Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

This is why you don't give users admin rights.
edit: This guy isn't in IT.
:psyduck:

I love when users ask you questions that simply don't make any sense no matter how you parse them. I had somebody this morning asking me about what IP address her e-mail was tied to, and if that could be the problem with her cloud syncing.

I don't even know where to begin responding to that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_71 posted:

I love when users ask you questions that simply don't make any sense no matter how you parse them. I had somebody this morning asking me about what IP address her e-mail was tied to, and if that could be the problem with her cloud syncing.

As much as I want to know why Windows Help isn't working, or why he thinks Windows Help isn't working, or why he thinks that replacing the executables will fix things, the policy is that if they get admin rights, they lose support outside of a reimage. For some reason, they never want to do that when something breaks.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Inspector_71 posted:

I usually find "No" to be the best response to something like that.

anthonypants posted:

As much as I want to know why Windows Help isn't working, or why he thinks Windows Help isn't working, or why he thinks that replacing the executables will fix things, the policy is that if they get admin rights, they lose support outside of a reimage. For some reason, they never want to do that when something breaks.

Same here. It's a company full of software developers, so local admin is pretty much required, but fuckups are usually a "drop off your laptop for a couple hours and play some foosball while we reimage it" deal.

Likewise thankfully, it's a company full of software developers, so 1. Important poo poo is all in source control, 2. Every user worth their salt has some form of backup or quick-setup script to get from a base image to a working machine in fairly short order, and 3. 90% of the things that happen to require a reimage are dysfunctional-hardware related anyways.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Inspector_71 posted:

It's fun when you can respond "This doesn't make sense" or:

Ticket posted:

Currently we have x & y. Can we display z?

eithedog posted:

Currently we have x & z. We can do whatever we want!

What I hate is when user tries to be helpful and after describing their problem tries to debug it himself. Oh, clicking the button is not working and you think it's a Javascript issue?
After 2h spent on debugging the library, it's the fault of two class attributes in the given tag, which renders the handle useless. Great... (eithedog, you're a retard, don't rely on anything the user says)

Cybernaut!

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

Inspector_71 posted:

That's like asking "What color is the number 27?"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

User Submitted Ticket posted:

Earlier this week downloaded the Apple iPhone iOS-7 operating system.

Getting some strange performance with “my” iPhone-5.

· We have two iPhones bought at the same time in December. And have a iPad 2.

· Use a PC MS 7 operating system with a link to the iCloud for contacts and calendar.

“You are our ISP.

Able to receive and send emails with no problem.

· Although am getting some messages indicating problems with the “server”. If I click through it seems to work.

The problem happens, when using “my” iPhone linking to the iCloud for contacts, calendar.

· For example if I make a change to either contact or calendar on the “my” iPhone it does not show up on the other Apple devices and or the PC iCloud connection.

· If I use the PC iCloud to set up items it will do so on the other devices, “my” iPhone.

Before I call Apple want to be sure the iOS-7 download of is “clean” as far as the ISP portion is concerned.

:gonk:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CitizenKain posted:

During one of our many department renames, they asked for input on what our group should be called. I volunteered Office of Applied Technomancy. Since then they have stopped asking me for input on things like that. In a way, I consider that a victory.

Transmechanics would be acceptable for a networking field.

I wish they'd let us name ourselves. I work for a public agency and I secretly suspect that the horrible job titles they give us are a ploy to make us unhireable elsewhere so we'll stay forever.

The worst title I've ever seen in any place I've ever worked was "Person In Charge."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ursine Asylum posted:

I usually find "No" to be the best response to something like that.

I tend to furrow my brow and respond with "No..." but people seem to want an explanation as to why the answer is no. Thankfully they usually are fine with "They're separate accounts."

I think part of the problem is that iCloud requires your e-mail as the username, even though it isn't necessarily doing anything with your e-mail, and that seriously sends people up poo poo creek trying to realize they're separate things.

