Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Funkutron5000 posted:

I may have some starter stuff for ya'll to use. Send me a tell on Corova/ Corovad if you see me on and I should be able to hook ya up.

Much appreciated, I may take you up on that. My buddy managed to beg/make newbie deals for a couple pieces of gear for himself. I'm unconcerned with that stuff right now since I could do my job naked (and dark elves essentially do, those crazy kids).

Big thanks again to Integ for hook-up on spell buying money for like, our entire trip to level 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Rocketpriest posted:

Much appreciated, I may take you up on that. My buddy managed to beg/make newbie deals for a couple pieces of gear for himself. I'm unconcerned with that stuff right now since I could do my job naked (and dark elves essentially do, those crazy kids).

Big thanks again to Integ for hook-up on spell buying money for like, our entire trip to level 30.

No biggie. I'd have given you more, but I made a huge mistake selling a Tolans bracer to a full vendor on accident, then spending 2k trying to buy poo poo back to see it. Lol

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Trying to get my computer back up and running.

Bugen, do you still follow EC tunnel trends? Wondering how I can raise a bit of money before Velious on undercamped or high demand items.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Trying to get my computer back up and running.

Bugen, do you still follow EC tunnel trends? Wondering how I can raise a bit of money before Velious on undercamped or high demand items.

Skullmonkey shall return~

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I was in EC for about 4 hours a few weekends ago for the first time in awhile and noticed that prices are up in general. There's also a much busier market for low and midlevel gear than there's been in long time. I imagine this is largely due to the soaring new player population (1k+ daily during peak hours), but the ban on account trading awhile back has also played a part. The value of items has crept back up now that people have to roll new characters and gear them out if they want an alt - that stock of rotating planar and other nodrop geared characters is largely frozen. There's also been a number of changes to stuff that makes it harder to get around (more mobs see invis now, more green mobs aggro, FD doesn't auto-memblur with invis/sneak) so a lot of camps that used to be easy access for lots of different classes and levels are now much harder to do. A number of higher end camps also require more people than they used to.

Two examples:
The 100-10k priced common twink gear like GEBs or Diamondine Earrings that had been seriously overfarmed and in decreasing demand are now worth closer to what they were when Kunark was released.
Camps in places like Droga are really difficult/time consuming to get to now that there's tons of see-invis aggro mobs in the way. Prices of stuff like Earring of Essence and Circlet of Shadows have both doubled since early this year.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Any chance that the sneak/hide ridiculousness will be fixed? I honest to god don't ever remember all of KC and seb to be see through rogue invis.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
No idea if they will make any changes. It seems pretty accurate to me at the moment. Part of the problem with going off of memories from live is that both of those zones were largely clear of mobs most of the time during Kunark and Velious eras because they were camped out the rear end. Drolvargs and Juggs can randomly see invis just like Kobolds in SolB, and both of those zones are chock full of casters that will put see invis up (which correctly sees through hide as well).

As I mentioned when we chatted about it the other day, Kunark was great for Rogues because it gave them a massive DPS boost due to better gear, better 51+ damage tables, double backstab, and disciplines, and it also made them useful because of all the locked doors, but it really sucked in that almost every zone was like SolB and Perma - full of random see invis mobs, many of which were patrolling, that made it really really difficult to sneak/hide anywhere solo.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

No idea if they will make any changes. It seems pretty accurate to me at the moment. Part of the problem with going off of memories from live is that both of those zones were largely clear of mobs most of the time during Kunark and Velious eras because they were camped out the rear end. Drolvargs and Juggs can randomly see invis just like Kobolds in SolB, and both of those zones are chock full of casters that will put see invis up (which correctly sees through hide as well).

As I mentioned when we chatted about it the other day, Kunark was great for Rogues because it gave them a massive DPS boost due to better gear, better 51+ damage tables, double backstab, and disciplines, and it also made them useful because of all the locked doors, but it really sucked in that almost every zone was like SolB and Perma - full of random see invis mobs, many of which were patrolling, that made it really really difficult to sneak/hide anywhere solo.

It just feels like it's so much more than I ever remember.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I haven't been on in a couple weeks (RL poo poo + GTA V) but I'll be down to power level some dudes (at crushbone or oasis, or wherever, I'm a druid I can go wherever). I'll be on tomorrow during the day and mostly at night, just shoot me a tell/add me, name is Jonky.

