Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Niggurath posted:

What are you defining as full LP, cause: http://lparchive.org/Outlaws/

I hadn't seen it on youtube is what I meant. Sorry about that.

EDIT: This guy does a good enough job of the game that I don't feel I will need to touch it for a while. He did a good job.

valkhorn fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I think someone here stated in this thread earlier that even though someone might have already finished an LP of a game, starting a new LP still reopens any sort of discussion for this game. If you feel that you want to stop all plans to LP this game on account that someone has already finished one, by all means go right ahead. However, I doubt that anyone here will stop you from LPing this game since I feel that you are bringing something new to the table by simply showcasing the game through your own perspective.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Aye, I wasn't meaning to state it that way but I didn't want people to be under the illusion that it has never been done. Especially with something that was done like five years ago, I'm sure it'll reopen the doors of interest to the game and it's a shame that it's apparently so difficult to get running.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CommissarMega posted:

What bet was this? And why haven't you hunted down the one who made it with you and dueled them for your honour? :v:

I talked Rumrusher into making a counter-avatar for Lemonrind, but he never posts so you never see it. I'm pretty sure he's kept it because it basically called him the CEO of Funhavers Inc. and was a space marine with a party hat on his head.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Are there any decent/recommended online poll making sites if I wanted to theoretically have a vote in a thread for a decisions or the like but didn't want dozens of lovely white noise posts to decide said vote? Not that I'm off my meds and thinking about getting back into LPing or anything.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Thwack! posted:

I think someone here stated in this thread earlier that even though someone might have already finished an LP of a game, starting a new LP still reopens any sort of discussion for this game. If you feel that you want to stop all plans to LP this game on account that someone has already finished one, by all means go right ahead. However, I doubt that anyone here will stop you from LPing this game since I feel that you are bringing something new to the table by simply showcasing the game through your own perspective.

It's more than that. Getting the game to work and record properly on Windows 7 is more trouble than it's worth right now - especially when someone is out there right now working on a reboot of the DarkXL engine for OpenGL which will fix all of these problems to begin with.

That LP was done in 2008, when it was probably done on an older 32 bit XP machine.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Niggurath posted:

Aye, I wasn't meaning to state it that way but I didn't want people to be under the illusion that it has never been done. Especially with something that was done like five years ago, I'm sure it'll reopen the doors of interest to the game and it's a shame that it's apparently so difficult to get running.

The LucasArts forums are riddled with problems with the game in Windows 7. Some people have even reported the game completely crashing by disk 2. I haven't tried Ubuntu, but my linux box isn't rigged up for recording LPs.

I have a few old computer components - so my other thought was building a small rig for legacy games anyways and attempting FRAPs there if I can find the horsepower to do it.

Running a virtual machine is also possible for the game, but I don't have the right version of Windows to do it.

If anyone else wants to take a stab at it and wants to know what problems I found, what fixes I could do, etc., they're welcome to talk to me about it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

Are there any decent/recommended online poll making sites if I wanted to theoretically have a vote in a thread for a decisions or the like but didn't want dozens of lovely white noise posts to decide said vote? Not that I'm off my meds and thinking about getting back into LPing or anything.

The Dangan Ronpa thread, which has probably greatest volume of votes I've ever seen on this forum when a vote is open, uses easypolls.net. However, they are trivial to cheat. You can vote infinitely by simply clearing your cookies over and over, so that may or may not be a deal-breaker for you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

There should be. What's the thing being used by the Virtue's Last Reward thread?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

http://strawpoll.me/470539

Straw Poll is what I use at least.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Two people have disliked my Heretic video, but nobody in the forums has commented against it. Any other objections I should know about before I attempt a thread in a few days?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

valkhorn posted:

Two people have disliked my Heretic video, but nobody in the forums has commented against it. Any other objections I should know about before I attempt a thread in a few days?
Nah, it's probably just people being dicks because you've now gotten a stigma of posting too much. It'll probably go away in a while but people in the sandcastle can be pretty passive aggressive for no real reason.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

I suppose. That's life though. Anybody can be a critic sometimes.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

valkhorn posted:

I just watched it and as a first attempt it seems okay - though trying to kill the enemies a bit faster in the first video may be more pleasant to watch. I'd recommend not standing around at all unless you're looking at something specific - the video probably should be around 5-6 minutes long for that level moving at a good pace. Because it's so short you should be able to easily plan out your route and do multiple runs until you get it smoothly without backtracking or wandering around. If you can't talk and kill at the same time then just record it and do post-commentary while watching it back afterward.

