Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

FCR install on the DRZ went pretty good, should have checked the AP timing before buttoning it up though. Looks like that's gonna need a bit of adjustment as well as the fuel screw. There's a tiny stumble from the AP and the acceleration, while way better than the Mikuni ever was, isn't as brutal as I'd like.

Thats the AP, which I need to adjust on mine as well, but havent gotten around to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm gonna see if I can use my phone to look down the intake tube and watch the AP squirt so I don't have to unbolt the subframe again haha. The stumble seems to be the worst when the engine is nice and hot, if there are any carb wizards reading this.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 10, 2013

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Yerok posted:

I'm gonna see if I can use my phone to look down the intake tube and watch the AP squirt so I don't have to unbolt the subframe again haha. The stumble seems to be the worst when the engine is nice and hot, if there are any carb wizards reading this.

I know you mentioned it, but have you set the fuel screw properly? Sorry, I'm not familiar with adjusting the AP squirt, I'm too busy with my fuel injection :smugdog: and trying to figure out goddamn fuel maps

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The fuel screw is at 2 turns out as per ThumperTalk jetting recommendations, so it's very close but not perfect. The stumble is unmistakably the result of a poorly timed accelerator pump because it lasts a split second then clears up right away. I'm sure I could be wrong, the only real place to start is with fixing the AP timing and going from there. I'm gonna order an R&D flex fuel screw tonight to make for easier adjustments.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's all about engine design. There is nothing inherent in an engine configuration (v-twin, I4, boxer 6, thumper) that makes it "torquier" or "rev happier". A 600 thumper will, quite naturally, have a larger bore and stroke than a 600 i4. This means a heavier piston assy, a higher mean piston speed, and so on. Flywheels and crankshafts also have to be relatively heavier than on a better balanced engine. All this lends itself to a lower rpm register, which in itself means it's more economical to build a thumper with more torque down low then a high strung horsepower monster, but with enough time and money, you could theoretically make a 600 thumper that revs like an i4 600.

When I say "rev the tits off", I mean "keep it above 3000-3500rpm". It only revs to 7000rpm, so it's all relative.

It'll pull fine from idle like any good thumper should, but it's so much smoother higher in the rev range. I guess it was just my mindset of thumper = tractor that stopped me from revving it more and made me run in too high a gear for the speed I was going.

I'm much more comfortable just revving it out now and shifting when I feel the power start to drop off.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Holy poo poo the stock DRZ fender is terrible in the rain.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Wait til you try the sumo fender. Hope you enjoy the entire front of your jacket / jeans being soaked through.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I was gonna get an Acerbis one but now I don't know. If the stock SM fender is this bad then I can only assume the aftermarket ones are like water funnels

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's fun riding with it in the wet when it's dark. You can see the steady stream of water coming off the tip of the fender, into the light beam as it hits the wind, coming back straight on to your chest.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

No way, it's totally worth it not to have the front end get squirrely at like 50mph. Get the sumo fender.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

JP Money posted:

No way, it's totally worth it not to have the front end get squirrely at like 50mph. Get the sumo fender.

You are 100% right. Also Nidhg, that's exactly what happened to me last night. I need those gloves with the windshield wiper finger.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Unless it's barely sprinkling I just make sure I have a complete change of clothes in my backpack to take to work. Sitting upright with all that water flinging up onto you just means it's going to run down the front of your jacket onto your pants. It sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The sm fender, despite its downfalls in the rain is the best for highway riding.

Either way, sitting upright and being as exposed as you are, you're getting wet in the rain on the drz, regardless of fender choice

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 15, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I was leaving my buddy's house last night after it started raining and explained to him that sitting upright in the rain gets you soaked no matter what.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JP Money posted:

Unless it's barely sprinkling I just make sure I have a complete change of clothes in my backpack to take to work. Sitting upright with all that water flinging up onto you just means it's going to run down the front of your jacket onto your pants. It sucks.
The worst thing is if you're riding in a water resistant jacket, but pants that aren't. All the water hits your chest, runs down the front of your body and soaks your crotch.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I like arriving at my friends house, looking like I pissed myself.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yerok posted:

You are 100% right. Also Nidhg, that's exactly what happened to me last night. I need those gloves with the windshield wiper finger.

I have a pair of Icon gloves with the visor wiper and the Acerbis fender but I haven't had occasion to ride with both at the same time, since I just got the fender and the gloves are my cold-weather gloves. The first time I rode in the rain with the Acerbis fender it wouldn't have mattered what fender was on there, because the rain was absolutely hammering down, along with purple lightning. THe only dry spot on my entire body was the part where my riding jacket covered the top of the back of my pants. Literally every other part of me from head to toe was soaked.