Personally speaking, anyone thinking about making a druid, don't listen to that other guy's post if you have patience with groups (you're gonna heal) or someone to duo with (I duo'd with a necro buddy pretty exclusively into the 50's, eventually you will quad kite mobs down. Goes even faster with a clarity from EC which you can port to on a whim and gate back to where you're leveling). Being able to move super fast via Spirit of the Wolf at level 9 and go anywhere you want with ports at 20+ is something that is really keeping me from rolling an alt. I've tried so many times. Hell, making a wizard, who can also port, is the only other class I think I can stomach. There's a lot of money to be made too.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
I'm leveling a Dark elf wizard named Rexod. I'm currently level 13 and have plans to continue onward.

I have an okay robe and jewelry, but everything else is terrible. I'd love to take any newbie caster gear that people don't need.

I'm poor, but I'm working on saving for my spells that can't be researched. I remember that spells 20+ were expensive from vendors.

I'm also willing to group with anyone near my level and area. I'll be playing weeknights and weekends (eastern standard time).

Feel free to add me as a friend to chat. I have tons of downtime when I can't find enchanters.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Arae posted:

I'm leveling a Dark elf wizard named Rexod. I'm currently level 13 and have plans to continue onward.

I have an okay robe and jewelry, but everything else is terrible. I'd love to take any newbie caster gear that people don't need.

I'm poor, but I'm working on saving for my spells that can't be researched. I remember that spells 20+ were expensive from vendors.

I'm also willing to group with anyone near my level and area. I'll be playing weeknights and weekends (eastern standard time).

Feel free to add me as a friend to chat. I have tons of downtime when I can't find enchanters.

I plan to be on a bit tonight, and i can throw some plat your way. I'll be on Swashy.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm running out of things to do in FireFall and clicked on the Shards of Dalaya banner add by mistake. I rolled a bard on that server and uninstalled. I'm thinking about coming back to P99. I feel like a battered house wife just saying that.

I haven't played in, what, a year? More? I'm sure there've been significant changes in addition to my forgetting how to play my high level toons well. One does not simply blow the dust off of a level 60 bard and expect to do well.

I'm seriously thinking about starting from scratch with another bard but for comedy sake, I'm up for suggestions. What should I play?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Inimicul posted:

I'm running out of things to do in FireFall and clicked on the Shards of Dalaya banner add by mistake. I rolled a bard on that server and uninstalled. I'm thinking about coming back to P99. I feel like a battered house wife just saying that.

I haven't played in, what, a year? More? I'm sure there've been significant changes in addition to my forgetting how to play my high level toons well. One does not simply blow the dust off of a level 60 bard and expect to do well.

I'm seriously thinking about starting from scratch with another bard but for comedy sake, I'm up for suggestions. What should I play?

Go for something like a monk. After watching Bugen play his, I get jealous I rolled a rogue.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So since I've got the EQ bug bad and have way more spare time than my buddy, I've gone and made a couple characters to level in his absence. I've got Zixoc the mage (level 12, murdering the hell out of willowisps for sick newbie cash), and just started an Iksar necro named Krenox. I'm not sure which of these will be better to solo and farm plat for the rogue I plan to twink at some point in the future. On the one hand, mages are cool, but on the other hand lizard dudes are cold-blooded awesome (also their newbie zones are great). I had a mage way back 12 or so years ago on live EQ, but I've never played a necromancer, so anyone weighing in on which is the superior soloer/cash grinder would be great. Heck, should I just reroll my necro to dark elf to have easy access to the commonlands? So many questions.

re-edit: Still a lizard necro, gonna try and get a port/bind from a helpful goon (Integ, it's always Integ)

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 28, 2013

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

iNteg posted:

Go for something like a monk. After watching Bugen play his, I get jealous I rolled a rogue.

Monk it shall be. I've never played a monk beyond the newbie lands so that sounds like a good suggestion. Oasis, here I come! (again)

In game as Denanzan the ikky monk. Now begins the harrowing process of seeking out login information out of old scripts since Roegan sure as hell won't help.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 28, 2013

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Any good ideas of where a troll shaman should go at level 10?

I'm really really tired of Guk and there being basically no people where I'm at. I need a change of scenery but not sure where to go.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Any good ideas of where a troll shaman should go at level 10?

I'm really really tired of Guk and there being basically no people where I'm at. I need a change of scenery but not sure where to go.

Hrm, maybe Befallen, Crushbone, Kurn's Tower?

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

I've started playing again recently and got a monk up to lvl 13. Depending on your play times, we could duo in kurns or elsewhere. Name is Molock.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
iNteg, you're in BDA now?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Inimicul posted:

iNteg, you're in BDA now?

Have been since BDA merged with VD forever ago.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
That was shortly before I took my break. Have I missed anything interesting on P99 as far as politics or game mechanics? I suspect bards got more nerfs. What else?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Inimicul posted:

That was shortly before I took my break. Have I missed anything interesting on P99 as far as politics or game mechanics? I suspect bards got more nerfs. What else?

