Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Xguard86 posted:

Interesting stuff. Obviously I'd rather not take a probable pay/lifestyle cut to start at the bottom of a sales position so parlaying sounds like the way to go. I'm just trying to figure out a way to take my kind of technical base to move into a more communication soft skill oriented field. To be honest, those problems yall name sound like something I can handle more easily than: "we have 27 unique fields for 12,000 entries and need to gather and sort all of them here is your excel sheet and headphones".

It certainly does sound intimidating though trying to keep a constant sales pipeline running.

I've floated this question previously and heard Product Owner/Product Manager would be a good fit but after looking for those positions, they seem to require a good deal more experience than I have, or a right time/place situation. I guess its normal to be frustrated in your twenties.
I'm not nor have never been a Product Manager, but from everything I've seen it is a very technical and challenging job. Very much bridging the engineeringly-feasible with the field feedback and forward-looking research.

The running joke in technical-to-sales transitions is that we get the "lobotomy" to go into sales. Not exactly true. You might not have to learn the millions of CLI commands and arcane tech jargon, but I have a business degree and you definitely apply more business knowledge in sales than you ever will in engineering. I prefer it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Interesting stuff. Obviously I'd rather not take a probable pay/lifestyle cut to start at the bottom of a sales position so parlaying sounds like the way to go. I'm just trying to figure out a way to take my kind of technical base to move into a more communication soft skill oriented field. To be honest, those problems yall name sound like something I can handle more easily than: "we have 27 unique fields for 12,000 entries and need to gather and sort all of them here is your excel sheet and headphones".

It certainly does sound intimidating though trying to keep a constant sales pipeline running.

I've floated this question previously and heard Product Owner/Product Manager would be a good fit but after looking for those positions, they seem to require a good deal more experience than I have, or a right time/place situation. I guess its normal to be frustrated in your twenties.

Either share here or send me a PM with some information about the industry and solutions you work in and around. I went from system analyst to consultant to architect to presales to leadership. The specific company I work for really isn't set up for presales engineers to become sales people, but many others (see ProFootballGuy) may make it easy to make that move.

There are probably ways to parlay from where you are now to where you want to go without starting over. We in this thread just can't give you advice without knowing if you are in like large medical technology hardware or big data search optimization or help desk or what.

As for pipeline, sales people live and die by pipeline. It is also why many people who move from presales into sales do great for two or four quarters and then have the bottom fall out (they inherit a territory with pipeline and opportunity and never figure out that building more pipe is the key to long term success; they close all the deals there are to close when they walk in the door then they starve). I know that I am not the kind of person who can build pipeline every day, but I sure as heck figured out to help make that kind of person outrageously successful.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Ultimate Mango posted:

Either share here or send me a PM with some information about the industry and solutions you work in and around. I went from system analyst to consultant to architect to presales to leadership. The specific company I work for really isn't set up for presales engineers to become sales people, but many others (see ProFootballGuy) may make it easy to make that move.

There are probably ways to parlay from where you are now to where you want to go without starting over. We in this thread just can't give you advice without knowing if you are in like large medical technology hardware or big data search optimization or help desk or what.

As for pipeline, sales people live and die by pipeline. It is also why many people who move from presales into sales do great for two or four quarters and then have the bottom fall out (they inherit a territory with pipeline and opportunity and never figure out that building more pipe is the key to long term success; they close all the deals there are to close when they walk in the door then they starve). I know that I am not the kind of person who can build pipeline every day, but I sure as heck figured out to help make that kind of person outrageously successful.
Yeah, the transition definitely depends on your industry and company.

