Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vader is also Ethan Suplee's dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BigT posted:

Sounds like Vadar was a legit smart and nice guy in the business and out. I would of thought just by his look that he was a boozer, drug addict and had anger issues, just goes to show how much of a seller he really is. I never really liked Vadar but after reading the thread I have a lot more respect for the guy. Makes the whole "is wrestling real" angle he did that much more impressive.

Really the only bad things I've ever heard about Vader were that he was pretty stiff and that he never washed that singlet, so he stank to high heaven. In the context of pro wrestling that's not too bad.

If you can find any video (I can't search from work) of Vader tagging with his son (Jake Carter) in Japan, watch that and watch a cool dad that's super happy for his kid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Vader is also Ethan Suplee's dad.

He also knows to fear John Adams.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Vader start a fight with one armed Paul Orndorff by hitting him with a cheap shot, only for Mr. Wonderful to beat him up and then cause Vader to be fired?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rodney the Piper posted:

Didn't Vader start a fight with one armed Paul Orndorff by hitting him with a cheap shot, only for Mr. Wonderful to beat him up and then cause Vader to be fired?

How many times has Paul Orndorff had to be the voice of reason? There was a WCW PPV where Paul Roma was supposed to put over Alex Wright, but instead, he made the match about himself. So his Pretty Wonderful tag team partner, Orndorff, has to come out, and tells him to cut it the gently caress out and put Wright over.

Didn't Duggan screw around with Wright, too? Did people hate working with the kid?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As much as I've heard, Alex Wright is a perfectly nice guy (For example, one of the only guys in WCW to give Louis Theroux a decent interview), but he was a young guy in a company full of old guys clinging to relevance. He was bound to get screwed over.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

BigT posted:

I never really liked Vadar

How is this even possible?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Haven't you seen Boy Meets World?!

I'm not really referring to Vader's guest spot on it, I just really like that show and encourage people to see it.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Vader is just entertaining, man. I saw him live in the indys after he was old and wash-up and it's still a blast to watch him wreck people's poo poo. Just look at his RAW appearance last year.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Anyone have that gif of Vader getting out of the ring, stumbling backwards and falling on his rear end?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Haven't you seen Boy Meets World?!

I'm not really referring to Vader's guest spot on it, I just really like that show and encourage people to see it.

Cory and Shawn = Hogan and Savage, think about it

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Gaines posted:

Anyone have that gif of Vader getting out of the ring, stumbling backwards and falling on his rear end?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

flashy_mcflash posted:

Cory and Shawn = Hogan and Savage, think about it

And Topanga is Miss Elisabeth. Its all falling into place.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

I hate to say it, but whenever Vader is brought up these days, this is the first thing that comes to my mind.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 25, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

It`s crazy to think that this was almost Steve Austin`s last match instead of his match with the Rock.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
That's not Steve Austin :ssh:

\/\/ I thought he mistook Coachman for Austin. My bad.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 25, 2013

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chris Gaines posted:

That's not Steve Austin :ssh:

Steve Austin was booked to face and put over Goldust/Vader/Coachman in a handicap match back in 2005. He pulled out of it after he was injured. The injury was to the stupid person gland part of the brain that would make him come out of retirement for that dreck.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

John Cena posted:

Steve Austin was booked to face and put over Goldust/Vader/Coachman in a handicap match back in 2005. He pulled out of it after he was injured. The injury was to the stupid person gland part of the brain that would make him come out of retirement for that dreck.

Between that and jobbing to Lesnar with zero build on free TV, it's kind of amazing the poo poo WWE would do with Austin at the end of his career.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigT posted:

Sounds like Vadar was a legit smart and nice guy in the business and out. I would of thought just by his look that he was a boozer, drug addict and had anger issues, just goes to show how much of a seller he really is. I never really liked Vadar but after reading the thread I have a lot more respect for the guy. Makes the whole "is wrestling real" angle he did that much more impressive.

He had some anger issues and was kind of a dick, like when he tried to beat up Paul Orndorff backstage, lost the fight and then jumped him from behind later before he was finally able to "win."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
#wcw is trending on twitter but sadly it has nothing to do with the greatest night in the history of our sport.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bigass Moth posted:

#wcw is trending on twitter but sadly it has nothing to do with the greatest night in the history of our sport.

Yeah it always throws me off when I see #WCW on twitter then some random chick after haha.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

One day the phoenix will rise from the ashes. Patience.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Yeah it always throws me off when I see #WCW on twitter then some random chick after haha.
What does it mean? 'Cause I'm with J-Ru on the iceflow when it comes to twitter.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Woman Crush Wednesday.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

HulkaMatt posted:

Woman Crush Wednesday.

