Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Why is it that tweetbot has a bunch of updates but calcbot hasn't been updated with iPhone 5 support. How hard is it to support a paid app when you've had over a year to update the drat screen size. Won't be buying any of their apps anymore :mad:

/rant

Neither has Convertbot for that matter. As soon as they moved to Tweetbot I think sales from that eclipsed all their other apps, so they let the others fall by the wayside. That being said, the apps work just fine.

Their look is so custom that moving them to tallphone format isn't trivial either. I'm curious to see what they've come up with for iOS 7, I'm sure it's been a ton of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I wonder if Tweetbot for iOS7 will be a new app. I'd be willing to pay again if it helps support the development of Tweetbot.

The Verge posted:

Providing updates free of charge becomes even more difficult when you make two separate apps, as Tapbots developer Paul Haddad does. "Some folks will always complain, regardless," he says, "but for others it’ll depend on how much has changed [in the new app] and how long the app has been out." Haddad has not yet announced his plans for iOS 7.

Wonder how it would work with Twitter's token limit though...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

skipdogg posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that will backup your iPhone photos to a cloud backup service? My wife is pushing 20+GB of photos from the last 3 1/2 years of our kids and they're priceless to be honest. I have photostream turned on and most of them are on our home computer, but I'd like a backup solution that runs on the phone as well.

I'm going to recommend against Flickr because despite giving you 1 TB, their app stinks and uploads sometimes time out. I wouldn't rely on it at all.

I personally use Dropbox since background uploading is very reliable, but I also pay for the 100gb and that might be out of your budget ($10/month or $99/year)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

DarkJC posted:

Gotta say I find the iOS 7 version of Downcast to be a mess. Grey tint colour for tappable buttons, really? Random bits of red for others?

The developer needs to take some cues from Apple. Feels like they tried to match the look but didn't think about why things work in Apple's apps; like a half-assed skin job on top of the old app.

That being said, not like I used Downcast for its looks. Was just hoping it would make a better transition to iOS 7.

Try firing off an email to the developer inside the app, he's been great at fixing things suggested by users, has answered 2 out of 2 emails I sent him.

Speaking of Clear 2.0 , does anyone who have both Clear 1 and 2 have any idea if it's worth upgrading? I mean, they mostly just go "New font!" and nothing else...

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Should I just use the gmail app if I want an app to download my emails from multiple accounts? I'm kinda new to iOS stuff.

There any chance there's a camera app that lets you fiddle with more shooting modes, such as shooting at 23.976fps instead of 30 or something like that?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The built in mail app supports multiple accounts.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

vikingstrike posted:

The built in mail app supports multiple accounts.

Yeah my dumb rear end didn't think to check the mail app in settings. Still getting used to navigating this stuff, the last time I had a smart phone was about 1 1/2 years ago and it was an android anyway.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

cat doter posted:

Yeah my dumb rear end didn't think to check the mail app in settings. Still getting used to navigating this stuff, the last time I had a smart phone was about 1 1/2 years ago and it was an android anyway.

Try the Gmail app anyway, the one big advantage is that it can search your whole mailbox for specific terms, the Apple mail never seems to find the stuff I need from 2 years ago for some reason...

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Is there a Goodplayer alternative for video viewing and wide codec support with SMB and other network download options? Goodplayer owned, but ios7 broke SMB for me, and that was critical.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Is there an app that will change my background on a regular basis from a folder of images? It just seems like a very basic, cool thing to have.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

skipdogg posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that will backup your iPhone photos to a cloud backup service?
Have you looked into using Amazon Cloud Drive? I'm not sure if it's a good solution for you, but I know that it:

1) Has an iOS app for photos, that has an option for automatic upload.
2) Has Dropbox-like-ish apps for PC and Mac.
2) Is cheap space -- $0.50 per GB per year, in blocks of 20 or 50GB, after the 5GB you get free.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Psyker posted:

Is there an app that will change my background on a regular basis from a folder of images? It just seems like a very basic, cool thing to have.

No. Impossible.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

No. Impossible.

There's a jailbreak app called Punggyeong that can do this, but yeah, nothing available on the App Store.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Figured out why Instacast wasn't doing background activity for me, it turns out that I'm a dumb sperg and if you flick away an app from the multitasker it doesn't do background activity except for Newsstand which apparently does for some reason.

In conclusion, :downs:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Looks like all you people who hate every podcast app so far have something to look forward to: https://overcast.fm/

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Axiem posted:

Looks like all you people who hate every podcast app so far have something to look forward to: https://overcast.fm/

I realize Marco has a built-in audience, but the podcast market seems like a crowded and foolish place to put energy.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

vtlock posted:

I realize Marco has a built-in audience, but the podcast market seems like a crowded and foolish place to put energy.