I don't know what you know last, but if you don't know about VD merging into BDA, that's pretty long ago. Here's my run-on version:

VD merged into BDA then BDA started competing a little more and it kinda sucked then a group splintered from BDA and formed FE to directly compete against TMO with DKP and all hours and shenanigans and they got some momentum but then they died out too because holy poo poo P99 is rear end for raiding and also variance aka the worst idea ever was made even more worse by having random overtime variance that can in theory go on forever because Rogean is really loving stupid and / or an amazing troll and doesn't give a gently caress.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
As annoying as variance is, I have to admit it's a better scenario. It's more classic and cuts down on the FTE poo poo.

I was pleased to check BWA site and find some people still playing that I remembered from before.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Finally realized what my password was to my account I gave away a year+ ago. I hope no one is using it?

On my 55 wizard Saidar! Happy to be playing again at non-lowbie levels. Totally broke and some of my nice gear is gone, but that's expected. Still plenty of decent stuff on him.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 30, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

On my 55 wizard

You can easily quad yourself to 56 (and keep doing that or) join up with the Chardok ae groups and afk for 20 min between kills.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Inimicul posted:

As annoying as variance is, I have to admit it's a better scenario. It's more classic and cuts down on the FTE poo poo.

I was pleased to check BWA site and find some people still playing that I remembered from before.

I agree - overall extended variance works well. Anyone who is willing to track a mob has a chance at fielding a raid force and killing the mob, and late window poop socking was drastically reduced. Certain mobs are still socked (mainly VS) because guilds can form exp groups and hope the boss spawns. Variance in VP is kind of pointless because TMO is the only guild who goes in there. Maybe more guilds will go in there if the training issue ever gets resolved. However, I think Rogean likes the drama and has this in place so guilds can eventually "defend" Kerafyrm (the sleeper) from getting woken. Guilds will probably have to join the train wars if they want to compete for the 6 VP dragons. I'm really not sure why more guild alliances aren't formed to compete with the TMO dominance - external guild cooperation is poor on P99.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xZAOx posted:

I don't know what you know last, but if you don't know about VD merging into BDA, that's pretty long ago. Here's my run-on version:

VD merged into BDA then BDA started competing a little more and it kinda sucked then a group splintered from BDA and formed FE to directly compete against TMO with DKP and all hours and shenanigans and they got some momentum but then they died out too because holy poo poo P99 is rear end for raiding and also variance aka the worst idea ever was made even more worse by having random overtime variance that can in theory go on forever because Rogean is really loving stupid and / or an amazing troll and doesn't give a gently caress.

Despite what TMO's propaganda machine might say, FE is alive and kicking. True, we're not getting nearly as many mobs as we used to we're still there competing on darn near every spawn outside of VP.

As for why more guild alliances don't exist? I can't say for sure, but there's so much bad blood between guilds for some reason and it seems that very few are willing to try and compete directly with TMO. It's probably because of variance. I don't blame people for not wanting to track and park out toons. However, I do think it's a good thing to have in that every single raid boss would turn in to a 200 person poop sock without it with loot going to whoever the RNG god decided to bless that day(late in 2012 before extended variance came about VS/ Track poops socks of 130+ TMO/FE/ BDA were quite regular). I assume pretty much every guild with a sizable number of level 60s would show up for it. I do think that the standard variance window should be shrank down, though, with extended variance. When the 7 + or - 2 day dragons/ gods/ VS go extended for another 48+ hours it leads to certain bosses popping once every 2 weeks, which is super obnoxious.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ohno posted:

However, I think Rogean likes the drama

I get the sense that if the server reigns were to be handed over to TMO, nothing would be different.

Listening to the twitch audio from the dev PVP discussion, it sounds like soundbytes from a drunken guild raid. "ehhhhh we kinda care, but.. nah we don't give a gently caress."

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Would it really be that bad to have a GM enforced raid calender? Back in real 1999, our server had one first for the dragons, then for the planes, then for kunark raids, then velious... it had the occasional kink, but overall it worked and it was fair.

I never thought the rush to a certain raid target was the fun part, the fun part was taking down the raid target itself.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Node posted:

Would it really be that bad to have a GM enforced raid calender? Back in real 1999, our server had one first for the dragons, then for the planes, then for kunark raids, then velious... it had the occasional kink, but overall it worked and it was fair.

I never thought the rush to a certain raid target was the fun part, the fun part was taking down the raid target itself.