However I do have to disagree with you on one front: if the sales position has pipeline and easily-closeable deals the previous guy wouldn't have left (barring promotion/death). Mine and other recently-filled sales positions have had the previous guy close all the big deals then left once he sucked all the money out of the territory. Or he was so bad he got fired for having horrible sales and pipeline.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I just got my first job/internship as a market research analyst. They were impressed with my resume, but all of my experience comes from Stata and a lot of what they want me to do involves Excel. What's the easiest way to keep my head above water? The job mainly focuses around survey creation, implementation, and statistical inferences arising from results, but I'm also creating various forms for the company in Excel and have absolutely no idea where to start. Any good resources to brush myself up? :ohdear:

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Xovaan posted:

I just got my first job/internship as a market research analyst. They were impressed with my resume, but all of my experience comes from Stata and a lot of what they want me to do involves Excel. What's the easiest way to keep my head above water? The job mainly focuses around survey creation, implementation, and statistical inferences arising from results, but I'm also creating various forms for the company in Excel and have absolutely no idea where to start. Any good resources to brush myself up? :ohdear:

The SA Excel thread is a great resource for small questions, and otherwise I've used MrExcel.com as a general knowledge resource. Congratulations! Is it really a job, or an internship? I guess what I mean is, are you being paid? Hope so, and good luck :)

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Xovaan posted:

For Excel, if you know how to use pivot tables and basic formulas, then you have a pretty good solid base. Google has pretty much gotten me through 3 years of market research on Excel and if you're ever stuck on trying to figure out how to do X, pretty much just googling "how to do X excel" will give you a decent answer.

Also don't be afraid to try something new and generally if you get the feeling that "there's probably a better way to do this", then there probably is so spend a little time looking into it and introduce that solution to your team/manger. Worst case is that nothing happens but if it is genuinely more useful, you've just increased productivity and demonstrated some initiative which is always good when it comes to performance reviews and bonus time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Finally, I can contribute to an answer:

One thing to remember with excel is that you may find an answer that works, but there is a more elegant or quicker way to reach the same result. So don't stress if you're not getting the A+ solutions, as long as you're getting the desired results and learning to be faster/better next time you will have it down very soon.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Has anyone ever applied to a job on Ebay-Classified. I found 2 listings for jobs that I definitely want. Even though they're by some recruiting firm, the ad is only 6-7 bullet points, a number, and a first name... I can also reply by email but its set up like craigslist where its an 'ebay-classified' email.

This is a shady scam right? The ad describes the exact position I want.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

DukAmok posted:

The SA Excel thread is a great resource for small questions, and otherwise I've used MrExcel.com as a general knowledge resource. Congratulations! Is it really a job, or an internship? I guess what I mean is, are you being paid? Hope so, and good luck :)

Ragingsheep posted:

For Excel, if you know how to use pivot tables and basic formulas, then you have a pretty good solid base. Google has pretty much gotten me through 3 years of market research on Excel and if you're ever stuck on trying to figure out how to do X, pretty much just googling "how to do X excel" will give you a decent answer.

Also don't be afraid to try something new and generally if you get the feeling that "there's probably a better way to do this", then there probably is so spend a little time looking into it and introduce that solution to your team/manger. Worst case is that nothing happens but if it is genuinely more useful, you've just increased productivity and demonstrated some initiative which is always good when it comes to performance reviews and bonus time.

Xguard86 posted:

Finally, I can contribute to an answer:

One thing to remember with excel is that you may find an answer that works, but there is a more elegant or quicker way to reach the same result. So don't stress if you're not getting the A+ solutions, as long as you're getting the desired results and learning to be faster/better next time you will have it down very soon.

Thanks guys :) It's basically what I have been doing so far and they've been happy. Gonna tackle some of those online resources while I look at some forecasting documents I've found.

The job is a paid internship that their department requested I personally fill the position of due to a great interview. It was originally set aside for somebody working toward a master's but because I'm a recent graduate they boosted it from part to full time at $10/hour 40 hours a week. I research statistics, surveys, and Excel all day. It' pretty much awesome and I have tons of freedom. Apparently if things go well they'll hire me on full time as an in-house market research analyst since they've never had one. :sun:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
excel skills also pop up everywhere, being able to say you know basic-intermediate excel functions opens a lot of entry level doors. I would also recommend you get very comfortable with hotkeys and avoid the mouse where you can. It takes some time but once you've got it down you can fly through stuff and look like a genius.

keyrocket is a cool piece of software that helps you learn shortcuts by popping up reminders when you complete a task with the mouse you could have done with the keyboard. Their free trial is for 1 program so you can set it to excel and get to know the common shortcuts in a week or two for free.

