Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I feel like Gambler already had that as one facet of the title though. Celes was a massive liar at the very least.

Too bad she wasn't that great at it when it actually mattered most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
Even a SHSL Gambler can't win when they have SHSL luck is turned against them.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Psych posted:

Even a SHSL Gambler can't win when they have SHSL luck is turned against them.

Or being overly-aggressive with her accusations and coming off as suspicious almost immediately.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

A Bystander posted:

Or being overly-aggressive with her accusations and coming off as suspicious almost immediately.

And going along with an absolutely ridiculous plot to frame somebody else using a mecha suit. Seriously, you'd think she'd have thought that through and realized how stupid it was.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

And going along with an absolutely ridiculous plot to frame somebody else using a mecha suit. Seriously, you'd think she'd have thought that through and realized how stupid it was.

The mecha suit wasn't her idea, though. She just wanted Yamada to make a suit that would conceal a person's identity. It was his stupidity that introduced that particular flaw.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Last night I was thinking about this and I think I've guessed the twist. I'm going to spoiler it because honestly I think I've got it right. Disclaimer: No I didn't go and check I'm not a dick :argh:

Togami was in a fatsuit, he's not dead. He's the mastermind/in on it.

Someone please prove me wrong, I want to not be right but I have that sinking feeling I am. :ohdear:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Wyvernil posted:

In order to redirect speculation away from debating the possibility of cyborg gangsters, I've compiled a list of the unanswered questions that have come up so far in the game.

1. Who is the mastermind behind Monobear this time?

2. Who is the mastermind behind Monomi? Is it the same as Monobear, or is she being controlled by someone else?

3. What is Hinata's super high-school talent, and why did he forget it?

4. What is the deal with Nagito? Does he know something that the other students don't? What is his true agenda?

5. What is the deal with Togami? What was he doing on the island? Why did he gain weight?

6. Who erased the students' memories, and why? Was Monobear telling the truth?

7. Who is the mysterious "traitor" that Monobear was talking about? Are they on Monobear's side? Monomi's? Someone else's?

8. What is the secret behind the Jabberwock Islands, and why were the students really brought there?

9. What is the truth behind the Despairing Incident from the first game? Did something really happen to the outside world, or is it all a lie perpetuated by Monobear and SHSL Despair?

Are there any questions or mysteries I missed, or is this a comprehensive list?

Whatever happened to the Transylvania Twist?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Stoat posted:

Last night I was thinking about this and I think I've guessed the twist. I'm going to spoiler it because honestly I think I've got it right. Disclaimer: No I didn't go and check I'm not a dick :argh:

Someone please prove me wrong, I want to not be right but I have that sinking feeling I am. :ohdear:

There's no way Togami is the mastermind, he's been seen both around Monomi and Monobear not operating any controls, plus they checked his pulse when his body was discovered. Dude was deader than dead.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013
It occurs to me that, at this point in DR1, we already had 5 people down, out of a group that only started with 15. And 3 more died in Chapter 3. Then the pace slackened and only one more person died for the rest of the game (well, two if you count Junko)... So far in DR2 we're losing the cast at a much more controlled pace. I wonder if this game is going to have more chapters than the first game, more survivors, or a massive kill off... I'm pretty cool with all of these options.

I'll be honest, there are only maybe 4 people I'm still hoping will survive- Hinata is kind of a given, plus Nanami, Gundam, and Ibuki. Souda, Sonia and Akane I could take or leave. Most of the rest just seem to be waiting for their turns to die. Kuzuryuu will probably go full Ishimaru and come back with an awesome scar, become amazing, and die horribly by the time the chapter ends. Nagito is a wild card and I really can't predict what direction he's going in or whose side he's really on.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

The mecha suit wasn't her idea, though. She just wanted Yamada to make a suit that would conceal a person's identity. It was his stupidity that introduced that particular flaw.
The appearance of the suit wasn't the problem. It was stupid and weird, but so was Genocider Syo. The mecha suit served its initial purpose fine. The flaw of the suit was its unbending waist, but that was a "feature" Celes requested so that they could setup Hagakure. All the flaws in Celes's plan came directly from Celes even though she did try to blame Ultragoon.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Luna Was Here posted:

There's no way Togami is the mastermind, he's been seen both around Monomi and Monobear not operating any controls, plus they checked his pulse when his body was discovered. Dude was deader than dead.

