Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

rizuhbull posted:

I need some turn-based games for a car trip. Something accessible that doesn't require a mouse. Maybe a rogue-like or puzzle game. Already played Dungeons of Dredmore to death.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is the best roguelike there is. So I would start with that.

Unfortunately I can't remember any PC puzzle games that don't require a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Is there a game that's good like Rogue Legacy but not as anger-inducing? I like the art and humor and the exploration and leveling up and unlocking gear and classes, but the combat makes me rage.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
This is kind of a long shot, but there were three (initially it was just one, but then I kept remembering other ones I liked, so here we are) types of Warcraft 3 custom maps I really liked in middle school, and I'd love to know if there are games out there nowadays that mimicked their mechanics.

First are the LotR maps.

Basically they were all single maps, with a bunch of different LotR factions divided amongst them. The most popular one was, I think, called the War of the Ring. There were 2 factions that were all heroes, the Fellowship and the Nazguls, and then a bunch of others like Rohan, Gondor, Isengard, etc. that had heroes as well as troops. To spawn more troops you had to control capture points, you could spend gold on poo poo like militia or whatever, etc. It was multiplayer, and was awesome. It was one of the best iterations of team-based rts games I've ever played, and I'd love to find something like it.

Here's an example: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=782415.

Second is tree tag. It's set in a big map covered in forests. Basically, one player is the lumberjack (or demon? or whatever, I don't remember) and tries to "tag" the other players, who are all little ents, and send them to a jail in the middle, that the others have to try and save them from. If they all get tagged, the demon-side wins. However, they can make little resource producing structures, destroy trees, and eventually build up defenses and even little armies. If they can get a big enough army, then they can kill the demon thing and win.

I guess the latest version on a forum, with screenshots in a spoiler in the OP: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/tree-tag-legend-v-3-0-a-183352/

I know these are both kind of long shots, but I figure if DotA got remade maybe these did too. Maybe. I hope...

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

shock.wav posted:

The servers my friends and I play DayZ in keep getting shut down, and to be honest, the game is getting a little stale.

Is there anything else that allows you to work with friends to build and collect things over a long period of time? God, that sounds vague.

DayZ was great, but the best parts of it were exploring the map together, looting other people's camps, slowly building up our collection of gear, then using it to fight off other players.

It doesn't have to be anything zombie related, just something with the same basic ideas of teamwork.

Obviously Minecraft would go here, perhaps set up as a PVP server with mods. There's also a "minecraft in space" called StarMade that has you building spaceships from asteroids. You could check out Arma 3, which is now out of beta and has a wide variety of player-made missions with stuff like that (not surprising since it's the same community that made DayZ to start with). Killing Floor has shorter levels where you build up defenses before fighting off waves of zombies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Liberatore posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is the best roguelike there is. So I would start with that.

Unfortunately I can't remember any PC puzzle games that don't require a mouse.

That's a real odd way of spelling DoomRL :smugbert:

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Requesting games without much/any story, preferably hard and/or randomized, that you don't have to pay much attention to enjoy.

Examples: Binding of Isaac, Minecraft, Spelunky.

I just want something to play without paying attention to story while I listen to podcasts and the like

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

V!ntar posted:

Requesting games without much/any story, preferably hard and/or randomized, that you don't have to pay much attention to enjoy.

I just want something to play without paying attention to story while I listen to podcasts and the like

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is my favorite way of listening to hours and hours of podcasts.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

V!ntar posted:

Grinding on Diablo 2/3 or any Diablo-like. Chilling in an exploration game like Proteus, Space Engine, Noctis, etc. If you have a Wii, Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon. Randomized survival games like Stranded 2 or Unreal World (both free right now, actually.)

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

V!ntar posted:

Rogue Legacy is both hard and randomized. My favourite "not paying attention" game is Faerie Solitaire but I don't think it qualifies as hard...

[edit]Actually since they've been talking about it recently, Dungeon Crawl is random, hard, and has absolutely no story!

Tagra fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 24, 2013

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone recommend some decent games for android that aren't stupid puzzles or craphouse platformers? Preferably turn-based, since I can't get the hang of touch controls for anything requiring precision.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you have a tablet, Avadon: The Black Fortress plays okay on Android. It plays badly on a phone, unfortunately.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Never been a much of a PC gamer, but Civ 5 is the best thing since sliced bread, bought it on Steam sale and got 73 hours in and the replayability is infinite. What other PC strategy games there are I could just get back to again and again? Preferably something old and/or cheap, my computer doesn't have too much juice in it. I'm pretty sure that Starcraft 2 would just kill it.