I think this is one of those instances where he's just building an app that interests him, but may also have some cross-over for others. I'm at the least willing to see what he does differently, but considering I have Downcast on my iOS devices AND Mac now, it's going to take quite a bit to pull me away.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

vtlock posted:

It's going to have to be mighty good to get me to switch from Instacast, but more competition (even in such an already competitive niche) can only be good.

His long-term support of Instapaper doesn't exactly fill me with confidence though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Can someone tell me why IFTTT isn't recognizing my Craigslist search result URL?

e: App version wasn't recognizing it, but it worked when I used my mobile browser. Hasn't fired get though, so we'll see.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 22, 2013

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

OGB posted:

I think this is one of those instances where he's just building an app that interests him, but may also have some cross-over for others. I'm at the least willing to see what he does differently, but considering I have Downcast on my iOS devices AND Mac now, it's going to take quite a bit to pull me away.

He'll charge $10 for it and it'll have half the features. It'll look nice though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What happened to bbm??

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I saw on the verge It was postponed due to an issue arising from the leaked android app.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What happened to bbm??

It got Blackberried.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is there an app or anything that would let me watch my Amazon wishlist for price drops? Something similar to appshopper but for Amazon? I've been adding a lot of kindle books to my wishlist lately, and it would be nice if I could easily find out if a book's price drops by a lot for a sale or whatever.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

cryptoclastic posted:

Is there an app or anything that would let me watch my Amazon wishlist for price drops? Something similar to appshopper but for Amazon? I've been adding a lot of kindle books to my wishlist lately, and it would be nice if I could easily find out if a book's price drops by a lot for a sale or whatever.

Its not an app but you can import wishlists into http://camelcamelcamel.com and it will e-mail you on price drops.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Have you looked into using Amazon Cloud Drive? I'm not sure if it's a good solution for you, but I know that it:

1) Has an iOS app for photos, that has an option for automatic upload.
2) Has Dropbox-like-ish apps for PC and Mac.
2) Is cheap space -- $0.50 per GB per year, in blocks of 20 or 50GB, after the 5GB you get free.

This looks great actually. Everpix was my frontrunner but I wasn't clear if both my wife and I needed separate accounts making it 100/yr which isn't a ton of money, but still significant. For 10 bucks a year expanding the Amazon drive seems like a no brainer.

edit: doesn't seem to handle the videos on the phone, but that isn't the end of the world.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 23, 2013

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

JHVH-1 posted:

Its not an app but you can import wishlists into http://camelcamelcamel.com and it will e-mail you on price drops.

Signed up for that, but apparently Amazon doesn't allow them to track Kindle prices.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or the iOS7 thread. I figure I'll get more help here since everyone is complaining about small things in the other thread.

Does anyone know the easiest way to transfer a video from a laptop to the camera roll? I'm trying to upload a video onto Instagram and I think I've got the video settings right (I went off of this: http://whoismatt.com/instagramexportsettings), but I can't figure out how to get my phone to download the video. I tried Dropbox, Google Drive and emailing the video on my phone, but my phone won't let me download it. I also tried syncing the video through iTunes but apparently Instagram won't let you upload videos from the Video app, it has to be in the camera roll.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

JHVH-1 posted:

I like setting it to DM my Twitter account. Since I don't use Twitter much, when I get a push notification from the stock Twitter app, it really stands out. So it almost feels like having a camelcamelcamel app :)

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Is Yahoo Weather app acting funky for anyone else the last two days or so? It simply gives me the incorrect temperature most of the time for my city (Austin), but the forecast and other bits of information seem to be correct. A few times it has been unable to retrieve weather information altogether.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

spongeworthy posted:

Is Yahoo Weather app acting funky for anyone else the last two days or so? It simply gives me the incorrect temperature most of the time for my city (Austin), but the forecast and other bits of information seem to be correct. A few times it has been unable to retrieve weather information altogether.

I really liked the Yahoo Weather app for its style. However, I also hated it for not having animated radar.

Then it added animated radar but it uses some different precipitation scale that I just can't seem to decipher (like where it is actually raining).

Then iOS7 made its weather app look just like Yahoo's and I deleted it and reinstalled Weather Underground.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Paul Haddad (Tweetbot dev) recently changed his avatar.

