Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

master of the wind is freaking awful. a lot of the games that have awards on rpgmaker sites are awful because of the program's ability to attract fifteen year olds.

these are not long but they are great:

Rise of the Third Power (not even finished, basically a demo but wow good feelings. kind of hard to explain why it is so good feeling but play it and ye shall know...)
Rose Chronicles (download link (also not finished but very beautiful and a triumph of intelligent game design. hard to find a download link of the latest version. i will ask my contacts)
Balmung Cycle is very good game with Treasure of the Rudras graphics and norse mythology.
Sunset Over Imdahl is not an RPG. there are no battles. There are just some minigames and you talking to people, trying to figure out what happened to the town you are in. All of the backgrounds are hand-drawn and the game looks very pretty.

as for longer games~~ unfortunately last scenario and exit fate are top-tier and nothing really comes close...but..

The Way is kind of polarizing. it's an episodic series with a very interesting world which the author never really explained very well because he was going through some severe mental trauma of some kind when he was making the latter games. This video is a good metaphor for how the series ends. Also, a lot of items and scenes you will just not find without a walkthrough, which does exist. That said, I really like collecting stuff and playing as an amoral, psychotic murderer, so this is cool. Also, it has the option to turn regular battles off, which I like. Along with Exit Fate and Last Scenario, this is the only rpgmaker game (games) I have ever replayed.
Dhux's Scar has an interesting plot and characters+battle archetypes until about halfway through the game. At 3/4 of the way through I found myself saying "Really....Really..." because of how bad things had gotten. Consider playing until "the twist" (you will know) and then stopping because anything you make up will be better than what comes next. Also, it features customized rpgmaker gore.

there are some good rpgmaker games in this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

So here's a list of retro-style jRPG games on the PC:

Penny Arcade 3 and 4
Breath of Death VII
Cthulu Saves the World
Dragon Fantasy
Two Brothers

I'm sure there have to be others I'm missing. If there are, can someone point them out to me? I absolutely adore this era of jRPG, likely because recent history has ruined the entire sub-genre.

It's not extremely noteworthy, but there's Serious Sam: The Random Encounter. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is getting a PC port, or at least the first two chapters are. There's also Knights of Pen and Paper. And, of course, who can forget Space Funeral?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Guys talking about JRPGs on PC - I just started Evoland last night and it is absolutely worth giving a go. It might only keep you entertained for a few hours (it is apparently very short) but it had me laughing a few times, and is not a full priced title.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Friendly Factory posted:

Two Brothers isn't a menu battler, but Ys games haven't grabbed me in the past. Are the newer ones better than the older ones?

Yes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

Guys talking about JRPGs on PC - I just started Evoland last night and it is absolutely worth giving a go. It might only keep you entertained for a few hours (it is apparently very short) but it had me laughing a few times, and is not a full priced title.

Everyone else I've heard from about that game had nothing but bad things to say about it. What's so good about it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Friendly Factory posted:

So here's a list of retro-style jRPG games on the PC:

Penny Arcade 3 and 4
Breath of Death VII
Cthulu Saves the World
Dragon Fantasy
Two Brothers

I'm sure there have to be others I'm missing. If there are, can someone point them out to me? I absolutely adore this era of jRPG, likely because recent history has ruined the entire sub-genre.
Exit Fate is Not!Suikoden, and also really good. The writing's a bit stiff in places and the art varies from 'bland but decent' to 'holy poo poo what' but the combat system is actually interesting and fun, and makes some interesting steps away from both JRPG formula and the games it's specifically based off of.

Though it has the Suikoden problem of some of the characters just being complete jobbers, and others having absurd recruitment requirements. Protip: There's a cat in every city in the early game, hunt down that cat and talk to him in every city, because believe it or not he's one of the best characters in the game. You also need him to recruit another good character.

Also maybe it's just me but even though the protagonist is meant to be an all-rounder who's average in every category, I got way more use out of him sticking him in the backrow and having him on healing duty.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 25, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

It's a fun, light-hearted self-referential trip down RPG history. I am only an hour or so in, and I don't know where it will go from here - but if people play this expecting a full-blown RPG then of course they will be disappointed. The dev(s) make some good jibes at RPG cliches and things you regular see in the genre. I got it for a decent price on GOG and don't regret the decision at all. It's something you could easily finish in one or two sittings, and will enjoy if you don't have your critic hat on.

I agree with much of what the destructoid reviewer wrote, and also do feel that if the game does not change from where I am now (which I am guessing is circa Nintendo 64 era) and I have to play it as is for too long, I might tire of this part.

I do feel the devs breezed too quickly through the 8 and 16 bit generations, and maybe if they spent more time balancing each era to a 20 or 30 minute experience, the overall product might be better. I'm an hour in, loving it, but part of the love stems from how much variation I have seen thus far. If this slows too much, the next few hours might be more of a drag.

