Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

rkajdi posted:

Worst part is that people don't give a poo poo on this once they correct you, or they go from gyp to jew, as if that's an improvement.
"Gyp" a lot of people are ignorant about and shouldn't be. "Jew" as a verb is both racist and to me bizarrely old-timey. If someone uses "jew" as a verb I'll want to ask them something like, what brand of cigarettes their doctor recommends, or if they support the policies of the Hoover administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guilty Spork posted:

"Gyp" a lot of people are ignorant about and shouldn't be. "Jew" as a verb is both racist and to me bizarrely old-timey. If someone uses "jew" as a verb I'll want to ask them something like, what brand of cigarettes their doctor recommends, or if they support the policies of the Hoover administration.

It's shockingly common out here in the sticks-- I've been called it on numerous occasions by ex-acquaintances, and am not even close to being actually Jewish.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

One of my co-teachers was called a Jewish hoe bag by a junior high boy. When she told me this, my first response was "you don't look Jewish."

Here in rural America, "Jew" or variations of it are definitely used often.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Meanwhile, now that the 2012 elections are safely past and the midterms of 2004 are still relatively far away, we have a random act of journalism here from Bloomberg. They have an article here. Headline of the article: "Women Waiting Tables Provide Most of Female Gains in US." Women waiting tables. The money that women waiting tables earn makes up most of the income gain women in America are experiencing. However you want to call these jobs. Waitresses.

Women waitresses are earning more, a larger share of all income earned by women. What Bloomberg has done here, is they've committed a random act of journalism by going behind the misleading jobs numbers to point this out. Even though the jobless rate for women seems to be improving -- seems to be -- most of the new jobs that women are getting are "lower-paying industries such as waitresses, in-home health care, food preparation and housekeeping.

"About 60% of the increase in employment for women from 2009 to 2012 was in jobs that pay less than $10.10 an hour," and this is the feminist administration. This, again, is the Democrat Party looking out for all of these disparate interest groups that make up the coalition. This is the Democrat Party, which is gonna protect women from predatory males. This is a Democrat Party that's gonna guarantee abortion for whoever wants it. This is the Democrat Party that's gonna make sure that women get all the birth control pills they want paid for by other people, including the Catholic Church.

This is the Democrat Party that's going out of its way to make women believe that it is their greatest champion -- and, yet, two blocks from the White House, Honard often waits on lawmakers and government officials, giving her a glimpse of people she would like to work with someday. This summer she served a member of President Barack Obama’s Cabinet, to whom she recommended a glass of New Zealand sauvignon blanc."

This is from the story! A George Washington U grad, big deal to have waited on a member of Obama's cabinet. But she's got every reproductive device and whatever she needs.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/09/19/was_it_worth_it_ladies
Wow this is a pretty sparse transcript, he probably devoted at least 15-20 minutes to this topic. I wonder why he didn't put everything that he said up there for everyone to see?

Zwabu posted:

as if GOP policies wouldn't be wanking off the Glorious Job Creators a million times more.
That's really the most vexing thing isn't it? If this is going to be a new Republican talking point they're going to be in reality denial mode even more so than they are now if anyone bothers to bring up the Reagan or Bush the Lesser's administrations. Ha! Who am I kidding, they'll just fall back on "Well, the positive effects of Republican economic policy weren't felt until a Democrat was put in charge. Except for OBAMA! He is the most liberal President ever and wasted no time dismantling Americaaaaaaaklhfoiwhfowfho :unsmigghh:"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Like most goons, I get my news from the gif thread or the meme thread

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Planet good for another 1.75 billion years, scientists say

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/19/how-much-longer-can-earth-support-life/?intcmp=trending

Where are your precious scientists now?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I like that this http://www.livescience.com/17875-destroy-earth-doomsday.html is linked there, because it sort of parses as instructional.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Miltank posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/19/how-much-longer-can-earth-support-life/?intcmp=trending

If only considering natural events, from what i've learned it's more like, in the worst case, half a billion years left, and best case around 1 billion years left.

What happened to the predicted scenario of all plants going extinct within a billion years due to the disruption of the silicate-carbonate cycle?

JDee
Nov 27, 2006
goon

Guilty Spork posted:

Wow! I never knew where "Gyp" came from until reading this thread. And I always thought of it as "jipped". Sorry for my ignorance.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

More about [allegedly] left-wing media shifting the Overton window than right-wing media, but apparently Chuck Todd said that it's not the media's job to say that the GOP is full of poo poo on Obamacare because they have 'out-messaged' Obama on it:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/did-chuck-todd-really-say-media-not-responsible-to-correct-obamacare-falsehoods/

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

More about [allegedly] left-wing media shifting the Overton window than right-wing media, but apparently Chuck Todd said that it's not the media's job to say that the GOP is full of poo poo on Obamacare because they have 'out-messaged' Obama on it:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/did-chuck-todd-really-say-media-not-responsible-to-correct-obamacare-falsehoods/

Ah, so even the media is starting to deflect the blame for doing their part of spreading misinformation (continually giving GOP guests an unchallenged platform daily) onto Obama. If only the White House spend all of its time explaining and defending the law 24/7.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

The Angry Bum posted:

Ah, so even the media is starting to deflect the blame for doing their part of spreading misinformation (continually giving GOP guests an unchallenged platform daily) onto Obama. If only the White House spend all of its time explaining and defending the law 24/7.

