Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Can't help you on Fantasmic, as I didn't catch that while I was there a few weeks ago, but I did get a chance to use the magicbands/fastpass+ deal.

I have to say that Fastpass+ is awesome, especially if you download the special app for your phone. It's super easy to just make 3 or 4 reservations, and be able to just change them around whenever. Don't feel like Space Mountain right after a meal, change it to 3 hours later. I slept late and missed my 9:00 am Peter Pan reservation, but the line's not too long anyway, so I'll just change it to Splash Mountain at noon. It's also really easy to deal with, and granted I didn't go during peak season and I wasn't marathoning rides, but it felt like I didn't need more than 3 fast passes per day, especially in AK and HS, and at MK you're allowed 4 reservations. Perhaps in the super busy seasons you won't be able to just edit it to any ride at any time on the fly. Personally, I liked not having to rush to the machines first thing in the morning like for the Toy Story ride that seems to always run out or walk all over the place collecting the little tickets. It honestly seems like a way better system than what they've been doing the last 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If you don't have a reservation for Fantasmic (either through the dining package or the Fastpass+ system) it is recommended you arrive at least an hour before show time to get a decent seat. It's a hugely popular show (and a great show to boot, although I am told Disneyland's is better)

When they set up Fastpass+ they moved the reservation section from a patch off to the side to the center of the amphitheater so now you get a seat in a good section and you don't have to wait butt loads of time for them.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Since someone just brought up both the Beach Club & Yacht Club, I want to ask:

In the OP I say that the Beach/Yacht Club are for practical purposes the same hotel...location, theming, price, amenities, etc. Ditto with the Swan and Dolphin. This is just what I've been told. Is it true? Are there meaningful differences between the S & D or the BC & YC? (Meaningful to someone who's never been to WDW before)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I have not been to S & D but I have been to Y & B / BC as my nephew stays there whenever he and his wife come in to town. He prefers BC of the two. The decor is his deciding factor, personally I do not see much of a difference and to be honest if you are not spending significant time in the room it should not be of concern. My suggestion is always amenities, amenities, amenities. Easy access to dining, nice pools etc. is my key driver. You know staying on property you will get the same caliber service and the resorts should be consistent in that they are not run down. The resorts that have one of the parks adjacent are usually the best bets any day.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one of the YC/BC not have a quick service dining location? I'm pretty sure it's YC. Also I think I remember reading that it's a lot easier to fill up your refillable cup (if you buy it/are on the dining plan) at BC because of that. I could be completely wrong. I haven't stayed at the YC/BC since I was a kid (and won't any time soon, best I can usually afford is a moderate) but I seem to remember reading there were a couple minor things like that which made one better over the other.

Otherwise ya, it's just decor. Nautical vs. Beach Home.

Swan/Dolphin never really interested me because presonally the buildings look like poo poo to me. Although I've read that you can get some pretty decent deals so I may look at them for a future trip depending on my budget.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Happitoo posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one of the YC/BC not have a quick service dining location? I'm pretty sure it's YC. Also I think I remember reading that it's a lot easier to fill up your refillable cup (if you buy it/are on the dining plan) at BC because of that. I could be completely wrong. I haven't stayed at the YC/BC since I was a kid (and won't any time soon, best I can usually afford is a moderate) but I seem to remember reading there were a couple minor things like that which made one better over the other.

Otherwise ya, it's just decor. Nautical vs. Beach Home.

Swan/Dolphin never really interested me because presonally the buildings look like poo poo to me. Although I've read that you can get some pretty decent deals so I may look at them for a future trip depending on my budget.

Yes, there are three or four quick service between the two. Also the ice cream joint there is amazing! EDIT: Peaches and Cream is the name.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 23, 2013

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

Yes, there are three or four quick service between the two. Also the ice cream joint there is amazing! EDIT: Peaches and Cream is the name.

Yeah, if you get the Kitchen Sink, be sure to come hungry.

Everyone raves about their burgers. I found them ok, but nothing super special.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, if you get the Kitchen Sink, be sure to come hungry.

Everyone raves about their burgers. I found them ok, but nothing super special.

