Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I tried going for the bearded, bald, aviatored, badass Trevor that a lot of people here seem to like, but it feels really out of sync with his personality. The creepy and gross kind of Trevor that he starts out as seems much more in character. I've got him rocking the mullet + stubble with some lovely jeans and a tank top.

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Is there any ambient music when you're just swimming around underwater in free roam? I've been swimming around for hours and haven't heard anything. It feels like a missed opportunity considering that they likely could have produced a great underwater ambient track right up there with Jolly Roger Bay.

Speaking of situations that I wish had music, I really wish you could listen to the radio while leveling up strength through tennis. I've resorted to bailing out of a moving car next to the tennis court so the door stays open and the music stays on. It's kind of muffled garbage that you often can't hear from one side or the other, and it cuts out after awhile, but it's better than nothing.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Vargs posted:

I tried going for the bearded, bald, aviatored, badass Trevor that a lot of people here seem to like, but it feels really out of sync with his personality. The creepy and gross kind of Trevor that he starts out as seems much more in character. I've got him rocking the mullet + stubble with some lovely jeans and a tank top.

When you get one of his really subdued behavior scenes, like the last errand you run for Josh, it really works. Like, really works well.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Davoren posted:

Not really, because when you see that Trevor tells Martin that if he mistreats his wife, he'll come back for the other ear.

Does anything ever come of the follow-up phone calls from her after the fact? She calls a few times, and then nothing.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyplace you get a wanted level while boating?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Regarding tanks. If I buy one, are they subject to the same recovery rules as normal road vehicles? (Do they get impounded? Can they fit in a garage? Will they be lost forever if they get destroyed?)

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Vargs posted:

Speaking of situations that I wish hadmusic, I really wish you could listen to the radio while leveling up strength through tennis. I've resorted to bailing out of a moving car next to the tennis court so the door stays open and the music stays on. t's kind of muffled garbage that you often can't hear from one side or the other, and it cuts out after awhile, but it's better than nothing.

Oh wow, imagine if during side changes there was music blasting for 10-15 seconds, like at a tournament. That would be hilarious.

Speaking of tennis, at the beach courts, the fences are so terribly wrong. They run along the sides, instead of behind the baselines.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

any tips on flying helicopters? they're such a pain in the dick to fly. I can't make it past the second heli race in flight school.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
^^ Try to move the flight stick forward only and control your turning via the rudder. You fight a lot of instinct in doing it but it helped me out a immensely.

Vargs posted:

Speaking of situations that I wish had music, I really wish you could listen to the radio while leveling up strength through tennis. I've resorted to bailing out of a moving car next to the tennis court so the door stays open and the music stays on. It's kind of muffled garbage that you often can't hear from one side or the other, and it cuts out after awhile, but it's better than nothing.

In that same vein, I haven't yet done any biking but is that musicless too? Would be great if there is an iPod-type option.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DangerKat posted:

In that same vein, I haven't yet done any biking but is that musicless too? Would be great if there is an iPod-type option.

I thought I heard in the pre-release thread that it was going to be a feature, just like in Saint's Row 4. And then I felt betrayed when it turned out to be false. Luckily the bikes own and so do the ambient soundtracks, but they don't seem to do a whole lot unless you're actively causing trouble. It'd be nice if they had some cool music for going on a country bike ride or something.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Vargs posted:

I tried going for the bearded, bald, aviatored, badass Trevor that a lot of people here seem to like,
This is the only Trevor I know:

Also Michael has to be bald and clean shaven. And if you make him wear a t-shirt and jeans and do nothing but pick up hookers it's basically Jim Norton: The Video Game

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm not a hardcore nutbag of a speedrunner or anything, but my record time for taking my first steps as Trevor starting off a new game is 109 minutes as my second attempt of going fast. Got curious and one thing led to another and then an optimized route. Handy for the day the PC version comes and one wants nothing but to do it all over and quickly? Doubt it'll get down to 90m but double digit sure. Challenging myself like.

Also wishing we had numbers of how many WatchDogs preorders have been cancelled since the 17th. Looking forward to seeing what they do when they have a guaranteed five gigabytes of RAM and VRAM to work with, in 2018 I guess.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 25, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

fps_bill posted:

any tips on flying helicopters? they're such a pain in the dick to fly. I can't make it past the second heli race in flight school.