Also be careful about filler commentary - though this hopefully shouldn't be an issue if you up the pace a bit. Regarding the downvotes, just ignore them - sometimes games or people are controversial so unless someone makes a comment it's better to just ignore the votes.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

unfair posted:

I just watched it and as a first attempt it seems okay - though trying to kill the enemies a bit faster in the first video may be more pleasant to watch. I'd recommend not standing around at all unless you're looking at something specific - the video probably should be around 5-6 minutes long for that level moving at a good pace. Because it's so short you should be able to easily plan out your route and do multiple runs until you get it smoothly without backtracking or wandering around. If you can't talk and kill at the same time then just record it and do post-commentary while watching it back afterward.

Also be careful about filler commentary - though this hopefully shouldn't be an issue if you up the pace a bit. Regarding the downvotes, just ignore them - sometimes games or people are controversial so unless someone makes a comment it's better to just ignore the votes.

Good to know. Thanks!

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

Atomic Spud posted:

So... Here's a test OP

My main question would be in regard to the image sizes. They seem a bit big now, but too much smaller and the text gets hard to read. My other question is whether it's a terrible idea to try and LP this the way I plan on doing it.

Reposting this from a bit back because I think it got lost in a shuffle. Now with handy image link!

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

The Dark Id posted:

I used easypolls a while back, and as far as I know nobody bothered to cheat using that cookies trick. Still, straw poll looks a lot more visually appealing.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Atomic Spud posted:

Reposting this from a bit back because I think it got lost in a shuffle. Now with handy image link!

You might want to create a test update, just pick some random team and year and show off how a normal update would look, because you haven't really shown anything yet.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The Dark Id posted:

StrawPoll and EasyPolls look to be pretty much identical featurewise (although EasyPolls can do some things if you pay them but gently caress that). If you want to be pedantic EasyPolls is "more fully featured" because it offers such mindblowing extra functionality as letting you choose whether or not voters can see the exact number of votes for each choice or just the percentage, and lets you choose your own text for the "vote" button and stuff like that. Plus it lets you kinda customize the look of your poll. Kinda. Hey, it might come in handy for flavour or something.

Both sites offer "anti-cheat" which is your basic IP-checking deal. If you're really worried about people cheating in super-serious LP choice votes you can turn it on and pretty much rest easy (though it might mess up people who read SA from work/college networks but hey).

Neither site lets you take a middle ground between strictly-one-choice and many-choices-as-you-like, so you can't, say, let people vote for exactly two choices, but for the most part you can just let people vote for as many choices as they want and just pick the top two. The "pick only X choices" vote system really only matters when people are voting on the forums since it's simple and easy to think about and easy to count. But when a computer's taking care of the backend for you there's really no reason to stop someone from voting for all but one choice if that's what they really want.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

valkhorn posted:

Heretic Thingy

A couple points I want to throw out. You should point out that you're using the Doomsday Engine that makes several modifications to the game to include altering the game mechanics (jumping for instance). Additionally, you definitely got lost briefly at several points in the E1M1; typically the simplest level. This shouldn't sound condescending, but you took a long time to get through the very first level. Yes, you were showing all secrets and all kills and yes the Heretic maps do take longer to go through then Doom maps, but eight minutes was pretty long. I would suggest just to map out all the spots you're going to hit prior to recording, this will minimize unnecessary back tracking.

Following that, the in game volume was...well, where was it? I didn't hear the kickin-rad midi files or anything, it was pretty muted. It's nothing groundbreaking, but you might want to check on that. I'd also remove the hud too. You're using Doomsday and it will clean up and give you a very nice minimalist view. As cool looking as it is, it does take up a lot of room and just more gimicky and distracting to look at in game.

Finally, for a good reference for follow along; here's Suspicious awesome (but slightly old) LP: http://lparchive.org/Heretic/. Please don't take this as a "don't do this" tone, you should. It's been several years and it would be nice to see it revisited. It's a good game, albeit with a few gimicky things here or there, but enjoyable none the less. It's a personal fave of mine from ages past.

Alright, that's all I got.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Gordito posted:

A couple points I want to throw out. You should point out that you're using the Doomsday Engine that makes several modifications to the game to include altering the game mechanics (jumping for instance). Additionally, you definitely got lost briefly at several points in the E1M1; typically the simplest level. This shouldn't sound condescending, but you took a long time to get through the very first level. Yes, you were showing all secrets and all kills and yes the Heretic maps do take longer to go through then Doom maps, but eight minutes was pretty long. I would suggest just to map out all the spots you're going to hit prior to recording, this will minimize unnecessary back tracking.