The burgers are nothing worth writing home about. I can have a much better burger at any of the gourmet food trucks in town. ;)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Maybe it's me, but the best burger I've had on property is Pecos Bill's in Magic Kingdom. Their BBQ Burger is so good.

(Of course I am told that if I head over to Tomorrowland, their burger joint is the exact same setup just in a futuristic joint, so maybe I am just easily swayed by fast food)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Beaches N Cream is on our must do list for our trip next month. So good.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Maybe it's me, but the best burger I've had on property is Pecos Bill's in Magic Kingdom. Their BBQ Burger is so good.

(Of course I am told that if I head over to Tomorrowland, their burger joint is the exact same setup just in a futuristic joint, so maybe I am just easily swayed by fast food)

Wait, what burger joint in Tomorrowland, please don't say Cosmic Ray's.. it's a shithole. I have never had a positive experience eating anything from that location. My wife first worked at that location when she started and transferred as soon as she was able to because it smelled awful.. like mold because of a/c problems they had. Her sister who works at MK hates going there because the grease traps are in the tunnel since it does not have a backstage location to dispose of the grease so the area leading into the kitchen smells like oozing funk. I was sick from eating there years ago. In all we have that location on our ban list. But hey, give it a shot. Maybe there was a wormhole that opened up swallowing the lovely version we remember and it was replaced with a sparkly clean happy version from a parallel universe. Really though I asked her what she thought about it and she gave me the stink face. Trip report please.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I'll stick to Pecos Bill's.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Oooh, can I join the Cosmic Ray's hatefest? Because I hate that loving joint, too! It exemplifies everything that's wrong with American middle of the road cuisine. The place is huge, trashy, serves blatantly average but expensive burgers, and can bite me. Furthermore they store their trash down in a part of the tunnels I had to walk through daily to get to and from work at Space Mountain. Nothing like getting dressed then having to walk through a place that smells like decomposing meat! :waycool:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Ignore both Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bill and eat at Casey's.

I can't think of a single other QSR location at MK that even comes close to Casey's. Columbia Harbor House mayyybeee but it's too expensive for what you get.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Roar posted:

Ignore both Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bill and eat at Casey's.

I can't think of a single other QSR location at MK that even comes close to Casey's. Columbia Harbor House mayyybeee but it's too expensive for what you get.

I am pretty much making a beeline for the chilli dog when I get to Magic Kingdom on my trip

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Counterpoint: Cosmic Ray's has Sonny Eclipse, which is probably the single coolest thing in the entire Magic Kingdom. I need my alien lounge music.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
This thread is making me happysad. My grandmother lived in Orlando and had year-long family passes to all the parks, and I used to be able to go every year, sometimes two or three times. I haven't been to WDW since I was 19 and I miss it so much.

I'm currently living in Korea, and want to go to Hong Kong soonish because it's my all-time favourite city. I've done and enjoyed both Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea, and I was wondering if anyone had info about HK Disney? I heard it sucks in comparison to all other Disney parks, but I'm also one of those freaks who loves DHS, so...

Also, if you have Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea questions, I can probably answer them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My girlfriend and I are heading to Orlando next weekend for our yearly trip to Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights – her eighth trip, my fifth. Each year, we go to one of the other theme parks – we’ve done Islands of Adventure, we’ve done Sea World, we’ve done Busch Gardens…

This year, I convinced her to go to EPCOT, as I haven’t been there since I was a kid. We’re going for a day trip, and I’m drat excited. Anyone have any specific places we should definitely make an effort to hit up/places we shouldn’t place high on a priority list?

I’m most excited about the pavilions…I want to go to Beirgarten so badly…

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CobiWann posted:

My girlfriend and I are heading to Orlando next weekend for our yearly trip to Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights – her eighth trip, my fifth. Each year, we go to one of the other theme parks – we’ve done Islands of Adventure, we’ve done Sea World, we’ve done Busch Gardens…

This year, I convinced her to go to EPCOT, as I haven’t been there since I was a kid. We’re going for a day trip, and I’m drat excited. Anyone have any specific places we should definitely make an effort to hit up/places we shouldn’t place high on a priority list?