EDIT: This person also wanted to speak to the "highest level iCloud expert" at my company.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, and to everyone saying how easy DNS is: check out the A records for "wc-roads.com" right now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inspector_71 posted:

I tend to furrow my brow and respond with "No..." but people seem to want an explanation as to why the answer is no. Thankfully they usually are fine with "They're separate accounts."

I think part of the problem is that iCloud requires your e-mail as the username, even though it isn't necessarily doing anything with your e-mail, and that seriously sends people up poo poo creek trying to realize they're separate things.

EDIT: This person also wanted to speak to the "highest level iCloud expert" at my company.

"We have a distributed expertise structure. A knowledge cloud."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Inspector_71 posted:

but people seem to want an explanation as to why the answer is no.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ballard/bofh/excuses

Generate randomly or in rotation as needed.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

anthonypants posted:

Oh, and to everyone saying how easy DNS is: check out the A records for "wc-roads.com" right now.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RadicalR posted:

Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

DNS is like the phone book, if there is no entry for "wc-roads.com" no one can get there. For us, best practice is having "www.wc-roads.com" be a CNAME to "wc-roads.com" and the root "wc-roads.com" be an A record so you only have to update 1 thing. They don't have an A record at all for "wc-roads.com" but they do have an A record for "www.wc-roads.com" so if you don't use www you don't get anything.

That's a govt job :lol:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I still don't see why printers don't come with a 128mb flash drive that hosts the base drivers for xp/win7/osx

come the gently caress on.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

What kind of crazy world do you live in where HP could make their printer drivers fit on anything smaller than a 1GB drive.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A ticket came in,

quote:

please note that we are having other counseling professionals sending us Linkedin to our emails. I am not sure that we want to get this started as it will fill up our emails after a bit. I have Linked in on my personal email and get several contacts a day. Just thought you may want to look into it. Don’t know if we can block these coming in or not. Might be conversation for you there in XXXX. Thanks

Then maybe don't use your work emails for Linkedin if it's that big of problem? :what:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

anthonypants posted:

Cool:
wc-roads.com. 900 IN NS sunny2.ci.hillsboro.or.us.
wc-roads.com. 900 IN NS dns2.the-bug.org.
wc-roads.com. 900 IN SOA sunny2.ci.hillsboro.or.us. dns.ci.hillsboro.or.us. 14 3600 600 604800 900

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

too many posts to read through if you miss a day or two. Too many concurrent conversations. Thread is getting harder to read.

More poo poo that pisses you off

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I still don't see why printers don't come with a 128mb flash drive that hosts the base drivers for xp/win7/osx

The HP LaserJet P1102w comes with one built-in and it's fantastic. Plug it in via usb, it mounts as a flash drive with the drivers as an autorun. I really wish more printers would follow in its footsteps.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 25, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kensei posted:

DNS is like the phone book, if there is no entry for "wc-roads.com" no one can get there. For us, best practice is having "www.wc-roads.com" be a CNAME to "wc-roads.com" and the root "wc-roads.com" be an A record so you only have to update 1 thing. They don't have an A record at all for "wc-roads.com" but they do have an A record for "www.wc-roads.com" so if you don't use www you don't get anything.

That's a govt job :lol:

For the longest time we had https://www.dept.school.edu and dept.school.edu. We also have all our computers with public IPs (because hooray research institution). For many years we set the MX records for all our IPs to be dept.school.edu instead of mail.dept.school.edu. So dept.school.edu was the record for the mail server, not the web serer. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that we finally changed that (and many years after I did an exhaustive search through DNS to find that no single MX record was pointing at dept.school.edu anymore).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What kind of crazy world do you live in where HP could make their printer drivers fit on anything smaller than a 1GB drive.

What kind of crazy world do you live in where the drivers that come with the printer are actually functional, as opposed to being 2 years out of date and bluescreening your machine if you're dumb enough to actually install them.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

too many posts to read through if you miss a day or two. Too many concurrent conversations. Thread is getting harder to read.

