Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

slow crow posted:

If you found out that someone you're interested in is a goon or redditor, would you look up their history?

Or is it better to let people be crazy in one small part of their life and not know about it.

You're going to get a mixed response on this, or at least I did when I asked friends about the practice (online searching, regardless of reddit/SA membership).

I did a decent amount of online dating for ~2 years and if I would check out the person's online presence if I was interested in her. It was never more than a quick Google search, maybe 5-10 minutes. Most people I spoke to were against doing it.

Really as long as you're not obsessing about them/things you find I don't see it as an issue. It should be obvious in reflection of your own life that you've changed in the last several years and other people do too.

Also assuming people have some crazy aspect of their personality they're trying to hide isn't a healthy perspective to approach a relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 10, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

slow crow posted:

I'm assuming goons and reditors do. Highly doubt I'm wrong in most cases.

e: Or at least it's easy to read posts on either and think the person writing them is awkward.

If your counterpart does the same he/she now thinks you're some kind of paranoid cyber-stalker. :laffo:

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 10, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I helldump the hell out of everyone for some high-powered personalized negs and I've never had sex.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Is there a good way to get a concise set of blurbs about major events around the world? I've used Google News before but it frequently pops up bullshit I don't need to know about. I only really read the CSM, but there's got to be a convenient and quick source for news.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

N. Senada posted:

Is there a good way to get a concise set of blurbs about major events around the world? I've used Google News before but it frequently pops up bullshit I don't need to know about. I only really read the CSM, but there's got to be a convenient and quick source for news.
Google News is about the best thing I've found for this, but you do have to take some time to customize and train it.

For instance, I have no "entertainment" section, but I do have both a "US Elections" section and a "Mobile Technology" section, and any news story that mentions the word "Kardashian" is automatically filtered out. Over time, it will pick up on what you like to read, and show you more of it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

N. Senada posted:

Reuters' "top news" RSS feed has been my primary news source for a long time. It's a really well-curated source IMO, and it avoids most stupid bullshit. And it also has really excellent long articles sometimes that they call "Analysis" or "Insight" pieces.

http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/topNews
Put into your favourite RSS reader and enjoy. (edit: and on that point, theoldreader is my favourite web-based RSS reader, if you don't have a preference yet)

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 24, 2013

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

N. Senada posted:

The Daily Beat cheat sheet is good. About 10 to 20 daily stories and only 2 or 3 celebrity stories. Also it provides article summaries all on one page.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

They have an incentive to avoid receiving it.
Then... won't they just not sign for it when it arrives? The date/time of delivery has very little control over that.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Thanatosian posted:

any news story that mentions the word "Kardashian" is automatically filtered out.

Then you probably don't know they all got murdered yesterday, house flooded with nerve gas then RPGs launched at each one of them. It's been a pretty big story that someone got some WMDs in the country like that.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

N. Senada posted:

I really like Short Form Blog, they pare everything down into pretty easy to digest things.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 24, 2013

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Is UPS allowed to leave packages in your mailbox? I could have sworn that they weren't able to (at least a few years ago they weren't), but today when I opened the mailbox I had one sitting there. I'm not complaining, I actually prefer it that way for small packages. It's only that I was told before that they weren't allowed to do that.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Alkanos posted:

Is UPS allowed to leave packages in your mailbox? I could have sworn that they weren't able to (at least a few years ago they weren't), but today when I opened the mailbox I had one sitting there. I'm not complaining, I actually prefer it that way for small packages. It's only that I was told before that they weren't allowed to do that.

They aren't allowed to deliver to the mailbox. Was the package send UPS SurePost? Because that uses UPS to get it close to your house, and then they turn the package over to USPS for final delivery.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Smeep posted:

Are online ARGs still a thing, or is that pretty much over?

They do indeed. The pronunciation countdown thread in GBS has just revealed one that had apparently been going on for something like 5 years. And if I read correctly is now tying into another one.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

slow crow posted:

If you found out that someone you're interested in is a goon or redditor, would you look up their history?

Or is it better to let people be crazy in one small part of their life and not know about it.

I was in that situation and I did look at the post history, just to get an idea of what they were in to, but I didn't actually go through and read their posts. If anything had set off alarm bells I probably would have though. It's kind of like looking at someone's Facebook, looking at someone's interests and reading the last couple days of posts isn't that weird, but bringing up something they posted on Facebook two years ago would be.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Also, a question.