If you aren't already, use the bumpers/L1 & R1 to make turns, not the analog stick. Feather the left stick to make minor side-to-side corrections, such as when squeezing through tight spaces or landing. Be gentle about it, avoid overcompensating. You have a lot of momentum in the air so begin easing back on the left stick and right trigger/R2 well in advance of any turns. Wouldn't be the worst idea to just practice in a heli outside of flight school.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
Are hangars/helipads bugged like garages are? I'd like to know before I start sinking cash into a ton of planes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Hello molotovs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

Are hangars/helipads bugged like garages are? I'd like to know before I start sinking cash into a ton of planes.

If you buy a boat, plane or chopper online, they are added to your hangar or whatever and can be called up whenever you please, and if they explode you can just go back and summon up a new one for free. If you buy a 2 million dollar helicopter, you can summon it as much as you want for free no matter what.

It's just the car system that is loving stupid.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

DrNutt posted:

I thought I heard in the pre-release thread that it was going to be a feature, just like in Saint's Row 4. And then I felt betrayed when it turned out to be false. Luckily the bikes own and so do the ambient soundtracks, but they don't seem to do a whole lot unless you're actively causing trouble. It'd be nice if they had some cool music for going on a country bike ride or something.

You feel betrayed that they didn't include a feature you thought might've been mentioned second-hand? :wtc:

Story-wise, is there any way to (mid-game heist spoilers) make any cash from the Merryweather Heist or the armoured car job?

Also had my absolute favourite Trevor moment last night - the way he busts out laughing when you put your heist masks on just slayed me. I laughed so much I woke my wife up, whoops.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Downloaded this off the PSN on a whim yesterday. Heard the horror stories about it, but the pop in is no worse than San Andreas for the most part. Good fun so far. Chop is adorable. For a killer attack dog anyway. :3: I like Dobermans. At least, I think that's what he is. That first mission with him was hilarious.

Ragdolling about is great, giving everybody the finger when driving is great too. Just have to remember it defaults to a gun. Lots of times I've meant to flip somebody off and shot their car by mistake.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

Final tally after doing all the assassination missions, I am at just over a billion dollars on each character. So, in conclusion, money ain't no thang.

I really wish that 1) I didn't already do three of those missions, 2) I didn't already do the giving-a-ride-to-the-airport-to-random-rear end in a top hat-for-stock-tip event, and 3) Bawsaq would load for me.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 25, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

webmeister posted:

You feel betrayed that they didn't include a feature you thought might've been mentioned second-hand? :wtc:

Story-wise, is there any way to (mid-game heist spoilers) make any cash from the Merryweather Heist or the armoured car job?

Also had my absolute favourite Trevor moment last night - the way he busts out laughing when you put your heist masks on just slayed me. I laughed so much I woke my wife up, whoops.

To answer your spoiler, no, there are literally only two heists in the entire game that give you any sort of substantial payout, the first and last. Admittedly, there is a lot of money involved in the last one. But on the other hand, it means you're playing a ton of cool seeming heists and getting absolutely no reward for it, and it's loving stupid and I honestly want to slap whoever had that idea in the loving face.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

McDragon posted:

Downloaded this off the PSN on a whim yesterday. Heard the horror stories about it, but the pop in is no worse than San Andreas for the most part.

Whether you get gnarly pop-up or not seems to almost entirely hinge on how fast your HDD is. Mine is fairly speedy, so no issues (compared my intro to that video and I was hitting none of the pop-in/streaming issues there), although maybe two or three times (and that's 2-3 times in 35 hours) I've had huge chunks of the world stall out loading and render as nearly textureless slabs, but this seemed to only be while it was saving the game, tying up the hard drive.

Best thing is that I got the game for $30. Sharing is caring.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Has anyone found any Bullets driving around? It was my favorite car from San Andreas but I haven't seen one since one of the early missions when driving around as Franklin

Hidden Under a Hat
May 21, 2003
Would I ever have any issues making money from Bawsaq stocks from the assassination missions since it's tied to online? What if that stock is already super inflated from everyone buying it online? I'm just confused on how that market works when it's connected to both the single player storyline and online.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Furism posted:

What's the best way to play the market, during the Assassination missions? Should you buy stock during the mission only, or also after? How do I abuse this?

Buy it once you get the info from Lester. I just ran into a random encounter tonight where a stock broker from Liberty City needed to get to the airport in 2.5 minutes. When I successfully did this he gave me a tip to buy a certain stock and it shot up 11% shortly after.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Not really going for an uppity cred move here, but the radio stations in V are so AMAZING that

I'm probably just old but I think San Andreas' radio stations destroy GTA 5's. I can get into any car in that game and be entertained by whatever's on. I'm constantly changing channels or just turning it off in 5.