Surprised no one's put up a picture of Woman for the two-in-one joke.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Earlier this year there was an article from the Believer getting a lot of linkage from people I knew about the enduring legacy of WCW vis a vis contemporary poets and novelists and I was super duper confused until I realized they were talking about William Carlos Williams.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

How many times has Paul Orndorff had to be the voice of reason? There was a WCW PPV where Paul Roma was supposed to put over Alex Wright, but instead, he made the match about himself. So his Pretty Wonderful tag team partner, Orndorff, has to come out, and tells him to cut it the gently caress out and put Wright over.

Didn't Duggan screw around with Wright, too? Did people hate working with the kid?
Roma decided he was too good to put over the rookie Wright and sandbagged him through the entire match. Roma got fired because of it.
Duggan did the same thing when Wright debuted as Berlyn. Duggan didn't get fired because he had friends backstage. He did wind up playing a janitor, though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Wright/Roma match was surreal. At one point Roma's in a chinlock, and stops to argue with someone in the crowd *while in a chinlock*.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Latest retro observer is up, listing the Hog Wild line up, and Dave commenting about how minor league the whole look is. I believe next week will be the Rey Mysterio goes through the truck episode, which I thought was an amazing episode of wrestling. Dave is also big on Hogan's heel promos which to be fair, are amazing. And he's already point out how babyface the NWO is already.

edit: the most crucial piece of information is that Vince wants to sign his talent to really long deals.

Honestly, there is NO WAY that could end up biting him in the rear end. :allears:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 26, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Latest retro observer is up, listing the Hog Wild line up, and Dave commenting about how minor league the whole look is. I believe next week will be the Rey Mysterio goes through the truck episode, which I thought was an amazing episode of wrestling. Dave is also big on Hogan's heel promos which to be fair, are amazing. And he's already point out how babyface the NWO is already.

edit: the most crucial piece of information is that Vince wants to sign his talent to really long deals.

Honestly, there is NO WAY that could end up biting him in the rear end. :allears:

I can't wait until Dave reviews the Waco STUPID LITTLE MAN promo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

He had some anger issues and was kind of a dick, like when he tried to beat up Paul Orndorff backstage, lost the fight and then jumped him from behind later before he was finally able to "win."
I don't think Vader was a bad guy, but two of his managers described him as, in Cornette's words, a high-maintenance individual. Harley Race said he managed Vader because most people couldn't get along with Vader, and management thought Race could handle him. Cornette said he was very prone to getting his feelings hurt, and once cried when Shawn Michaels threatened to get him fired for working too stiff. I think Vader was very sensitive and prone to acting like a bully when he felt insulted. It's also a fact that he was an alcoholic before recovering and becoming born-again, and I have no idea how that plays into it.

As for his infamously stiff style, he got pushed very early in his career due to his size, and the first guys he worked with were Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen, and Jerry Blackwell. So...yeah. That speaks for itself.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

The Wright/Roma match was surreal. At one point Roma's in a chinlock, and stops to argue with someone in the crowd *while in a chinlock*.
Almost as surreal as Roma being one of the Four Horsemen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Almost as surreal as Roma being one of the Four Horsemen.

This was one of a couple of armlocks that Roma no-sold, actually, along with the rest of the match. Wright apparently claimed that Roma getting fired had nothing to do with this match. The more likely thing was that Roma was just terrible.

Also it's funny that even with how terrible Roma is, it's still a fairly close contest to determine who the worst Horseman was.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This was one of a couple of armlocks that Roma no-sold, actually, along with the rest of the match. Wright apparently claimed that Roma getting fired had nothing to do with this match. The more likely thing was that Roma was just terrible.

Also it's funny that even with how terrible Roma is, it's still a fairly close contest to determine who the worst Horseman was.

Wasn't Mongo McMichael a Horseman? If so, there's no contest at all.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

VogeGandire posted:

You go to hell, Mongo was a treasure. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VogeGandire posted:

Chris Benoit was a horseman.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Chris Benoit was a horseman.

Chris Benoit was an excellent horseman. Unfortunately, he was an even better Dynamite Kid.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Mongo was the greatest Horseman

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

Mongo was the greatest Horseman

No Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Here is a controversial ranking of all The Four Horsemen members that will surely derail this thread with pages of argument and discussion, often resorting to childish name-calling and flamewars:

1. "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair
2. "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson

3. the rest (although Tully Blanchard is first of this group tbh)