Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm glad they finally announced the next cycle, I was getting worried it was slipping to 2014, if they didn't lose the license altogether.

This gets mentioned all the time, and debunked constantly, but just in case you still weren't positive:

In a recent podcast, Steve Horvath, VP of FFG, talked at length with Team Covenant about stuff in general. A topic was the license, and there is no fear or decent conversation at all that they are going to lose the license any time in the near future. They are just making too much money for Disney or anyone for that matter to mess this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I hope IG-88 has light side and dark side versions. He's such a lovable scamp.

With IG-88 and Kyle Katarn, that begs the question of how much does FFG'S license cover? Can we expect Admiral Thrawn, Darth Revan, Lusankya, etc, etc, etc?

... I've never even read the books, simply laughed at the wookiepedia entries. Upside down super star destroyer buried on coruscant, yeah sure whatever.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There is no way they'll pass up on printing a copy of Thrawn.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Carteret posted:

This gets mentioned all the time, and debunked constantly, but just in case you still weren't positive:

In a recent podcast, Steve Horvath, VP of FFG, talked at length with Team Covenant about stuff in general. A topic was the license, and there is no fear or decent conversation at all that they are going to lose the license any time in the near future. They are just making too much money for Disney or anyone for that matter to mess this up.

I listened to that same podcast and he very carefully did not comment on future stuff very much. I think a new contract will have to be signed before the new movies come out, and that they are likely negotiating with Disney at this point to try and secure it.

I think the game is OK for a year or 2 more, but I am sure that if they had the license locked up through the new upcoming movies they would be broadcasting that loudly.

On the other hand, we should be good for at least a few more cycles before that happens.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

holy crap Balance of the Force.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4362

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Yeah these are intended to be used against multiple people. Palpatine and Vader's abilities also don't make much sense without some special rule variant either.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, you get seven(!!) copies of an objective that you shuffle into your deck:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

And you can have as many in play as you want. Feels good man.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Since I know that box will have some tournament legal cards, is there anything in the card face to let us see which ones are not tourney legal? Is it the "D" in front of the objective set?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PJOmega posted:

Since I know that box will have some tournament legal cards, is there anything in the card face to let us see which ones are not tourney legal? Is it the "D" in front of the objective set?

Yeah I'm guessing it's the "D". Also, it looks like all the cards are numbered, not just objective sets.

I think it will be interesting, but I have to admit I would've just preferred another regular set to this. Although I remember when the game was first being talked about it was supposed to be co-op (similar to their LotR LCG) so I imagine if that was true that this box set will actually be similar to their initial concept.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Can't the D01 be for Deluxe Expansion 01? But I guess Edge of Darkness was the first one?

edit: here you can see that the Light Side have L01 on them...
edit again: "The expansion also introduces a new objective set for each of the game’s six affiliations. These objective sets are legal for play in any format, multiplayer or head-to-head. In the game’s multiplayer formats, they promote rich teamwork. In head-to-head play, you can use them to enhance your existing strategies and decks." So I guess we get 6 tournament legal objectives.

zokie fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 19, 2013

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
6 tournament legal objectives that are all going to be limit 1x per deck. So expect some potentially strong cards.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's hard to see in these images but the challenge deck cards are all numbered out of 59 and have D01 or L01 for being part of the first challenge deck for each side. The cards that are available in a normal format have a normal objective number and are X of 6.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Picked up Battle of Hoth and Escape from Hoth today; what's the current thoughts on Hoth stuff now that the cycle is complete? I'm thinking there's a lot of potential for some steamrolling decks stacked with nothing but Hoth objectives and cards that give bonuses when you control more Hoth stuff than your opponent or pulling tokens off your own Hoth stuff.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Any of you guys regional winners? I'm trying to find some decent scans of the alternate art affiliation cards but I'm having a hard time finding them. I'd like to use them as a template to make foil cards, if any of you have them and don't mind scanning them and sending them to me; you'd be awesome.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A new Luke wearing a Rebel helmet and... he's Jedi affiliation. :reject:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

alg posted:

A new Luke wearing a Rebel helmet and... he's Jedi affiliation. :reject:

Not gonna stop me from using him in a Snowspeeder deck, just means you gotta use the Jedi affiliation card instead of Rebels. PS, dat Luke is killa.

Just wish Escape from Hoth was on CGDB. :(

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 21, 2013

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Any of you guys regional winners? I'm trying to find some decent scans of the alternate art affiliation cards but I'm having a hard time finding them. I'd like to use them as a template to make foil cards, if any of you have them and don't mind scanning them and sending them to me; you'd be awesome.

