Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm trying my first Pork Shoulder, just the Picnic half. It's 4 pounds and I'm smoking it Sunday. Planning on 6 hours in the smoke at 225ish, followed by a drop in the oven if necessary. Any tips?

Give it 3-4 hours in the smoke and then wrap it in foil til it hits 198-203. Then rest it for an hour and shred.

You're welcome in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm trying my first Pork Shoulder, just the Picnic half. It's 4 pounds and I'm smoking it Sunday. Planning on 6 hours in the smoke at 225ish, followed by a drop in the oven if necessary. Any tips?

In addition to what's been said - give yourself 8 hours. If it finishes early you can let it rest un-pulled in a cooler wrapped in foil and then a towel or two for quite a while. Leave a thermometer in it while you do so if you like, it'll be fine for a couple hours.

With butts the best advice is to finish ahead of schedule. They can be really tricky time wise, and it's stressful to be way behind when the guests show up.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I have come to the indisputable conclusion that the best use for leftover pulled pork is on top of nachos.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

coronaball posted:

I have come to the indisputable conclusion that the best use for leftover pulled pork is on top of nachos.

Stuffed inside jalapenos, topped with cream cheese and colby jack, wrapped in bacon, and smoked. Chips just get in the way. (Half of them have sausages in them instead).

jason
Jul 25, 2002

cornface posted:

Stuffed inside jalapenos, topped with cream cheese and colby jack, wrapped in bacon, and smoked. Chips just get in the way. (Half of them have sausages in them instead).

I do these every time I get the smoker going with sausage or deer meat. Never thought to use leftover BBQ. I know what I'm doing with the left-over rib tips in my freezer.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Tuxedo Jack posted:

http://www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/pork_butt/index.html

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Has anyone ever tried using red maple for smoking? I assume "maple" used for smoking is sugar maple? Am I wrong? Does it matter.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Maple has a light smoke flavour and tends to leave very red smoke rings. This is some of the highest rated lump on NakedWhiz, which I buy when I can get it. Might be hard to get stateside as it is Canadian.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag3.htm

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Having a much easier time with temperature control now that I've moved the grill slightly closer to the house and out of the Kansas wind. Got a nasty burn on my finger trying to shut the flue a bit. Stupid Pit mitt was on my other hand. Ugh.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Apparently after I made my last pork butt last weekend, the water in the water pan in my WSM evaporated to nothing, leaving about 2 inches of a thick, gluey black sludge at the bottom of the bowl. Anybody have any idea on how to clean this?

And yes, I'll be foiling the bowl from now on.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

coronaball posted:

Apparently after I made my last pork butt last weekend, the water in the water pan in my WSM evaporated to nothing, leaving about 2 inches of a thick, gluey black sludge at the bottom of the bowl. Anybody have any idea on how to clean this?

I have always just used soap, water and elbow grease.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

coronaball posted:

Scoop out what you can, barkeeper's friend for what you can't.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

coronaball posted:

Just knock out what you can with a non-metal scraper and call it a day. It isn't going to hurt anything, it is just carbon at this point.

edit: just realized you said it was still gooey. Wads of paper towels followed by dish soap is probably your best bet depending on how viscous it still is.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Keep your pets and kids away from it. I've heard stories.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't have a WSM, but I have yet to meet the cooking mess that couldn't be fixed by soaking with Dawn. Use paper towels to scoop out whatever gunk you can get your hands on. Squirt a generous amount of Dawn in the bottom, then fill with really hot water. You might want to do this outside to make sure the grease doesn't go down your sink. Come back a day later, dump and rinse, then take it inside to scrub with more hot water and Dawn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Boiling water and enough time for it to cool to put your hands in helps

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
any time I have had to do a massive cleaning on my weber kettle I just usually purge it with fire. Does a great job

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

coronaball posted:

Sometimes it's just easier to buy those disposable aluminum pans at cash & carry and toss them when you're done.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Greetings Goon Meatburners,

I'm looking at replacing a 6 year old CharBroil propane gas grill that has seen better days. I think the final straw is going to come in the form of a rat infestation in my back yard and the grill seems to be the center of their attention every evening. :barf: :barf: :barf:

I have been looking into going into smoking and wondered if some of you might have suggestions for some kind of combination that would get me:

a. Another propane burning grill AND
b. Get me into meat smoking

I really want to do briskets, sausage, pork, and the whole Texas BBQ thing and I prefer gas and don't really feel like I want to tinker with charcoal.