Is Warcraf 3 worth my money?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManOfTheYear posted:

Never been a much of a PC gamer, but Civ 5 is the best thing since sliced bread, bought it on Steam sale and got 73 hours in and the replayability is infinite. What other PC strategy games there are I could just get back to again and again? Preferably something old and/or cheap, my computer doesn't have too much juice in it. I'm pretty sure that Starcraft 2 would just kill it.

Is Warcraf 3 worth my money?

Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4, if your computer can handle them. Alternatively, get them both and have a 1,000 year reign as a viking. poo poo's like crack.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Blast of Confetti posted:

Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4, if your computer can handle them. Alternatively, get them both and have a 1,000 year reign as a viking. poo poo's like crack.

Not sure if my hardware is up to the task: when my civ 5 games get in the endgame turns, it takes 30-45 seconds for my computer to process a turn, even though I've got the settings on the lowest notch.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManOfTheYear posted:

Not sure if my hardware is up to the task: when my civ 5 games get in the endgame turns, it takes 30-45 seconds for my computer to process a turn, even though I've got the settings on the lowest notch.

In that case, yeah, WC3 was really popular and you can get that with the expansion for 5-10 dollars, I'd imagine. You might also want to check out Startopia. It's one of those strategy games where the campaign is just an extended tutorial since there's so much to do in it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ManOfTheYear posted:

That's just how Civ 5 is, as far as I know. Even on better computers the turn times can get rather long, although the last expansion did improve that somewhat.

For other strategy games, you might want to give some of the Total War games a go. Medieval 2 is a good first pick, I'd say. As the name implies, they are much more warfare-oriented than Civ or the abovementioned games, but I still like the empire-building side of them as well as the battles.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the answers guys, bought WC3 from Blizzards site, called all the local gamestores and none of them had the game. Huh.

Stupid question: How do Starcraft and Warcraft differ from each other, other than the setting? Starcraft seems to be infinitely more popular.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManOfTheYear posted:

Thanks for the answers guys, bought WC3 from Blizzards site, called all the local gamestores and none of them had the game. Huh.

Stupid question: How do Starcraft and Warcraft differ from each other, other than the setting? Starcraft seems to be infinitely more popular.

StarCraft was originally supposed to be a WH40k game. There was some kind of falling out and the end result was SC is Blizzard's game and looks like an off brand Warhams. Other than that, all I know about the game is the multiplayer is the real draw of the game. It's one of those games that people make an actual living off of. I try to avoid those since I get my dick stomped on the ground every time I try to play one.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 24, 2013

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
More an either/or: is it worth playing Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops or should I skip straight to Peace Walker? In terms of both story and gameplay. I've heard mixed things about PO.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

More an either/or: is it worth playing Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops or should I skip straight to Peace Walker? In terms of both story and gameplay. I've heard mixed things about PO.

MGS: Peacewalker is a legitimately good MGS game. Kojima wanted to call it MGS5 at one point. MGS: PO is a side game that is retconned entirely in the first 5 minutes of Peace Walker. The gameplay is also much, much better in PW, I think it actually has some of the strongest focus on gameplay in the whole series.

Play Peace Walker, skip PO - both in terms of story and gameplay.

What system are you playing these on?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ManOfTheYear posted:

:goonsay:
Warcraft 2 was pretty popular and got Blizzard really 'moving' so to speak, but mechanically it wasn't quite 'there' as the RTS genre evolved. Starcraft came next with a new generation of more powerful computers, bumping the unit selection from a mere 9 to a whopping 12 and making units more responsive. The fact that units were more responsive, smarter, and weren't simple squares with a texture (or didn't appear as such), it opened the way for competitive gaming.

Responsive units are a requirement of high-competition gameplay, since it allows you to outmaneuver the enemy in real time and forces you to divide your attention- whoever can do the most with their attention is going to win. Units move fast, die fast, and immediately follow orders (as opposed to slowly lumbering over to an enemy to hit it with a sword). This makes it a Good Game (along with balance and tech trees and such), and it was well-maintained by Blizzard with bugs/exploits patched out regularly. Why it caught on so hard in South Korea, I have no idea.

