Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
You know, everybody who likes it seems to think it's great for direct-light sunsets and for neon. I tried it in both of those situations, as well as on a cloudy day, and yeah, it's fine, and I can get pretty much what I want - but I feel like it took a lot more work to get the color 'right' compared to with Portra. I can always add saturation, but it's harder to take it out.

Helen's Pacific Costumers by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think Ektar blows in sunlight. I just like it to make contrasty blue-weighted shots on cloudy days.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

aliencowboy posted:

I agree with Genderfluid that Ektar is very situational. For every roll of Portra/400H I go through, at some point I come across a shot I know would look fantastic with Ektar but it's not enough to convince me to shoot it with any regularity. If I had a camera with a removable back or shot 4x5, I'd probably keep some on hand.

The reason I shoot Ektar in 4x5 is mostly because it's cheaper than Portra by almost $10 for 10 sheets.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

PushingKingston posted:

The reason I shoot Ektar in 4x5 is mostly because it's cheaper than Portra by almost $10 for 10 sheets.

But you're shooting 4x5. Saving 25% seems like false economy to me at that point.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

But you're shooting 4x5. Saving 25% seems like false economy to me at that point.

I bought a 5-pack of 120 ektar for the same reason. Portra was only $6 more... I am still working on my first roll--maybe I will like it?

I am still adjusting to framing on a TLR. It's a bit embarrassing how long it takes me to get a shot level while hand held.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Exactly this, if I am going to pay $7 an exposure then I'm going to get the film the takes the least work in post to look the way I want it to. I keep thinking that I should buy a box of 4x5 Ektar and give it another chance, maybe I will when I run out of NPS 160.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Portra by all tangible accounts is superior, but when I shoot Ektar, it's to get the Ektar look; I don't try and fight it.

Cafe by Winston85, on Flickr

Snoopy by Winston85, on Flickr

0002_35.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

Free Delivery by Winston85, on Flickr

0018_19.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Looks like the UK Kodak Pension Plan has formed a new company called Kodak Alaris to keep on selling film: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2296502/new-kodak-company-to-continue-selling-film

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

Looks like the UK Kodak Pension Plan has formed a new company called Kodak Alaris to keep on selling film: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2296502/new-kodak-company-to-continue-selling-film

Note to Ye Olde Britshe People: Please don't gently caress up Portra, do whatever the hell you want to the rest of that poo poo but leave the only good thing in my life alone.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

alkanphel posted:

I don't have much to add, except maybe two things.

First the name Alaris: In Latin, if I haven't forgot everything, it means auxiliary cavalry, or perhaps even other aux. reinforcements. Kind of clever, if you ask me.

Secondly, this:

Some executive dude posted:

"...preserve the heritage and legacy of the Kodak brand, while embodying greater speed and agility to meet market needs and changes."

... Yet, the focus of the company will be on instant printing, he adds.

Then further on, regarding film:
"There's not a lot more you can expect, so you won't see massive changes in our offering. We're really focussed (sic) on continuing with what we have today," ... "There are no plans at all to cut down. We enjoy a good demand, but of course we will continue to monitor the market and if for whatever reason – which I wouldn't expect, to be honest – the demand would dry up, we would need to react and look at our portfolio."

Worries me a bit. Basically it's: Okay. Let's stop innovating (stealing from the Vision Film line) and flog that horse some more - then sell it. Now I might be talking out of my rear, but I have seen where this goes before with Polaroid probably being the most fitting for this topic, or Rollei for that matter; except that the Rollei story has a happy ending. Namely the employees buying back the company from Samsung.

So... Buy. Buy! Buy!!! And extend your fridge capacity, too - probably.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

nielsm posted:

Finally, got a remotely serious DSLR negative scanning rig set up. (Tip: Get a thin CCFL or LED light table for background light.)
So a few random shots from a zoo trip this summer.

Oh god the sharpness! :fap:

From LETPD - Can you post a picture of your rig? I'm hoping to build one soon although I'll probably just use my SB-700 in a light box behind the negative as the backlight.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

voodoorootbeer posted:

From LETPD - Can you post a picture of your rig? I'm hoping to build one soon although I'll probably just use my SB-700 in a light box behind the negative as the backlight.

Really just the DSLR mounted on tripod above a light panel, of the type you'll use to view negatives on. (I.e. basically even illumination at a stable color temperature.)