I'm excited

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

TC-11 pre-update code dump:

6HWWJJEFEMXR
KL7NNNNNXE4P
HJWYHKARHKHX
M4TKTTJP3F9K
93KYXPM7HTEX
7FX6JPTMHHMW
FNYE7MTTJ9XX
P6PTJAN9ARP3
NTNFT9NWE3YH
9EPER9L374XN

:bunt:

(reminder: iPad only!)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I need a new Calendar app, but I am extremely picky and anal about them. There are a few things that are complete deal breakers for me.
I use Month view 99% of the time. The calnedar needs to default to month view and be month view oriented. Details of specific days and events need to viewable in a pop up or bar without leaving month view.
Events absolutely have to be able to be color coded.
Month view needs to display the name of events in each days pane, and also show relative times when a day has multiple events.
Must syn with google, though this usually is not an issue.
The biggest deal breaker of them all is that event creation needs to be quick and painless and use 10 key input, no scroll wheels.

I have tried tons of calendar apps and hated almost all of them. Up until recently I was using CCal and it was perfect. I loved it, best calendar app ever. Then I decided to update it for some unknown reason and 10 key is no longer the default. Every time I have to use that awful scroll wheel I want to throw my phone at a wall. Someone help me so I don't break my phone.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

lord funk posted:

TC-11 pre-update code dump:

6HWWJJEFEMXR
KL7NNNNNXE4P
HJWYHKARHKHX
M4TKTTJP3F9K
93KYXPM7HTEX
7FX6JPTMHHMW
FNYE7MTTJ9XX
P6PTJAN9ARP3
NTNFT9NWE3YH
9EPER9L374XN

:bunt:

(reminder: iPad only!)
All taken. :suicide:

I got Slide Contacts when it went free earlier, and it's pretty decent as a quick call favorites list that makes you slide a name to call the person so you don't misdial. I'm finding it more useful than Dialvetica, especially seeing as they're never going to update that thing anymore.

Wadjamaloo posted:

I need a new Calendar app, but I am extremely picky and anal about them. There are a few things that are complete deal breakers for me.
I use Month view 99% of the time. The calnedar needs to default to month view and be month view oriented. Details of specific days and events need to viewable in a pop up or bar without leaving month view.
Month view needs to display the name of events in each days pane, and also show relative times when a day has multiple events.
The biggest deal breaker of them all is that event creation needs to be quick and painless and use 10 key input, no scroll wheels.

I have tried tons of calendar apps and hated almost all of them. Up until recently I was using CCal and it was perfect. I loved it, best calendar app ever. Then I decided to update it for some unknown reason and 10 key is no longer the default. Every time I have to use that awful scroll wheel I want to throw my phone at a wall. Someone help me so I don't break my phone.
Calvetica for everything except the highlighted one, though tapping on a day will show you all that poo poo at the bottom in Agenda View. I tried Fantastical for a while, but I also hate using the loving scroll wheels for everything, so I keep coming back to Calvetica.

e: I guess you could use Calvetica for making events and CCal for review?

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 24, 2013

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

I use pocket informant and I'm fairly sure it fits all your points. Edit : it might not do the pop up thing exactly how you want.

Fcdts26 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 24, 2013

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

duckfarts posted:

e: I guess you could use Calvetica for making events and CCal for review?
I admit its crazy and that I am way too picky but there is one thing I can't stand about Calvetica based on screenshots.
In this picture I hate how it breaks the time into seperate lines. "11:55, Pick up dad, Ends 12:55. Its stupidly important to me that it it says "11:55-12:55, pick up dad."

Nask26 posted:

I use pocket informant and I'm fairly sure it fits all your points. Edit : it might not do the pop up thing exactly how you want.
I've tried PF in the past and something about it was terrible. I can give it another shot.

I emailed the folks at CCal and turns out there was a hidden away option to return it back to how it mostly was. There is still an extra click involved that is driving me crazy though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So, it's 2009 again and I'm just trying to do some Word Processing on my iPad. What's the go-to app for doing this? The ideal state for me would be able to put the documents in a folder on Dropbox that this App would pull the files from. I could make changes/comments/etc and save it again in the Dropbox in the same format (doc,docx) that it started, preserving the comments. I use a Mac if that helps any, so iCloud could be something to use also.

Cheap is fantastic also.

Thanks in advance!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TraderStav posted:

So, it's 2009 again and I'm just trying to do some Word Processing on my iPad. What's the go-to app for doing this? The ideal state for me would be able to put the documents in a folder on Dropbox that this App would pull the files from. I could make changes/comments/etc and save it again in the Dropbox in the same format (doc,docx) that it started, preserving the comments. I use a Mac if that helps any, so iCloud could be something to use also.

Cheap is fantastic also.

Thanks in advance!

You probably should just get Pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheJoker138 posted:

You probably should just get Pages.

Does Pages allow commenting and preservation of them on export? If so, then that would be a fantastic solution. I didn't think it did that.

edit: According to this page, it doesn't: http://www.apple.com/apps/iwork/pages/compatibility.html

I am intending to use this for grading papers. Reading them, applying comments, and then saving and sending them to the students.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 24, 2013

• Locked thread