Following that, the in game volume was...well, where was it? I didn't hear the kickin-rad midi files or anything, it was pretty muted. It's nothing groundbreaking, but you might want to check on that. I'd also remove the hud too. You're using Doomsday and it will clean up and give you a very nice minimalist view. As cool looking as it is, it does take up a lot of room and just more gimicky and distracting to look at in game.

Finally, for a good reference for follow along; here's Suspicious awesome (but slightly old) LP: http://lparchive.org/Heretic/. Please don't take this as a "don't do this" tone, you should. It's been several years and it would be nice to see it revisited. It's a good game, albeit with a few gimicky things here or there, but enjoyable none the less. It's a personal fave of mine from ages past.

Alright, that's all I got.

Thanks. I'm actually using ZDoom. I don't like Doomsday at all - it's too dissimilar to the original game. I can get rid of the jump key. I can also unmute the midi and lower the sound effects.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

valkhorn posted:

Heretic stuff

I'm going to be frank - your commentary was boring. As a guide through the level, it was fine, but why should I keep watching? I ended up reading something else and completely forgot about the video. This isn't a critique on your audio quality; that seemed to be alright to me, though really all I could hear was the monster cries. What I think you need is some way of keeping attention: why should I watch your video? Do you intend to explain what we're doing and why? Are you going to discuss the practices of using ideas and changing a few things?

I think that you could benefit by having a list of things to discuss during the video. Either do post-commentary or just have some sort of script to read off of while playing through the game. The video could be improved a lot by having something interesting to listen to while you wander through brown corridor #27. That brings me to another point - know where you're going so that you don't have to backtrack. This is a minor nitpick, but I think you wandered through the same area four times. That's just another thing that bores me, and I don't think you're going to keep an audience if you're boring.

Just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt the size of a brick, because I'm not too good with VLPs.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

GeneralYeti posted:

I'm going to be frank - your commentary was boring. As a guide through the level, it was fine, but why should I keep watching? I ended up reading something else and completely forgot about the video. This isn't a critique on your audio quality; that seemed to be alright to me, though really all I could hear was the monster cries. What I think you need is some way of keeping attention: why should I watch your video? Do you intend to explain what we're doing and why? Are you going to discuss the practices of using ideas and changing a few things?

I think that you could benefit by having a list of things to discuss during the video. Either do post-commentary or just have some sort of script to read off of while playing through the game. The video could be improved a lot by having something interesting to listen to while you wander through brown corridor #27. That brings me to another point - know where you're going so that you don't have to backtrack. This is a minor nitpick, but I think you wandered through the same area four times. That's just another thing that bores me, and I don't think you're going to keep an audience if you're boring.

Just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt the size of a brick, because I'm not too good with VLPs.

Thanks. I can keep a bulleted list on hand of things to talk about for each level. As far as something interesting to listen to, the MIDI soundtrack isn't the best but it's at least something to fade the volume up on while I'm not talking.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

valkhorn posted:

Thanks. I can keep a bulleted list on hand of things to talk about for each level. As far as something interesting to listen to, the MIDI soundtrack isn't the best but it's at least something to fade the volume up on while I'm not talking.

Co-commentators are also pretty much the immediate cure to this sort of thing as well. I realize I'm one to talk when I've done literally every single LP with TheLastRoboKy, but we're way more entertaining together than we ever would be separately. If you're just getting into the LPing game, you can simply solicit for co-commentators and make a point of talking to folks if you feel you clicked with them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gatz posted:

I used easypolls a while back, and as far as I know nobody bothered to cheat using that cookies trick. Still, straw poll looks a lot more visually appealing.

I liked easypolls for everything I've done because I just had to use my google account to get an account and then access to all of them whenever I needed them.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Coolguye posted:

Co-commentators are also pretty much the immediate cure to this sort of thing as well. I realize I'm one to talk when I've done literally every single LP with TheLastRoboKy, but we're way more entertaining together than we ever would be separately. If you're just getting into the LPing game, you can simply solicit for co-commentators and make a point of talking to folks if you feel you clicked with them.

This helps a lot. It can do wonders and help engage you to stay on topic. I think GeneralYeti's commentary critique and mine regarding time in level go hand in hand. Both of which are easily fixable.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Gordito posted:

This helps a lot. It can do wonders and help engage you to stay on topic. I think GeneralYeti's commentary critique and mine regarding time in level go hand in hand. Both of which are easily fixable.

The only challenge would be to find someone willing to sit through all five eps of the series - or maybe at least a few episodes.

How is that normally accomplished? Something like skype to record both people, and let the other person watch your screen as you play and record it?