I have two TVs in my living room. I have a cable box and a play station in my living room. Sometimes I want the cable hooked up to one TV and the play station on the other, and sometimes vice versa. Is there an HDMI hub/switch/whatever that will let me plug two inputs in, two outputs out, and let me switch which input feeds which output? Both would have to work at the same time.

I know I could do it with 6 HDMI cables and two 1-2 switches, I was just hoping to avoid that.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Also, a question.

I have two TVs in my living room. I have a cable box and a play station in my living room. Sometimes I want the cable hooked up to one TV and the play station on the other, and sometimes vice versa. Is there an HDMI hub/switch/whatever that will let me plug two inputs in, two outputs out, and let me switch which input feeds which output? Both would have to work at the same time.

I know I could do it with 6 HDMI cables and two 1-2 switches, I was just hoping to avoid that.

There are active and passive hdmi splitters, I've never used either I'd imagine the active part deals with the fact that there can be (maybe always?) 2 way communication over an hdmi cable.

I'd guess you could put one splitter on the playstation and one on the cable box. Run a cable from each splitter to each tv (assuming each tv has 2 inputs) and then just use the tv remotes to switch.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=101&cp_id=10113

Still going to have to use like 6 cables unless you get pigtailed splitters but you should be able to get cables for $2-3 from monoprice and this way you get to use the remote.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 24, 2013

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
People who work 9-5 jobs is your lunch added to your work day or part of it? I'm trying to figure out if my 9-6 schedule is normal. We work eight hours a day, but the hour lunch is added, so we're here for nine hours.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

BJPaskoff posted:

People who work 9-5 jobs is your lunch added to your work day or part of it? I'm trying to figure out if my 9-6 schedule is normal. We work eight hours a day, but the hour lunch is added, so we're here for nine hours.

Yeah, "9 to 5" haven't really been normal working hours for some time, at least not in salaried/desk job type workplaces. It's either 8 to 5, 9 to 6, or you can skip lunch.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

I work 8 hours, and I get a 30 min paid lunch. If there's an emergency while I'm eating, I need to take care of it.

Some other folks at my job work an 8 1/2 hour day, and get a 30 min unpaid lunch, so they don't have to worry about getting interrupted.

For the rare occasions that my lunch gets disturbed with calls, I'd rather risk it then have to stay an extra 1/2 hour at work.

Check your local labour laws. Most places legally require a lunch break after a certain number of hours worked.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BJPaskoff posted:

That is normal, although most places do 8-5 and not 9-6. Or 8:30-5 with a half hour lunch like at my job.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A few questions, preceded by some words.

I filled out an application online for Walmart almost two months ago and I got a call back today about some third shift position openings. I have an interview scheduled tomorrow at 1:15PM. I was told casual dress, not jeans or tennis shoes.

Does someone really have to be told no jeans or tennis shoes for a job interview? Yes, I understand that this is Walmart.

I was thinking of wearing a pair of khakis, long sleeved button down and a pair of dress shoes. Which through some Googling tells me that this is business casual attire. Am I correct with my clothing choices?

Assuming that this is probably for a over night stocking position, what are the chances that my height might hurt the chances of getting the job as even as a customer, reaching to top shelves in the store are extremely difficult for me? I am 5'6"~5'7".

Edit: unrelated question about job.

Should I track how many moles I have on my body? I stay inside a LOT and I think I'm getting more moles than I had when I was like in my teens. My sister has a lot of moles as well. Not moles like bugles from the skin, just black and brown colored spots.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 25, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I do interviews for a manufacturing job that's probably on roughly the same level as Walmart in terms of decorum and I'd say 80% wear jeans and tennis shoes.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I work at a grocery store, and one of the other people interviewing at the same time as me was wearing a black dress shirt and tie, with beige sweatpants and dirty, untied sneakers. :psyduck:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

SlayVus posted:

Should I track how many moles I have on my body? I stay inside a LOT and I think I'm getting more moles than I had when I was like in my teens. My sister has a lot of moles as well. Not moles like bugles from the skin, just black and brown colored spots.

A poster in my dermatologist's office said you should always take note of new moles and changes (size, height, color) to existing moles. It doesn't mean you should worry, necessarily, but maybe talk to your doctor about it next time you get a check up.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Slayvus, your planned outfit sounds fine, and your height will be no issue because people use ladders when stocking so they can get product all the way back on the shelves.