There may be a better solution and obviously make sure its OK for you install 3rd party software but I found getting that instant correction and reminder very effective in helping me learn.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Has anyone ever applied to a job on Ebay-Classified. I found 2 listings for jobs that I definitely want. Even though they're by some recruiting firm, the ad is only 6-7 bullet points, a number, and a first name... I can also reply by email but its set up like craigslist where its an 'ebay-classified' email.

This is a shady scam right? The ad describes the exact position I want.

Yes it is a scam.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I may have an opportunity to take a marketing job in a new division in a company that makes a product that I can actually get behind (I don't exactly like the things, but I recognize their utility...online transaction security devices) with people who in the interview seemed alright.

I've never worked in marketing before, though I've got some coursework in the subject...which is part of why I never worked in it. The work here, though, seems to mostly dovetail nicely with my previous work experience; it strikes me as very low-bullshit (largely because the audience we'd be aiming at are mostly professionals with some idea what they're doing, not the general public).

How transferrable is experience in marketing and market research? Assuming I don't have a long and bright future at this company, is this a field that is easy to move around in once you've got some experience? If I don't just say "gently caress IT" and jump back to ESL or find my dream job, lead me spiraling into self-loathing, alcoholism and suicide (barring finding myself working for the kinds of people Pro-PRC Laowai works for)?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

I may have an opportunity to take a marketing job in a new division in a company that makes a product that I can actually get behind (I don't exactly like the things, but I recognize their utility...online transaction security devices) with people who in the interview seemed alright.

I've never worked in marketing before, though I've got some coursework in the subject...which is part of why I never worked in it. The work here, though, seems to mostly dovetail nicely with my previous work experience; it strikes me as very low-bullshit (largely because the audience we'd be aiming at are mostly professionals with some idea what they're doing, not the general public).

How transferrable is experience in marketing and market research? Assuming I don't have a long and bright future at this company, is this a field that is easy to move around in once you've got some experience? If I don't just say "gently caress IT" and jump back to ESL or find my dream job, lead me spiraling into self-loathing, alcoholism and suicide (barring finding myself working for the kinds of people Pro-PRC Laowai works for)?

If you have never worked in Marketing because you didn't like marketing coursework, that's a pretty clear statement. Dealing with customers is probably a small percentage of the job. Design campaigns, run them, track results, set up events, drive attendance, do ALL of the logistics, show up four hours early to set up your sign and table and make sure the venue didn't massively screw things up, then deal with the customers who actually show up, eat a $60 steak and then mention they just bought your competitors solution. There is probably a lot of BS, just not with the customers themselves.

Yes, you can move around in field marketing pretty easily in the tech sector, I have known several who have bounced around places like EMC and VMWare and do pretty well.

I have worked with many (dozens of) marketing people over the past 15 years. There are maybe two, two of them, who I would choose to work with again.

I hope there is some awesome marketing goon here who can prove me wrong and post about how awesome marketing is!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

excel skills also pop up everywhere, being able to say you know basic-intermediate excel functions opens a lot of entry level doors. I would also recommend you get very comfortable with hotkeys and avoid the mouse where you can. It takes some time but once you've got it down you can fly through stuff and look like a genius.

keyrocket is a cool piece of software that helps you learn shortcuts by popping up reminders when you complete a task with the mouse you could have done with the keyboard. Their free trial is for 1 program so you can set it to excel and get to know the common shortcuts in a week or two for free.

There may be a better solution and obviously make sure its OK for you install 3rd party software but I found getting that instant correction and reminder very effective in helping me learn.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Company doesn't mind me installing anything on my system as long as it isn't internet_virus.exe and they've given me tons of free reign to do stuff like use Stata for my regressions since Excel's data analysis toolbar addon, while identical in theory, doesn't come close to the power nor online library of Stata. Keyrocket seems like a great idea and I'm definitely gonna install it on the work PC today (already did on my home PC too!).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yes, you can move around in field marketing pretty easily in the tech sector, I have known several who have bounced around places like EMC and VMWare and do pretty well.

