Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is up with the dead batteries? Are these cars being test driven that infrequently? Use that poo poo as leverage. Obviously they aren't selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

S.W.G. posted:

Following up on my 335i shopping experience:

335i #1: Dead battery, would not jump, would not start. Dealer could not have cared less.
335i #2: Drove fine, but was still under warranty (2010, 30k miles) and out of my desired price range.
335i #3: Exciting candidate! 22900 asking price, 2008 with 39k miles. Dead battery, car would not start. Dealer hit it with a lot jumper and it fired up. Seemed really nice, pulled well, had every feature that I wanted except nav. Drove it for all of two miles before the car told me to go gently caress myself, and went into limp mode and overheated. I had to coast into a parking lot in the middle of a construction zone.

I think I am utterly afraid of this car, why does it have to be so nice :(

I'm focusing my attention on perhaps doing a 2004-2006 e46 M3, but I'm worried that i'll regret it later. I've always been more interested in straight line acceleration. "Get a domestic"...but I just can't STAND the interiors and fit/finish quality. I'm just worried that I'll find myself yearning for a bit more oomf, being a mile high up and going from a turbo to an N/A car.

What about a 335D? Auto only, unfortunately.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jealous Cow posted:

What the gently caress is up with the dead batteries? Are these cars being test driven that infrequently? Use that poo poo as leverage. Obviously they aren't selling.

I agree with this. If you find one you like just say "Clearly no one else is interested in this car, and clearly you aren't interested in maintaining it if the battery is dead." What kind of dealerships are these? Are these manufacturer dealerships or independent "LOW PRICES BEST DEALS IN TOWN" dealerships? I only buy from a manufacturer affiliated dealership because there are at least some kind of standards they have to follow. Otherwise, you might as well get your own financing and do private seller.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

S.W.G. posted:

Following up on my 335i shopping experience:

335i #1: Dead battery, would not jump, would not start. Dealer could not have cared less.
335i #2: Drove fine, but was still under warranty (2010, 30k miles) and out of my desired price range.
335i #3: Exciting candidate! 22900 asking price, 2008 with 39k miles. Dead battery, car would not start. Dealer hit it with a lot jumper and it fired up. Seemed really nice, pulled well, had every feature that I wanted except nav. Drove it for all of two miles before the car told me to go gently caress myself, and went into limp mode and overheated. I had to coast into a parking lot in the middle of a construction zone

loving run from car 1 and 3. The problem you are facing with all this is the fact that your price range is pretty low. Are you dead stuck on a 335i? Or an M3? Your looking at some pretty maintenance hefty cars.

If your just wanting strait line speed, you should really really really look at an E39 540i. Plenty quick, fairly cheap, and are a little easier on maintenance.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

What about a 335D? Auto only, unfortunately.

The D is seriously quick for what it is, too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You have one, right? Still like it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is my dad's DD when he is in the US, otherwise I drive it. Yeah... crank pulley separated just out of warranty - BMW good willed it for free ($1500 fix). Got the extended warranty. AC compressor died a week later. Rear end is making howling noises under power. Maybe a 'lemon', either way it's getting traded early next year for a Cayenne diesel because he's pissed at it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 24, 2013

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
In a similar vein, I'm headed out probably next Tuesday to look at a 2009 335i with 40k miles at a BMW dealership, listed for 28k. Crossing my fingers that everything that needs to be replaced/maintenanced has been already.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

loving run from car 1 and 3. The problem you are facing with all this is the fact that your price range is pretty low. Are you dead stuck on a 335i? Or an M3? Your looking at some pretty maintenance hefty cars.

If your just wanting strait line speed, you should really really really look at an E39 540i. Plenty quick, fairly cheap, and are a little easier on maintenance.

Here's the kicker

1 and 2 were Carmax
3 Was a local supermassive Toyota dealership that received it on trade in. These are by no means, mom and pop lots.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Whenever I see "premium" brands at a generic car brand lot I always assume that the PO couldn't afford the car and ditched it for something sensible from their perspective. Therefore it's reasonable to assume deferred maintenance, especially on expensive items like tires, possibly driven hard (read: badly,) even been run on 87 because their toothless hillbilly relative from Alabama told them "furrin car gas is a scam"

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I hate to do this but can someone tell me what the go-to parts are for cooling system/CCV maintenance for an E46? My 2002 330i/5spd has 69k miles and nothing has been replaced yet. I don't think I'll replace the radiator, but I'd like to replace everything else. I've already done the pulleys since I'm a ricer and got a good deal on some UUCs. I've purchased all the idlers but that's about it.

SeñorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

This is the go to thread for the E46 cooling system

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Whenever I see "premium" brands at a generic car brand lot I always assume that the PO couldn't afford the car and ditched it for something sensible from their perspective. Therefore it's reasonable to assume deferred maintenance, especially on expensive items like tires, possibly driven hard (read: badly,) even been run on 87 because their toothless hillbilly relative from Alabama told them "furrin car gas is a scam"

This is what I assume, too, and has been confirmed by the couple of times I have looked at used BMWs at generic used car lots or volume dealerships (Toyota, Honda, etc).