I use a Nikon D80 with Nikkor 55 mm f/2.8 Micro, at f/5.6 1/25 s ISO 200 to take the shots, and reverse the tone curve in Lightroom. Of course you'd adjust the exposure to fit the exact light source. The camera is mounted on a tripod, set to point straight down.

The only really special thing is I have a little 3D printed negative strip holder, to keep them flat. I can post the 3D model for it later.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I have a exactly same setup minus the strip holder, and camera. I have noticed that it works pretty well with a crop body, which unfortunately for me is a d50 which limits resolution greatly. Things get fun when you try to use a full frame camera like a d800 with it. To get the 1:1 magnification you have to use extension tubes, which really messes with corner sharpness on a 55mm 2.8 ais. Not to mention headaches involving keeping the rig absolutely level and at appropriate focus and magnification level. I am seriously thinking about getting a 60mm 2.8 macro.

Now to keep things flat I use a pane of glass which is not optimal for a lot of reasons. Would you mind letting us know how could one obtain such a 3d printed model?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Putrid Grin posted:

Now to keep things flat I use a pane of glass which is not optimal for a lot of reasons. Would you mind letting us know how could one obtain such a 3d printed model?

I designed the model myself, with a little experimenting I managed to get working sprocket tabs to keep the film precisely in place. Then just got it produced on a 3D printer I have access to. Pair of models here, it may need a slight amount of filing down to make the parts fit, depending on the calibration of the printer.
The holder is 25 holes long, so it fits 3 frames + a bit (to make up for uneven frame spacing).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Who needs innovation when you've got Portra and Tri-X?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

VomitOnLino posted:

First the name Alaris: In Latin, if I haven't forgot everything, it means auxiliary cavalry, or perhaps even other aux. reinforcements. Kind of clever, if you ask me.

Literally, "ala" it's "shoulder" / "wing" and yes it was used to indicate auxiliary troops / reinforcements.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Who needs innovation when you've got Portra and Tri-X?
Basically. And HP5.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does anyone have experience with Walmart's film processing and scans? It's absolutely dirt cheap and I'm really tempted....

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

change my name posted:

Does anyone have experience with Walmart's film processing and scans? It's absolutely dirt cheap and I'm really tempted....

You don't even get what you pay for.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was in this thread that people were saying you don't even get your negs back.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

change my name posted:

Hold your negative in one hand, point your cellphone with the other, awkwardly hit the shutter release and then invert the your shaky handheld snaps on your PC. Not only will you save $5 a roll but the pictures will probably be less blurry, grainy, and/or blown out than the Walmart scans.

They're seriously godawful. They might be worth it as proofs if you have like 30 rolls to scan but don't plan on ever being able to show them to anyone.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, thanks. Seems like it was too good to be true.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

change my name posted:

Okay, thanks. Seems like it was too good to be true.

They send the negs out for development to Fuji, who recently stopped returning negs to Walmart. You can still take film in to be developed but you get the poo poo scans and/or prints with no negs. The days of inexpensive dev only at walmart are done.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
There's lots of anecdotal info here regarding Walmart, your experience will be different depending on where in the world you are. All of my local Walmarts still develop c41 in-house in one hour, for about 5bux +5 for the scans depending on who's working that day. I absolutely do get my negs back.

That being said the scans are low res, and the contrast and DR is poor. On bad days my negs may come back dirty. Generally I only go there for test rolls.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys pay on average for B&W development/scans? I mean I know why it's more expensive, but I think the film lab near my house is ripping us off. Plus the guy only develops black and white 1 day a week, which seems like extra bullshit. I wish I didn't love tri-x so much.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They do it once a week + charge a lot as an idiot tax for the people that can't spend $40 to start developing it themselves at home.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

change my name posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys pay on average for B&W development/scans? I mean I know why it's more expensive, but I think the film lab near my house is ripping us off. Plus the guy only develops black and white 1 day a week, which seems like extra bullshit. I wish I didn't love tri-x so much.

I pay less than $1 in chemicals per 1L tank (6 4x5 sheets). It's ridiculously hard to gently caress up doing it yourself, which is what you should be doing.

How much have you spent on B&W development so far?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
To be fair, though, you have to factor the cost of a scanner and/or enlarging and printing equipment to the cost of developing B&W.

