Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The $10,000 or so we pay a year for our Sophos email spam appliance has paid for itself for this virus. I checked and there are tons of these emails being blocked. We don't allow end users to release spam emails either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In reality I can't help but chuckle that in the year 2013, some big news malware still involves a regular email being sent, and requires the user actually open the attachment.

It's like a typical user is still back in 1995.

e: Wasn't supposed to sound like an "I'm better than them" post. Just a comment on how computer education/literacy either hasn't changed or doesn't exist.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In reality I can't help but chuckle that in the year 2013, some big news malware still involves a regular email being sent, and requires the user actually open the attachment.

Cryptolocker: Melissa's angrier daughter.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I am not 100% it's crypto, but given the way crypto has been operating I'm fairly certain it is. That's why I was asking if anyone had a trashbox to try it with

edit: Someone's already sent this attachment to malwarebytes, they haven't verified what it is yet though. All the dates I can find googling are from today so this email is brand new.

Dead Cow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2013

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

skipdogg posted:

A long time ago .local was a recommended way to set up a domain.

Basically there are zero good reasons to use a .local these days and plenty of reasons not to.

Woah! I did not know this. Thanks for the tip. (One of those folks who use .local chiming in.)

Once upon a time, proper AD configuration was mycorp.com, but then that caused DNS issues if you had an external web space called mycorp.com. Then it was mycorp.local but apparently that causes Lync issues and SSL won't be supported past 11/2015.

Now apparently it's blahblah.company.com. I wonder what that will break and when it will break it?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

e: Wasn't supposed to sound like an "I'm better than them" post. Just a comment on how computer education/literacy either hasn't changed or doesn't exist.

To be fair,from what I've seen, just like how the UPS/FedEx spoof emails worked, these new ones are relying on catching people clicking on links they've been conditioned to click on. If you have a xerox scanner and you scan often, you may not be checking every single one that comes across your desk and just click the link out of rote habits.

If this eFax one is crypto, it's along the same thing. I work for a company that gets a lot of faxes, however we have really really good users here and the user who forwarded this to me noticed something off about it. If we had dumb users, then I can totally see "we get faxes all the time!" and then don't bother to double check.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Dead Cow posted:

Think I've got a crypto email, anyone have a trashbox and want the link so they can open it and play with it?

I wouldn't mind, I've got loads of trashboxes I could load up with this.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Dead Cow posted:

To be fair,from what I've seen, just like how the UPS/FedEx spoof emails worked, these new ones are relying on catching people clicking on links they've been conditioned to click on. If you have a xerox scanner and you scan often, you may not be checking every single one that comes across your desk and just click the link out of rote habits.

If this eFax one is crypto, it's along the same thing. I work for a company that gets a lot of faxes, however we have really really good users here and the user who forwarded this to me noticed something off about it. If we had dumb users, then I can totally see "we get faxes all the time!" and then don't bother to double check.

Attacking the weakest part of the security chain -- the human in front of the keyboard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In my experience there are a huge amount of people who not only don't understand any of the software they are required to use to perform their job function, they also have absolutely no desire to understand it either. I've also been unfortunate enough to work with some people who are almost proud that they can't use the tools they are given effectively, and see IT as being their personal assistants whenever they can't be hosed to use a help file. Unless you move to a system based on an app whitelist you are always going to have people running things that an email in badly formed English told them to.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

With my last day here approaching fast, my boss has finally gotten into his head that maybe he should have some idea of what we have in the racks and how it is setup. Wonder how long it will take before they call me asking questions?

Between that and being told that it takes too long for our parent company to send us a video file so they are going to send us a loaner DVCPro deck. How big of a file can it be if they can't throw it on a internal ftp site? Not like it is a multi-hour uncompressed ultra hd video, it's a hour long wrestling show.

And does anyone have a recommendation for a book on SNMP? I probably should start learning something about it for my new position.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
A ticket came in...

:downs: Sorry, should have used Help Desk.

:banjo: #close No problem!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Oddhair posted:

I wouldn't mind, I've got loads of trashboxes I could load up with this.

The link for it is in that image I posted in the hoverover. Let me know what you find!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

diremonk posted:

And does anyone have a recommendation for a book on SNMP? I probably should start learning something about it for my new position.

I don't know about a book, but I'd suggest getting GetIf and turning on SNMP on your workstation or laptop and start collecting counter values, learning about MIB files and traps. Google is your friend here.

For a relatively easy and well-documented monitoring system to play around with SNMP stats, check out MRTG on the web. Install ActivePerl and then download MRTG and read the docs and you'll be pretty solid on your SNMP skills.