I’m most excited about the pavilions…I want to go to Beirgarten so badly…

My advice on Epcot, take your time and don't rush it. You can definitely see the entire park in one day. I enjoy the Land going through the boat ride that takes you in through the hydroponics area and you can even get a backstage tour of it if they have space, it is called Behind the Seeds and can be booked in advance. We always make it a point to see the aquariums as well.

Best of all, the International Food & Wine Festival starts on the 27th so SCORE!

Downside, it is going to be loving packed.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
I am attending a conference in October at WDW, and have never been before. I'll be staying at the Grand Floridian. Most of the conference events seem to be at the Dolphin, Swan and Boardwalk Hotels, which appear to be a distance away from the Grand Floridian. I would have booked one of those hotels, but they were sold out.

What is the easiest way for me to get from the Grand Floridian to the Dolphin/Swan/Boardwalk (they all appear close together)? I am fine with some walking as long as it isn't too many miles.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Saltin posted:

I am attending a conference in October at WDW, and have never been before. I'll be staying at the Grand Floridian. Most of the conference events seem to be at the Dolphin, Swan and Boardwalk Hotels, which appear to be a distance away from the Grand Floridian. I would have booked one of those hotels, but they were sold out.

What is the easiest way for me to get from the Grand Floridian to the Dolphin/Swan/Boardwalk (they all appear close together)? I am fine with some walking as long as it isn't too many miles.

Monorail to Epcot and walk through Epcot.

Or, monorail to the ticketing and transportation center and get on the resort bound bus.

Or monorail to either MK or Epcot and take the resort bound bus.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Happitoo posted:

We walked through them on our last trip to see what they were like (always had wanted to stay in them since the opened) since they were walking distance from Yacht Club. The lobbies are beautiful and the restaurants and rooms (from what I've seen online) look great, however the big negative is that these are not 'Disney' hotels in that you do not get Disney privileges like charge to the room/packages delivered to room, and whatever other perks are offered. I would absolutely consider it still as an adult without children, but not so great with kids.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

Monorail to Epcot and walk through Epcot.

Or, monorail to the ticketing and transportation center and get on the resort bound bus.

Or monorail to either MK or Epcot and take the resort bound bus.

or bus from resort to resort... they may run extra buses if there is some agreement due to how busy the conference is.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

demonR6 posted:

or bus from resort to resort... they may run extra buses if there is some agreement due to how busy the conference is.

I think Disney will get a taxi for you too. They have for me in the past when we had breakfast reservations before the busses began running and it was no charge.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Any word on how the new Disabled Access System will work at WDW? Will there be kiosks scattered around or will folks need to go to the rides themselves to get the tickets, like FastPass?

We're heading down in mid November with our son who is on the autism spectrum so I'm a little concerned about how the new system will work.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

head58 posted:

Any word on how the new Disabled Access System will work at WDW? Will there be kiosks scattered around or will folks need to go to the rides themselves to get the tickets, like FastPass?

We're heading down in mid November with our son who is on the autism spectrum so I'm a little concerned about how the new system will work.

From what I understand there are centrally located kiosks. You will have to get special FastPasses for a ride from the kiosk and you will not be able to get another one until the first one's time has passed. There will also be a special id card with a photo of the person for whom the card was issued on it. That person has to be the one to collect the FastPass, or at least has to be present at the kiosk.

They are really cracking down on this.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Braksgirl posted:

Thank Christ. Guest Assistance Cards were the worst thing. Hopefully the people who use these passes legitimately will have good luck with the new system and the abusers can eat poo poo.

also

quote:

Annual passholder Sheryl Gangano of San Jose, California, says the policy change may cause her to drop her annual pass and reduce her seven to 10 annual trips to Disneyland. Gangano, who has complex regional pain syndrome, can walk but experiences "excruciating pain" from the lightest of touches or when she stands or sits in one position for too long.

"It makes it a challenge to be able to go and enjoy the park," she said. "I will need to figure out how to structure my visits differently and become more aware of my pain. This is unfortunate, as one of the things Disneyland has given me is that escape."

