Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

i am not so sure posted:

I'm doing the mission where there's a tow truck and garbage truck involved and it leads to a big shootout with the cops. All I need to do now is kill snipers with Trevor. I've killed two already but apparently there are "tons" of them "on the roof opposite you, T." I've been looking around for ten minutes and there are NO snipers, confirmed. Is this a glitch or something or am I not looking in the right spot?

I remember there were three, all on the same roof but in different spots. Just shoot a rocket or something for safety, maybe. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

i am not so sure posted:

I'm doing the mission where there's a tow truck and garbage truck involved and it leads to a big shootout with the cops. All I need to do now is kill snipers with Trevor. I've killed two already but apparently there are "tons" of them "on the roof opposite you, T." I've been looking around for ten minutes and there are NO snipers, confirmed. Is this a glitch or something or am I not looking in the right spot?

I don't remember exactly where the roof is located to where you are, but I also couldn't find them all. There are 3. 2 on the left, 1 on the right of the roof.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just spent 8 hours finding both sets of collectables. This game.

Is there anything specific I need to do to trigger the next Epsilon mission after the one where I deliver the 5 cars? After the last one nothing new has happened, but I can see from the checklist there's a bunch more. I've watched the presentation and I donated the money and the robes are still out of stock. What am I missing?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like how that whole Debra and Floyd trip is a lot like Quentin Tarantino's "Is there a sign on my lawn..." scene in Pulp Fiction only everything goes wrong instead of right.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i am not so sure posted:

I had trouble with this as well. It's not just the roof opposite, they are on the building to your left as well. I think after you have killed the initial ones some more climb up- I definitely killed one dude as he was climbing a ladder to a rooftop.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Who Dat posted:

I don't know why people think Rockstar isn't ballsy enough to add a mall, or maybe a college (no early year schools because they'll never add kids to the game). They made a game called State of Emergency, which I bought and played, that was pretty much all about murdering large groups of people in malls.

This is from a while ago, but FYI there is a mini UCLA in this game. It's all of three buildings but it is there.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

DangerDummy! posted:

It's Johnny Knoxville for me. His character model, his voice, his line delivery, his mannerisms... It's uncanny.

He's more of a walter sobchak with beetlejuice and some meth thrown in to me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

i am not so sure posted:

I was able to switch to Franklin and target the third sniper with my carbine, for what its worth.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

It's Johnny Knoxville for me. His character model, his voice, his line delivery, his mannerisms... It's uncanny.

I kept feeling this through the entire game. Figured I was the only one.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

There might be other places to grab one before that mission, but a parachute can be found on the cable car platform on top of mount Chiliad.

You can't pick it up. I found this one and haven't beat whatever mission opens them up and I could not do anything to actually grab it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Obsurveyor posted:

You can't pick it up. I found this one and haven't beat whatever mission opens them up and I could not do anything to actually grab it.

Yeah, parachutes are locked off for story progress. Trevor has a mission that involves them, and once you do it, you can wear parachutes, pick up parachutes, buy parachutes, and automatically get parachutes whenever you get into an airborne vehicle.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Obsurveyor posted:

I picked it up within the first ~3-4 missions with Franklin, so uhh...

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hockles posted:

I don't remember exactly where the roof is located to where you are, but I also couldn't find them all. There are 3. 2 on the left, 1 on the right of the roof.

Mission won't continue unless I kill them all. I restarted and killed three and there are more. They are not there...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

i am not so sure posted:

Mission won't continue unless I kill them all. I restarted and killed three and there are more. They are not there...

Do you have the thermal scope by then?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I picked it up within the first ~3-4 missions with Franklin, so uhh...

Maybe mine was bugged. I ran into that specific one mentioned last night and I tried everything to pick it up. Ran over it, pressed LB(same as for gas cans) and other random buttons, ran away and came back, etc. and it just silently flashed, mocking me.

But then, I also never had to buy a dedicated garage like other people are talking about. They were unlocked for all three characters right at the beginning.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
Trevor is totally Beetlejuice. The voice, the actions. I just need a black/white suit and to be able to dye the hair.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Lord Ephraim posted:

Any tips on stealing a fighter jet out of the military base? I tried parachuting in but I get gunned down when I try entering the plane. If I take any longer shooting down guys around the plane, tanks appear and blow me up. The one instance I did manage to get one off the ground, I was instantly hit by a missile.

I was thinking about purchasing a tank, but I don't want it despawning, wasting what little money I have left.

I read about using Franklin and slow mo driving something super fast to the hangar and hoping a jet with an open canopy spawns.