More poo poo that pisses you off

Thank christ for that.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

guppy posted:

This is barely even technical, but we have a computerized system for checking out visitors to the building we work in for security reasons, for several reasons, to make sure we aren't giving felons or whoever access to the building. I don't really know anything about it, we weren't involved in its implementation. I got a call today from a user who's having trouble logging in. She apparently thinks nothing of saying her password to this sensitive security system, out loud, not only to me but in front of visitors to the building. The same visitors she's supposed to be background checking. I'm sure these particular people were fine, but Jesus, does no one have any sense at all?

You mean like our docs/nurses/assorted lettered mental health professionals happily inputting the codes for the security doors in plain view of the clients they're bringing in?

Must be cool, though, because various of 'em will send the clients out after their appointment with "the exit is down that hall and take a left, see you next time!"

:smithicide:

Also:

:black101: "Yeah, hold up there, can't let you through the security door without an ID, and I don't recognise you."

:v: "Oh, it's in my bag/desk/at home!"

:black101: "OK, then your bag/desk/home is authourised to be in the secure areas."

:v: "But I'm me!" (actual quote, heard multiple times)

:black101: <migraine salute>

I've only had to talk one psychotic guy out of medical records, and that's about ten too many... I should pay some streetie $20 to come barging in with a realistic foam-rubber axe (supplied by me so there's no less chance of fuckup), see if any of these yohos catch on.

Meanwhile, in IT-related :downs:...

:v: "Hey, the CIO was supposed to have some hardcopy routed to him last week..."

:black101: "I was off last week, but it would have been routed to his mailbox in the hallway."

(check mailbox as I'm doing other poo poo - 4-5 pieces of mail. As expected.)

Maybe I should put in a work order for webcams to enable remote monitoring of their physical mail receptacles? Someone else in IT got all worried about a check he hadn't recieved.. well, hadn't taken out of his mailbox, where it had sat since delivery, 15 minutes after it had been picked up from the business office.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

FISHMANPET posted:

For the longest time we had https://www.dept.school.edu and dept.school.edu. We also have all our computers with public IPs (because hooray research institution). For many years we set the MX records for all our IPs to be dept.school.edu instead of mail.dept.school.edu. So dept.school.edu was the record for the mail server, not the web serer. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that we finally changed that (and many years after I did an exhaustive search through DNS to find that no single MX record was pointing at dept.school.edu anymore).

My high school was the same way, they just fixed it in the last year. I used to accidentally end up at the web portal login because I never remember to use the prefix.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Or the manufacturer could deposit their drivers with Microsoft that then made some kind of one button solution to make their OS automatically retrieve them from the Internet.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Inspector_71 posted:

I love when users ask you questions that simply don't make any sense no matter how you parse them.

It really impressed me when a question just makes so little sense that it leaves me speechless.

"Hey yeah, QPZIL, my name is John User and I work at the Suchandsuch Recreation Center front desk right now. I feel like the next logical step career wise would be to get a job as a programmer - someone told me I should look into Microsoft Outlook, could you give me some advice?"

:geno:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

SEKCobra posted:

Cool:
wc-roads.com. 900 IN NS sunny2.ci.hillsboro.or.us.
wc-roads.com. 900 IN NS dns2.the-bug.org.
wc-roads.com. 900 IN SOA sunny2.ci.hillsboro.or.us. dns.ci.hillsboro.or.us. 14 3600 600 604800 900

I take this is some sort of sarcasm? Or are you completely unaware that having your NS split between multiple providers is key to surviving DNS DDoS?

They should have more than two NS though, but if they're both anycast then it's OK.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Who cares, the site isn't up anyway :D

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

peak debt posted:

Or the manufacturer could deposit their drivers with Microsoft that then made some kind of one button solution to make their OS automatically retrieve them from the Internet.

