Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Slim Pickens posted:

:siren:Go exploring!:siren:
Go somewhere vehicles wouldn't usually go. Ride inside of an abandoned hospital, park on the flat section of a long set of stairs, or just go a ways down a footpath.

I didn't remember the current challenge exactly correctly. I thought it was to go somewhere bikes don't usually go, so I snapped this between vineyard rows:

Unfortunately it doesn't count because this vineyard happens to belong to Gallo and they use it to grow 7 tons per acre of chardonnay. That means that the strip between rows has been repeatedly driven by tractors, atv's, mechanical harvesters, and God only knows what else. I thought I'd still post the pic since I like how the rattle can/oem hand guard colors of my bike look next to chardonnay vines in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it counts. I had road-going vehicles in mind, not farm equipment. Unless someone posts a radder one today, you got it.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'd like this challenge to die as soon as possible. I've barely talked myself out of some very stupid situations that would have fulfilled the challenge, and I don't even ride a supermoto.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I say its good too, never seen a motorcycle in between grape vines.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SaNChEzZ posted:

I say its good too, never seen a motorcycle in between grape vines.

I rode it through the grapevine. /
How much longer would it be mine? /
Rode it through the grapevine how much longer would it be my Kawi?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Slim Pickens posted:

I think it counts. I had road-going vehicles in mind, not farm equipment. Unless someone posts a radder one today, you got it.

I'll take it I guess.

Since I work in wine production: :siren:Your bike in front of a wine shop or wine bar.:siren: Bonus points for a super cliché name like Brix or The Winery; double bonus points if you go in and try something you've never heard of before like a white wine from Patrimonio in Corsica or Txakoli in Spain; triple bonus points if you can find Russian River Valley Chardonnay from Gallo and taste what grew around where I took that picture.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Stitecin posted:

I'll take it I guess.

Since I work in wine production: :siren:Your bike in front of a wine shop or wine bar.:siren: Bonus points for a super cliché name like Brix or The Winery; double bonus points if you go in and try something you've never heard of before like a white wine from Patrimonio in Corsica or Txakoli in Spain; triple bonus points if you can find Russian River Valley Chardonnay from Gallo and taste what grew around where I took that picture.

Aww man why couldn't this have been posted nearer the weekend? There's a wine bar called "Planet Of the Grapes" just opposite a bike shop I was going to visit this weekend.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Stitecin posted:

Since I work in wine production: :siren:Your bike in front of a wine shop or wine bar.:siren: Bonus points for a super cliché name like Brix or The Winery.

Dark as gently caress, enhance!

In case it isn't obvious, this is a winery, on Mount Panorama, called Mount Panorama Winery. Couldn't do a tasting as the winery was closed (plus 0 blood alcohol on my learners). Blurry as gently caress second photo cause I'm holding onto the bike with one hand while leaning it over severely trying to aim the headlight onto the sign so you can see poo poo.

Gave me a great excuse to go for a ride at night though :).

To keep the theme going, how about : :siren: Your bike at a primary producer of whatever is available in your region. :siren: Find an orchard, vineyard, farm (livestock or plants), plantation/tree farm, mine, or whatever else you think fits.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hey here's a few. Dunno if they're huge for Kentucky but I see a lot of fields. Was a bit hard to find some tho cause it's mid harvest, there were a lot of empty fields.

Some soybeans on the left and corn ready on the right. Guy who owns em in the middle.

Baccy gone yeller but not in the barn yet. Passed a lot of empty fields and full barns.

Riverbed cornfield that looked nice.

:siren:How's about your bike and a local craft brewery:siren:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 18, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A Seattle goon better get this one, Backfire is tonight and that happens between three craft breweries. I can't make it :(

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

drat, just went to my local one up the road but it was in full production mode with trucks and stuff parked out the front, so I couldn't really park and take a photo. (It's in a very tight, old inner-city location to begin with.) Maybe I'll have to go back at night.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

nsaP posted:

How's about your bike and a local craft brewery

I'm going to get this one when I get off of work in about 5 hours. Hopefully their sign will be lit up.

edit: No more posting from Betamax at 4:15 in the morning after a 16 hour work day.

Russian River Brewing, 3:30 am. The only time you could possibly get a spot out front, and the only time you can read the sign without a haze of American Spirit smoke bellowing out of a crowd insufferable hipsters. The beer kicks rear end though.

:siren:Your bike near an outdoor piece of art you actually like. :siren:

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 20, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

A Seattle goon better get this one, Backfire is tonight and that happens between three craft breweries. I can't make it :(

Oh, drat. I was there, but didn't see the new challenge. Oh well!

I think I saw Slim Pickens wave at me as I rode by, maybe he'll get it!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
All this talk about coulda got it, gonna get it....I coulda just got it too. Out for a night ride but completing your own challenge is lame. Less talk, more doing it!

On the upside I found my next challenge out riding...this one could be difficult. Also found a pretty good 'take your bike where it's not supposed to be' if that one ever comes up again.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Stitecin posted:

[img] http://i.imgur.comkqo6mms.[img]

Russian River Brewing, 3:30 am.

Fix that photo link. I can't see anything!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stitecin posted:

I'm going to get this one when I get off of work in about 5 hours. Hopefully their sign will be lit up.

whoo buddy did you botch that link, but I unbotched it, and looks legit

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Stitecin posted:

:siren:Your bike near an outdoor piece of art you actually like. :siren:

Do memorials count?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

clutchpuck posted:

poo poo, I was there last night. And at Hilliards too. And at the new NW brewery. But no pictures. :(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Oh, drat. I was there, but didn't see the new challenge. Oh well!