I have worked with many (dozens of) marketing people over the past 15 years. There are maybe two, two of them, who I would choose to work with again.

I hope there is some awesome marketing goon here who can prove me wrong and post about how awesome marketing is!

It's more the amorality of it combined with the propensity for bullshit (which came up a lot in the one course which was specifically marketing); not that much of an issue when dealing solely with people who ought to be less susceptible to bullshit, in a more or less equal power relationship, I would hope.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

It's more the amorality of it combined with the propensity for bullshit (which came up a lot in the one course which was specifically marketing); not that much of an issue when dealing solely with people who ought to be less susceptible to bullshit, in a more or less equal power relationship, I would hope.

Theoretical discussion are nice, but it boils down to: What are the daily tasks and duties of the job, and how do those things compare to what you actually like to do?

Just like the discussion earlier in the thread on presales versus sales people, the tasks and duties of the jobs are different, and different people gravitate to different aspects of the job.

You may really really like the day to day work of that particular marketing role, or you could totally loathe it. Get to know the good, bad, and ugly of the role and choose based on what will give you good job/life satisfaction.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So, I need some career advice. I'm currently a tax accountant (2nd year) at a big 4 firm. My degree is in business/economics with an accounting minor. I've got my CPA.

It turns out that I don't really like accounting, or at least tax accounting as I've come to know it. I'm very good at it, and I could make a lot of money doing it, but I just don't care for the work. I'm a very driven person and I can feel this job sapping my drive to ask "why" and it has made me pretty apathetic towards work in general. I see the managers above me and do not want their lifestyle because they are unhappy and work 24/7.

So that leads me to my career choices. Given my background it makes sense to go into some sort of analyst type role where I can use my CPA and accounting knowledge to help make better business decisions. I've also considered a Product Manager type role where I can see myself managing the business end of product development.

If you look at my posting history you can see my interests are in tech. While I don't have any tech-oriented education, I think I could use that passion to help me learn product management. I've considered going the startup route (I founded one in college that didn't work out but I loved it and could get a job with a startup pretty easily). I've also got connections at larger companies where I could pursue this path.

So the question is really about picking a path and a lifestyle. I greatly value my work-life balance, and while I don't mind putting in the hours, I don't think working 70 hours a week is very productive.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any analysts or product managers in industry have any insight? Big company or startup???

help me I have too many options

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So, I need some career advice. I'm currently a tax accountant (2nd year) at a big 4 firm. My degree is in business/economics with an accounting minor. I've got my CPA.

It turns out that I don't really like accounting, or at least tax accounting as I've come to know it. I'm very good at it, and I could make a lot of money doing it, but I just don't care for the work. I'm a very driven person and I can feel this job sapping my drive to ask "why" and it has made me pretty apathetic towards work in general. I see the managers above me and do not want their lifestyle because they are unhappy and work 24/7.

So that leads me to my career choices. Given my background it makes sense to go into some sort of analyst type role where I can use my CPA and accounting knowledge to help make better business decisions. I've also considered a Product Manager type role where I can see myself managing the business end of product development.

If you look at my posting history you can see my interests are in tech. While I don't have any tech-oriented education, I think I could use that passion to help me learn product management. I've considered going the startup route (I founded one in college that didn't work out but I loved it and could get a job with a startup pretty easily). I've also got connections at larger companies where I could pursue this path.

So the question is really about picking a path and a lifestyle. I greatly value my work-life balance, and while I don't mind putting in the hours, I don't think working 70 hours a week is very productive.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any analysts or product managers in industry have any insight? Big company or startup???

help me I have too many options

Have you thought about leaving the Big 4 and going into industry or a smaller firm?