"Why is Obama giving so many speeches, doesn't he have a job to do?" :smug:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Except, according to that article, Chuck Todd didn't really say that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I heard him say something with context that was basically exactly that just a few days ago on my morning drive.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Miltank posted:

But I thought Jesus was coming soon.....

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Almost no one in the US understands that that's a racial slur. Obama could use "gyp" during a prime time national address and 98% of the country wouldn't bat an eye.

The 2% left over represents the portion of Americans who know that Romani actually exist and weren't made up in fairy tales.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

happyhippy posted:

But I thought Jesus was coming soon.....

It says life will survive. Nothing about human life. Not sure what that article is trying to prove or show except that marine life and insects are likely to outlive humans.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

PeterWeller posted:

Except, according to that article, Chuck Todd didn't really say that.
I dunno, after reading the entire article all I see is a lot of hair-splitting. The most charitable interpretation of Todd's remarks is that he doesn't believe that the media should be blamed for failures in Democratic messaging.

Frankly, I think that claim is bullshit. "Messaging" does not occur in a vacuum. There's no way to separate "messaging" from "the media"; the two are inextricably linked. If you, as a media organization, give "equal time" to the Truth and to the Lie, you bear some responsibility when the Lie overtakes the Truth. You are actively subverting the messaging of the Truth.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 20, 2013

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Tibeerius posted:

I dunno, after reading the entire article all I see is a lot of hair-splitting. The most charitable interpretation of Todd's remarks is that he doesn't believe that the media should be blamed for failures in Democratic messaging.

Frankly, I think that claim is bullshit. "Messaging" does not occur in a vacuum. There's no way to separate "messaging" from "the media"; the two are inextricably linked. If you, as a media organization, give "equal time" to the Truth and to the Lie, you bear some responsibility when the Lie overtakes the Truth. You are actively subverting the messaging of the Truth.

Splitting hairs goes both ways. Both the media and the Democrats failed. Calling out one doesn't mean you're forgiving the other. And to be fair, the ultimate responsibility to sell Democratic policies to the American people does lie with the Democratic Party, who did blow the messaging war. Also, the media isn't some monolithic organization with a focused agenda. The Democratic Party arguably is. :v:

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Has anyone ever figured out how Michael Savage does his while show with his own cock in his mouth? It's quite impressive really. He can't do a show without stating how he's the best in the world at X, Y, and Z.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Has anyone ever figured out how Michael Savage does his while show with his own cock in his mouth? It's quite impressive really. He can't do a show without stating how he's the best in the world at X, Y, and Z.

It's a very small cock. :v:

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Cocaine.

I think it's funny he lives in San Francisco of all places.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Cocaine.

This explains all his random snorting.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Cocaine.

He actually lives in Marin County, which is close enough. With his notoriety I don't think Savage has the balls to actually walk the streets of San Francisco.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Splitting hairs goes both ways. Both the media and the Democrats failed. Calling out one doesn't mean you're forgiving the other. And to be fair, the ultimate responsibility to sell Democratic policies to the American people does lie with the Democratic Party, who did blow the messaging war. Also, the media isn't some monolithic organization with a focused agenda. The Democratic Party arguably is. :v:

I don't have it handy but a few years ago when Obamacare appeals were working their way up through the courts, Media Matters did an analysis of the prominence and length of pro-Obamacare vs anti-Obamacare rulings. The anti-Obamacare rulings were consistently given more air time on TV and longer and more prominent articles in major newspapers. Then of course there were the general right-wing media messages in favor of the Iraq war and post-2008 austerity. The Democrats certainly deserve blame for not having as good a messaging machine as the GOP but it's hard to argue that the media has been equally receptive to their messages.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

He actually lives in Marin County, which is close enough. With his notoriety I don't think Savage has the balls to actually walk the streets of San Francisco.

He says he does. Gets all "green hornet" and he and his dog go out. Considering how much he has in common with my dad I find this scenario 100% believable. Right down to taking the (half) poodle over to the Chinese restaurant and then coming home and complaining about how horrible the restaurant is.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I don't have it handy but a few years ago when Obamacare appeals were working their way up through the courts, Media Matters did an analysis of the prominence and length of pro-Obamacare vs anti-Obamacare rulings. The anti-Obamacare rulings were consistently given more air time on TV and longer and more prominent articles in major newspapers. Then of course there were the general right-wing media messages in favor of the Iraq war and post-2008 austerity. The Democrats certainly deserve blame for not having as good a messaging machine as the GOP but it's hard to argue that the media has been equally receptive to their messages.