I think I saw Slim Pickens wave at me as I rode by, maybe he'll get it!

I didn't check this thread before heading to Backfire, either. :( I was just about to leave when I saw you looking for a spot to park and was trying to wave you in.

Maybe I'll just have to ride over to the Lenin statue for the new challenge. :ussr:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

freebooter posted:

Do memorials count?

Memorials, murals, statues, architecture, anything as long as you consider it art and you like it.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
so I guess some really sweet Street art like graffiti or wheat pasting would count too, if anybody needs more inspiration....

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hugh Malone posted:

so I guess some really sweet Street art like graffiti or wheat pasting would count too, if anybody needs more inspiration....

Very well. Some really sweet art.

If any of you don't think the F-14 is really sweet art, you are hereby instructed to find a dirty trashcan full of used dog dicks, and eat them.

Also, in case you are filthy heathens incapable of respecting the true splendor of aeronautical artistry, have some backups: the PBY Catalina

Oh, also the A-7 and the F-8. If you're out of F-8s, you're out of fighters.

Just so you know, these planes are HUGE. Like, strap four or six buses to each other and then put wings on them huge. MONSTERS with HUGE engines. Glory even static. It saddens me that they no longer darken our skies with their glorious smoke.

:siren:Your bike on a suspension bridge:siren:
If not suspension, then at least a bridge more than a couple hundred feet long, and not concrete cantilevered. Sorry Midwest, you gotta go an hour out of your way to find something cool.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Just so you know, these planes are HUGE. Like, strap four or six buses to each other and then put wings on them huge. MONSTERS with HUGE engines. Glory even static. It saddens me that they no longer darken our skies with their glorious smoke.

No poo poo. I was up by Suwon AB a while ago, a South Korean Air Base where they still run F-4s. I, of course, was unaware of this as I was puttering around base taking in the sights until one decided to take off on the runway near the loop road.

Holy poo poo those things are loud and bassy as gently caress compared to newer jets, and look just like someone strapped wings and an engine to a Bluebird bus. Too bad I didn't manage to get any pics.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If any of you don't think the F-14 is really sweet art, you are hereby instructed to find a dirty trashcan full of used dog dicks, and eat them.

Did anyone else get the Top Gun theme in their head?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Did anyone else get the Top Gun theme in their head?

Mildly :nws: http://i.imgur.com/7trnyMq.gif :nws:

Also, note the random clutch-grab I never noticed before I started riding :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Very well. Some really sweet art.

No muffler?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Mildly :nws: http://i.imgur.com/7trnyMq.gif :nws:

Also, note the random clutch-grab I never noticed before I started riding :v:

Also notice the tiedown straps at about the same time as the clutch grab. :v:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Slim Pickens posted:

Also notice the tiedown straps at about the same time as the clutch grab. :v:

Ah ha ha ha ha that's awesome. Poor trailered Ninja.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tom cruise couldn't reach the footpegs

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

No muffler?

Correct. Old muffler kept melting my luggage. I got this new one for $0 (plus a $10 tip) at the muffler shop. Then my old luggage suffered a mechanical failure from the nylon straps disintegrating in the sun and now I've got new hard cases!

Also, the planes are facing the opposite direction of a one-way road. I turned around and parked facing the opposite way. I figured I could probably sweet-talk my way out of a ticket from base police.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

and compensated it by wailing on the clutch with wild abandon

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They trailer cars in movies, too. It lets them control lighting and camera placement and lets the actors concentrate on acting instead of driving a car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:siren:Your bike on a suspension bridge:siren:
If not suspension, then at least a bridge more than a couple hundred feet long, and not concrete cantilevered. Sorry Midwest, you gotta go an hour out of your way to find something cool.

Anyone? All of the suspension bridges near me are toll bridges, and one of them even requires me to go to Sweden :barf:

I can grab a picture of my bike on a random non-cantilevered bridge, but I feel this one should go to a true suspension bridge.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Anyone? All of the suspension bridges near me are toll bridges, and one of them even requires me to go to Sweden :barf:

I can grab a picture of my bike on a random non-cantilevered bridge, but I feel this one should go to a true suspension bridge.

No suspension bridges on my island from what I'm aware. And can't legally stop on the harbour bridge.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's a ways away but I'm sure to find one on a road trip I start next monday. There are ones here but non that I'd stop on.

It is purty tho

I'll cross this guy on Monday if no one has found one by then. Traffic is low enough that I'd stop.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 26, 2013

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

"Nearest" suspension bridge is a pedestrian bridge three hours away. No long bridges around either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

alright I'll do it, just have to plan a way of getting a photo on it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok, if not on, how about at least close enough that you could conceivably have ridden on it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Behold, Hammersmith Bridge!

It is a pretty bridge.

Now how about :siren: the tallest building you can find :siren:

Bonus points if it's a grain silo, and/or is so obviously the tallest building around.

Edit- imgur app has really turned to poo poo.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Pic=404...
e: holy gently caress now that's a BRIDGE!

e2: I could ride downtown and put the P in front of the tallest building.... But all you'd see in the pic would be a buncha sidewalk and granite or something (plus my bike obvs)

So im holding out for a sweet grain silo, rice drier, or picturesque small town city hall/ courthouse etc.

Go rural goons!

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 26, 2013

• Locked thread