Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

fondue posted:

Considering all of the other crap I've backed, I had to go in on this too.
I think he noticed you guys. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
^^^^^^^^^
He makes a new update every time he gets a new backer. It's adorable. :allears:

Zybourne Clock posted:

Bicycle Playing Cards and Internet Memes. You'd expect such a KickStarter to get funded within minutes of its release, but judging by the low number of backers so far the Internet thinks the concept it a little bit played out.

You mean Bicycle Cards and Internet Meme. For Rage Comics are but a single meme, and the absolute nadir of played-out internet memes at that.
Which is a shame because I would probably purchase a deck of cards with a bunch of goofy-looking Shiba Inus on them.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Guys, if we want this to be successful let's do it. Goon Project time, we got 9 days to raise 5,940 dollars. I'm in for 25, who'll match me!

I just tossed in 25$ as well to Doobie's Dog House

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I hope Doobie's Dog House makes it.

Only problem I see is that there is no way he can afford a bathroom and a fryer hood on $6000. $6000 would probably not even pay for either one of those individually, unless things are insanely cheap in Reform, Alabama. I think he'll have to drop the hood for now, and sell fries farther on down the road.

Unless we can get him up to $15,000.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

I hope Doobie's Dog House makes it.

Only problem I see is that there is no way he can afford a bathroom and a fryer hood on $6000. $6000 would probably not even pay for either one of those individually, unless things are insanely cheap in Reform, Alabama. I think he'll have to drop the hood for now, and sell fries farther on down the road.

Unless we can get him up to $15,000.

I have seen fryer hood go for 1,500 at my local restore (I love my local restore), but that is a really good deal that might not come again.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Shwqa posted:

I have seen fryer hood go for 1,500 at my local restore (I love my local restore), but that is a really good deal that might not come again.

Yeah, that is a great deal. I feel happy for the guy who needed a hood and stumbled upon that.

But I'm bundling the cost of a fire suppression system, and installation of both the hood and fire suppression system into my estimate for Doobie Dogs pushing $6000.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Yeah, that is a great deal. I feel happy for the guy who needed a hood and stumbled upon that.

But I'm bundling the cost of a fire suppression system, and installation of both the hood and fire suppression system into my estimate for Doobie Dogs pushing $6000.

Have you no faith in Doobie Dogs?

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

SoundMonkey posted:

And their frito based side dish?

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

SoundMonkey posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

His fries are going to be microwaved. And hidden under processed cheese food. Budget problems solved.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

If not for the shameful cheese I might actually eat one of these.

If this gets funded I guess I'll have to get him to give my five free combos to homeless people or something, I hope they don't get sick.

EDIT: Actually that would be the best thing. Project gets funded, almost none of the backers are actually able to claim their reward, donate to local homeless, Doobie Dogs goes down in history as one of Alabama's great philanthropists.

SoundMonkey has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Sep 24, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Bicycle Playing Cards and Internet Memes. You'd expect such a KickStarter to get funded within minutes of its release, but judging by the low number of backers so far the Internet thinks the concept it a little bit played out.

It might have, if there weren't like a billion "fund my custom Bicycle card deck" kickstarters already.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

raditts posted:

It might have, if there weren't like a billion "fund my custom Bicycle card deck" kickstarters already.

Also I don't really see a market for custom bicycle decks of memes or animes. You have to want to spend 15x to 20x the times a normal deck. Lazy enough to not just make your own deck at kinkos. And not nerdy enough to just buy a custom card game like ascension.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Shwqa posted:

Also I don't really see a market for custom bicycle decks of memes or animes. You have to want to spend 15x to 20x the times a normal deck. Lazy enough to not just make your own deck at kinkos. And not nerdy enough to just buy a custom card game like ascension.

There is a big collectors/enthusiast market for these. You wouldn't know unless you were looking for it, but the bicycle brand is pretty iconic and been around forever.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I find the custom card decks to be great gifts. People always enjoy receiving them and most of my recipients are pretty clueless where they came from. Like my mom. I'm currently backing the super exciting Civil War playing cards with a ~*~unique twist~*~. I hope it gets funded. She will flip out over these things.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

He said in the comments that he found a used one, maybe the dream is still within reach.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I find the custom card decks to be great gifts. People always enjoy receiving them and most of my recipients are pretty clueless where they came from. Like my mom. I'm currently backing the super exciting Civil War playing cards with a ~*~unique twist~*~. I hope it gets funded. She will flip out over these things.

I'm not too excited on his "unique twist," but those look really gorgeous I have to say. Plus one of the rewards is a stripper deck; that's really cool, because stripper decks usually look so obvious - nobody would expect this custom deck to be one.

pathetic little tramp has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Sep 24, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
You Could Own A Chicken Painting!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

pathetic little tramp posted:

I'm not too excited on his "unique twist," but those look really gorgeous I have to say. Plus one of the rewards is a stripper deck; that's really cool, because stripper decks usually look so obvious - nobody would expect this custom deck to be one.

Here I am thinking it was stuff like Ulysses S Grant in pasties, and it's actually for magic tricks. How disappointing.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

JossiRossi posted:

I just tossed in 25$ as well to Doobie's Dog House

Me, too. It's not the dumbest thing I've pledged for and I've got a bit of extra money in my pocket this week.