The big firms are a total grind and you might enjoy things a lot more on the outside. With two years I don't know that you could just straight into management (maybe you could though), and the work might be a little different but still pay well and there are probably interesting and fun places to work to do this. Your CPA is certainly worth something and just throwing it away might not be the best long term decision career wise.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Have you thought about leaving the Big 4 and going into industry or a smaller firm?

I have a friend that did this and she makes more money for far fewer hours and is pretty satisfied with life. I think its fairly expected that you do your time, get the CPA then get the hell out, at least thats what everyone in the field says when I've spoken to them.

I've also noticed many high level managers started out the same way you are, and the big 4 alumni network seems very strong so you are among good company, my friend.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

My skillset: front end web development, is in very high demand right now (I'm contacted by a recruiter almost daily). I'm being paid top market value in Austin, Texas, one of the hottest markets for software development outside of Silicon Valley. But I don't want to be in Texas anymore; within a year I plan to be in San Diego, near family and better weather.

I'd like to continue making my current salary, but because of the "sunshine tax", I'm finding the top of the market in San Diego pays the same with about a 30% increase in cost of living. My current employer has an office in Los Angeles and they do allow working from home when necessary. But, they have been trying to consolidate team members to the same city and considering I only started in May, I don't know how well they'd receive my request to work remotely full time. Other than making a convincing argument, is there anything I can do to increase my chances?

For the San Diego market; is that just the way things are or is there something I can do to receive offers near my current salary? I'm assuming bigger companies like Intuit, Sony, etc. will pay more than those local to SD.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

sim posted:

My skillset: front end web development, is in very high demand right now (I'm contacted by a recruiter almost daily). I'm being paid top market value in Austin, Texas, one of the hottest markets for software development outside of Silicon Valley. But I don't want to be in Texas anymore; within a year I plan to be in San Diego, near family and better weather.

I'd like to continue making my current salary, but because of the "sunshine tax", I'm finding the top of the market in San Diego pays the same with about a 30% increase in cost of living. My current employer has an office in Los Angeles and they do allow working from home when necessary. But, they have been trying to consolidate team members to the same city and considering I only started in May, I don't know how well they'd receive my request to work remotely full time. Other than making a convincing argument, is there anything I can do to increase my chances?

For the San Diego market; is that just the way things are or is there something I can do to receive offers near my current salary? I'm assuming bigger companies like Intuit, Sony, etc. will pay more than those local to SD.

Shop around and cast a wide net. Service Now is supposed to be hiring like mad, they are worth finding someone and talking to over there. Sony online and SCE also have big operations and with the Ps4 launch they may have need as well.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have a BA in Economics, graduated 2011. During school I did an internship in the commerce department of the US Embassy in Madrid. Immediately after, I had a 7 month stint doing advertising sales for a Spanish company, spent half a year teaching English in Spain, and half a year tutoring ESL in some American public schools. Right now I work for a payroll/accounting company. I've been there for five months and I'm bored to tears. My job mainly consists of implementing payroll changes requested by clients, applying for and managing state unemployment insurance/withholding tax accounts, and making lots of faxes.

I know I have to put in at least a few years in corporate so I can more easily jump to the next thing, but I want to develop my skills so that I can jump into something a little more interesting.

I have some basic HTML/CSS skills and hobbyist-level experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash. I'm way cool at Excel and Access (vlookup is my best buddy.) Due to my current job I now know a lot about US tax and labor laws. I have a lot of soft skills that are difficult to quantify. What are some career paths I can look into that are feasible with my background and skillset? Any certs I can obtain on the side? Self-study that would move things along?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I guess I just want some reaffirmation.

Quickly approaching my 1-year with my current employer as their environmental chemist. Put in for a promotion to run the laboratory at another factory owned by our company. Within a week, two management-level people called and discussed the position as well as a visit to the factory. It's been a month now and the only thing I get is "we're still working on the details."

Fast-forward to this week. My boss, the chief chemist here at this factory, is leaving as well. His assistant did the same thing I did and put in for the job. Which is perfect because we're both looking to advance, I despise this town, and he doesn't. However, his reply back about it was a bit more unsettling than telling me to wait. They said they would just reevaluate his pay in May. So until then he's going to be doing the job of chief chemist at his current pay and title.

