Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Maybe you are right.

Personally I'm sold, it works great (not the Big Picture thing but simply playing steam games on TV with controllers) and many games are 10 times better on a TV with a controller, and they are dirty cheap during sales compared to console. Among my favorites: XCOM, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Sine Mora, all Batman Games, Darksiders, Rayman Origins, SF4, plus many local coop games which are a great reason to play on TV.

I think if you give people the opportunity to try, they'll like it. Just my opinion.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've got my computer plugged into my TV for couch controller gaming, and it's basically how I play everything but shooters and RTS games. I just really hate the big picture interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

500.000 users have tried Big Picture already.
500.000 is not the number of users - it's the number of people who willingly signed for the Big Picture beta when it was still going. There was a big fanfare when it was actually officially released but Valve didn't publish any numbers since. Logically the number is bigger and I'm sure it was one of the main factors for Valve to see the potential in developing an OS.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 24, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Those numbers might also be distorted by the number of people who tried it once, said "Huh that's neat I guess" then never touched it again.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

500.000 users have tried Big Picture already.

Honestly though, Big Picture mode isn't really that great.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Those numbers might also be distorted by the number of people who tried it once, said "Huh that's neat I guess" then never touched it again.
Yes but at the same time signing for the beta wasn't a big announcement. You had to follow the news section/use specific forums, change your Steam settings to be able to try it out. So it wasn't just random mainstream consumers clicking on a big banner on the front page. The official release was way bigger and introduced it to regular clients so the number of users may be actually way higher.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Better or worse than OUYA?

What's a better TV interface in your opinion? Onlive?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

On that we agree. But I think that a box that allows people to play their Steam game on TV even if their PC is in another room may have some potential. But yeah Big Picture is poo poo, hopefully you don't have to run it to play on TV so far.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hav posted:

I'm sure it's better than Ouya and I've never tried Onlive, but I'd rather use the Xbox dashboard. Yeah, the current one.
Hell, increase the fonts and I'd rather use the regular Steam interface.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think the idea here is for people who enjoy Steam but would really like to sit down on the couch and play something with a controller for a bit on the big screen.

Is that a big market? No. But I think Valve is so afraid of Windows 8 and its app store that if he can convince 1% of Steam users to switch over to buy one of these that this will keep Steam afloat for a bit more.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I've been dying to hook my TV up to my computer as more than a novelty. I also don't feel like moving my computer to my living/bed room whenever I want to play a game on a controller.

I would happily pay 100$ for the ability to play my PC games in another room without having to move my computer around and mess with cables and networking (my PC doesn't have a wireless card).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Will SteamOS use a dessert naming convention for new versions similar to Android?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Will SteamOS use a dessert naming convention for new versions similar to Android?

ABS pipe
Bathtub drain
Closet flange
Double sanitary tee

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Hav posted:

Big Picture was actually a huge letdown even discounting the fact that it crashes constantly for me.

The OnLive interface is pretty bad but that's not really comparable

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Who needs Steam Thing when we have OUYA? I am ready for some football, personally.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

raditts posted:

It really isn't. But Steam sucked at first too. The valve way is to slowly improve and iterate over YEARS :corsair:

Suspicious Dish posted:

Steam is not open-source, and neither is SteamOS. The fact that the package that contains the Valve and Steam logo is licensed under CC-BY-SA 2.0 seems to be a mistake.

What he meant was "hackable" (whatever that means) like OUYA claims to be. OUYA isn't open-source either, but it claims to be hacker friendly. Linux is much more hacker friendly.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

RagnarokAngel posted:

Certainly, but I think the people at Valve are smart enough not to waste a bunch of money on something that obviously has no backing. Whatever their internal stats are, I'm sure they point to a valuable, if small, market.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

What he meant was "hackable" (whatever that means) like OUYA claims to be. OUYA isn't open-source either, but it claims to be hacker friendly. Linux is much more hacker friendly.

Whether SteamOS or the Steambox will be hacker-friendly remain to be seen. Lots of embedded software runs Linux as a kernel but doesn't allow users to hack on it.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Thought I was reading the steam thread for a bit there.

Is there a set end for the FTGF, or does it go indefinitely until OUYA collapses?

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro
According to their rules page it ends August 10, 2014 or when the $1M has been committed. Whichever is earlier.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

ComputerNinja posted:

According to their rules page it ends August 10, 2014 or when the $1M has been committed. Whichever is earlier.

