Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Possibly a little late, but:

Kikka posted:

I want to get into the Paradox games. Do you recommend Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis IV?

CK2 has been the better "gateway game" in my experience, because its focus on the nobility - with their individual quirks and foibles - gives the player something to relate to. Sure, it's fun to say "I took Dublin away from the Irish," but it's more fun, IMHO, to say "I took Dublin away from the jerk who tried getting the Pope to excommunicate me just because I slept with his wife and matrilineally married his son off to a Russian Countess."

At any rate, I have had much less of a problem getting my friends interested in CK2 - hell, one friend tells me his seven-year old son loves the game too and will sit with his Dad and watch him play and ask questions about the various nobles all day. "Daddy, don't execute that prisoner, he's Humble and Kind, you should let him go so he can teach his King not to be so mean." :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

PittTheElder posted:

Indeed, your mercs really shouldn't count against your forcelimits. It doesn't make sense that your regular troops get exponentially more expensive because you hired a bunch of mercenaries.

Think of your force limit as the amount of troops you can supply. Within the limit everything is fine, but as you get beyond the ready supply stuff gets more expensive due to demand outstripping supply and/or the additional costs of shipping it further.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alchenar posted:

If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed with EU4 (starting with high expectations). It's a wonderful game and a step forwards in almost every way, but for the fact that it seems to be missing that little bit of narrative magic which gets me stories like 'that time in CK2 where my English king got the throne of France, then lost and all French lands when he died, but then a month later half the French dukes launched a rebellion in favour of his son and I got all of France back' or 'that time in VK2 when the crisis over Greek independence spiralled into a Great War where 10% of Germany's population died and communist rebels took over'.

It feels like you probably have to be playing multiplayer to get that experience.

This remains my view on the difference between EU4 and CK2. They're both good. I haven't had a chance to play EU4 MP yet but I have every confidence that it's really fun (it's telling that all the EU4 previews were done with journalists being ushered in to play multiplayer sessions with each other). But CK2 remains the game that will drip feed you narrative hooks constantly to keep you engaged with what's going on, whereas the EU4 solo experience does tend to suffer from the age old 'all I'm doing is spreading my colour over the map' EU problem.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

maev posted:

On the subject of national standing armies, I always found it amusing that cortez's expedition to mexico had a ton of italians, portugese, geonese and an African(!) in it. Reading books like Henry Kamen's 'Spain's road to empire' really highlights how much of a factor mercenaries were in 'national armies', and indeed the massive limitations on the state at every level until the 19th century.
Keep in mind that Spain is not indicative of the rest of Europe in terms of the amount of mercenaries used. Spain was more reliant on them, and more belligerent, because it receives regular shiploads of gold from a globe-spanning colonial empire established for little more than extracting wealth.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mercs count against forcelimits? gently caress, this explains a lot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They sure do. It's what has made my attempts to form Russia as Novgorod so excruciating.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
The United Kingdom is the absolute worst ally in Victoria. Three wars with them called in while fighting no other wars and I saw almost nothing of their forces besides one tiny stack. Of course, when I'm fighting against them they swarm my provinces.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
They should probably only count partially towards the forcelimit, maybe half or so. The state still has to furnish supplies, but most is taken care of by the company itself. They still count towards supply limits, so it doesn't affect the mercs still having to forage.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

synertia posted:

The United Kingdom is the absolute worst ally in Victoria. Three wars with them called in while fighting no other wars and I saw almost nothing of their forces besides one tiny stack. Of course, when I'm fighting against them they swarm my provinces.

I believe HoD made them better at landing armies, but they suck at rebuilding their navy if it gets hosed up, which it usually does eventually. Really, it's kind of amazing how irrelevant GB can be outside of colonialism and spheres, considering it was basically the great power for most of Vicky's time period.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Mercs count against forcelimits? gently caress, this explains a lot.

I wouldn't have minded in EU3 when I would savescum compulsively, but now that there's ironman it's very frustrating to not be able to win close wars with mercs. Ironman is brutal in general.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I just finished my game as the Netherlands and ended up as Number 5 in the world. Not terrible for my first game of Victoria 2 but I really screwed the pooch on colonization.

I'm planning on starting a new game as Sweden soon and have read a little about the strategy, but it seems at odds with each other. To form Scandinavia both Finland and Denmark are required. The best way to get Denmark is to sphere it requiring great power status while the easiest path to Finland is to increase tensions as a secondary power. Is there a best way to do this? I was planning on tech-ing culture while increasing tensions right off the bat to liberate Finland, hopefully war breaks out before I'm a great power and I can sphere Denmark, Finland becomes free and I have sphered Denmark allowing Scandinavia.

Following that I want to race to colonial techs while keeping up with Culture for the prestige, demanding concessions from Morocco or another weak African nation to get a foothold, and then getting into colonization. It's so many moving parts, though, it's bound to fall apart. Is there a good solid path to take?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Puella Magissima posted:

I believe HoD made them better at landing armies, but they suck at rebuilding their navy if it gets hosed up, which it usually does eventually. Really, it's kind of amazing how irrelevant GB can be outside of colonialism and spheres, considering it was basically the great power for most of Vicky's time period.