The way I see it I can do this one of two ways:

1. Buy a combination gas grill that has a smoker attached next to it or has enough room for me to make a smoker a la here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/gas_grill_setup.html

2. Buy a separate gas grill from a separate smoker (something simple like an ECB, proping it up on bricks and running a turkey frier burner under it.).

I want to keep costs to a minimum but I could see $300 as being a reasonable expense. Give me some idea goon cookers of meat.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So last weekend's picnic half came out amazing. I'm doing a 15 pound full butt tomorrow. Any tips?

Going at 225-250 for 8 hours in the smoke, then foiling for 3-4 hours at 250-300.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just saw a post on Epic Meal Time's Facebook page.

Meatloaf balls stuffed with Mac n cheese, and wrapped in bacon. Somehow I think these would be even better in the smoker. I can't figure out how to link to the picture from my phone

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So every time I have made chicken in my wsm it has ended up delicious, but greasy as all hell and intestinal distress is pretty much a foregone conclusion after a few pieces for me. Any way to cut down on that?

Chicken thighs mostly.

Update: Apparently everyone who ate it has gotten sick now. Smoked it til the thermometer read 180 which I actually thought was beyond what they are supposed to be pulled at (for briefly distracted).

They meat looked a little red but the texture seemed fine and I assumed that was part of the smoke ring effect. Used mesquite and the color was identical to the ring in a butt I did a few weeks back.

Help me, noble smokers. I don't want to poison my friends (any more than necessary).

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 23, 2013

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
I am really excited because on Saturday I made the pulled pork and was SO happy with the results.

I had a 10#er (bone in) trimmed about a pound of fat off and the cut it in half with the edge of the bone pretty much being the half way marker. I put the boneless half in my Weber kettle and the bone in half in my R2 unit (see previous page). I only have one thermometer so I put it in the boneless butt. When it hit 160 the temp dropped by several degrees and stalled so I wrapped both in AL foil and poured a bottle of beer in with the boneless and a bottle of peary with the bone in. After more than four hours it only reached 180 and I was 30 min from the time I had promised to feed everyone - SO, even though I didn't want to I moved them indoors to the oven to finish (300). About 45 min later the temp was 189 and I decided to check. The bone came out easy with little more than a soul patch of meat on it. Both were tender and very pullable. There was still some bark, though not much as you would imagine with all of that liquid. A friend then made a sauce from the dripings and booze mix. I know its not exactly by the numbers, but frankly the results were so good I don't care.

The went on around 8;15AM and out of the oven around 9ish

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Man, I bought a Bradley digital smoker (4 rack) at the beginning of summer and have really loved it.
I'm not used to really long cooking times that aren't braising/stewing, and have had mostly mixed results so far, but it's been freaking awesome to learn, and to use in conjunction with my remote thermometer set up - I feel like such a pimp.

I've got a turkey pastrami batch out there as we speak.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone have any experience with probe thermometer units that have a wireless receiver that you can take into the house? A buddy of mine is looking for one for his Bradly Electric, so a temp controller is not necessary, just the probe itself. Bonus points if you know of any that can be monitored via smart phone.

The one that he is looking at so far is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-7...ometer+wireless

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Literally the exact same unit, with the exact same smoker I mentioned in the post above yours.

It's "good", but not perfect. It's sluggish in terms of response times, and I wouldn't trust it for +-2 degrees F.