I guess it was too heavy for the hawk:

(Some how shooting birds with Trevor got me this image macro recreation, the hawk landed right on top of the first one!)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Has anyone found any Bullets driving around? It was my favorite car from San Andreas but I haven't seen one since one of the early missions when driving around as Franklin

Sup

(e: better pic :haw:)

Just drove past me as I came out of the Mount Zonah hospital in northern LS (because Trevor won't put on a goddamn seat belt)

Pleads fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 25, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'd like to slap the person who priced the buyable properties. It's fine if you want to make the weekly payout relatively low so money is tough to make trivial, but the purchase price on everything is just ludicrously, retarded high. Most people will have shelved the game completely by the time any single one of those properties will pay for itself.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 25, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

webmeister posted:

Yep, I felt as though a long-time friend shoved a dagger in my back. EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET IS loving SERIOUS GUYS

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
I love the idea of money being actually valuable and was excited, but I think that they went way overboard. I liked that in early RDR, I had to actually hunt or rob people to get cash on the side if I wanted cool poo poo. The problem is that instead of having cool expensive poo poo and cool ways to earn money, in GTA5 it's just that the story is the only way to really make money. Properties are completely unprofitable unless you plan on playing years ingame, as far as I can tell.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Is anybody else really bad with helicopters? They feel so wobbly, is that just because my flight skill isn't maxed out?

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
Oh dammit, I jacked the fighter jet from the airbase and I can't store it.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Sartana posted:

I love the idea of money being actually valuable and was excited, but I think that they went way overboard. I liked that in early RDR, I had to actually hunt or rob people to get cash on the side if I wanted cool poo poo. The problem is that instead of having cool expensive poo poo and cool ways to earn money, in GTA5 it's just that the story is the only way to really make money. Properties are completely unprofitable unless you plan on playing years ingame, as far as I can tell.

They need to add the ability to short stocks with four to ten times margin, like real life. Then you could make some serious money when you're doing the assassinations and such by playing both sides of the trade.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sartana posted:

I bought the hangar with Trevor because 7k/flight is awesome, and I love the flight missions. But I'm a clueless loving noob anyways.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

McDragon posted:

Downloaded this off the PSN on a whim yesterday. Heard the horror stories about it, but the pop in is no worse than San Andreas for the most part. Good fun so far. Chop is adorable. For a killer attack dog anyway. :3: I like Dobermans. At least, I think that's what he is. That first mission with him was hilarious.

Ragdolling about is great, giving everybody the finger when driving is great too. Just have to remember it defaults to a gun. Lots of times I've meant to flip somebody off and shot their car by mistake.

Chop is a rottweiler.

Just ragdolled through the door of Michael's house, was hoping I'd get "He-Hey! Your dad's back!" for that entrance. I got "I'm still alive, in case anyone's wonderin'."

I'll take it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

This is hopefully a dumb question but does the BAWSAQ market on Xbox require a gold account to properly update? It doesn't seem like it should but considering how microsoft is with online this generation i figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I really want to try to get $2.2 mil on Trevor so I can buy the Cargobob but that's so much money without doing the story stuff.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I think Los Santos must have every gt ford ever manufactured because I see way more of those bullets than any of the other two door sports cars.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Repelex posted:

Is anybody else really bad with helicopters? They feel so wobbly, is that just because my flight skill isn't maxed out?

Higher skill levels reduce it but they're always a bit wobbly. Once you get used to it they aren't so bad. Just don't panic when it happens.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Franklin supposedly got a $200k take for the FIB, but when I switched to him he didn't have the money.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Is there (minor mechanic spoiler) any way to use the thermal vision outside of the required missions? I use the d-pad with both sniper rifles and both scopes without any effect.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Can I seriously only save one plane in this massive hangar I just bought? :(

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Capn Beeb posted:

Hello molotovs.

Where did you find them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

tooooooo bad posted:

Higher skill levels reduce it but they're always a bit wobbly. Once you get used to it they aren't so bad. Just don't panic when it happens.

Try and use the rudders to control the wobble (shoulder buttons), not the stick. Don't try and micro-correct every single wobble, just bring it back around when you get more than 20-30 degrees off course. And always keep a soft touch - it's difficult at first but it's not too hard to get a handle on with a bit of practice.

• Locked thread