Anyway, Warcaft 3 came out next, and was 3D, opening new technologies and such. Blizzard didn't really care for the High Competitive scene since it shits on 95% of people who dragselect their whole army when they attack, so the game is more accessible and slightly less responsive (units will turn to face an enemy or change direction rather than SC's snap-to-face, and unit groups are usually spread in a grid rather than tightly packed) while still making it competitively viable by giving you a ton of things to manage- nearly every unit has special abilities to use, though the introduction of Heroes gave people something to focus on if they didn't have Sperglord levels of attention. That facet eventually evolved into the DOTAlike games such as DOTA and League of Legends.

Starcraft 2 came next with better technology, mostly in pathfinding, allowing a 3D game to field hundreds of units and for them to be very tightly packed without trouble or odd behavior. Units became perfectly responsive again, you can select an unlimited number of units, most units don't have active powers, and the like.

Competitive players use Actions Per Minute as a 'score' to rate their skill (not the only measure of course, but higher is better). If you watch War3 videos, you'll notice a good chuck of time is them clickspaming "move forward one foot" with their active unit group just to get their APM up, whereas in Starcraft and SC2 it can get hard to follow because the player is jumping all over the place giving orders to everyone.

Edit: VVV In all likelyhood, blizzard probably didn't even consider the competitive aspect of turn rate, just that snap-to-look looks bad in 3D. SC2 gets away with it since it can animate very fast so that it is almost instant. Later in WC3's life, they kinda removed turn-to-face: you can see units fire/attack animate before they finish looking at an enemy.

An example of the evolution of the RTS genre and why WC3 wasn't wildly competitive to start.

Edit 2: To give a few other examples: The Myth series used turn rate specifically as a limiter, and units are extremely unresponsive- it can take 2 or 3+ seconds for an archer to land a hit once given an order, and they can miss. This makes for a great casual game, but competitive spergs hate it, so the game can't take off.

Achron is an interesting take on the RTS genre, since it allows you to go back in time to change orders to have an effect on the future. It's awesome in concept and expertly done in practice (even working well in multiplayer) but the control scheme is a bit of a dog and the units respond terribly (since they try to follow future orders as you gave them the first time unless you are right on top of them) which is why I can't recommend it and why nobody has heard of it. SC2 with Achron's time flow :allears:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 24, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Never heard that interpretation of turn rate before. I would have said it's to make sure melee units are worthwhile.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

MGS: Peacewalker is a legitimately good MGS game. Kojima wanted to call it MGS5 at one point. MGS: PO is a side game that is retconned entirely in the first 5 minutes of Peace Walker. The gameplay is also much, much better in PW, I think it actually has some of the strongest focus on gameplay in the whole series.

Play Peace Walker, skip PO - both in terms of story and gameplay.

What system are you playing these on?

Thanks, will go for Peace Walker directly, on PSP.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for a game that can satisfy a goth horror itch. Games I've recently played with the right vibe are Haunting Ground, Nosferatu, Demon's Crest and the Castlevania series. Games don't have to necessarily be a "horror" game per se, just a baroque-y horror look are what I'm going for.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I have been playing and adoring DuckTales: Remastered and am looking for some other good platform games on PSN or PC. I didn't care for the demo of the new Mickey Mouse remaster, though. Any ideas?

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 25, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

Thanks, will go for Peace Walker directly, on PSP.

PW has also come out on 360 and PS3 in an HD version if you have either one of those.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

foutre posted:

First are the LotR maps.

Basically they were all single maps, with a bunch of different LotR factions divided amongst them. The most popular one was, I think, called the War of the Ring. There were 2 factions that were all heroes, the Fellowship and the Nazguls, and then a bunch of others like Rohan, Gondor, Isengard, etc. that had heroes as well as troops. To spawn more troops you had to control capture points, you could spend gold on poo poo like militia or whatever, etc. It was multiplayer, and was awesome. It was one of the best iterations of team-based rts games I've ever played, and I'd love to find something like it.

This is similar to the team based modes of Dawn of War 2 (just buy Retribution.) It's 3v3 maps with each player getting a single hero (well, two technically with the sub-commanders) plus the ability to call in more units. It might be a bit more complex than what you're looking for, though, and I'm not sure how active the online community is nowadays.