So to me it seems like they're just not wanting to pay someone to do the job. My current position is decent but it's really not engaging or helping me grow much. So I've started looking elsewhere for something better. The way I see it, they'll either promote me or I find something better. Which ever happens first. Am I making the right move here? I have some reservations about continuing my career with this company as two managers leaving within a month doesn't bode well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

The way I see it, they'll either promote me or I find something better. Which ever happens first.

Pretty much all you can do.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

I guess I just want some reaffirmation.

Quickly approaching my 1-year with my current employer as their environmental chemist. Put in for a promotion to run the laboratory at another factory owned by our company. Within a week, two management-level people called and discussed the position as well as a visit to the factory. It's been a month now and the only thing I get is "we're still working on the details."

Fast-forward to this week. My boss, the chief chemist here at this factory, is leaving as well. His assistant did the same thing I did and put in for the job. Which is perfect because we're both looking to advance, I despise this town, and he doesn't. However, his reply back about it was a bit more unsettling than telling me to wait. They said they would just reevaluate his pay in May. So until then he's going to be doing the job of chief chemist at his current pay and title.

So to me it seems like they're just not wanting to pay someone to do the job. My current position is decent but it's really not engaging or helping me grow much. So I've started looking elsewhere for something better. The way I see it, they'll either promote me or I find something better. Which ever happens first. Am I making the right move here? I have some reservations about continuing my career with this company as two managers leaving within a month doesn't bode well.

If I'm understanding correctly, you've only put in for the job in the other city and are now nervous that they're in some sort of hiring freeze and are trying t pay people at a lower level to do the management work? I doubt that's the long term goal. I'd say look elsewhere but a month is not too long to wait for decisions to be made, especially if there's other turmoil going on that's draining their attention. I'd pursue both options (the job at the new location and other opportunities altogether) and see which drops first.

I've been in a surprising situation and you make the decision that you think works the best for you in the long run. You can't really second guess it later, but you can try to move on if you decide it's not for you.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

corkskroo posted:

If I'm understanding correctly, you've only put in for the job in the other city and are now nervous that they're in some sort of hiring freeze and are trying t pay people at a lower level to do the management work? I doubt that's the long term goal. I'd say look elsewhere but a month is not too long to wait for decisions to be made, especially if there's other turmoil going on that's draining their attention. I'd pursue both options (the job at the new location and other opportunities altogether) and see which drops first.

I've been in a surprising situation and you make the decision that you think works the best for you in the long run. You can't really second guess it later, but you can try to move on if you decide it's not for you.

The worrying part is how they handle things like this. The HR head for the factory retired and they shoved all the duties onto the factory manager instead of getting a new one. Then there's the factories themselves that could certainly use some capital. You could be right, though. Prices (we make sugar) have tanked last year and this year's harvest has just started. So money might just be tight and they got other things to worry about.

If anything, it's good to vent about. This place is just a poo poo hole and offers nothing, outside of work, but booze. Definitely don't want to just stay here waiting for them to make up their mind if I don't have to.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I appreciate this may be entering legal territory but here goes.

I currently work at an IT MSP in the UK, and I'm interviewing at other companies. When I first joined the company my role was in telesales, and my contract reflects that (Specifies me working as a "sales executive"), but there's a non-compete clause in there which specifically prohibits me from working at a competing business within 20 miles of my current, for a period of 1 year after my current employment ends.

Now, one of the interviews I've got next week is at a company that's literally down the road, and is another MSP. Pretty much identical. Would I be right in thinking that considering I'm in a different area of employment (First-line technical support), not going to be poaching clients, or actively undermining the current company, would the clause be in any way enforcable?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Anyone ever take a pay grade CUT (but not a salary cut) when applying internally for something that had other things going for it (responsibilities you wanted, a new location where you wanted to live, joining a part of the company you wanted to work in, that sort of thing)? Just curious how common this sort of thing is. At a hierarchical company it could seem weird but then given the other factors it could make sense.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I appreciate this may be entering legal territory but here goes.