Oh no I can't skip all of the lines immediately anymore, guess I just won't go!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

Thank Christ. Guest Assistance Cards were the worst thing. Hopefully the people who use these passes legitimately will have good luck with the new system and the abusers can eat poo poo.

also

Yeah, that burns me.. you can muster up enough strength and put up with the pain to jump into the car and drive out to the theme park then spend the day there but gently caress those assholes for making me wait in any line. Does she drive an ambulance where she can blow through traffic control devices and bypass traffic? I did not see that part of the story.

This is what happens when people abuse the system.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Roar posted:

This is the type of comment I've seen a lot (the woman's) and it makes no sense in the concept of the new system. There's other ones where it's like "my kid is autistic and can't wait in lines". Well then, good? The new system prevents you from having to stand in line. Youre free to go off and do other things until your return time. OHHHH... You mean you want to be able to skip the line. Ya, get hosed.

I have all the empathy for those with disabilities. It must suck having that crazy pain thing, or a non-verbal child who freaks out at random intervals. But it doesn't mean you get special privilege. The old GAC did sometimes work that way, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to it. It just means previously you got a perk that no longer exists.

I think the most interesting bit is the new wheelchair policy. Where solely being in a wheelchair doesn't grant you a pass. If the line/ride are wheelchair accessible, you stand (well sit) in line like everyone else. California Adventure is entirely accessible due to being built post ADA so it'll be interesting to see comment when the new system goes live.

I like the new system. It does what it's supposed to (provide access to those who are disabled on-par with the abled, just in a different fashion) while minimizing potential for abuse.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

My aunt uses the GAC for my cousin who has severe autism, and I am not sure this is going to go over well with people like her. Some kids with autism can't take being told to wait, and my cousin is one of them. I truly get what Disney is going to do, but this change is really strong and is going to cause headaches for both parents and Disney itself. I don't expect this to roll out out like it's being talked about, or if it does, I don't expect it to stay this way.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
In my experience, the kids (and, for the most parts, special needs children) literally don't care less about the ride waits. 90% of the time it's the parents howling about their schedule and their precious angels not being able to handle it while they're all like "can I just go on the ride whenever please :shobon:"

I'm not saying that there aren't special needs kids that don't have huge issues with waits but this new system shouldn't affect that, you just don't tell the kids that you're going on the ride right then, get the assistance then go ride some short/no wait rides or the river boat or something.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Happitoo posted:

I think the most interesting bit is the new wheelchair policy. Where solely being in a wheelchair doesn't grant you a pass. If the line/ride are wheelchair accessible, you stand (well sit) in line like everyone else. California Adventure is entirely accessible due to being built post ADA so it'll be interesting to see comment when the new system goes live.

If left in my capable hands, here is my wheelchair policy. "Hello grandma, please come with me and I will take you through this way so you do not have to wait in that line. Whoa, the six of you window licking wheelchair leeches can go stand in line like everyone else in the park."

Have a wheelchair in your party or someone with a disability? Go get your special fastpass, come back at the designated time and wait in the much shorter queue line that is exponentially less grueling than what everyone else who paid $100 to enjoy the park shelled out, otherwise get bent.

Every single trip to the park at every ride we go on there is always someone with a wheelchair be it motorized or conventional that drives up to the line like they own the place with a party of X in tow. Way too many people abuse this and to be honest I am over it. My favorite though is when we spend an hour getting a good spot for a parade or show only to get nearly run down and over by someone in a motorized wheelchair with a lovely attitude like they are entitled.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Roar posted:

In my experience, the kids (and, for the most parts, special needs children) literally don't care less about the ride waits. 90% of the time it's the parents howling about their schedule and their precious angels not being able to handle it while they're all like "can I just go on the ride whenever please :shobon:"

I'm not saying that there aren't special needs kids that don't have huge issues with waits but this new system shouldn't affect that, you just don't tell the kids that you're going on the ride right then, get the assistance then go ride some short/no wait rides or the river boat or something.

Hi, I used to be a kid and I went to Disney World and the waits were the loving worst. It was absolutely miserable waiting 2+ hours for the then-new Tower of Terror and Space Mountain.

Seriously, what kids do you know who don't really mind standing in a line for hours doing absolutely loving nothing?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

DNova posted:

Hi, I used to be a kid and I went to Disney World and the waits were the loving worst. It was absolutely miserable waiting 2+ hours for the then-new Tower of Terror and Space Mountain.

