Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

JossiRossi posted:

So many people start restaurants by taking out massive loans against their property and stuff, this guy is actually doing everything he can to NOT gently caress up his life and family's future. :3

Yeah, part of why I really want this guy to succeed is because he's actual realistic about what he can do with the money (sewer main issues aside). Plus his town only has like 2,000 people, 30% of whom are below the poverty line, and five bucks for a hotdog with a bunch of stuff on it and chips and a drink is probably actually affordable to most of the population. Not counting the charity dogs he has to give out if he meets his goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
nothing but shame

Manifest has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Jan 22, 2014

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

As the guy who originally made fun of this project, I believe is my responsibility to chip in with something. So have my :10bux: you crazy hot dog man.

edit. I read Noni's post in the voice of Bob from Bob's Burgers. It really makes it very inspirational.

DoctorPresident has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Sep 25, 2013

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I've wasted $25 on dumber things. I'm in as well.

Also, I heard mention of "can't back yet, not paid". I am willing on a case-by-case basis to put money down for you if you can paypal it back after payday if anyone else truly wants to give this guy :10bux:, send me a PM.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
At first I was all :douche: but you people are warming my icy Grinch heart.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The amount pledged has loving DOUBLED in the past 12 hours :stare:

insta posted:

I've wasted $25 on dumber things. I'm in as well.

Also, I heard mention of "can't back yet, not paid". I am willing on a case-by-case basis to put money down for you if you can paypal it back after payday if anyone else truly wants to give this guy :10bux:, send me a PM.

Also that's really cool but probably not a good idea.

SoundMonkey has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Sep 25, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SoundMonkey posted:

The amount pledged has loving DOUBLED in the past 12 hours :stare:

To be fair, it wasn't much to start with. Honestly, I think this guy should go with IndieGogo next time, because it might seem he'd need a next time :smith:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

I saw this quote in the PYF Quotes thread. I thought I was going to be reading another hilarious Noni quote, but instead I read something quite beautiful.

My dad is now on the second year of owning a hot dog cart. He even uses the "Dog House" name, too. He's told me about others who own carts that he has met. It seems that no one decides to sell hot dog on a whim. It's a passion to the point where I almost can't understand it. Many drunk people say, "We should buy a bar!" and nothing comes of it. If someone soberly says they are going to buy a hot dog cart, you are hearing the words of someone who has dreamed of it for a long time.

It's amazing that after selling hot dogs every day for two years, including weekends, in the hot summers and cold winters, my dad's face lights up with pure joy each time he hands a hot dog to a customer. It's like when a kid sells the first cup of lemonade at that makeshift lemonade stand, but as a career. I wish I had that kind of love for what I do.

If Doobie's Dog House is anything like that, and I think it is judging by the Kickstarter page, then I hope it succeeds. I'm pledging, too, and I hope you goons will with me.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair, it wasn't much to start with. Honestly, I think this guy should go with IndieGogo next time, because it might seem he'd need a next time :smith:

It might just work. When I pledged last night at around 11 PM it put him from $80 to $105, not even 24 hours later it's pushing $700.

EDIT: By "pushing $700" I apparently now mean "over $700".

SoundMonkey has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Sep 25, 2013

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Noni posted:

Goons are actual hotdogs.

This entire post should be on a goddamn monument somewhere, carved into granite to stand forever. I'm in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Send this post to that man.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

:aaaaa: :sbahj: :wow:
poo poo, this post has officially sold me. I'm legitimately ashamed at my snobbishness when I initially scoffed at the pictures of sad looking hotdogs with American cheese and Fritos. The guy didn't have time or money to waste on professional dressed up food photoshoots that never resemble the actual product. I admit I'd order mine without any cheese product, but I bet his hotdogs are completely delicious. completely delicious.... and 100% Alabama :black101:

If you haven't already, I recommend you tell the guy some of what you wrote here. Obviously not some of the more denigrating things, but definitely let him know that you, and a lot of other people, are really rooting for him.

Perhaps we should post this in the Awesome Kickstarter thread?

pre-post edit: Oh hey it seems that I am not the only one who was deeply moved by this High Quality Post. Yep. Count me the gently caress in. I'd pledge right now but I'm in bed and my debit card is in my pants on the floor, but tomorrow morning for sure.

:20bux:+ (:10bux:/2)

SolDivide
Oct 31, 2004
1337 z0mb13
I really want to see Doobie's succeed, I'm in for :10bux: on the project.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gently caress it, hot dogs own I'm in for $25

Guuse
May 11, 2009
$25 more for pure-strain Alabama hotdogs.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Guuse posted:

pure-strain Alabama hotdogs.

