology that results) than any malevolence. The DLC is definitely worth getting, if only because your points expire after six months.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 24, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

...didn't we? For me, it's been functionally identical to having a subscription, with an option on the account page to automatically 'buy' DLC when it comes out, and the guarantee that it will never (for Grandmasters) cost more than the amount of points you get a month.

The experience is kinda lackluster compared to some other games, but I'd put that down more to a rushed transition between models (and the missing design/technology that results) than any malevolence. The DLC is definitely worth getting, if only because your points expire after six months.

They're still mum on how the scenario prices are going to work for us grandmasters. I just want to know if I'll be able to go into debt for those like I can issues or if I have to horde points to grab those. Joel isn't responding to my message about it so I'm assuming that marketing talk still hasn't happened.

Unrelated: has anyone noticed tanks taking more damage lately than normal? The stats that have been keeping me alive and near unharmed for half a year suddenly aren't good enough and I've been getting hit way harder than normal. I know Zepho had the same problem the other day but I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing that as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I talked about this with Plat last night, but yeah, I've noticed people are harder to heal lately.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I'm away from my install, so I can't check. But is anyone parsing to see if there is a change in pen/crit rates or damage related to that? Did they put the phys/magi protect bug back in, but is now treating the base 249 protection as -249? Maybe hosed up and debilitate isn't doing anything?

Wait... I just came up with about half a dozen possibilities off of the top of my head. What does that say about the state of Funcom and bugs/balance?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Or the loving moon could be rising in Virgo.

How about you doofuses post some parses instead of anecdata.

Like I tell you every time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

Or the loving moon could be rising in Virgo.

How about you doofuses post some parses instead of anecdata.

Like I tell you every time.

Because I could run parses but I don't have any baseline for what things were like before recently. I know Rhan parses a lot but I don't know if he looks at anything other than DPS or keeps his old parses around.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

They're still mum on how the scenario prices are going to work for us grandmasters. I just want to know if I'll be able to go into debt for those like I can issues or if I have to horde points to grab those. Joel isn't responding to my message about it so I'm assuming that marketing talk still hasn't happened.

Y'know, I double-checked, and they left the language vague enough that they could have something cost more than a month's points, since stuff only comes out every few months, but they already have the tech for subtracting from future amounts (and they got a lot of shouting from Grandmasters), so I don't think it'd be a problem.

When 1.8 launches, at least, there's supposed to be a certain number of free scenarios, and a pack of the rest of them for roughly the same price as a mission pack. Dunno if they're going to keep releasing scenarios individually or in packs after that, but it should all count as "DLC."

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I just finished my first nightmare dungeon! And it went very well. We managed to kill every boss in Polaris without too many wipes which was a surprise to everyone in the group. I just asked LFG for people to start a beginner nightmare run and a bunch of people joined in. The tank and I were in full blues while others had some purple.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Regarding crafting- can you only use dust, water or fire components to make talismans or can you add glyph runes too?

The reasons I ask is that often when you disassemble talismans rune components are there too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kumo posted:

Regarding crafting- can you only use dust, water or fire components to make talismans or can you add glyph runes too?

The reasons I ask is that often when you disassemble talismans rune components are there too.

Those components make glyphs, which use separate Glyph Toolkits. You can then jam those glyphs into your crafted talismans.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

guppy posted:

I talked about this with Plat last night, but yeah, I've noticed people are harder to heal lately.
Something happened earlier that knocked a bunch of offensive stats down in effectiveness in the same completely-unmentioned way. They probably changed the scaling of rating stats and left it out of the patch notes because mentioning under-the-hood mechanics is not the Funcom way.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Data mining, and by extension, extrapolating information from data the game openly gives to you, is against the TOS.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Cheston posted:

Ah, I didn't know that's how bonus points worked. Cool!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today, Cheston's and Platbeard's flamethrowers showed up separately in a parse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

guppy posted:

Today, Cheston's and Platbeard's flamethrowers showed up separately in a parse.

That's normal. It splits names based on the last apostrophe. So Cheston's "Dragon's Breath" becomes Cheston's Dragon's "Breath". It's how ACT works.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That... makes so much sense.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Who actually updated ACT for this game to begin with?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cheston posted:

Who actually updated ACT for this game to begin with?

The Pyramidion

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I would really like a pet dragon in game though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zephonith posted:

I would really like a pet dragon in game though.

I'm sure the roleplay scene can provide in that department.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I'm sure the roleplay scene can provide in that department.

No one sane would deal with that crowd. They're worse than pvpers in every interaction I've had with them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Len posted:

No one sane would deal with that crowd. They're worse than pvpers in every interaction I've had with them.

Whoops I rolled on Arcadia.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Hey, there's a giveaway on Curse right now, gets you a key for a hoodie if you click the button.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Len posted:

Most RP that goes on on TSW is actually pretty high-quality, especially compared to other RP scenes.

That said, there are two big problems:
Primarily, elitism. All this RP is generally pretty good, but good luck getting into it without knowing people. I lucked out by going pretty well in essentially gatecrashing RP events, but if you can't manage busting the proverbial door down and going 'I'M A COMPUTER HACKER WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED RIGHT NOW', you're gonna have problems.