Come on, goons, let's help make this guy's dream come true (then ruin his life when he goes bankrupt because nobody goes to his terrible but well-intentioned hot dog stand in the middle of nowhere).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

cyberia posted:

Me, too. It's not the dumbest thing I've pledged for and I've got a bit of extra money in my pocket this week.

Come on, goons, let's help make this guy's dream come true (then ruin his life when he goes bankrupt because nobody goes to his terrible but well-intentioned hot dog stand in the middle of nowhere).

Probably the most entertaining part is balancing the desire to see this absurd restaurant exist and realizing that if it does, I'm out $25. Still hope it gets funded though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

cyberia posted:

I'd be more concerned about him failing if he was asking for tens of thousands of dollars. 6 grand is pretty small potatoes, I mean that's not a huge cliff to fall off of and he seems so genuine. I really hope he makes it :ohdear:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I dunno- the project is pretty frivolous but the person behind it is legitimately talented and seems to be totally aware of how goofy it is. Also, chickens are basically just stinky little velociraptors, so it's cool with me.

Def not in the same sphere as Lore or whatever.

SoundMonkey posted:

Probably the most entertaining part is balancing the desire to see this absurd restaurant exist and realizing that if it does, I'm out $25. Still hope it gets funded though.

I don't know if all of this fretting over Doobie's Dogs is proof that goons are good people at heart, terrible people at heart, or (most likely) some swirly combination of the two.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Just kicked in $25. Taking a risk on Doobie, here's hoping it pays off. I will be claiming my 5 free combo meals, Claude Robinson.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't know if all of this fretting over Doobie's Dogs is proof that goons are good people at heart, terrible people at heart, or (most likely) some swirly combination of the two.

I initially backed the project for the goofy updates, but after seeing how adorable they were I really want him to succeed. I like that he has a passion for it. Also, the "give my dogs to the homeless" thing is a really good idea.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
gently caress it, I threw in $25 too. If we can take a Haitian education center and help them fund a now internationally award winning book printing program, we can fund some random dude's hot dog place no problem.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I initially backed the project for the goofy updates, but after seeing how adorable they were I really want him to succeed. I like that he has a passion for it. Also, the "give my dogs to the homeless" thing is a really good idea.

Yeah initially I just laughed at him for three days because my lord those pictures, but he actually seems really sincere and has realistic goals (if not a viable business plan, but hell, this is Kickstarter).

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I am also now the backer of a hot dog kickstarter. Go Doobie go! :unsmith:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

This fuckin' rules and is exactly what Kickstarter should be for. Gonna get me a stack of chickens.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Pledge 5 or more posted:

You will receive a handwritten thankyou note and the ability to end any argument with, "Yeah, well I'm a patron of the arts."

This is how you write a good pledge.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Doobie's Dogs has... raised nearly four times as much money in the past 18 hours as they have in the three weeks prior to that. Shine on.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
This is four hours from my house, but I'm in for $10.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Noni posted:

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

This is sort of why I'm behind it, I live in a small town (that has a significantly higher median income, but still) that has a huge tourist season in summer, and the lovely food shack at the beach is selling worse food for nearly twice what the dude is gonna charge for a loaded-up hotdog and chips and a drink. He seems to have even managed to make his prices accessible to his community.

He'd also get a shitload of good PR if he actually donated unclaimed reward hotdogs to homeless/hungry/shelters etc, it'd probably get him in the local paper at least.

I've been chatting with the guy and... he actually has this really well thought-out.

EDIT: Hell, if my paycheck's big enough I might kick my backing up to $100. Wish he had a $50 tier.

EDIT AGAIN: gently caress, I don't get paid before his campaign ends :(

SoundMonkey has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Sep 25, 2013

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

This should be the OP of the 'Let's Make some Goober's dream happen' GBS thread.

I'm in for 25$, Dream your dreams Doobie.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nullscan posted:

I'm in for 25$, Dream your dreams Doobie.

I was talking to him about food photography a bit, and it turns out the reason better pics aren't up... he wasn't staging good pictures to promote his hotdogs.

That was his family's dinner that night. :unsmith:

Also apparently the actual dogs will be slightly longer and will have homemade chili.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
gently caress it, threw in $25. I'll consider it my charitable act for the year.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Put in 10, probably gonna up that to 25. Even if he doesn't make it, hopefully he'll be encouraged enough to try again, and then, maybe...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Noni posted:

Awesome :words:

SoundMonkey posted:

I've been chatting with the guy and... he actually has this really well thought-out.

Well then, I couldn't help but toss in $25 now, especially since I'd say doing anything else could be considered mod sass :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

"Dog House posted:

To date, we have been faced with many risks and challenges. The largest risk has been our financial investment in this business. We have put a lot of our finances at risk to avoid taking on investors or bank loans. The least amount of overhead, the better it will be in times of slow business. As with any business there are good times and there are not so good times. We have strong confidence in ourselves and our products and know that, if we persevere, our Hot Dog Stand will thrive. 2nd. challenge being satisfying the health inspector... if he finds a problem I will correct it, but I really don't foresee a problem, because my county's inspector is working with me closely, to be sure I complete all of his requirements... he knows that i'm struggling and really wants me to succeed, I believe that truly ..the last challenge is wastewater hook up.. I have'nt found the existing sewer main on the property yet, but I know its there, and the City of Reform will hook up that service.

So many people start restaurants by taking out massive loans against their property and stuff, this guy is actually doing everything he can to NOT gently caress up his life and family's future. :3:

JossiRossi has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Sep 25, 2013