And you have to remember, the media is not a "thing" - it's made up of individual people, and those who are considered the most prominent mainstream members (David Gregory, Bob Schieffer, Mark Halperin, Joe Scarborough, etc) are all without exception the most insufferable "centrist" beltway types. And let's not omit the guest frequency analyses which show that the vast majority of pundits and politicians on Sunday shows are conservative. There is an undeniable imbalance which favors the conservative worldview in today's media. It's inarguable and blatantly obvious to anyone who pays attention to it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My only personal experience listening to Michael Savage was when I was stuck in traffic on the Howard Frankland bridge spanning Tampa Bay one rush hour several years ago. I decided to scan the AM dial and see what would amuse me. I happened upon this guy who I thought was doing was some sort of satirical, over the top self-loathing-homosexual bit ranting about Nancy Pelosi. Then it just kept going on, and on, and on, and finally there was a station ID that said it was the Michael Savage show.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think someone in this thread predicted that the GOP would be saying "Obama/Reid/the Democrats are the ones shutting the government down. They were right. So far in the last few days, I've heard Palin, Herman Cain, Ted Cruz and I forget who else say exactly this.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
I heard Mark Steyn say he was Canadian this morning, and I was embarrassed for my country. I was assuming he was British.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Today will probably be a good day to tune into Levin's show. McConnell just ruined Cruz's plan to hold up the CR in the senate.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Today will probably be a good day to tune into Levin's show. McConnell just ruined Cruz's plan to hold up the CR in the senate.

Got a link? I gotta read about this. :munch:

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

From the GOP thread:

evilweasel posted:

Senator McConnell emerges from his shell, bites Cruz: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/mcconnell-shoots-down-ted-cruz-s-plan-to-risk-shutdown-over-obamacare

This makes it a certainty the filibuster fails, Obamacare funding is added back in, and it goes back to the House.

It also makes it a certainty there's some interesting fireworks coming up in the conservative blogosphere.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Did the Forbes piece on the "huge cost to a family of four" get posted yet? Drudge was showing it off the other day and Wonkette found how he came up with the figure.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...family-of-four/

http://wonkette.com/529563

quote:

So I have taken the latest year-by-year projections [of additional health spending attributable to the Affordable Care Act], divided by the projected U.S. population to determine the added amount per person and multiplied the result by 4.

Maybe I'm just confused, I'm not a Forbes contributor, but that doesn't seem like how one would go about finding projected costs to a family for the ACA.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think my favorite thing is the guy standing there with a sign saying "OBAMACARE DECLARES WAR ON RELIGION."

I can't believe how many people I've met that are opposed to Obamacare ONLY because it might pay for an abortion for somebody, somewhere, kind of, sort of, maybe. I mean, doesn't it have a clause where, if your religion is against medical care, you're completely exempt from like everything? That isn't exactly "declaring war" on religion. Religions generally also have a pretty massive tendency to say things like "give things to the poor and help people less fortunate than you." Jesus especially. Holy poo poo was that guy an advocate for the poor.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think my favorite thing is the guy standing there with a sign saying "OBAMACARE DECLARES WAR ON RELIGION."

I can't believe how many people I've met that are opposed to Obamacare ONLY because it might pay for an abortion for somebody, somewhere, kind of, sort of, maybe. I mean, doesn't it have a clause where, if your religion is against medical care, you're completely exempt from like everything? That isn't exactly "declaring war" on religion. Religions generally also have a pretty massive tendency to say things like "give things to the poor and help people less fortunate than you." Jesus especially. Holy poo poo was that guy an advocate for the poor.

Yeah, certain people literally think "Freedom of religion" means "Everyone has to follow my religion". Everything that happens that doesn't further solidify the United States as a zealous branch of the Catholic Church is perceived as infringing on Christian rights. I was nearly thrown out of my mother's house on Easter for saying I didn't think it was a "slap in the face" that Google didn't put a picture of Jesus Christ on their homepage (look up this "controversy" if you missed it, it's pretty amazing).

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Sir Tonk posted:

Did the Forbes piece on the "huge cost to a family of four" get posted yet? Drudge was showing it off the other day and Wonkette found how he came up with the figure.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...family-of-four/

http://wonkette.com/529563

Maybe I'm just confused, I'm not a Forbes contributor, but that doesn't seem like how one would go about finding projected costs to a family for the ACA.

You know how that blog says it's "edited" by a dude named Avik Roy?

He was Mitt Romney's healthcare advisor for his 2012 run.

All the pieces fall into place.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, certain people literally think "Freedom of religion" means "Everyone has to follow my religion". Everything that happens that doesn't further solidify the United States as a zealous branch of the Catholic Church is perceived as infringing on Christian rights. I was nearly thrown out of my mother's house on Easter for saying I didn't think it was a "slap in the face" that Google didn't put a picture of Jesus Christ on their homepage (look up this "controversy" if you missed it, it's pretty amazing).

Oh trust me, I've run into things like that before. I've had so many encounters with people that have looked at me like I was an alien when I've said that I don't celebrate the standard Christian holidays. The idea that some Americans are not Christian is a totally alien concept to some people.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Boohoo about easter, wait until you're the rear end in a top hat for wanting to leave over the rights of different sorts of people living in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not sure where to ask this, but considering the inaction in the wake of Sandy Hook, will we only get gun reform if someone kills Wayne LaPierre and/or his wife/daughter at an NRA meeting?