I think it may be time to add the Assume Military Control option from Hearts of Iron to other games...

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

synertia posted:

I just finished my game as the Netherlands and ended up as Number 5 in the world. Not terrible for my first game of Victoria 2 but I really screwed the pooch on colonization.

I'm planning on starting a new game as Sweden soon and have read a little about the strategy, but it seems at odds with each other. To form Scandinavia both Finland and Denmark are required. The best way to get Denmark is to sphere it requiring great power status while the easiest path to Finland is to increase tensions as a secondary power. Is there a best way to do this? I was planning on tech-ing culture while increasing tensions right off the bat to liberate Finland, hopefully war breaks out before I'm a great power and I can sphere Denmark, Finland becomes free and I have sphered Denmark allowing Scandinavia.

Following that I want to race to colonial techs while keeping up with Culture for the prestige, demanding concessions from Morocco or another weak African nation to get a foothold, and then getting into colonization. It's so many moving parts, though, it's bound to fall apart. Is there a good solid path to take?

IIRC, all you need to do as Sweden to form Scandinavia in vanilla is to sphere Denmark, no need to take your cores in Finland. It's way too easy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Puella Magissima posted:

Really, it's kind of amazing how irrelevant GB can be outside of colonialism and spheres, considering it was basically the great power for most of Vicky's time period.

IRL Britain tried to hem to its policy of "glorious isolation" towards the other powers pretty firmly 1815-1902 (when the Anglo-Japanese Alliance became the first real post-Napoleonic British long-term alliance with a Great Power). Even the Crimean War was more a joint "Hands off Turkey" effort by the British and French than a product of an actual alliance between the two.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Preserving the balance of power while maintaining naval and economic supremacy abroad was pretty much Britain's deal. Sending a relatively small British expeditionary force somewhere on the continent is about as much as you should get, though probably with a bit less of the ineptitude.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

maev posted:

Preserving the balance of power while maintaining naval and economic supremacy abroad was pretty much Britain's deal. Sending a relatively small British expeditionary force somewhere on the continent is about as much as you should get, though probably with a bit less of the ineptitude.

I guess in real life the prospect of a blockade was enough to make it so that Britain never actually had to actually intervene to maintain the balance of power, the implied threat being enough. Vicky is a world where everyone knows GB is all bark and no bite and thus always calls their bluff, resulting in a Britain that does get in a lot of wars, but is rarely competent. The worst of both worlds.

Still better than British Norway though.

edit: It's always cool to see a picture you recognize from a Vicky event or decision.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 24, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've been futzing around as Punjab trying to unite India, and Great Britain is my greatest foe. Really, the limp-wristed "Expeditionary force" Britain only applies if you're playing somewhere other than South Asia, because I just get hammered by Britain and their five million billion slave soldiers anytime I make an attempt on their lands.

I even invented machine guns and poison gas before them, but they still keep coming and coming.

Help. :(

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm trying to play HOI2:DD Armageddon on a windows 8, 64 bit machine and it looks like absolute horse poo poo. The graphics are fuzzy and dull, and the cursor and scrolling are jumpy. I tried playing around in compatibility mode but I couldn't find a solution. Is there a way to fix this?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Did someone say official windowed support for EU4?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'm trying to play HOI2:DD Armageddon on a windows 8, 64 bit machine and it looks like absolute horse poo poo. The graphics are fuzzy and dull, and the cursor and scrolling are jumpy. I tried playing around in compatibility mode but I couldn't find a solution. Is there a way to fix this?

Yes, upgrade to Darkest Hour which has far better support for modern resolutions and in general is the best HOI2 build. The version of HOI2 you are playing came out in 2006. There have been a few patches since!

Also if you're trying to play the Armageddon scenario don't bother, it's really badly written, has zero events and most of the world is impoverished and the economy will grind to a heart almost instantly. It was designed as a 'balanced' fantasy multiplayer scenario.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 25, 2013

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

PittTheElder posted:

They sure do. It's what has made my attempts to form Russia as Novgorod so excruciating.

Funnily enough, in my Great Britain game Novgorod formed the Republic of Russia all on its own, without any intervention on my part. This was pre-1.2, though.

Lum_ posted:

Yes, upgrade to Darkest Hour which has far better support for modern resolutions and in general is the best HOI2 build. The version of HOI2 you are playing came out in 2006. There have been a few patches since!

Also if you're trying to play the Armageddon scenario don't bother, it's really badly written, has zero events and most of the world is impoverished and the economy will grind to a heart almost instantly. It was designed as a 'balanced' fantasy multiplayer scenario.

That scenario always came across to me as a much stupider version of Kaiserreich.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
March of the Eagles and Sengoku are available in the new Indie Royale bundle. Good deal if you want to round up your Paradox collection like I did.

I know Sengoku is supposed to be mediocre, but are there any essential mods like Reign of the Ancients for Rome?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Burning Rain posted:

March of the Eagles and Sengoku are available in the new Indie Royale bundle. Good deal if you want to round up your Paradox collection like I did.