If you get a good scan please pass my way. I'm experimenting with printable foil paper for Netrunner IDs and would love to try these as well.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
You just needed to participate in a regional I think to get the alternate art affiliation cards.

I have them.

Top 8 at a regional was the Darth Vadar playmat. Winning the regional was the really awesome metal force coin.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

tijag posted:

You just needed to participate in a regional I think to get the alternate art affiliation cards.

I have them.

Top 8 at a regional was the Darth Vadar playmat. Winning the regional was the really awesome metal force coin.

Yeah, that coin is pretty sweet.

Would you mind scanning those cards for PJOmega and myself?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, that coin is pretty sweet.

Would you mind scanning those cards for PJOmega and myself?

If you don't have a decent scanner Staples (or any office supply store with a print area) will do a bangup job for a couple of dollars. I'd gladly toss you the cost via paypal to compensate.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PJOmega posted:

I'd gladly toss you the cost via paypal to compensate.

Same here.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Take this to PMs guys.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I know their shipping times aren't always accurate, but they have Balance of the Force listed as being Q4 and Heroes and Legends being January :(

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

omnibobb posted:

I know their shipping times aren't always accurate, but they have Balance of the Force listed as being Q4 and Heroes and Legends being January :(

Balance of the Force is still 'at the printers'.

I expect it to go to 'on the boat' in late October, and we should get it at during, or shortly after worlds. Then the new cycle will start at the beginning of next year, which makes sense.

It is a bit disappointing that the only new thing between now and the next cycle is a multiplayer deluxe box set, which is going to have minimal impact on the 1v1 game.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

tijag posted:

Balance of the Force is still 'at the printers'.

I expect it to go to 'on the boat' in late October, and we should get it at during, or shortly after worlds. Then the new cycle will start at the beginning of next year, which makes sense.

It is a bit disappointing that the only new thing between now and the next cycle is a multiplayer deluxe box set, which is going to have minimal impact on the 1v1 game.

Yeah. They've already done their preview for the 5th data pack for the second cycle of Netrunner cards and nothing past the first Star Wars one.

I mean, I never get to play the game anyway so it doesn't matter, but it'd be nice you know?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Double post:

Balance of the Force Light Side challenge deck preview is up

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4384

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm all about some game swag, and that Balance of the Force token that was given to regionals winner was drat cool.

However it was not $280USD cool.

Good luck guy. I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but I'm sure you'll get at least that much.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I'm all about some game swag, and that Balance of the Force token that was given to regionals winner was drat cool.

However it was not $280USD cool.

Good luck guy. I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but I'm sure you'll get at least that much.

I would sell mine for half that instantly. I just don't think there's that much of a market for SWLCG stuff unfortunately. I wish this was the game that had gotten super popular rather than Netrunner.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Was reading the rulebook to check a ruling that was made at a recent tourney (in my favor, against my wishes, as weird as that sounds).

Found this gem that has been completely overlooked in my group.

quote:

Using Shields
A player may discard a card’s shield token to prevent one damage or one focus token that would be placed on the shielded card by an attack or an enemy effect (i.e. it cannot prevent damage and focus tokens placed by its controller’s costs or effects).

Emphasis mine.

I wanted to point it out in case anyone has missed that shield tokens can prevent damage or focus tokens, not only damage. We certainly have been missing on the latter.

Also, I'll double check the rules concern here for you guys.

Player A is attacking with a 1 hp unit. Player B assigns Darth Vader to defend, who is committed to the force. During the edge battle, player B plays Heat of Battle, killing player A's only attacking unit. Is Darth Vader still considered to be participating, therefore having to strike and take 2x focus tokens?

I said yes, my opponent said no, judge was called, judge ruled the combat wasn't happening anymore so Vader didn't have to strike. My opponent had a ready unit with tactics, and had Vader been forced to strike (getting 2x focus tokens), then my opponent could have attacked with the other unit, locking down my Vader for a turn.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Was reading the rulebook to check a ruling that was made at a recent tourney (in my favor, against my wishes, as weird as that sounds).

Found this gem that has been completely overlooked in my group.

Emphasis mine.

I wanted to point it out in case anyone has missed that shield tokens can prevent damage or focus tokens, not only damage. We certainly have been missing on the latter.

Also, I'll double check the rules concern here for you guys.