The lack of a scanner here would be the only reason why I'd take my B&W to be developed elsewhere.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I actually have a film scanner on my desk, just nowhere to develop. I guess I could ask my friends with setups to help me out, but just dropping it off has always been more convenient? Lately they've been getting pretty brazen about slacking off, though (for instance they claimed one of my rolls was damaged, and all of the negatives were blanked out, despite it being a fresh roll). There's a walgreens moving in across the street though, so I shouldn't even have to put up with it for too much longer.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

change my name posted:

I actually have a film scanner on my desk, just nowhere to develop. I guess I could ask my friends with setups to help me out, but just dropping it off has always been more convenient? Lately they've been getting pretty brazen about slacking off, though (for instance they claimed one of my rolls was damaged, and all of the negatives were blanked out, despite it being a fresh roll). There's a walgreens moving in across the street though, so I shouldn't even have to put up with it for too much longer.

Do you have a sink? Then you have a place to develop film.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Do you have access to a sink with a small table near it? Then you've got somewhere to develop film.
Keep in mind: Developing film does not need a darkroom. You just need a dark place to transfer the exposed film to the developing tank, a simple changing bag fulfills that.
And it's incredibly hard to gently caress up a b/w development.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
If you're really a cheapstake (like me) hiding under three blankets at night will also work...

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Not to mention that Walgreens is likely only set up to do C41 so they will either completely hose your Tri-X or just not know what to do with it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

If you're really a cheapstake (like me) hiding under three blankets at night will also work...

There's no reason to do that anymore, changing bags are under $20 now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darkroom-Fi...=item565b5bbf7e

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nielsm posted:

And it's incredibly hard to gently caress up a b/w development.

The only thing you can really screw up is the reel loading. Sacrifice a roll when starting out to make sure you can do it without error first. Also, patterson reels hate the poo poo out of any humidity.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

nm posted:

The only thing you can really screw up is the reel loading. Sacrifice a roll when starting out to make sure you can do it without error first. Also, patterson reels hate the poo poo out of any humidity.

Actually all plastic reels do, I have tried AP, Jobo and Paterson.
Sometimes even the humidity of your sweating is enough to make the ball bearings gum up against the film, causing nasty crinkles in the film.

So yeah, buy the cheapest film you can (usually B/W film) and try loading it a couple of times. Also practice taking apart the spool and putting it together in the bag as well. If something goes wrong with loading (see above) this is how you start from scratch, after taking a break preferably.

Also as another tip, use the kind of scissors they use in kindergarten, this way you can't accidentally puncture the changing bag with the pointed ends.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VomitOnLino posted:

Actually all plastic reels do, I have tried AP, Jobo and Paterson.
Sometimes even the humidity of your sweating is enough to make the ball bearings gum up against the film, causing nasty crinkles in the film.

So yeah, buy the cheapest film you can (usually B/W film) and try loading it a couple of times. Also practice taking apart the spool and putting it together in the bag as well. If something goes wrong with loading (see above) this is how you start from scratch, after taking a break preferably.

Also as another tip, use the kind of scissors they use in kindergarten, this way you can't accidentally puncture the changing bag with the pointed ends.

With the patterson reel, if it starts sticking at the end (which is when it always loving sticks), if you bang the reel against your tank, it can loosen up enough just enough to get the last 2 in or so on.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I've found that it helps immensely if I cut the leading end (the one that goes first into the reel) with an arrow shape instead of letting it be flat. Never had a stuck roll ever after I tried it.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

maxmars posted:

I've found that it helps immensely if I cut the leading end (the one that goes first into the reel) with an arrow shape instead of letting it be flat. Never had a stuck roll ever after I tried it.

Yeah that helps for 35mm film, I do it all the time, sadly it's pretty hard to do with 120 film. Well I guess you could try it in the changing bag, but I'd be worried about making the wrong cuts, as it is a mess of tools, film, tank, reels and backing paper in there.
Also, in my experience 120 format is the film which, probably due to it's larger surface area, gets crumpled up more easily anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

VomitOnLino posted:

Yeah that helps for 35mm film, I do it all the time, sadly it's pretty hard to do with 120 film. Well I guess you could try it in the changing bag, but I'd be worried about making the wrong cuts, as it is a mess of tools, film, tank, reels and backing paper in there.

I snip the corners off my 120 film in the bag every time. Only a couple of mm, but it seriously helps you slide the film in past the ball bearings. As long as you aren't shooting all the way to the edge of the film via some form of black magic, you won't even get close to your last frame (or first?)