Perfectly serviceable at worst. A good performer for the price.

Pokkahn
Nov 23, 2003
Tree fallin
Just recently bought a WSM 18.5 and have smoked two things so far Ribs and a Boston Butt. Both items have been tremendously overpoweringly smokey almost to the point that I cant taste anything other than smoke. I have been using about 5-8 fist size chunks combo of apple/hickory. Im still sort of in the phase where I am trying to figure this out. I am going to try the next smoke with half the amount of wood and see how things go. Does anyone have any other ideas besides toning down wood quantity?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Temperature, smoke quantity (not the same as wood quantity, putting your wood in foil, a pan, etc changes how it smolders), ambient temperature, and even the meat itself (brined, not brined) all seem to make a ton of difference.

If you're not looking at smoking as a preservative, try this - make whatever it is you're making on the grill, burgers, chicken, whatever, and if you'd normally only use charcoal, when it comes time to put the meat on the grill, first throw down a handful of soaked woodchips and see how you like the flavor.

If you do, move on to slower grilling things like half-chickens or things that require longer, more consistent heat sources and put soaked woodchips in foil with knife-pricks in it so they last longer and see if you like that.

I guess what I'm saying is that, yea, controlling the amount of smoke and temperature is exactly how you control the smokiness of your end product. And, even though I've got a smoker, I'm not overly a smoked foods kind of guy. I like it as light as possible, but I love the options a smoker gives you in terms of food preservation and stuff.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Doom Rooster posted:

Anyone have any experience with probe thermometer units that have a wireless receiver that you can take into the house? A buddy of mine is looking for one for his Bradly Electric, so a temp controller is not necessary, just the probe itself. Bonus points if you know of any that can be monitored via smart phone.

The one that he is looking at so far is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-7...ometer+wireless

I've got the following : http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET-71CAN-RediChek-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B004GB2570/ref=sr_1_62?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1379989985&sr=1-62

Simple and accurate enough, works through my exterior wall, but your environment is different. It's been in the rain, dropped and cheap enough that if it breaks I'm not too worried.

Any smart phone ones are probably going to be super expensive.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

Literally the exact same unit, with the exact same smoker I mentioned in the post above yours.

It's "good", but not perfect. It's sluggish in terms of response times, and I wouldn't trust it for +-2 degrees F.

Perfectly serviceable at worst. A good performer for the price.

Luckily neither of those negatives really matter for use in a smoker. I have the same one. Works great, even when I'm upstairs. Batteries seem to last a long time. I would probably buy another of the same model if I accidentally smashed mine.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Pokkahn posted:

Just recently bought a WSM 18.5 and have smoked two things so far Ribs and a Boston Butt. Both items have been tremendously overpoweringly smokey almost to the point that I cant taste anything other than smoke. I have been using about 5-8 fist size chunks combo of apple/hickory. Im still sort of in the phase where I am trying to figure this out. I am going to try the next smoke with half the amount of wood and see how things go. Does anyone have any other ideas besides toning down wood quantity?

Cut the amount of wood in half and ditch the hickory, it's got a stronger smoke flavor than other woods. My favorite combo for pork is a 50/50 of apple and cherry.

Speaking of wood, is there a better place to buy wood than Amazon? Their prices just seem sort of average, about the same as you'd pay at like a Home Depot.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

coronaball posted:

Cut the amount of wood in half and ditch the hickory, it's got a stronger smoke flavor than other woods. My favorite combo for pork is a 50/50 of apple and cherry.

Speaking of wood, is there a better place to buy wood than Amazon? Their prices just seem sort of average, about the same as you'd pay at like a Home Depot.

Go to Craig's list and see if anyone has recently felled a tree of the type of wood you want. Them go pick some up and chop it into blocks. FREE WOOD.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

So every time I have made chicken in my wsm it has ended up delicious, but greasy as all hell and intestinal distress is pretty much a foregone conclusion after a few pieces for me. Any way to cut down on that?