As for moles, my brother and I each keep a mole map, because there's lots of skin cancer history on both sides of our family. It's not a big whoop to update, though honestly someone should probably make an app to do it.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Sieg posted:

They aren't allowed to deliver to the mailbox. Was the package send UPS SurePost? Because that uses UPS to get it close to your house, and then they turn the package over to USPS for final delivery.

Nope, wasn't that because the USPS driver drove up to the house to drop off a different package earlier that day. Guess I just had a slightly lazy UPS guy this time. :v:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Is it against the rules to have goatse as my listed homepage?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thechosenone posted:

Is it against the rules to have goatse as my listed homepage?

Yeah, this is strictly a tubgirl shop.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So is that a yes? I don't want to go and blow :10bux: over a joke on my part.

Edit: as in I don't want to make a bad joke and get banned for breaking the rules.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 25, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Pm lowtax and ask.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

SlayVus posted:

This is something that gets drummed into us in Australia, since skin cancer is so common here, thanks to the big hole in the ozone layer combined with hot climate. Yes, you should absolutely track your moles. If you get free health care where you are, or any of them look odd, go to the doctor and have them all checked. Then make note of what each of them look like. If any change appearance, go to the GP as soon as you reasonably can. It's not quite emergency room material, but it's something you shouldn't drag your heels on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thechosenone posted:

So is that a yes? I don't want to go and blow :10bux: over a joke on my part.

Edit: as in I don't want to make a bad joke and get banned for breaking the rules.

If you're not willing to risk getting banned for showing the world your obvious gift of sharp wit then I don't know what to tell you man

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm 100% real with you when I say that if I was browsing a profile and saw a link to goatse I would just step back slack jawed and let slip "whoa".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

N. Senada posted:

I like the Al Jazeera English RSS feed. I have Calibre set up to automatically download it and send it to my Kindle so I can read it on the tram.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I'm 100% real with you when I say that if I was browsing a profile and saw a link to goatse I would just step back slack jawed and let slip "whoa".

good point. Thanks for helping me realize what I honestly should have just assumed. I am sorry if I sounded like a jerk. Thank you.

(seriously I am sorry for being an idiot about this I do not even know how I ever thought it would be a good idea)

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Are word association tests a thing? or is it gobbledegook?

Is there somewhere (useful) online I can try one?

Disclaimer: I know I could google it but a real person with experience will know better and I cant be arsed digging through 10 million sites out to make money or make me a scientologist.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Electric razors. Which is better -- the rotary-head kind or the foil kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a term for a joke that you have to know a real specific set of completely unrelated random facts, maybe be within a certain time period to get? Not an in-joke, you don't have to be a member of a specific group or highly-intelligent or anything to get, just be able to know + connect these facts in some way.

My example that I find hilarious and I thought of today for some reason + tried to explain to a friend was the phrase "Siri, tell me how to make bomb-rear end food in a pressure-cooker". He didn't get despite my best efforts to explain.

This was a joke someone made in the boston-bombings thread when a screencap of some 24x7 news channel was shown where the channel's tech guys hosed up a name or had a copy/paste fuckup and typed in on the news-crawler: "surviving bombing suspect at large identified as 19 year old zooey deschanel".

To get the joke you'd have to know that:

1. Boston bombing was carried out with pressure-cooker bombs (optimistic when I say less than half the us population knew this fact at the time)

2. One 19 y.o. bomber was still breathing and being pursued (optimistic when I say less than half the us population knew this fact at the time)

3. Zooey Deschanel made a commercial for siri that was one of the most mpdg* idiotic drooling "do you have to remember to breathe?" moments on television. (yes she's hot but it's no excuse here. A bit less %, knew her name + remembered siri ad + that it was her in ad)

4. have to know about the cable-news fuckup (<1% knew)

?? I just typed 2x as much explaining the joke as I did asking my stupid/small question, and 25x as much as the joke itself.

edit: * Friends is on and it made me wonder if Lisa Kudrow/Phoebe is the original patient-0 mpdg. I found her looks and antics cute when I was 16 for some reason and I wished I could get in her narrow pants, tonight I wish I had plenty of ammo and a time machine.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 25, 2013