I really wish I could use his ability while on a bicycle. :(

stuart scott irl posted:

I don't see a downside to having multiple pistols/submachine guns when you can choose which one comes up in the weapons wheel by default using the D-Pad

How the gently caress did I not know this? :cripes:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 24, 2013

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hey so I am right at the end I assume (just done the big score) and now I have a choice of 3 endings. During the cutscene beforehand with Steve Haines Franklin mentioned that the FIB had already asked him to kill Trevor. When the hell did that happen? <<< pretty big endgame spoilers

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bown posted:

hey so I am right at the end I assume (just done the big score) and now I have a choice of 3 endings. During the cutscene beforehand with Steve Haines Franklin mentioned that the FIB had already asked him to kill Trevor. When the hell did that happen? <<< pretty big endgame spoilers

Well. Story misssion spoiler

Remember when you went to go to save Lamar? When you back to your Aunt's Crib, after talking to him you run into Haines and Davey and they ask you for a favor about Trevor and Franklin immediately recognizes they are asking him to whack Trevor.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

So I was trying to fly through the wind farms with a helicopter, and I just had to stop at the top of the hill to take a pic of the gorgeous view, this game really does look pretty in spite of the hardware:

In the same area, I also found a trailer right out in the desert which I'm pretty sure is a breaking bad reference?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Well. Story misssion spoiler

Remember when you went to go to save Lamar? When you back to your Aunt's Crib, after talking to him you run into Haines and Davey and they ask you for a favor about Trevor and Franklin immediately recognizes they are asking him to whack Trevor.

oh, thank you!!! I completely forgot about them in that scene. Well, this story is super disappointing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
For everyone disappointed in the story, what exactly were you expecting? It causes some minor gameplay issues money sucks but I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through.

Also I dare anyone to tell me that the letter scrap in the hedge maze isn't an LA Noire callback.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Starks posted:

So I was trying to fly through the wind farms with a helicopter, and I just had to stop at the top of the hill to take a pic of the gorgeous view, this game really does look pretty in spite of the hardware:

I was really impressed that despite playing through the whole game and thinking it's all just jaw droppingly beautiful, the one thing that really killed it for me was in the credits sequence: The skyline with thunder, with the light coming through between the buildings. Good call by R* putting that in that sequence because I'm not sure I would've seen it organically.

That and the sunsets are insane.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

For everyone disappointed in the story, what exactly were you expecting? It causes some minor gameplay issues money sucks but I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through.

It's okay by its own merits, although way too much of it is "the FIB are jerks the end", but compared to the massive scope and epic feel of the 9-year-old San Andreas' plot it just feels so tiny, despite the huge world it inhabits.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

i am not so sure posted:

It is very possible that in my quick-auto-target switching that I killed a few of the other snipers on other rooftops. Those are just the ones I sniped.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

If you guys aren't exclusively listening to Bootsy on Space103.2 then y'all are loving up, baaaaaaaaby! :2bong:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Bown posted:

It's okay by its own merits, although way too much of it is "the FIB are jerks the end", but compared to the massive scope and epic feel of the 9-year-old San Andreas' plot it just feels so tiny, despite the huge world it inhabits.

For me it's that it goes from the saga of a bunch of criminals robbing banks to the exact same tired old GTA story of a bunch of dicks make you jump through hoops: The Game, and it results in the heists, the most interesting part of the entire game, having absolutely no reward. It makes the whole thing come off with all the grandeur of a wet fart.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Bown posted:

I think a lot of the "epic quest" feel of GTA:SA is how they had 3, maybe 4, distinct areas and story portions where you were forced to live and play in just one of them until a return to the main one.

GTAV really has 2 distinct areas that kind of contain neighborhoods in themselves and the exile and return never feel like you've been chased out of town or making a triumphant return.

On the other hand I think LS in this game is the perfect size for a GTA urban area. I feel like I could eventually learn it. I never even tried with GTA4 because the city is massive and the neighborhoods are hard to tell apart. I already have at least 3 areas in my head for LS that I could recall and get to without the GPS.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Beastie posted:

If you guys aren't exclusively listening to Bootsy on Space103.2 then y'all are loving up, baaaaaaaaby! :2bong:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Okay, so, here is how you get WAAAY more than enough money to buy all the properties in the game, very very easily.