Seriously, what kids do you know who don't really mind standing in a line for hours doing absolutely loving nothing?

Yeah, as a kid an hour of adult time is like.... a couple days of kid time. I remember the waits being occasionally excruciating. In an age before cell phones to gently caress around with, even a half hour wait for the movie at a theater to get started was pretty bad. But never fear, kids these days are pre-trained to deplete cell phone batteries when faced with an absence of something else fun to do. It's seriously like having a battery backup for the kid's attention span, and it's genius.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

DNova posted:

My sister and I were fine with lines, but we were from a military family that moved 2000+ miles in a car cross country all the time so had learned to be patient. I remember going to Disneyland with our cousins one year and they whined in any line over 5 minutes to the point they annoyed me at age 12, so I'm sure my family isn't the norm.

And I feel for the small amount of people truly affected by the changes to handle disabled people, but that has been out of hand forever. Now they just need to fix the single, supposedly non english speaking person who stands in line at Disneyland and suddenly 30 family members come join them when they are almost on. Been 15 years since I've been to CA so maybe they have.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

DNova posted:

Fair point. What I mean is that kids aren't going to shriek about it to the manager of the poor kid at the front gate and they also usually aren't going to decide not to ride it - they're going to suck it up and ride it, complaints and all.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here is the thing, in today's modern society waiting for anything more than ten minutes results in someone having a meltdown because they do not feel they should have to wait for so long. Really, I hear people get bent out of shape when they order french fries and they are told they have to wait five minutes for a fresh batch to finish. No, don't like it? Here are your cold, semi-frozen fries.. want some ketchup with that?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Roar posted:

Fair point. What I mean is that kids aren't going to shriek about it to the manager of the poor kid at the front gate and they also usually aren't going to decide not to ride it - they're going to suck it up and ride it, complaints and all.

You're drat right. Well, for young me, anyways. It really sucked waiting in line. It was awful. But it was just a thing you had to deal with it and that was that.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Braksgirl posted:

From what I understand there are centrally located kiosks. You will have to get special FastPasses for a ride from the kiosk and you will not be able to get another one until the first one's time has passed. There will also be a special id card with a photo of the person for whom the card was issued on it. That person has to be the one to collect the FastPass, or at least has to be present at the kiosk.

Do you know how they'll handle using strollers as wheelchairs? In Disney World, they gave us a sticker for our son's stroller, but in Disneyland the gave us a guest assistance card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

My aunt uses the GAC for my cousin who has severe autism, and I am not sure this is going to go over well with people like her. Some kids with autism can't take being told to wait, and my cousin is one of them. I truly get what Disney is going to do, but this change is really strong and is going to cause headaches for both parents and Disney itself. I don't expect this to roll out out like it's being talked about, or if it does, I don't expect it to stay this way.

Combined with the other stuff Disney is putting out (FP+ and the MDE app) I think it'll go ok when put together. I think the key benefit is that to get your return time you don't have to go to the ride, just to a kiosk. I could see how taking an autistic child as you describe to a ride and not riding it right away could cause a meltdown. Hopefully the concept of "out of sight, out of mind" would work.

Combine that with being able to check wait times via a smart phone and those parents who have kids who can't wait can go to the rides/activities with low/no wait times while waiting on their return time. And if they know their child absolutely has to ride "Ride X" you'll have FP+ for that. During really high volume times it may still suck, but hopefully folks using all the tools available to them will help.

Ideally they'd eventually link the FP+/MDE system and the DAS system together in order to eliminate the need for even the kiosks. You'd just get your account flagged as needing DAS and then be able to get your wait time straight out of the MDE app. Then when it's your time, you just walk up similar to what you'd do with FP+ and go on the ride. This may be asking too much though.

It also eliminates the big glaring "these people are disabled" that carrying around a card with your picture/having to go to the kiosks causes. Some people that are disabled don't like being singled out.

lamb posted:

Do you know how they'll handle using strollers as wheelchairs? In Disney World, they gave us a sticker for our son's stroller, but in Disneyland the gave us a guest assistance card.

Nobody really knows, but odds are the same way. Disneyland might just take on the stickers like DW does.