All said, the Acerbis fender is a great improvement for highway speeds compared to the stock piece. There is noticeably less wind drag on it.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Toot Toot.

After a few months of DRZ inaction, I'll finally be getting around to fitting the new engine.

Engine purchased, sitting in my best mate's garage. I have new oil & filter (and horn, the other one just scraped through the MOT). I have a willing friend and a weekend off.

Apart from doing suspension springs on a few cars, this'll be the largest mechanical job I've ever done.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Just another great day riding in the rain on the crotch water funnel. Super glad I just bought a new helmet that has a visor and good anti-fog yesterday.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Yerok posted:

Just another great day riding in the rain on the crotch water funnel. Super glad I just bought a new helmet that has a visor and good anti-fog yesterday.

Two weeks ago I got fed up by all the halos and removed my anti fog insert. It was heaven for two weeks and then autumn came.

I also wear glasses.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Um, am I correct in thinking I'll need to remove the rear swing arm pivot to get this engine out? drat DRZ. Halfway through stripping this bike.

*edit* turns out we do need to remove that bolt, and it was jammed in good and tight. Lots of corrosion. Searching the Internet turned up a lot of people talking about making a puller. Having attacked it with copious amounts of penetrant, it looked to to the hardware store we were going. One last bash on the threaded rod/nut combo I put in to protect the threads . . . and it started moving! Yay!

End of day 1. Old engine out. Clutch cover on new engine replaced with good clutch cover from old (drat shipping damage). New engine cleaned; looked like it had been off-roaded with.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 21, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So if the combination of the FCR 39 and a Yosh exhaust doesn't pop at all when downshifting hard it's probably too rich, right?

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

KARMA! posted:

Two weeks ago I got fed up by all the halos and removed my anti fog insert. It was heaven for two weeks and then autumn came.

I also wear glasses.

I gave up on anti fog inserts when I got glasses, doesn't really matter what actually fogs up if I still can't see poo poo. Parts guy gave me a recommendation for some kind of anti fog gel, but they didn't sell it so I haven't tried it. Name was something like Blaze, it wasn't one of the usual like rain x or plexus. Edit: Looks like it was Blaze, just found the website. Haven't tried it but they claim safe for lexan and polycarbonate, going to order a bottle. Hoping it works as advertised because I have the same issues with my SCBA mask and safety glasses on cold days.

There's a ton of jetting information for the FCR on Thumpertalk, do you know how it is jetted currently?

drzrma fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 21, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

So if the combination of the FCR 39 and a Yosh exhaust doesn't pop at all when downshifting hard it's probably too rich, right?

Probably, but how is it running?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Boom! New engine in. Only forgot to do up one jubilee clip (that was quickly noticed when pink coolant started dripping over the floor). Even remembered where everything went.

Slight issues starting the first time, but a new spark plug (although the old one was sparking) and some Easy Start (ether spray) made her start. Idled fairly easily, not so happy in gear on the stands.

Oh well, it was a good weekend. Now back to work until I can find a spare weekend to finish.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Right now it's running 45 pilot, no pilot air jet, clip 3 EMN needle, 160 main. The AP cam has the o-ring mod, but I'm considering getting a bowl with leak jet adjustment. I'm in Madison, WI so I'm basically at sea level. 3x3 and full Yosh RS2 as far as intake and exhaust mods. It's running pretty good, seems a bit down on power though. It doesn't seem like it wants to lift the front end when you get on the throttle like it should in first and second. I think it's probably the AP, but I'm not really sure.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 23, 2013

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I put off doing the oil on my DRZfor the longest because :effort: but turns out its so braindead easy that it's laughable.

I noticed when I did the oil filter that the PO seemed to have lost the little rubber seal that goes on the side opposite the spring cap. I didnt have anything to use in the interim so I put it back as-is and unless you guys tell me thats a BAD loving IDEA I plan to just continue as-is until I do the next change. Big mistake?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its just a standard o-ring, nothing special. As long as it was in good shape, it should be fine. You should technically be replacing that, the gian o-ring that goes around the flter cover and the two crush washers every time, but no one does.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its just a standard o-ring, nothing special. As long as it was in good shape, it should be fine. You should technically be replacing that, the gian o-ring that goes around the flter cover and the two crush washers every time, but no one does.

I think he's saying it's missing, not old. Tell me more about those crush washers though. I didn't replace them despite the dire warnings in my guide about them freezing seizing and then I'd have to replace the whole engine. Overblown?