I currently work at an IT MSP in the UK, and I'm interviewing at other companies. When I first joined the company my role was in telesales, and my contract reflects that (Specifies me working as a "sales executive"), but there's a non-compete clause in there which specifically prohibits me from working at a competing business within 20 miles of my current, for a period of 1 year after my current employment ends.

Now, one of the interviews I've got next week is at a company that's literally down the road, and is another MSP. Pretty much identical. Would I be right in thinking that considering I'm in a different area of employment (First-line technical support), not going to be poaching clients, or actively undermining the current company, would the clause be in any way enforcable?

This is just me speaking as an auditor, not as any sort of legal specialist, but I would think contacting your former HR rep would be a solid idea. Non-compete's focus on you as the employee not to entering into or starting a similar profession or trade in competition against another your former employer. So, with the skills and knowledge gap between a sales executive and a techincal suport rep, you should be fine. I'd still check though.

EDIT: From wikipedia
CNC's may be used only if the employer can prove a legitimate business interest to protect in entering the clause into the contract. Mere competition will not amount to a legitimate business interest

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 16, 2013

tzien
May 1, 2009
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this (or if it's been previously discussed) but here's my question:

Does anyone have experience with working both full-time and as a contractor with the same company? Is this even possible?

Background: I work for a large (innovator) biotech. We've partnered with a big pharma company over the past few years - assuming the role of a glorified contract manufacturing organization - supplying product for some of their clinical trials. We've developed a strong relationship with this company and they are now looking to contract some lab work to us. In essence, the big pharma would pay us a fixed amount (say 1 million) and we would execute the lab studies.

If we hire contractors through normal channels, my company is screening resumes from a staffing company for people who would be interested in making $25-30/hour for a few months of lab work. These contractors would need to be trained on our lab procedures, data/business systems, etc. Additionally, they may be expected to interact with our partner company. We would also have to pay the ridiculous commission to the staffing company to retain the services of these contractors.

On the other hand (in my dream world), we could leverage current full-time employees in a "contractor" capacity. Assuming the selected full-time employees were willing and capable to take on additional work: the quality of work would be much higher, the continuity of work would be better, the relationships with the partner company already exist, and my company could in all likelihood pay slightly less for significantly better work.

The issue is our HR department. For all contractors, HR requires hiring managers to go through specific temp staffing channels.

So to restate: does anyone have experience with a similar scenario? Any thoughts on how to appropriately approach our HR department with the win-win situation? Any thoughts on how to get around the HR situation?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tzien posted:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this (or if it's been previously discussed) but here's my question:

Does anyone have experience with working both full-time and as a contractor with the same company? Is this even possible?

Background: I work for a large (innovator) biotech. We've partnered with a big pharma company over the past few years - assuming the role of a glorified contract manufacturing organization - supplying product for some of their clinical trials. We've developed a strong relationship with this company and they are now looking to contract some lab work to us. In essence, the big pharma would pay us a fixed amount (say 1 million) and we would execute the lab studies.

If we hire contractors through normal channels, my company is screening resumes from a staffing company for people who would be interested in making $25-30/hour for a few months of lab work. These contractors would need to be trained on our lab procedures, data/business systems, etc. Additionally, they may be expected to interact with our partner company. We would also have to pay the ridiculous commission to the staffing company to retain the services of these contractors.

On the other hand (in my dream world), we could leverage current full-time employees in a "contractor" capacity. Assuming the selected full-time employees were willing and capable to take on additional work: the quality of work would be much higher, the continuity of work would be better, the relationships with the partner company already exist, and my company could in all likelihood pay slightly less for significantly better work.

The issue is our HR department. For all contractors, HR requires hiring managers to go through specific temp staffing channels.

So to restate: does anyone have experience with a similar scenario? Any thoughts on how to appropriately approach our HR department with the win-win situation? Any thoughts on how to get around the HR situation?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

If you have full time, exempt employees, just give them the additional responsibilities/work that you were giving to contractors. Maybe offer a bonus or incentive to do the extra work, but you should not need to double dip.