And while the game's setting is really good for RP, the way things are presented generally... isn't. Everything is defined so nebulously in writing, but this includes things that really shouldn't be just left ambiguous. Factional disputes get the brunt of it; you have to do so much digging just to get things nice and straight about the Illuminati, but the truth of those things are really quite plain and understandable, and really shouldn't have that high a barrier for entry. Similarly, the Templars are so often painted as the super-heroic Good Guys in RP, despite it being a very thin veneer in lore. That's because however thin that excuse might be, you still need to exert some specific effort to realize 'oh, hey, these guys are full of poo poo', which most people just don't.

EDIT: Another thing kinda hosed over by lore nebulosity is the specific nature of bee-regeneration. Okay, everyone's pretty much unkillable, we get that, but the nature of that just wasn't made clear unless you read Lilith's words very carefully in the Transylvanian DLC (specifically, amputations will stick unless you fully die; as long as you're in one piece, you'll heal up).

OTHER EDIT: Oh yeah, and a bunch of people are really stubborn and don't get when they're wrong, but you can't really blame that on the RPers, everyone's like that.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cleretic posted:

Most RP that goes on on TSW is actually pretty high-quality, especially compared to other RP scenes.

That said, there are two big problems:
Primarily, elitism. All this RP is generally pretty good, but good luck getting into it without knowing people. I lucked out by going pretty well in essentially gatecrashing RP events, but if you can't manage busting the proverbial door down and going 'I'M A COMPUTER HACKER WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED RIGHT NOW', you're gonna have problems.

And while the game's setting is really good for RP, the way things are presented generally... isn't. Everything is defined so nebulously in writing, but this includes things that really shouldn't be just left ambiguous. Factional disputes get the brunt of it; you have to do so much digging just to get things nice and straight about the Illuminati, but the truth of those things are really quite plain and understandable, and really shouldn't have that high a barrier for entry. Similarly, the Templars are so often painted as the super-heroic Good Guys in RP, despite it being a very thin veneer in lore. That's because however thin that excuse might be, you still need to exert some specific effort to realize 'oh, hey, these guys are full of poo poo', which most people just don't.

EDIT: Another thing kinda hosed over by lore nebulosity is the specific nature of bee-regeneration. Okay, everyone's pretty much unkillable, we get that, but the nature of that just wasn't made clear unless you read Lilith's words very carefully in the Transylvanian DLC (specifically, amputations will stick unless you fully die; as long as you're in one piece, you'll heal up).

OTHER EDIT: Oh yeah, and a bunch of people are really stubborn and don't get when they're wrong, but you can't really blame that on the RPers, everyone's like that.

I don't know how anyone can have the reading comprehension to roleplay, and yet fail to grasp this.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What happens if you lose an arm, and then die? Do you get the arm back when you come back?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yes.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I just had a run of Enter the Filth where all three blocked entrances stayed blocked after the encounter. The first one has a spot to the right that you can weasel through, the second unblocked after ten or fifteen seconds, and the third never opened up and I had to run back to the Agartha portal :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

I just had a run of Enter the Filth where all three blocked entrances stayed blocked after the encounter. The first one has a spot to the right that you can weasel through, the second unblocked after ten or fifteen seconds, and the third never opened up and I had to run back to the Agartha portal :(

Hey Cheston I might be able to make it to the raid. I'll let you know from steam for sure one the driver knows what's up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't know how anyone can have the reading comprehension to roleplay, and yet fail to grasp this.

It might also be willing denial, or internal compromise ('well okay the Templars aren't perfect, but they're clearly the best of a bad lot' (they aren't)), but a lot of people seem genuinely unaware that the Templars are dishonest as all hell. Probably because they 'look' like the most honest, and that it's the Illuminati that lie with every breath they make; the fact the opposite is true just never occurs to them, because it seems so outside of their preconceptions.

There's one thing everyone can agree on, though: We have no goddamn clue what to make of the Dragon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It might also be willing denial, or internal compromise ('well okay the Templars aren't perfect, but they're clearly the best of a bad lot' (they aren't)), but a lot of people seem genuinely unaware that the Templars are dishonest as all hell. Probably because they 'look' like the most honest, and that it's the Illuminati that lie with every breath they make; the fact the opposite is true just never occurs to them, because it seems so outside of their preconceptions.

There's one thing everyone can agree on, though: We have no goddamn clue what to make of the Dragon.

I love the Dragon but they are really kind of antithetical to roleplaying. The amount of stuff they should know is impractical to roleplay as a PC, and is really best left to the realm of GM fiat.

Edit: It's like trying to roleplay a Sidereal Exalt in Exalted. Some things are better just left as an NPC.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 26, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I love the Dragon but they are really kind of antithetical to roleplaying. The amount of stuff they should know is impractical to roleplay as a PC, and is really best left to the realm of GM fiat.

Edit: It's like trying to roleplay a Sidereal Exalt in Exalted. Some things are better just left as an NPC.

Dragon agents don't know anything. It's seriously canon that the handler who was sending us the good poo poo got 'disconnected,' and every mission report since has been just been space-filling "chaos, bro."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Saw that this is on Steam Sale and is now F2P after you buy... does the microtransaction and cash store stuff end up being required to play, or can you just straight up ignore it forever and not miss out on huge portions of endgame content?

• Locked thread