Oh they did check his pulse! :toot:

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Stoat posted:

Oh they did check his pulse! :toot:

But can you check a pulse through a fatsuit?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. Buttass posted:

Whatever happened to the Transylvania Twist?

And who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Stoat posted:

Togami in a fat suit has been discussed to death from the second we saw Fatgami. There's no need to spoiler this. That said, it's also pretty unlikely. I think they'd notice it was a fatsuit after they caught him still breathing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Who What Now posted:

Togami in a fat suit has been discussed to death from the second we saw Fatgami. There's no need to spoiler this. That said, it's also pretty unlikely. I think they'd notice it was a fatsuit after they caught him still breathing.

It was a really, really fat suit.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It was a really, really fat suit.

It was a mechanical fat suit that could emulate being dead perfectly.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Heliotrope posted:

It was a mechanical fat suit that could emulate being dead perfectly.

There must be a magical fat suit around this joke because it just won't die, either! :v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
hahahaha, fat suit. That's a classic crazy Dangan Ronpa theory.
But seriously, the Togami of this game is dead. Whether or not that's the same person as the Togami from the first game is unknown. He could have been an impostor.
As for the mastermind behind Monobear, yeah, I don't think it could be any of them. However, the same cannot be said of Monomi. It would make a lot of sense if someone in the group was either controlling Monomi, or collaborating with her.
The "traitor" has to be someone that was not part of their class. If even Monobear doesn't know who it is, it means this person is not necessarily an antagonistic presence. My guess is it's either Togami (whether fake or real it would make sense), OR Hinata, because he doesn't know what his talent is, and they're not pulling the same twist twice. Hinata is not super lucky or super hopeful or super anything. Maybe he's not super at all. Perhaps Nagito believes he and Hinata are alike because neither of them really have an extraordinary talent.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I hope the game ends where all the characters just die from the plague and the creators give the fans a big fat gently caress off because holy poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Austrian mook posted:

I hope the game ends where all the characters just die from the plague and the creators give the fans a big fat gently caress off because holy poo poo.

Oh please, this isn't a Cavia game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Happy Landfill posted:

You're right, Cavia has far fewer fans!

And I'm one of them. :smith:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Austrian mook posted:

Except Komaeda, Komaeda lives because having all of his friends die is the ultimate despair.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

alcharagia posted:

Except Komaeda, Komaeda lives because having all of his friends die is the ultimate despair.

Honestly, I think it's just get him off.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Apparently Gundam Tanaka and Joseph Joestar from JJBA: ASB share the same VA and someone drew the following as a result. I'm not sure how many people who aren't Jojo's fans will find this funny but it amused me, at least:

Original post.

Monokeros
Nov 17, 2010

I feel compelled to inform you of the following:

A Bystander posted:

Apparently Gundam Tanaka and Joseph Joestar from JJBA: ASB share the same VA and someone drew the following as a result. I'm not sure how many people who aren't Jojo's fans will find this funny but it amused me, at least:

Original post.

Yes Sugita is the dood, and if in some wacky way they pull this off in the game that would be hilarious (wasn't this game released in the same time period as the "newer" Jojo anime actually?)

on topic with the game I gotta say I'm feeling more and more like Nanami is going to live until the end, and also Ibuki. I'm getting some Oogamiish self-sacrifice vibes off of Nidai though, especially with how he was training Akane earlier in the chapter though I really can't think of how that would tie into a murder (unless he's a robot-traitor or something with all the lightning sparking off of him but that'd be silly now wouldn't it) Most of my hunches are based off of the last surviving cast of the first game, and despite them taking jabs at themselves for almost reusing the serial killer twist from DR1 I wouldn't be too odd for them to have some similarities in the surviving cast members.

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

Bean posted:

What about the timeline? I feel like we can definitively say that DR2 happens sometime after DR1, but is it like fifteen minutes or fifty years after? Another possibility is that they're occurring concurrently, and Naegi et all will pop out of the ruins after defeating their Monobear.

Where did Monobear get the Monobeasts? Do they figure into the plot?

And, most pressing: the hell with that virtual bunny game? I'm waiting for that to tie into the final solution or something crazy.

Can you clarify why (assuming Togami is not the same Togami) this couldn't be happening before DR1? I don't think I've seen anything yet that absolutely proves that.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Happy Landfill posted:

Also, there's no children. Children always get hosed in a Cavia game. Often literally.

Monokeros
Nov 17, 2010

I feel compelled to inform you of the following:

zetsubous posted:

Can you clarify why (assuming Togami is not the same Togami) this couldn't be happening before DR1? I don't think I've seen anything yet that absolutely proves that.