Think about it. These people already work for your company. There are already contracts and they get paid. You have extra work to be done. Just find a way to incentivize them (or not) to do it.

tzien
May 1, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you have full time, exempt employees, just give them the additional responsibilities/work that you were giving to contractors. Maybe offer a bonus or incentive to do the extra work, but you should not need to double dip.

Think about it. These people already work for your company. There are already contracts and they get paid. You have extra work to be done. Just find a way to incentivize them (or not) to do it.

I guess I should mention that I'm on the employee side so I'm looking for a way to double-dip for myself. As it is the work wouldn't be approved without additional headcount since management [responsibly] doesn't want to overtax people without proper compensation. There's also not really a way to fairly reward people for taking on this amount of additional work short of ponying up an obscene bonus (which is a separate HR issue). I guess you could "promise" to move up promotion cycles but that probably wouldn't pan out.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

The answer is "no."

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
If you already work as a full-time employee, when are you going to be able to carry out the contact work?

tzien
May 1, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

If you already work as a full-time employee, when are you going to be able to carry out the contact work?

Off-hours. The amount of money being discussed would make it worthwhile. I realize it's mostly a pipe-dream; I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience or general thoughts. Thanks for indulging my BS for a bit.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Nope didn't get the promotion. Found out about it through their all-employee email bounce when they hire new salary people. That's a dick move, right? Because I'm pretty pissed about how I found out.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Nope didn't get the promotion. Found out about it through their all-employee email bounce when they hire new salary people. That's a dick move, right? Because I'm pretty pissed about how I found out.

Well you described the place as a shithole so it doesn't really surprise me. That's a pretty crummy move but I don't think it's unheard of. I feel like I've seen something similar happen but the details escape me. Just start looking for something that will make you happier elsewhere. I assume you've gotten your resume and stuff together for this last attempt so you have a head start...

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've never worked with technical recruiters and have a few messaging me on LinkedIn. Can anyone give me a run down if they're worth working with? I thew some a bone and now they want to talk to me, but I'm not quite ready to move yet, plus one sent me a lisitng for the same position I've seen advertised for a few months now by that company (could apply independently if I wanted to is my point).

I like my job but I'm way underpaid at about 10k for the area.

I've had crappy experiences with staffing/recruitment agencies before, but that was at the high school and not career level, so I'm just wary of any staffing agency now.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 21, 2013

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

cheese eats mouse posted:

I've never worked with technical recruiters and have a few messaging me on LinkedIn. Can anyone give me a run down if they're worth working with? I thew some a bone and now they want to talk to me, but I'm not quite ready to move yet, plus one sent me a lisitng for the same position I've seen advertised for a few months now by that company (could apply independently if I wanted to is my point).

I like my job but I'm way underpaid at about 10k for the area.

I've had crappy experiences with staffing/recruitment agencies before, but that was at the high school and not career level, so I'm just wary of any staffing agency now.

There is a huge thread here, including an amazingly good first post, on job-hunting through LinkedIn. It might be useful for your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
This is just a nebulous idea in my head, but I thought I'd ask around to see if it could go anywhere.

I'm a mechanical/embedded controls engineer who works on mathematical modeling of physical systems, primarily to test control algorithm and software (usually for stuff like motor control) in simulation before porting it to the real word. I spend a lot of time coding and working in simulation software like MATLAB/Simulink, and my embedded + mechanical background helps a lot in understanding the mechano-electrical systems I'm working with so I can design control applications for them.

I was wondering whether my skillset was transferrable to working in quantitative finance. For stuff like market modeling and predictive simulation/flash trading/creation of financial instruments etc. Is this feasible for someone with my background?

I'm not sure where to start; I know next to nothing about the field and I'd appreciate any books or resources I could look up to start doing research about quant finance programming and modeling, to see if I could eventually move into it. Or just where to start reading up on working in finance and financial instruments in general.