Player A is attacking with a 1 hp unit. Player B assigns Darth Vader to defend, who is committed to the force. During the edge battle, player B plays Heat of Battle, killing player A's only attacking unit. Is Darth Vader still considered to be participating, therefore having to strike and take 2x focus tokens?

I said yes, my opponent said no, judge was called, judge ruled the combat wasn't happening anymore so Vader didn't have to strike. My opponent had a ready unit with tactics, and had Vader been forced to strike (getting 2x focus tokens), then my opponent could have attacked with the other unit, locking down my Vader for a turn.

That's actually a very important distinction, because shields can prevent tactics icons from focusing units. Very important to keep in mind in situations where you have say, guardian of peace defending Han. Since you can only protect damage, not focus icons, it's often still useful to shield up Han in that case just to make sure he gets to strike.

Also in your other example I'm fairly certain the judge got it wrong. This is no different than attacking with no defender, or using Lando to send home the only opposing unit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I remember having a big issue with having to still put focus tokens on an attacker that had no target left, and the consensus here and on the FFG forums was that "Yep, that's the price for bringing them into the combat at all"

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Yeah, there is an engagement when both the attacker and defender has declared participating units and an engagement ends when all participating units are exhausted. One thing I was wondering about is whether Chewbacca with his bowcaster or Cloud City Wing Guard can strike from home even if their controlling player never had presence during the engagement (as defending players). My group figured that if you never declare defenders you are not allowed to use Chewbacca or the Wing Guard to strike from outside, but if you had a unit that got removed during the engagement you can strike with them. But reading the rules it looks like you can actually strike with them anyway. The only thing about unopposed battles in the rulebooks is about the defending player automatically losing the edge battle and that they are not allowed to put cards in the edge stack. And the losing player still has the opportunity to strike before the engagement ends. So Chewie is even more OP now...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

:tviv: Mara Jade

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4422

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Amazing ability text. Less than impressive icon line. If those were Tactics instead of Blast, well that would be awesome. Blast is interesting though, gives her some synergy in Imperial decks for Offensive strategies, the other cards in her set don't really have much synergy with Imperial though so I guess you'd have to splash the Imperial into a Sith deck.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PaybackJack posted:

Amazing ability text. Less than impressive icon line. If those were Tactics instead of Blast, well that would be awesome. Blast is interesting though, gives her some synergy in Imperial decks for Offensive strategies, the other cards in her set don't really have much synergy with Imperial though so I guess you'd have to splash the Imperial into a Sith deck.

You're wrong. She gets basically guaranteed targeted strike, as the first card ever on the dark side. What you want to do with targeted strike is attack and ruin poo poo, which 2 unit damage lets her do. If you are attacking anyway, blast damage is pretty swell. She's pretty unstoppable on her offense, given that she brings her own shield to stop tactics, has 3 hp and her set comes with her own protectors, which you can easily combine with emperor's royal guard to just go totally nuts. Those new protectors by the way, 2 unit damage, which is so so strong for 2 cost on dark side. The objective itself works solidly with sith control, and the 4 cards we know so far bring 7 force icons. It's an amazing objective set for Sith, who really needed more great sets. Hey wait a minute....

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

This fits in really well with sith control because she will clear boards regularly and blow up objectives. If she gets that lightsaber she's one shotting a lot of really good units with her targeted strike, and you'll still have 3 force cards to lock the force down.

She's bonkers good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

tijag posted:

This fits in really well with sith control because she will clear boards regularly and blow up objectives. If she gets that lightsaber she's one shotting a lot of really good units with her targeted strike, and you'll still have 3 force cards to lock the force down.

She's bonkers good.

I haven't played a lot of offensive Sith so I'll have to check out that style. She's a fantastic first turn drop, no doubt about it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

It's not necessarily about being "offensive Sith"-she is still heavy defensive as she'll be blowing up dudes. Also even in the most defensive of Sith decks you really want something that can shorten the game by blowing up objectives (which is pretty much the idea behind the big red bus deckstyles-sith control stuff plus a couple of things that are heavy offensive for when you've cleared/locked down the board and want to finish quick). I daresay she's almost good enough to be a Smugglers & Spies character.

Rest of the objective set is decent, but not amazing. Lightsaber is good if you get it on Mara, the protectors are solid but unspectacular, and I'm not a big fan of rage due to it's cost and restrictions. That said, I'm definitely gonna run her in my Sith build (although that's getting really tight now, with 2x Vader, Palp, and 2x Council)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
yeah, might be vadar/palp/counsel/mara jade/motti.

• Locked thread