However, the couple of times I've looked at used BMWs at specialty lots/shops where they tend to sell on consignment I've seen some immaculate cars. They'll cost you a bit more, of course, but it can be worth it.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Das Volk posted:

This is probably true on the whole, but do not discount a car because of this alone. I bought my SLK from a Mazda dealership, and it came with every single service record with all of them performed at a Mercedes dealership, including every item the car came with (window sticker, all books etc). The car was obviously extremely well taken care of as there wasn't a single scratch or dent on the entire thing. Like buying from anywhere, service records are king and if they all check out, it doesn't matter where the car comes from.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

SeñorMisterioso posted:

Wow, how come I've never seen this link posted in the thread before? The guy also has an essential maintenance guide, suspension refresh guide, and a couple other things, all with part numbers. Seems like a good reference to suggest to all the people who come in and ask what they need to look at when buying/after buying a car.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm thinking of getting the base cooling system refresh kit from ECS for my 328Ci, is there anything critical that it's missing from this one?:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-328Ci-M52_2.8L/Engine/Cooling/ES2063862/

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 25, 2013

SeñorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Wow, how come I've never seen this link posted in the thread before? The guy also has an essential maintenance guide, suspension refresh guide, and a couple other things, all with part numbers. Seems like a good reference to suggest to all the people who come in and ask what they need to look at when buying/after buying a car.

E46 Fanatics has lots of in depth information for the 3 Series. I usually just run a search on their forums if I need to find info quick. Also, Mango is OCD about the E46 and has tons of info, just be prepared to spend a decent amount of money if you follow his guides to the T.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Agreed, but I shopped campobello cars, which I would call a bmw pre owned lot (seen them mentioned in grassroots motorsports), and my experience was similar to the guy at carmax. Both cars I looked at were dead, salesperson didn't seem to care about much of anything.

They did get one of the 540i cranked up eventually, but I didn't even bother with a test drive.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

SeñorMisterioso posted:

Is there such a thing for E36s?

moondabor
Oct 23, 2003

Nyoro~n MUSASHI

The Third Man posted:

I'm thinking of getting the base cooling system refresh kit from ECS for my 328Ci, is there anything critical that it's missing from this one?:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-328Ci-M52_2.8L/Engine/Cooling/ES2063862/

I got mine at oembimmerparts.com. Shipping was fast and free and the price is p good.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I rolled up to work yesterday and I found an empty spot in front of this.

Horrible phone: it's an M5 and an M3.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
My dream car is a bone stock E39 M5 with Sports Package. I love M5 pics in the wild.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

For the first time in over 10 years, my old bimmer has fog lamps!

So, the place I mentioned earlier, that I was willing to pay so much for a pair of NOS lights? Yeah, got an email the next day saying they were out of stock, and were unable to get any even from Germany, said they had tried. On a mission since then, from 3 different sellers, I have managed to cobble together a set of lights.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have done some research and I can't seem to get a strait answer.

When converting an E38 (740i) from auto to manual, E39 pedals will work.... right? I cant seem to get a strait answer no matter how much I search.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Do a part # search on realoem with europe selected. The 740i came with a manual in europe so the e39 parts should show as cross-compatible.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well poo poo, while driving home today the DSC and BRAKE lights on the dash of my '04 330Ci illuminated in yellow. I've tried turning the car off and on a couple of times, manually turning on/off the DSC, and drove a couple of miles hoping that maybe just some rough pavement or something freaked out a sensor. But they seem to be on for good.

I tested the battery voltage and it's 12.5V off, 14.1V running so I don't think that's the cause. Some Googling seems to indicate that it could be a number of things, but that the steering angle sensor is the most likely culprit.

I'll have to find a way to get the ABS/DSC codes pulled to find out what it's freaking out about, but I can't just do that at Autozone so I'll probably have to take it to a Euro shop... at which point it might just be worth letting them fix it. :(

I hope this doesn't turn into a wild goosesensor chase, and that it's nothing super serious like a bad DSC or ABS module ($$$$). Crappy way to end the week. :(

Edit: The only other thing I can think of is I did get new tires installed and had an alignment done a couple weeks ago, but was out of town most of that time until this week. Driven no more than 100-150 miles since it was done. Is it possible they might have messed something up while doing the alignment?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 27, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It certainly would seem to be more than a coincidence. Get underneath and check all the wheel speed sensors; its entirely possible one is unplugged (or damaged).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'll call up the frame and wheel shop I used for the alignment tomorrow. They seem like real good guys and have a great reputation locally, hopefully they'll help me out and at least attempt to diagnose for free/cheap.

Doing some more searching, it looks like there have been a number of people out there with the same yellow DSC/BRAKE warning lights related to alignment issues. It does seem a little too coincidental, but then again cars can be like that...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

ThirstyBuck posted:

I rolled up to work yesterday and I found an empty spot in front of this.

Horrible phone: it's an M5 and an M3.
E36 M3/4 best M3.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Kenny Rogers posted:

E36 M3/4 best M3.