Going further into advanced stuff would be learning about trap management and writing your own MIBs. You can check out the free edition of PRTG. It's free forever, but is limited to ten sensors - but it's good enough to get you familiar with SNMP operations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
"a programmer expects their corporate office to insist on a change to something (anything at all) on every presentation to show that they're participating, so a programmer adds an element they expect corporate to remove on purpose."

Love it.

Question: Those of you who map drives to a DFS share, have you ever had any trouble with file conflicts? I have two designers who work on the same files out of a single DFS share and I kind of feel that its only a matter of time before they open the same file at the same time and cause a conflict.

Swink fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 25, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Caged posted:

In my experience there are a huge amount of people who not only don't understand any of the software they are required to use to perform their job function, they also have absolutely no desire to understand it either. I've also been unfortunate enough to work with some people who are almost proud that they can't use the tools they are given effectively, and see IT as being their personal assistants whenever they can't be hosed to use a help file. Unless you move to a system based on an app whitelist you are always going to have people running things that an email in badly formed English told them to.

There are a lot of people who can't grasp the fact that the computer isn't just a box full of chaos. I think (hope) we all understand that it's a logic engine and you put something in, it gets transformed in a specific way, and then you get your output.

To most people, you do something on the computer and hope that it doesn't just burst into flames because nobody knows or understands what actually happens in there.

It's also why when you teach people how to fix a specific problem, they will use it for anything that possibly will ever come up.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Alternatively we just give up, call ourselves Tech Priests, and take over Mars.

Mysteries and the Warnings posted:

The Mysteries of the Cult Mechanicus

Life is directed motion.
The spirit is the spark of life.
Sentience is the ability to learn the value of knowledge.
Intellect is the understanding of knowledge.
Sentience is the basest form of Intellect.
Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.
Comprehension is the key to all things.
The Omnissiah knows all, comprehends all.

The Warnings of the Cult Mechanicus

The alien mechanism is a perversion of the True Path.
The soul is the conscience of sentience.
A soul can be bestowed only by the Omnissiah.
The Soulless sentience (i.e. Necrons) is the enemy of all.
The knowledge of the ancients stands beyond question.
The Machine Spirit guards the knowledge of the Ancients.
Flesh is fallible, but ritual honours the Machine Spirit.
To break with ritual is to break with faith.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I ever get to pick my own title, I am totally going with Tech Priest.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

We use companyname.internal and it works well. I don't think (hope :ohdear: ) .internal will get issued anytime soon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inspector_71 posted:

I ever get to pick my own title, I am totally going with Tech Priest.

Enginseer?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
In the grim dark future of the 21st century, there are only tickets.

:commissar:

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

I used .lan for my intranet because it was short. Works fine, except everyone keeps asking who Ian is.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Volmarias posted:

In the grim dark future of the 21st century, there are only tickets.

:commissar:

Bugs for the bug god! :black101:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Charun posted:

I used .lan for my intranet because it was short. Works fine, except everyone keeps asking who Ian is.

I don't particularly care about .lan or .internal or any other intranet names that won't be valid in 2015, but what pisses me off greatly is people using the top level companyname.com domain as their internal AD. The problem is it's one of those things that MOSTLY doesn't cause issues, so people think it's fine, but the issues it does cause with essentially having to set up split DNS inside the company are a pain in the rear end and could have easily been avoided by following best practices (which no one knows) and doing ad. or internal.companyname.com. I mean of all the things not to understand how it works, DNS is the simplest. Really. It's not loving difficult. Setting up a cert authority? That's a pain in the rear end, mostly because correcting mistakes after you've made them is a royal bitch (WHOOPS TIME TO RESTART FROM SCRATCH). But DNS? Come on.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Swink posted:

Question: Those of you who map drives to a DFS share, have you ever had any trouble with file conflicts? I have two designers who work on the same files out of a single DFS share and I kind of feel that its only a matter of time before they open the same file at the same time and cause a conflict.

DFS is simple last-write-wins and it has no mechanism for dealing with a file being edited in two different locations. We use it with multiple targets enabled for home folders where only 1 person is going to be accessing the files, but any shares where more than one person accesses the data should only have 1 target enabled unless you like pain.

Scribble
Jan 11, 2002

Plastic crotch means no hair stuck in teeth!! it is a lesbilego miracle!

Swink posted:

We use PeerLock to get around this. Works well and is pretty cheap. http://www.peersoftware.com/solutions/file-locking-for-ms-dfsr.html

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Bugs for the bug god! :black101:

Scripts for the throne of Cron! :black101:

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Got a question for the IT professionals who have established a career in the business.