Requesting name change, tia.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Someone should honestly just make a Doobie's Dog Stand thread. After that Noni post I'm also totally in for $10 when I get money on Friday. I feel like I'm helping to fund the field of dreams. But with hot dogs. So way better.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Someone should honestly just make a Doobie's Dog Stand thread.

I agree with this. I don't want to get invested and hopeful on this only to find out this bout of charity petered out and the dude fell short of his goal.

If we get a thread going I can even see it becoming a regular thing to throw the guy :10bux: post-launch to feed a couple of homeless people, as a sort of goon-started charity.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

$25 for the hotdog man!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If Doobie Dogs makes it, I'm going to suggest an alternative to requesting that your 5 free combos go to the homeless. Considering that we want Doobie Dogs to survive, and open a franchise location near us soon, instead you should request that he hold an event in town(Probably on whichever day that antique mall next store is busy), and use 2 or 3 of your free combos to give out free food. Hopefully, that will get him some return business, and at least make some people aware of DD's existence.

Then have him give the remaining combos to the homeless a few months from now. I know that the homeless are hungry now, but there is no way that he will be able to afford giving out 1000 combo meals in one shot without going bankrupt so soon after he opens. He will need some kind of return return value on your free meals if he is to stay in business. I don't think he was expecting to pay out all of the free combos in one day. That's probably nearly $2000 in food cost to him.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Goddamnit you've sold me on this, I'm gonna find someway to give this man $25 :unsmith:, I've spent more money on dumber things after all.

Also gonna second the suggestion of a Doobie's Dog Stand thread

EDIT: There goes my $25, shine on crazy hot dog man.

Peruser has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Sep 25, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

We've built schools in Haiti and Kenya, we've rebuilt homes in Tohoku, and now we're building a hot dog stand in Alabama. $25 from me, and I second the suggestion of a thread for this noble wiener project.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm in for :10bux: let's make this happen :unsmith:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
drat... After reading the past couple pages, I feel like an rear end in a top hat for dismissing this guy. I'll throw in :10bux:, why not.

I bet he's pretty stoked to see the spike in pledges. :unsmith:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Can't wait for his response in the morning (it's like 2am there right?). I'm tempted to up it to a 100 just to plaster his tables with some goon art/advertisements.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
He's gone from $100 to $1,000 in a single day :toot:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My mom lives like two or so hours from this guy. Throwing in 25 buckaroos, lets get some goddamn hotdogs made.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Noni posted:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs...

I don't even live on the same continent as this guy and I've thrown in $25.

I hope Doobie hires you as his marketing director.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

The Human Crouton posted:

I know that the homeless are hungry now, but there is no way that he will be able to afford giving out 1000 combo meals in one shot without going bankrupt so soon after he opens. He will need some kind of return return value on your free meals if he is to stay in business. I don't think he was expecting to pay out all of the free combos in one day. That's probably nearly $2000 in food cost to him.

I chipped in $25, but opted out of the reward for precisely this reason. Plus, Australia's a little far to come from, even if they're the best drat things ever.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

SoundMonkey posted:

EDIT: Hell, if my paycheck's big enough I might kick my backing up to $100. Wish he had a $50 tier.
You can back for any amount regardless of reward tiers, just type in the amount in the pledge screen.

(you can only pick a reward that you can afford though, naturally)

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
(deleted due wrong tab. sorry)

Woohoo has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Sep 25, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Note to self: Kickstart unironic ironic bad foods stand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Peruser posted:

He's gone from $100 to $1,000 in a single day :toot:

I wonder - could we persuade Lowtax to kick in 500 shekels to get an advert for SA on the wall for a year?

We shall not cease to buy hotdogs
Nor shall our cash sleep in our hand
Till we have put a big green frog
On an Alabama fast food stand.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jedit posted:

I wonder - could we persuade Lowtax to kick in 500 shekels to get an advert for SA on the wall for a year?

We shall not cease to buy hotdogs
Nor shall our cash sleep in our hand
Till we have put a big green frog
On an Alabama fast food stand.

Just an enormous :frog: that occupies the whole front of the service counter. My god, it's beautiful.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Awful Foods. Seriously though it's bad don't eat here unless you're on some kinda goon dare

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
$25 in for the hot dog stand. Anyone made that thread yet? If we get this out to the general membership I bet it'll explode. And unlike most of you, I get down to Alabama once a year or so for family, so I can report back on the deliciousness of the dogs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

drat you guys for making me chip in. drat ALL of you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Somewhere in Reform, Alabama a hot dog monger is twiddling his fingers with a puppet rig on his desk

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

:lol:

And if anyone donates the $500 we should have a giant :iamafag: or :frog: on his wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Spalec posted:

And if anyone donates the $500 we should have a giant :iamafag: or :frog: on his wall.

Whoever's in contact with him should tell him to tailor it to goons. He'd make his money in a day