Truth. Still wish I had been able to find a sedan, but coupes are rare enough in the first place around here. On the plus side when I pull out my Vader's for recaro speeds I'll be able to make a ton of money back.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, right now my dream stable would be a debadged E39 M5 and a 750iL Protection on airbags, but E36 is my fave M3 by far. Maybe i'll strike startup gold in Denver, who knows?

Actual BMW status: I forgot about copper crush washers for the power steering lines and now get to stop by the indie dealer for MORE parts. Woo. On the upside I did find out that a local yard has a '97 540i auto in their yard, dead due to....a blown diff. All body panels are good and they still have the motor. I'm thinkin of pickin' some more spare parts.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, right now my dream stable would be a debadged E39 M5 and a 750iL Protection on airbags, but E36 is my fave M3 by far. Maybe i'll strike startup gold in Denver, who knows?

Actual BMW status: I forgot about copper crush washers for the power steering lines and now get to stop by the indie dealer for MORE parts. Woo. On the upside I did find out that a local yard has a '97 540i auto in their yard, dead due to....a blown diff. All body panels are good and they still have the motor. I'm thinkin of pickin' some more spare parts.
HEY! Guess who happens to HAVE an E36 M3, and who kind of WANTS an E39 540i...and is in Denver! grins

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

So apparently I pulled too hard on the glove box handle on my '91 318i trying to open it, and snapped something. Now the handle just kinda hangs there and does not seem to be attached to the mechanism anymore. At least I don't *think* I had anything important in there. Any idea how to get the glove box opened? At this point I don't really care that much, as I was trying to open it to put my new registration in there and I barely drive the car anymore, but it is something I should prolly figure out.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kenny Rogers posted:

HEY! Guess who happens to HAVE an E36 M3, and who kind of WANTS an E39 540i...and is in Denver! grins

I know, I know, you're at the top of the list, we'll talk when I get out there. :)

---

I got the crush washers to put the power steering pump on tomorrow. Still hoping that CEL clears up. Worries me. I'm wondering if maybe it happened because the alternator stopped spinning when the belt jumped.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Negromancer posted:

So apparently I pulled too hard on the glove box handle on my '91 318i trying to open it, and snapped something. Now the handle just kinda hangs there and does not seem to be attached to the mechanism anymore. At least I don't *think* I had anything important in there. Any idea how to get the glove box opened? At this point I don't really care that much, as I was trying to open it to put my new registration in there and I barely drive the car anymore, but it is something I should prolly figure out.

Those break almost as often as the odometer drive gears. Should be 3 or 4 screws in the back/bottom where it attaches to the base of the dash. Take those out and you'll be able to get inside, think I was able to dissemble my latch enough to disengage it from the back.

The one on my old E30 failed when I went to get my registration and insurance papers after being pulled over. He sat there and waited for me to disassemble it enough to dig them out. All because I didn't have a front plate.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those break almost as often as the odometer drive gears. Should be 3 or 4 screws in the back/bottom where it attaches to the base of the dash. Take those out and you'll be able to get inside, think I was able to dissemble my latch enough to disengage it from the back.

The one on my old E30 failed when I went to get my registration and insurance papers after being pulled over. He sat there and waited for me to disassemble it enough to dig them out. All because I didn't have a front plate.

Good to know, I will have to take a look at it tomorrow. Luckily I keep my insurance in my wallet and just got my new registration, so no huge hurry to fix it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So I was cleaning the e46 and taking stock of all the little repairs that need doing and I decided to remove the following piece of trim to clean under it.

Glad I did as it was filthy under there with a spot of corrosion but now I can't get the damned thing back on. It needs to engage three clips at once and I can barely get one engaged at a time, any suggestions? I need to do the other three as well, at least one more corrosion spot lurking.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Anyone see a long-term problem with installing a battery tender directly to the battery in the trunk of my E90? I got the discharge light because I don't drive on long enough trips and I would like my battery to last a while longer. I don't want to install it under the hood so I hooked the pigtail to the little nut on the negative post and one of the nuts under one of the plastic flaps on the positive side.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cakefool posted:

So I was cleaning the e46 and taking stock of all the little repairs that need doing and I decided to remove the following piece of trim to clean under it.

Glad I did as it was filthy under there with a spot of corrosion but now I can't get the damned thing back on. It needs to engage three clips at once and I can barely get one engaged at a time, any suggestions? I need to do the other three as well, at least one more corrosion spot lurking.

Usually with the door trim you really need to hit it hard to get clips to engage. Like with a rubber mallet. Also, make sure the clips came out with the trim and aren't stuck in the door.

edit: your picture is tiny, but I'm pretty sure I see white squares which would be the trim clips. Those need to come out and you probably need new ones.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Also keep in mind that practically all the trim clips are basically one-time use only and if the car is over 5 years old, especially so - since the plastic starts disintegrating. I have ran into this with interior door clips, exterior door trim clips, window rail clips and so forth. They all fail.

I'd order a bunch of various spares from Pelican.