Pretty sure it'll be the former, the updated FTG rules didn't really get a big rush of new hopefuls:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I just don't see who the target for steambox is. It's halfway between a console and PC with no obvious benefit over either. Onlive style streaming sounds neat but Sony now has a $100 box that will offer the same thing.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Man I love when people go "I'm gonna make an online MMO! (but I need money first)", it just kills me.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

kemikalkadet posted:

Pretty sure it'll be the former, the updated FTG rules didn't really get a big rush of new hopefuls:

Who in their right mind would think anybody would want a game based on those terrible LCD handhelds?

Look at this horse poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXYPKpol_z0

They wanted $51 923 for this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Borden posted:

Who in their right mind would think anybody would want a game based on those terrible LCD handhelds?

The only thing I can think of is so you can show your kids how terrible the games were that you had to get by on as a kid. :haw:

Honestly the graphics and aesthetic are really well done. Its too bad its such a poo poo idea.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
"Hey man, all these retro pixel games are making money, how can I top that?"

Edit: A real licensed Game and Watch virtual museum thing would be a pretty cool cheap downloadable game. Sort of like how you can appreciate when a pinball simulator takes the time to recreate every inch of the table.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: A real licensed Game and Watch virtual museum thing would be a pretty cool cheap downloadable game. Sort of like how you can appreciate when a pinball simulator takes the time to recreate every inch of the table.
Ehhh, just go here and mess about for a bit:
http://www.pica-pic.com/

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It seems Julie is an evil mastermind who has a sinister plan for our future (old but first time I read this):

Julie posted:

In addition, Urhman said future versions of the Ouya could very well be built into television sets, or at the very least, a tiny silver box.

"At the end of the day, I'd like Ouya to be on every single television, every single tablet, from every single OEM you can think of... I would love for it to be built into a television," she added
http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/70076-ouyas-online-multiplayer-will-have-to-wait

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

That really is a fun idea, but they should have thought of some kind of twist to it so it's also fun to look at. Different colored Game and Watch shells don't count. Hell, I didn't even grow up with Game and Watch, at least give me the shell of those Tiger LCD games, that's the one I'd theoretically be nostalgic for, here. But you really can't just be doing the black graphics and the little clicking noises in 2013, that's insane. It's like the people who were trying to make games based on PS1-era 3D, only somehow more smug and elitist.

EDIT: just looked up the title to edit it in and Jesus Christ Game & Clock is not even clever or anything, god drat

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

You mean like the Game and Watch Gallery games for Game Boy? They were pretty cool, they had the originals and versions with updated graphics, and historical information about the games.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You mean like the Game and Watch Gallery games for Game Boy? They were pretty cool, they had the originals and versions with updated graphics, and historical information about the games.

I got the original Game & Watch Gallery on 3DS and Oil Panic is one of the best toilet games ever made.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Manslaughter posted:

Man I love when people go "I'm gonna make an online MMO! (but I need money first)", it just kills me.

"All I need is a programmer, an artist, and someone to do music, but I got everything else, I drew this farting sword and wrote out all the backstory so I figure it's going to be easy since all the real work is already done. Kickstarter here I come!"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I forgot about those. Yeah pretty much that with every game and super high quality models of the devices themselves that you can rotate around and flip em open and closed and all that nonsense. I get a boner for dumb poo poo like that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

source

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Borden posted:

Does the virtual clock mode work?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Lots of solid moments in that vid.

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.

kemikalkadet posted:

Project Gert Guy in a totally not creepy FAQ response posted:

Is there an age limit for dev for a week?
Absolutely not. You can enlist your baby if you want, granted that you check your baby at the door and sign the appropriate wavers. Each parent attending would require an additional donation. Long story short, we will accommodate a 110 year old person, or a 1 year old person. Parents are an additional donation.

20 of 20 of these are still available so hurry up, parents.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:allears: This is like the culmination of the entire thread in one .gif

You glorious Taiwanese bastards. I love every part of this video. GabeN in a hot tub of money. They even have Julie crying and the actual OUYA logo. Its just so perfect.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Well gently caress now Julie has someone to blame the shipping problems on

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Alan Smithee posted:

Well gently caress now Julie has someone to blame the shipping problems on

Herself? It's Uhrman hearing about the Steambox and destroying the OUYAs in despair.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Apart from that video of her response to the FTG thing don't think I've ever actually seen her speak. Anything funny on YT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-4Yb4fO8nM&t=66s

• Locked thread