I wonder if my girlfriend would be up to watching me play and commenting on it. It's an idea.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

valkhorn posted:

The only challenge would be to find someone willing to sit through all five eps of the series - or maybe at least a few episodes.

How is that normally accomplished? Something like skype to record both people, and let the other person watch your screen as you play and record it?

I wonder if my girlfriend would be up to watching me play and commenting on it. It's an idea.

Well it usually depends. If you're going to record it live, then you should probably stream it over Twitch or something and have everyone record their audio on Audacity and sent it over to you. If you're doing it in post, just encode a low quality version of the video that's watchable. I highly suggest doing it in post because stream lag can be a bit weird for commentary, but don't let that stop you.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Well it usually depends. If you're going to record it live, then you should probably stream it over Twitch or something and have everyone record their audio on Audacity and sent it over to you. If you're doing it in post, just encode a low quality version of the video that's watchable. I highly suggest doing it in post because stream lag can be a bit weird for commentary, but don't let that stop you.

I'll play around with some ideas. If I'm unable to find a partner for commentary for this then I'll just do my best to try to make the commentary interesting.

Now I do know my girlfriend would probably be more than willing to join me on a shorter LP - and probably something more recent.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Start it with just you and leave a note in the OP that you want co-commentators. You'll typically get at least a few bites there.

Commentating with your SO is good since you presumably already have chemistry though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Coolguye posted:

Start it with just you and leave a note in the OP that you want co-commentators. You'll typically get at least a few bites there.

Commentating with your SO is good since you presumably already have chemistry though.

Well, that second point depends on the girlfriend. My fiancee would half pay attention, half play candy crush, ask questions that could be answered if she paid attention and then ask more questions that we wouldn't have answers on for several episodes if my experience with her watching TV shows is anything to go by.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

Well, that second point depends on the girlfriend. My fiancee would half pay attention, half play candy crush, ask questions that could be answered if she paid attention and then ask more questions that we wouldn't have answers on for several episodes if my experience with her watching TV shows is anything to go by.

Sounds like she'll make a perfect cocommentator then!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'd presume someone that unethusiastic wouldn't agree to co-commentate with you in the first place.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Coolguye posted:

I'd presume someone that unethusiastic wouldn't agree to co-commentate with you in the first place.

I wouldn't say unenthusiastic, but I would say easily distracted. She actually sat in on me playing Tomb Raider for a few hours for the LP, and in the second half of the recording I turned the mic off for the collectible round up in the area and she was super interested and was pointing out stuff I would have missed. A co-pilot can be fun, but you have to know he or she will be interested in the slow or boring parts of the game as well as the action and story areas, whether it is your SO or not.

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

Atomic Spud posted:

TheFlyingLlama posted:

You might want to create a test update, just pick some random team and year and show off how a normal update would look, because you haven't really shown anything yet.

(click image for OP)

Here is a Test Update for everybody.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A follow up to the previous test post a page earlier. I'd really appreciate some input.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485255&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=328#post419808336
Here's the video for update 2
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
I'd say, Part 3 of this update is when the game thinks it's getting exciting, with inquisitive phonecalls and the casing the joint bit.
Now, if that is still unbearably slow to watch (it is, and I can't fill every damned pause in this wreck with commentary :sweatdrop:) I have a plan B.
It's not much trouble to re-record/re-comment a "Cut the Crap" edition of the LP, where I skip all the worthless item comments, and large chunks of the lengthy dialogue and monologue and the ever-present walking in silence. I tried it already, and it lets me condense >50 minutes of the game down to about 20 minutes of actual gameplay. Most speeches are easy to sum up in 15 seconds.
Or should I just give up and find something more eventful?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I remember Voidburger saying she really wanted to do Lone Survivor...did that happen and I missed it?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Speedball posted:

I remember Voidburger saying she really wanted to do Lone Survivor...did that happen and I missed it?

I really want to commentate on Lone Survivor. (I'm very lovely at playing it.) So nope, you didn't miss it because it didn't happen!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

I really want to commentate on Lone Survivor. (I'm very lovely at playing it.) So nope, you didn't miss it because it didn't happen!

drat. I suppose if we could get someone else who doesn't suck at it to do it... (I suck at it too! drat! Maybe I'd better learn more about how to play it...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Speedball posted:

drat. I suppose if we could get someone else who doesn't suck at it to do it... (I suck at it too! drat! Maybe I'd better learn more about how to play it...)
I don't suck at it ;) but the game is also beyond dull to me for some reason. You'd think that 2-D pixel art Silent Hill would be fun but the game was a slog to me for some reason.

• Locked thread