I know Sengoku is supposed to be mediocre, but are there any essential mods like Reign of the Ancients for Rome?

I've never heard of any mods for Sengoku full-stop. I think Riso made a Japan mod for CK2, you might as well just play that instead.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bishop Rodan posted:

Funnily enough, in my Great Britain game Novgorod formed the Republic of Russia all on its own, without any intervention on my part. This was pre-1.2, though.

I think I'm just going to need to start game after game, and pray that the Hordes actually attack Muscovy for once. At the moment, they're not doing that at all.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

PittTheElder posted:

I think I'm just going to need to start game after game, and pray that the Hordes actually attack Muscovy for once. At the moment, they're not doing that at all.

In most games I've seen, the hordes attack Muscovy in the most inefficient ways possible. Whenever they form grand alliances like Crimea-Kazan-Nogai, they just end up going after Georgia, the Golden Horde and Timurids, and maybe once their manpower is spent, a token assault on Muscovy. I almost think the AI weighing for hordes should prioritize wars against non-hordes, rather than using their entire alliance's force on raiding other nomads, just to encourage wars with Muscovy.

In my sister's Novgorod game, she has managed to deal a fatal blow to Muscovy and is now taking Moskva, mostly through an alliance with Denmark and a timely invasion of Muscovy during a Muscovite invasion of Kazan. Then just play it safe until the Scandinavians arrive and you team up to crump the Muscovites.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Did someone say official windowed support for EU4?

Not only is there now official windowed support, but borderless windowed as well!

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not only is there now official windowed support, but borderless windowed as well!

Now all we need is an official Mac launcher :(

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

You could try this mod to make it a bit less boring.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DrProsek posted:

In most games I've seen, the hordes attack Muscovy in the most inefficient ways possible. Whenever they form grand alliances like Crimea-Kazan-Nogai, they just end up going after Georgia, the Golden Horde and Timurids, and maybe once their manpower is spent, a token assault on Muscovy. I almost think the AI weighing for hordes should prioritize wars against non-hordes, rather than using their entire alliance's force on raiding other nomads, just to encourage wars with Muscovy.

In my sister's Novgorod game, she has managed to deal a fatal blow to Muscovy and is now taking Moskva, mostly through an alliance with Denmark and a timely invasion of Muscovy during a Muscovite invasion of Kazan. Then just play it safe until the Scandinavians arrive and you team up to crump the Muscovites.

How did she get Denmark to actually help her? I've tried having alliances with both Poland and Denmark (either of whom are a match for Muscovy thanks to their PU minors, but don't seem to know that), and neither of them has ever honored it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

I want that multi-volume history.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Patter Song posted:

I want that multi-volume history.

The article on the bottom right is the best

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kersch posted:

Yeah. I'm working on a V2: Jan Mayen LP and that image is from my testrun. Playing the real run now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kersch posted:

It borders on avatar quality material.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Lum_ posted:

Darkest Hour it is, thanks!

Is there any word on Paradox attempting a HOI4, or has HOI3 killed the franchise off forever?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Don't be too harsh on HoI3, it has Middlesbrough as a province in England. Boro representation, in a game? Deserves at least 1 extra star.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

has HOI3 killed the franchise off forever?

IIRC, HOI3 is the bestselling Paradox developed game ever, so nope.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

maev posted:

Don't be too harsh on HoI3, it has Middlesbrough as a province in England. Boro representation, in a game? Deserves at least 1 extra star.

I never played HOI3, to be honest. I just saw what a train wreck the launch was (even for a Paradox game) and gladly went on playing HOI2 for a bit before forgetting about Paradox games in general.

I bought CKII during the steam sale. It's a ton of fun, but I've got the itch to turn America into a socialist paradise, bring the glorious worker's revolution to the rest of the Western Hemisphere, and then crush those thuggish Fascists and those back stabbing Stalinists.

You just can't do that in CKII.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its actually really fun! No other game lets you sperg out so much about national OOBs.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

PittTheElder posted:

How did she get Denmark to actually help her? I've tried having alliances with both Poland and Denmark (either of whom are a match for Muscovy thanks to their PU minors, but don't seem to know that), and neither of them has ever honored it.

Sadly I have no idea. All that she did that I noticed was continuing to boost relations with Denmark, Sweden and Norway after they were already in her alliance but I don't think that had much of an impact. Might have just been dumb luck :(.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Baloogan posted:

Its actually really fun! No other game lets you sperg out so much about national OOBs.

I just bought Darkest Hour and I'm sure this will tide me over for a while. Next time HOI3 and Semper Fi are on sale I'll look into getting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Back when Doomsday came out, I joined the chorus on the paradox forums demanding something similar to the division system they ended up putting in HoI3, and it turned out to be poorly executed from both a historical and gameplay standpoint. I'm kind of torn over what I want HoI4 to be. On the one hand, micromanagement hell. On the other hand, :spergin: Italian binary divisions :spergin:.

• Locked thread