Don't do the assassination missions. Beat the game, finish the final heist and post-heist mission, get all your money. Then do the assassination missions and invest properly. Make sure that after the first company you invested in peaks, you sell everything and then invest in the company that tanked. It'll bounce back HUGE after a long time. I didn't consider this early and did the first assassination mission, so I didn't get to apply that one to this plan. I did the second assassination mission (of 5) and made sure to invest properly on all 3 characters, and now EACH CHARACTER has over 200 million. So yeah, anybody sweating the expensive properties, don't. I expect to have several billion by the time I do all the assassination missions.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

cams posted:

Okay, so, here is how you get WAAAY more than enough money to buy all the properties in the game, very very easily.

Don't do the assassination missions. Beat the game, finish the final heist and post-heist mission, get all your money. Then do the assassination missions and invest properly. Make sure that after the first company you invested in peaks, you sell everything and then invest in the company that tanked. It'll bounce back HUGE after a long time. I didn't consider this early and did the first assassination mission, so I didn't get to apply that one to this plan. I did the second assassination mission (of 5) and made sure to invest properly on all 3 characters, and now EACH CHARACTER has over 200 million. So yeah, anybody sweating the expensive properties, don't. I expect to have several billion by the time I do all the assassination missions.

You have to do the first assassination for story purposes anyway - the most you can make off of it is around 200k on trevor and franlin, 700k on michael, depending on your first heist take

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Don't you think somoene would investigate the person who bough 1020308 stocks on company X the day before its competitor crashes?

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

A c E posted:

Trevor is totally Beetlejuice. The voice, the actions. I just need a black/white suit and to be able to dye the hair.

Now it's been said I can't help but see Trevor as Bettlejuice.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Don't you think somoene would investigate the person who bough 1020308 stocks on company X the day before its competitor crashes?

oh poo poo here comes the SCE

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

stuart scott irl posted:

oh poo poo here comes the SCE

Let's hope you can escape them by hiding in the bushes.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This game definitely spends way too much time on the FIB bullshit, I don't think anybody expected half the game to be taken up by it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Grab Meatcastle posted:

I just spent 8 hours finding both sets of collectables. This game.

Is there anything specific I need to do to trigger the next Epsilon mission after the one where I deliver the 5 cars? After the last one nothing new has happened, but I can see from the checklist there's a bunch more. I've watched the presentation and I donated the money and the robes are still out of stock. What am I missing?

It's bugged for some people, myself included. The rockstar support page says they're looking into it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Have you guys had any success stealing the tank from the military base? I find it gets destroyed before I can get too far down the highway, the engine is really pretty fragile.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

I read about using Franklin and slow mo driving something super fast to the hangar and hoping a jet with an open canopy spawns.

I really wish I could use his ability while on a bicycle. :(

The four ways I know of, between last thread/the internet/my own experience, in ascending order of pain-in-the-rear end:

1. Parachute directly to one of the jets parked in a hangar, descending as fast as possible and trying to land within 10 feet of the jet.
2. Take some tunnel that starts near the prison and spits you out in a place where you can jump the fence in a dirtbike or whatever, ideally landing very close to the jet. I've yet to try this so I'm not sure what the geography is.
3. Use a fast car, go in through the front gate using Franklin's ability, make a right after the gate, through the fence and to the second hangar with a jet in it so you can delay the response until you've basically gotten in the jet. This method potentially sucks because Franklin sucks at flying, doesn't have a spot to store it afaik, and is not Trevor.
4. (my method) Use a semi-trailer, rig the trailer with C4, drive in the front gate using the same route as the Franklin method and pick a spot to detach (and subsequently detonate) the trailer where it clogs up the road to the hangars. Park the cab where it will soak up gunfire (i.e. perpendicular to the hangar), take out any soldiers that are shooting at you before you start to get in. Most of the army guys and tanks are behind the hangars along that road, so use that to your advantage when parking the cab and trying to figure out who to deal with because if the police helicopter shows up and you haven't taken off yet you're pretty much hosed.

Also:
-Make sure you have full body armor
-As a general rule I go for the planes in the hangars since they don't take as much gunfire/aren't as prone to getting hit by tank shells
-I also fly north over the mountain and into the valley to shake missile fire, someone else said to try the ocean but I'm not sure why that would be significantly better than the land
-If your engine is smoking when you take off, fly as high as possible because it will eventually die on you and you'll have to bail
-Keep in mind the F-22 or whatever the game calls it barely requires any room to taxi and take off, you should be able to leave the ground within 20 feet of the hangar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I really wish the game had a Heist Designer mode. Even if it was just as simple as 'retrieve thing from here, get x wanted rating, escape to here'.

• Locked thread