Well, there's Windows updates, but that doesn't do our company any good since Corp. decided to block it. Everything has to go through WSUS and they're not distributing drivers, only updates.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish network cards had a basic fallback mode where a generic driver will at least give some operation, kinda like video cards can at least do a basic screen without their real drivers. Because really, if you have your network more or less active, you can get the rest of them.

But instead you have to dig through a pile of old disks trying to find whatever motherboard driver cd you have, just to get old network drivers, just to download up to date ones anyways so you can get everything else.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wish network cards had a basic fallback mode where a generic driver will at least give some operation, kinda like video cards can at least do a basic screen without their real drivers. Because really, if you have your network more or less active, you can get the rest of them.

But instead you have to dig through a pile of old disks trying to find whatever motherboard driver cd you have, just to get old network drivers, just to download up to date ones anyways so you can get everything else.

This is where those flash drives that we're trying to group buy would come in handy. Load any mandatory/very useful drivers/patches on it and look like a hero. Then, later at home, use it to drink your day away.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Maybe I should put in a work order for webcams to enable remote monitoring of their physical mail receptacles? Someone else in IT got all worried about a check he hadn't recieved.. well, hadn't taken out of his mailbox, where it had sat since delivery, 15 minutes after it had been picked up from the business office.

Given that the very first webcam ever was used to monitor a coffee pot. This seems like a perfectly valid use.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Lum posted:

Given that the very first webcam ever was used to monitor a coffee pot. This seems like a perfectly valid use.

Maybe it could play an audio file when the image changes, too.

"You've got mail!" seems catchy enough.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

feld posted:

I take this is some sort of sarcasm? Or are you completely unaware that having your NS split between multiple providers is key to surviving DNS DDoS?

They should have more than two NS though, but if they're both anycast then it's OK.

But the original mockery was about A records, not NS records.

code:
C:\>nslookup
Default Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com
Address:  8.8.4.4

> set type=A
> wc-roads.com
Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com

Name:    wc-roads.com
So the A record exists, but does not have an address attached. That's different.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Lum posted:

http://www.centennialbulb.org/cam.htm

best webcam.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

TWBalls posted:

Well, there's Windows updates, but that doesn't do our company any good since Corp. decided to block it. Everything has to go through WSUS and they're not distributing drivers, only updates.

You could point the driver search path to a network location either in a GPO or in the image.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731664(v=ws.10).aspx

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

:colbert: http://smp.uq.edu.au/content/pitch-drop-experiment

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

wa27 posted:

A ticket came in,

Then maybe don't use your work emails for Linkedin if it's that big of problem? :what:

Why in the name of all that's good and holy would you sign up for a site that is, basically by definition, *meant for finding other jobs*, with your *current job's work email address*?

The only exception I could possibly see to that would be if your day job is "recruiter".

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zorak of Michigan posted:

But the original mockery was about A records, not NS records.

code:
C:\>nslookup
Default Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com

> set type=A
> wc-roads.com
Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com

Name:    wc-roads.com
So the A record exists, but does not have an address attached. That's different.
This is what I was pointing out :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dick Trauma posted:

Due to job hopping and working at sensitive places (cops, railroad, etc.) I've had to pee in many a cup. I have never done drugs and don't drink so it was a waste of time, but my real problem is that for some reason when peeing into a cup I usually start laughing. I'm also a bit paranoid because one time they gave me a broken one and I thought I was peeing on my hand but it was just leaking out.
Yeah this is hilarious until you had a couple too many cups of coffee or sodas in a day, and fail due to your sample being too watered down - which is an instant positive since people who do drugs tend to think they can ingest other poo poo to dilute their samples and come out clean.. :woop:

Charun posted:

:catdrugs: insider tip i once got: no one ever bothers testing for LSD
I've always heard that it's because they do a Spinal Tap.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 26, 2013

• Locked thread