Chicken thighs mostly.

Update: Apparently everyone who ate it has gotten sick now. Smoked it til the thermometer read 180 which I actually thought was beyond what they are supposed to be pulled at (for briefly distracted).

They meat looked a little red but the texture seemed fine and I assumed that was part of the smoke ring effect. Used mesquite and the color was identical to the ring in a butt I did a few weeks back.

Help me, noble smokers. I don't want to poison my friends (any more than necessary).

Was the probe of the thermometer touching the thigh bone? That will screw with the reading. I find the best way to tell with thighs is just cutting one open and looking, judge by color, moisture level and texture of the meat.

Thighs are pretty much always going to be greasy unless you manage to remove all the fat, but then why bother with thighs?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

ixo posted:

Was the probe of the thermometer touching the thigh bone? That will screw with the reading. I find the best way to tell with thighs is just cutting one open and looking, judge by color, moisture level and texture of the meat.

Thighs are pretty much always going to be greasy unless you manage to remove all the fat, but then why bother with thighs?

I didn't think it was hitting the bone, but thighs are tough to find a good place to stab.

I was under the assumption you wanted to keep the fat on until post cooking to add moisture. Is it a better plan to trim anything I spoke as much as possible?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Go to Craig's list and see if anyone has recently felled a tree of the type of wood you want. Them go pick some up and chop it into blocks. FREE WOOD.

Yeah, a wheelbarrow full of wood is enough for like a year do smoking and should run you like $20 if you buy it from a firewood guy. The problem from just gutting it fresh is that it will take a year or so to cure enough to be good and dry. If you look around for guys selling firewood your chances of finding older wood is greater.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, a wheelbarrow full of wood is enough for like a year do smoking and should run you like $20 if you buy it from a firewood guy. The problem from just gutting it fresh is that it will take a year or so to cure enough to be good and dry. If you look around for guys selling firewood your chances of finding older wood is greater.

How many smokes do you do a year that you use a wheelbarrow full? :psyduck:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Crazyeyes posted:

I didn't think it was hitting the bone, but thighs are tough to find a good place to stab.

I was under the assumption you wanted to keep the fat on until post cooking to add moisture. Is it a better plan to trim anything I spoke as much as possible?
It goes by cut. Legs are dark meat; they're naturally juicy and it's easy to make them greasy. You don't need to remove 100% of the fat and skin if you don't want to, but you should at least get rid of the excess flaps. Also be sure they can drain well instead of swimming in their grease.

You can tell when chicken is done because the juices will run clear. Or stick the thermometer in the fat part in the crook of the leg. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a fast-reading thermometer so you can check a couple spots. It must have been really under to get everyone sick.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

How many smokes do you do a year that you use a wheelbarrow full? :psyduck:

Hah, when I first got it I was using it about once or twice a week. I have slowed down a little now I guess. I also do a lot of grilling over hardwood fires so I think maybe I am over estimating how much of my "cooking wood" goes into the smoker.

This being said I am trying to score a mixed cherry/hickory cord of wood just for cooking and have already made a rack for it. I got a cord of cherry last year for heating and still have like a 4x4x3 stack left of really nice dry stuff for cooking. We may build a cob oven soon so I really need to up my wood reserves.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

It goes by cut. Legs are dark meat; they're naturally juicy and it's easy to make them greasy. You don't need to remove 100% of the fat and skin if you don't want to, but you should at least get rid of the excess flaps. Also be sure they can drain well instead of swimming in their grease.

You can tell when chicken is done because the juices will run clear. Or stick the thermometer in the fat part in the crook of the leg. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a fast-reading thermometer so you can check a couple spots. It must have been really under to get everyone sick.

I actually think it was something else we ate, but that is good advice. Thanks for the tips everyone! At least it tasted fantastic going down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If anyone in the US wants to get an electric smoker cheap amazon are having a sale