Did my first change on the DRZ this summer and noticed the same ring was gone. I just threw it back together without it. About 500 miles later everything seems fine, but at least we're going down together, right?

edit: VV yeah, that

ought ten fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 23, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I don't know about them freezing (do you mean seizing?) but re-using a crush washer may result in it not sealing properly and it possibly backing out and dumping the contents of your sump over the road/tyre/precious-mother-earth. The copper is soft when it's new, but when you squish it down with the drain plug it work-hardens, so if you re-use it then it wont have much squishy-ness left.

However, you can anneal (re-soften) a copper washer with a blow torch or even a household gas hob. Hang it on a length of wire and heat it up until it glows cherry-red, then dunk it in a suitable body of cold water.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten posted:

I think he's saying it's missing, not old. Tell me more about those crush washers though. I didn't replace them despite the dire warnings in my guide about them freezing and then I'd have to replace the whole engine. Overblown?

Did my first change on the DRZ this summer and noticed the same ring was gone. I just threw it back together without it. About 500 miles later everything seems fine, but at least we're going down together, right?

Oh, yeah, didnt get that. If its missing, replace it, as a decent amount of oil will just bypass the filter altogether.

Some will still go through, but there is nothing there to direct oil through the filter without that o-ring.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, yeah, didnt get that. If its missing, replace it, as a decent amount of oil will just bypass the filter altogether.

Some will still go through, but there is nothing there to direct oil through the filter without that o-ring.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear at all.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I expected as much. I guess I am due for another oil change as soon as I get the part. :shepface:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'd just lean the bike over against a table or something and just throw the o-ring on real quick. Go find one that will fit over the stem in the cover. Use the little weep screw to drain oil left in the cover and then go to town replacing it. No need to drop all your oil imo. Letting it sit for a while should drain most of it back down into the case anyhow I'd think.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
What's the general consensus on the 640 supermoto? I've always lusted after the 690 but the chances of stumbling across one used are essentially nil here (east coast canada).
I saw an '07 SXV a few months ago but was promptly scared away by the maintenance intervals..

Coming from a DRZ would this be much of an upgrade? How are they reliability wise? I have a car and a second bike so a shorter and more involved maintenance schedule wouldn`t be a deal breaker, but I certainly don`t want to stray into "measured in hours" territory..

The bike in question

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Niven posted:

What's the general consensus on the 640 supermoto? I've always lusted after the 690 but the chances of stumbling across one used are essentially nil here (east coast canada).
I saw an '07 SXV a few months ago but was promptly scared away by the maintenance intervals..

Coming from a DRZ would this be much of an upgrade? How are they reliability wise? I have a car and a second bike so a shorter and more involved maintenance schedule wouldn`t be a deal breaker, but I certainly don`t want to stray into "measured in hours" territory..

The bike in question

Service interval for the LC4 is generally every 5000km or yearly, not too bad.

Only the kickstart-only "Competition" versions have service intervals measured in hours.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Holy crap I didn't see this thread. Cross posting from the Questions thread.

I'm buying a drz400sm :haw: and I'm preeeeeetty excited :toot:

It needs new tires. I know nothing about tires. I'm not riding any dirt at all, so is there a default sticky street tire I can go for? Tubes, or tubeless?

:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

epalm posted:

Holy crap I didn't see this thread. Cross posting from the Questions thread.

I'm buying a drz400sm :haw: and I'm preeeeeetty excited :toot:

It needs new tires. I know nothing about tires. I'm not riding any dirt at all, so is there a default sticky street tire I can go for? Tubes, or tubeless?

:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Throw a going away party for your license, let him know he'll be missed.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Your rims type will determine whether you can run tubeless. Most drz rims seem to be spoked which usually means you'll be running tubes, but you can reuse the existing tube without issue. Pilot Power 3 are the recommended 17/17 tyres if you're going to be sticking to streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You'd be surprised how little attention sumo's get from police unless you're literally caught doing a wheelie or something. I never get a second glance from police. When I had my R6 I'd get pulled over about once a month for something stupid when I wasn't even speeding.

Maybe it's just my area but I think cops see the dirtbike and just assume you're not going to be speeding or anything despite the fact that you're riding wheelies and speeding on ever back road you can find.

E: Like I recommended in the other thread I'd just get regular pilot powers. I'd be absolutely shocked if you could outride those on the street. I don't think you need an even stickier tire so you could save a bit of money there. I don't know about the durability of the PP3's though. If they last longer it's probably worth spending a few dollars more.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 25, 2013

• Locked thread