I'm all for the theory of this happening at the same time. Actually when I saw the first playthrough of the game it always struck me as odd as there was only ONE class of super-high-school-level students when it was very obvious that it was a whole school of SHSL students. So it's highly possible that this is just ANOTHER class who have to go through the hope trial and junk. One of the many issues with this though is the similarities between Komaeda and our Protag buddy of DR1 Naegi and also Togami overlapping but him being the first killed kinda makes it like the "fake" Naegi was eliminating the contradictions (since he did actually state that he new this Togami would sacrifice himself to protect him) Also the fact that Naegi's SHSL skills were Hope and Good Luck match up with how Komaeda has both although his idea of hope is twisted to a SHSL as well haha... Also there's the issue of Junko piloting more than one Monokuma (AND if it's even her again which would be kind of a letdown so that's probably a huge no) although that doesn't seem to be a difficult feat considering some of the executions we've seen in both games.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

zetsubous posted:

In the last update, Monobear says Nagito reminds him of Naegi, so they've already met each other. (Likely Monobear's already heard him say a bunch of stuff about hope over dispair too.)

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Ratoslov posted:

Also, there's no children. Children always get hosed in a Cavia game. Often literally.

Literally every single character in this game is a child.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Bean posted:

In the last update, Monobear says Nagito reminds him of Naegi, so they've already met each other. (Likely Monobear's already heard him say a bunch of stuff about hope over dispair too.)

Also Monobear's statements regarding the reveal that one of the students is a serial killer, were basically "What, again?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A Bystander posted:

Wow, I literally just started watching JJBA last week, so it's kinda strange to see a message about it suddenly.

But, in retrospect, they do sound pretty similar! I wonder if Gundam is supposed to be a parody of a JJBA character. He seems eccentric enough for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think he's really meant to be a parody of any character in specific - he just talks like cliche anime villains in general. He has as much in common with, say, Dio Brando, as he does Cell from DBZ.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Gundam's actually a character archetype that's gained popularity in Japan over the past couple years called "Chuunibyou" (roughly "Eighth-Grader Syndrome"). Quoting Urban Dictinary:

quote:

A Japanese slang term which roughly translates to "Middle School 2nd Year Syndrome". People with chuunibyou either act like a know-it-all adult and look down on real ones, or believe they have special powers unlike others.

This is a common stage in growth; for most people, it happens--you guessed it--around the 2nd year of middle school (Grade 8 in Japan). However, the problem is, there are some grown-ups who have this symptom... Evil Eye-Type admires mystical powers and pretends to have one of their own, to the extent of establishing an alias just for that.
An example of Evil Eye Chuunibyou:
"Don't take that bandana off my left wrist. It's sealing an evil spirit inside me and if you take it off I may go berserk."
"Dude, calm down. You just have chuunibyou."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CandyCrazy posted:

Gundam's actually a character archetype that's gained popularity in Japan over the past couple years called "Chuunibyou" (roughly "Eighth-Grader Syndrome"). Quoting Urban Dictinary:

Known in America as "Tumblr Syndrome." :v:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

CandyCrazy posted:

Cause if there is one thing the Internet needs more of, it is japanese words for rear end-hat.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID

CandyCrazy posted:

See also: http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Chuunibyou_Demo_Koi_ga_Shitai!

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

Bean posted:

He doesn't actually say Naegi's name, though. He just says "him." Actually, I'm assuming the Japanese is "ano hito," which actually means "that person," but I also assume Oren knows what's coming well enough to know that there should be a male pronoun there.

I'm not saying it's not likely to be Naegi, but I think we're doing ourselves a disservice if we treat that as actual fact.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That still doesn't discredit the 'what, again' when Pekoyama tries to play serial killer. Those are his exact words.

One possibility is that this takes place at around the same time as the first game, though. Syo's reveal happened in Chapter 2 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Endorph posted:

That still doesn't discredit the 'what, again' when Pekoyama tries to play serial killer. Those are his exact words.

One possibility is that this takes place at around the same time as the first game, though. Syo's reveal happened in Chapter 2 as well.

That's one possibility I was entertaining: it's possible that DR1 just ended, like, five minutes after DR1's second trial or something, and DR2 isn't going on totally concurrently, but just askew.

I have no idea how that makes Togami factor in, though. The simplest might be to just say that DR1's already ended, in that case.

• Locked thread