EDIT: \/ Or Demons' I think the first game had a bit better aesthetics.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 25, 2013

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm looking for a game that can satisfy a goth horror itch. Games I've recently played with the right vibe are Haunting Ground, Nosferatu, Demon's Crest and the Castlevania series. Games don't have to necessarily be a "horror" game per se, just a baroque-y horror look are what I'm going for.

I suggest Dark Souls if you haven't played it yet. It's on sale today as Steam's midweek madness if you want it for PC.

Ankle-biter fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 26, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sad Mammal posted:

Seconding the Dark Souls recommendation. Plenty of times in that game you fight crazy rear end monsters that are just horrifying in a Lovecraftian sort of way. Speaking of Lovecraft, I also recommend Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, which is a great horror game if you can get past jankiness.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Wondering what are some good turn based strategy games on iOS? I'm looking for something specifically in the vein of Master of Magic (the old DOS game), but I'm looking for general thoughts on the big 4X titles in general. Turn-based is important - it would be primarily for playing while watching TV, so it's best if I can put the game down at will and not miss anything.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Funktor posted:

Wondering what are some good turn based strategy games on iOS? I'm looking for something specifically in the vein of Master of Magic (the old DOS game), but I'm looking for general thoughts on the big 4X titles in general. Turn-based is important - it would be primarily for playing while watching TV, so it's best if I can put the game down at will and not miss anything.

There's always Shining Force (it's been ported to every platform 3 times over). It's a lot simpler than most, but I think that's it's best selling point.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shining-force/id382280803?mt=8

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Mokinokaro posted:

This is similar to the team based modes of Dawn of War 2 (just buy Retribution.) It's 3v3 maps with each player getting a single hero (well, two technically with the sub-commanders) plus the ability to call in more units. It might be a bit more complex than what you're looking for, though, and I'm not sure how active the online community is nowadays.

Cool, I forgot about DoW. I'll force people to play with me and see how it goes.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I'm not so interested in individual unit control and unit-level strategic battle - more interested in empire building. I'd prefer if battle is done on the level of troops instead of units.
Besides, while Shining Force is great, I've played it years ago.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think I'm done with Van Helsing (unless there's something to do after the credits have rolled and the sequel hook rears up?). Apart from TL/TL2 and Diablo, where should I focus my ARPG attentions next?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Path of Exile, Marvel Heroes and Diablo 3 after the upcoming update.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Danger Mahoney posted:

Can someone recommend some decent games for android that aren't stupid puzzles or craphouse platformers? Preferably turn-based, since I can't get the hang of touch controls for anything requiring precision.

Try Knights of Pen and Paper.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

MooCowlian posted:

I think I'm done with Van Helsing (unless there's something to do after the credits have rolled and the sequel hook rears up?). Apart from TL/TL2 and Diablo, where should I focus my ARPG attentions next?

I always have to shout out Soldak when someone's looking for a different ARPG. They're ugly, but have fun gimmicks: Depths of Peril has you competing against AI adventurers, Din's Curse has the dungeon actively assaulting the town, and Drox Operative has you playing inside a 4x game played between the AI races.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Anything out there that has a good mystery behind it, similar to Persona 4? I'm fine with any genre - I don't game on PC, but I have 360, Vita, 3DS, PS3, PS2, and a host of other older consoles.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Anything out there that has a good mystery behind it, similar to Persona 4? I'm fine with any genre - I don't game on PC, but I have 360, Vita, 3DS, PS3, PS2, and a host of other older consoles.

Obviously the Ace Attorney games. Episodic, with multiple mysteries to solve as a court procedural. LA Noire is Rockstar's big detective game, again with episodic mysteries to solve as a detective and an overarching plot. The Myst games are pretty mysterious, combining plot and puzzle solving. Deadly Premonition, for the Xbox 360 or now PC, is a pretty faithful recreation of a Twin Peaks style murder mystery.

This is going to sound weird, but Morrowind (you can get it on the original Xbox, or run it on most PCs). There's a standard RPG main plot--follow the missions and kill the big bad evil god, but there are a ton of mysteries that the plot generates. If you're the kind of person that can get into lore and likes reading background text, you will find a really well done murder mystery, a quest to solve a disappearance, a he said-she said argument over history, and a bunch of other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Capsaicin posted:

Get 999:9 Hours, 9 Persons 9 Doors on the DS. It's a great visual novel/puzzle game with a really good story. The sequel, Virtue's Last Reward on the 3DS or Vita, is even better but you really need to play 999 first for story reasons.