Lazy Programming posted:

Get through the second act, report back.
Exactly my concern... :)

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 25, 2013

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

BadAstronaut posted:

It's a fun, light-hearted self-referential trip down RPG history. I am only an hour or so in, and I don't know where it will go from here - but if people play this expecting a full-blown RPG then of course they will be disappointed. The dev(s) make some good jibes at RPG cliches and things you regular see in the genre. I got it for a decent price on GOG and don't regret the decision at all. It's something you could easily finish in one or two sittings, and will enjoy if you don't have your critic hat on.

Get through the second act, report back.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadAstronaut posted:

Yeah, uh, the villain is literally named Sephiroth and he kills an Aeris analogue. It's not clever or intriguing at all and it squanders everything it could've been the second you get to the 3D areas. It's a game that had potential, but all that's left is a broken record that screams "HAH! REMEMBER THAT?! WASN'T IT FUNNY THE TIME THIS HAPPENED IN THAT ONE GAME?!!!!!" at the same joke over and over. It had its chance to be its own thing, but it's basically an incredibly bland and effortless ripoff that doesn't even have the presence of mind to give itself an over-the-top Beath of Flams treatment.

The best way I can sum it up in a single sentence is that Evoland is like those "dictionary of RPG cliches" joke pages from the late 90s like you'd find on Geocities, except those had the benefit of their humor not being a decade and a half old.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 25, 2013

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 4, 2018

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Friendly Factory posted:

So Origin or Oath in Felghana?

Origin. They're both excellent but Origin.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I never could get into Exit Fate. Probably because early random encounters can easily last several minutes as a group of bats dodgetanks everything you throw at them.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

dis astranagant posted:

I never could get into Exit Fate. Probably because early random encounters can easily last several minutes as a group of bats dodgetanks everything you throw at them.

Same. I really wanted to like it, but it was tedious and a worse Suikoden. Didn't help that the characters were fuckin' awful. Last Scenario was way better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Weird, I don't remember random battles taking that long, ever. The very first dungeon is a little boring but it's over quickly. It's been a while since I played but did you put everyone in the back row or something?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 25, 2013

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

Weird, I don't remember random battles taking that long, ever. The very first dungeon is a little boring but it's over quickly. It's been a while since I played but did you put everyone in the back row or something?

It's definitely possible to run into big problems later on if you use characters with low weapon accuracy and don't keep their accuracy fully upgraded all the time (which gets expensive as hell; the weapon upgrade system is the worst thing about Exit Fate and actively discourages you from experimenting with different characters), but I'm not sure how things could get that bad that early.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

The best way I can sum it up in a single sentence is that Evoland is like those "dictionary of RPG cliches" joke pages from the late 90s like you'd find on Geocities, except those had the benefit of their humor not being a decade and a half old.

Yeah, Evoland is just going through the motions. There's no effort apart from the nice pre-rendered backgrounds, and absolutely no passion for the source material. It's a great concept that someone who was willing to put real thought into could have made special, but the actual result is just a waste of time.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

drat - seems like I am through all the good stuff already then. Shrug. Maybe time to just move on to something else rather than spend more time playing a game that's not really going to end up being very good...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

But man, if you're genuinely loving it (like you seem to be) don't let us scare you off!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is why I rarely talk about games I like until I'm finished playing them - when others start pointing out flaws, I see them too and it tends to sully my opinion :(

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah I loved the first hour but from all reports this seems to be where the fun drops off...

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I just picked up a 3DS because I have a weird affinity for Nintendo franchises, but can't justify a Wii U, and I would I also like to get back into jRPGs. What would you guys recommend out of the combined DS and 3 DS catalogs?

Some if my past favorites include DQ8, Chrono Trigger, FF9 & FF12. I've already picked up a Radiant Historia and am strongly considering one of the DQ remakes and one of the Mario & Luigi games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Get Bowser's Inside Story if you're going to get a M&L.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 4, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I just picked up a 3DS because I have a weird affinity for Nintendo franchises, but can't justify a Wii U, and I would I also like to get back into jRPGs. What would you guys recommend out of the combined DS and 3 DS catalogs?

Some if my past favorites include DQ8, Chrono Trigger, FF9 & FF12. I've already picked up a Radiant Historia and am strongly considering one of the DQ remakes and one of the Mario & Luigi games.

All three of the Dragon Quest remakes on DS are worth your time. You will certainly be swarmed with recommendations for the Etrian Odyssey series, and Shin Megami Tensei IV came out not too long ago. You will either love or hate Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, as it's one of the more unique and thoughtful retro-throwback JRPGs out there but it's also got some glaring shortcomings that never quite go away.

On the Nintendo side of things, you probably already know about Fire Emblem: Awakening and the forthcoming Pokemon games. You may also want to look into the Denpa Men franchise on the eshop; the second one completely subsumes the first one so don't bother with it, but I've heard the third one is coming out soon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The DS was awash with good to great JRPGs, though many were remakes or ports.