I recently switched careers after five years working as a writer, and took a Support Analyst position (mostly helpdesk)for a small company that is rapidly expanding. I make perhaps 10% of what the company charges for my services, per the hourly rate. I am getting good experience working with small business infrastructure, including DC's, SQL servers and webhosting, But I work about 50 hours a week and occasionally on Saturday with a lot of travel. I also have no certifications and a Bachelors of Arts degree.

My question is, how much am I getting jobbed with my low salary, even though its an entry-level position, and what is best for me to do to further my career? My plan is to basically continue being the good soldier, keeping my mouth shut and picking up a couple basic Comptia certifications, then looking elsewhere after six months and getting some experience for my resume. My eagerness to learn and ambition to progress in IT work to my detriment in this position, so I am unsure how to proceed.

Thanks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
How long have you been in this job?

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003

guppy posted:

How long have you been in this job?

One month. I posted this in this thread instead of Working in IT 2.0 because I guess I am kind of complaining, but the discrepancy between what I am paid and what the company charges seems so large. It's better than Geek Squad, I'm just wondering if everyone starts in IT working all of the time and making little or if this is excessive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There was a similar discussion recently in the working in IT thread about what people get paid vs. what they are billed out at. Basically it doesn't get you anywhere to compare the two because there are so many overheads involved. The only valid comparison you can make is what else people doing your job get paid in your area.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm still early in my career, so I'll defer to others, but that first job to get your foot in the door in the industry is critical. You can go shopping, but I'd give it a bit. Experience talks in the field, and if you can deal with the low pay for now -- especially if you're learning -- getting a year or two on your resume will help you a lot. And leaving a job after a month or two looks bad.

EDIT: Also that ^^^. And you said you were a writer, is this your first job working for other people? You always make a fraction of what the organization does.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

guppy posted:

And leaving a job after a month or two looks bad.

This is not necessarily true - lots of jobs are just bad fits that one or both of the two parties don't realize until they've already hired.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Technomancer(R)

(I actually owned technomancers.org at one point when I was sure I was going to make my own IT support business.)

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 25, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

guppy posted:

And leaving a job after a month or two looks bad.

Eh depends on the history, if I saw on the resume 1 job that was worked a month, I'd probably ask why someone left. If I saw a consistency of 1-3 months worked and left at multiple jobs, I would probably pass over the resume.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good points. I still think it might be good for him to stay there for a bit, though, based on what he said. He's learning things and, especially for a first job, I think it will help him to get the work time on his resume.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

Got a question for the IT professionals who have established a career in the business.

I recently switched careers after five years working as a writer, and took a Support Analyst position (mostly helpdesk)for a small company that is rapidly expanding. I make perhaps 10% of what the company charges for my services, per the hourly rate.

This is completely normal, especially as you're at what sounds like some sort of consulting or staffing company (Based on saying that the company charges for your services). I will echo the advice above - don't compare what they're charging for you, compare what others in your area are making.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

I recently switched careers after five years working as a writer, and took a Support Analyst position (mostly helpdesk)for a small company that is rapidly expanding. I make perhaps 10% of what the company charges for my services, per the hourly rate. I am getting good experience working with small business infrastructure, including DC's, SQL servers and webhosting, But I work about 50 hours a week and occasionally on Saturday with a lot of travel. I also have no certifications and a Bachelors of Arts degree.

My question is, how much am I getting jobbed with my low salary, even though its an entry-level position, and what is best for me to do to further my career? My plan is to basically continue being the good soldier, keeping my mouth shut and picking up a couple basic Comptia certifications, then looking elsewhere after six months and getting some experience for my resume. My eagerness to learn and ambition to progress in IT work to my detriment in this position, so I am unsure how to proceed.

Thanks.

The question I have is for the travel you need to do for work, are you paid mileage or something similar for that or do they treat that as part of your wage?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This is why you don't give users admin rights.

quote:

Clint cannot some help programs such as Windows Help. We may need to replace the help executables (winhlp32.exe or hh.exe) …
edit: This guy isn't in IT.

quote:

I have done some research and tried troubleshooting Clint’s computer. I was able to re-register hhctrl.ocx (help program related) successfully. But that did not solve the problem. When I tried to replace those executables, it said the program is in use even though no program was started. I thought Help Desk staff may have a better idea how to fix this type of problems or more rights than myself… We do not want to reimage it ( I believe that just provide a fresh copy of the system and would not include all custom settings or programs) .
:psyduck:

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 25, 2013

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Magos Technicus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
During one of our many department renames, they asked for input on what our group should be called. I volunteered Office of Applied Technomancy. Since then they have stopped asking me for input on things like that. In a way, I consider that a victory.

Transmechanics would be acceptable for a networking field.

• Locked thread