Bowser's Inside Story
Various Shin Megami Tensei titles
Etrian Odyssey series
The World Ends With You
Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX (If you have to pick one, go with V)
Final Fantasy IV DS
Front Mission

Took out a few that you had already mentioned. I haven't gotten too far into the 3DS library yet, but Fire Emblem is extremely popular.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Is Fire Emblem similar to Final Fantasy Tactics in that it's mainly story and battles trading off with no exploration of the world, exploration is never mentioned in the reviews I've read, so I'm assuming it is.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Is Fire Emblem similar to Final Fantasy Tactics in that it's mainly story and battles trading off with no exploration of the world, exploration is never mentioned in the reviews I've read, so I'm assuming it is.

Yes. You finish a battle, then go to the next point on your map for the next story battle. The new one added side missions you could do to get new characters though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The guys have recommended most of the best games, for sure, so I'll chime in to say that Fire Emblem Awakening is one of the best games I have ever played in my life, hands down, and unless you need the exploration and random conversations side of things, you must pick it up.

The Dragon Quest games are awesome - I loved IX and IV, and am currently playing V and thick into it. DQ VI lost my attention about 5 hours in for some reason. Dunno why, but something about it didn't grab me as much as the others. I'll most probably give it another go some time in the future.

Agree with the Final Fantasy Four Heroes sum-up by Bongo Bill... it didn't do it for me at all, even though I could see it was a solid effort and they've done some cool things. I'm just not nearly as much of a FF fan as I am of DQ.

Chrono Trigger is a non-negotiable must play. Get it now if you have not already.

And have a look at Ocarina of Time if you consider that RPG enough...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadAstronaut posted:

Agree with the Final Fantasy Four Heroes sum-up by Bongo Bill... it didn't do it for me at all, even though I could see it was a solid effort and they've done some cool things. I'm just not nearly as much of a FF fan as I am of DQ.
Thing about 4HL is that there's just something lacking about its worldbuilding. They had a great chance to do something with their lategame setup, but the payoff is assumed and hardly even seen in the ending. It squanders its charm on a static world and had some very bad mechanical decisions. Cute, but if this were ten years ago, it'd be the kind of game you'd be advised to rent, not buy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Thing about 4HL is that there's just something lacking about its worldbuilding. They had a great chance to do something with their lategame setup, but the payoff is assumed and hardly even seen in the ending. It squanders its charm on a static world and had some very bad mechanical decisions. Cute, but if this were ten years ago, it'd be the kind of game you'd be advised to rent, not buy.

I think the vague, sparsely detailed setting worked in its favor, doing a lot to establish the mood of the game as sort of a dreamlike experience. The real problem is that the dungeons are uniformly terrible, featureless, cramped labyrinths, and you spend the first half of the game without a full party. And it needed more convenient ways to interact with the gem system in the late game when you start needing equipment upgrades.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

And it needed more convenient ways to interact with the gem system in the late game when you start needing equipment upgrades.

Ew, yeah, absolutely. I just remembered that part. The whole thing where you can't access the forge for like a good quarter of the game? Completely unacceptable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They say that if you make a game twice, it gets better. If I were the king of video games, I'd want to see 4 Heroes of Light get a very conservative sequel with enough of a budget to make the dungeons look as good as the towns.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

BadAstronaut posted:

Chrono Trigger is a non-negotiable must play. Get it now if you have not already.

And have a look at Ocarina of Time if you consider that RPG enough...
Is the DS version of Chrono Trigger worth it if I already have it readily available in other formats (iOS and PSN?).

I've already taken the stroll down the OoT memory lane and am greatly anticipating a Link Betwen Worlds. The Zelda franchise was one of my drivers to get the system.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, it's been a little overwhelming to figure out the best options in such a deep catalog.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Is the DS version of Chrono Trigger worth it if I already have it readily available in other formats (iOS and PSN?).

The iOS and PSN versions of Chrono Trigger are terrible. Loading times and bad controls abound. The DS version is probably the best overall (the only possible downside is if you really like the original SNES translation, which isn't even that different from the new one) (the added content (which is also in the iOS version) should be skipped).

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
How is the new Fire Emblem title? A friend is hooking me up with a preowned 3DS XL & Awakening, i'm not all that familiar with the franchise so i was just gonna sell it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you like RPGs or SRPGs, it's worth playing. If you haven't played a SRPG before, it's a pretty good introduction to the genre. If you have any interest at all, it's worth playing just because you might as well if it's already pre-owned (so presumably opened.)

It's one of the best RPGs on the 3DS so far, but if that phrase has no meaning to you it isn't gonna change your mind.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I would hesitate to attach the word "strategy" to any fire emblem title, but this one most of all. you should play it if you really enjoy seeing your numbers go up and critical attack chances.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

I would hesitate to attach the word "strategy" to any fire emblem title, but this one most of all. you should play it if you really enjoy seeing your numbers go up and critical attack chances.
Uhh, what? Which ones have you played? FE13 is pretty easy yeah, I won't deny that, but a lot of the games in the series are plenty hard and do require strategy, at least on the higher difficulties.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's time for us to get all of our hopes up over the next couple months only to have them horribly dashed. Atlus and the Persona team are up to something: http://p-ch.jp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's time for us to get all of our hopes up over the next couple months only to have them horribly dashed. Atlus and the Persona team are up to something: http://p-ch.jp/

It's probably just location testing for the new P4A revision since it lists cities.