We had a community enforced raid rotation on The Rathe back in the early days and it worked pretty well imo. A lot of people hated it though and it was mocked by the free-for-all servers.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The free market libertarians of Norrath are ruining my immersion!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
So many Rathe goons. Yeah the RTA calendar worked great for awhile and it made for some amazing forum drama. Things got ugly in Kunark but then the server split right after Velious dropped, about 2/3 of the problem children went to Zeb (KEG, CIW), and it wasn't really needed anymore. BotS pretty much did what they wanted post-rotation and that worked out pretty great other than them waking the Sleeper (though it took a lot of drama that existed on other servers around ST out of the equation as well). SoT was solidly #2 behind BotS with a heavy Euro contingent (time zone advantage!) and NB even as the #3 guild got a few server firsts (AOW) with their 100+ person raid force of 1/3 rangers. I honestly remember the ugliest fights in Velious being over poo poo like Lodizal and Stormfeather. A random person would have a tracking alt in zone and yell out in guild chat when that stuff spawned and 4-5 guilds would send 2-3 people out from the middle of a raid to go have FTE and KS fights. It's really the only thing in my live experience that came close to the ridiculous poo poo that happens on P99.

There's currently a player-agreed rotation for Sky. There will hopefully be more rotations/schedules figured out once Velious is released. That said, the cream-of-the-crop mobs will probably never be on rotation on P99 because the people who would benefit from it the least are those who are most invested in the raid scene and are currently killing most of the mobs. I just want TMO to get another multi-week raid ban sometime when I have the time to log in. Pickup VP raids and helping random small guilds take shots at Trak/VS/Kunark dragons last summer were a blast.

A GM enforced rotation will never happen because NOT-CLASSIC and more importantly, that's a shitload of nannying and enforcement of a really really rambunctious and rules-lawyery playerbase for volunteer GMs.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

So many Rathe goons. Yeah the RTA calendar worked great for awhile and it made for some amazing forum drama. Things got ugly in Kunark but then the server split right after Velious dropped, about 2/3 of the problem children went to Zeb (KEG, CIW), and it wasn't really needed anymore. BotS pretty much did what they wanted post-rotation and that worked out pretty great other than them waking the Sleeper (though it took a lot of drama that existed on other servers around ST out of the equation as well). SoT was solidly #2 behind BotS with a heavy Euro contingent (time zone advantage!) and NB even as the #3 guild got a few server firsts (AOW) with their 100+ person raid force of 1/3 rangers. I honestly remember the ugliest fights in Velious being over poo poo like Lodizal and Stormfeather. A random person would have a tracking alt in zone and yell out in guild chat when that stuff spawned and 4-5 guilds would send 2-3 people out from the middle of a raid to go have FTE and KS fights. It's really the only thing in my live experience that came close to the ridiculous poo poo that happens on P99.

There's currently a player-agreed rotation for Sky. There will hopefully be more rotations/schedules figured out once Velious is released. That said, the cream-of-the-crop mobs will probably never be on rotation on P99 because the people who would benefit from it the least are those who are most invested in the raid scene and are currently killing most of the mobs. I just want TMO to get another multi-week raid ban sometime when I have the time to log in. Pickup VP raids and helping random small guilds take shots at Trak/VS/Kunark dragons last summer were a blast.

A GM enforced rotation will never happen because NOT-CLASSIC and more importantly, that's a shitload of nannying and enforcement of a really really rambunctious and rules-lawyery playerbase for volunteer GMs.

RTA forums were recently resurrected by Vince but I don't think many people are posting there.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

what's your ingame name again? send me a tell on Corova/ Corovad. Or I will send ya one.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

rigberry enema posted:

We had a community enforced raid rotation on The Rathe back in the early days and it worked pretty well imo. A lot of people hated it though and it was mocked by the free-for-all servers.

I was on The Rathe too, dude. Clan Icewind. Who were you?

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I think Karana eventually merged with Rathe, but that was well after I quit. Can I be in the club too?

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Node posted:

Would it really be that bad to have a GM enforced raid calender?

I think it would be terrible if the GMs enforced a raid calendar, plus it would be a pain the the rear end for the GMs to enforce. I don't ever see a scenario where the GMs will want to take on more responsibilities. In my opinion, the rush to get mobs is 1/2 the fun and I like that Rogean left it up to the community to decide how mob splits are handled. Some rotations have worked in the past and some still do. TMO doesn't really have a reason to participate in a rotation when other guilds can't compete on a regular basis and rarely form alliances/merge. Being incapable or unwilling to compete on level ground is a poor excuse to implement a rotation.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

ohno posted:

I think it would be terrible if the GMs enforced a raid calendar, plus it would be a pain the the rear end for the GMs to enforce. I don't ever see a scenario where the GMs will want to take on more responsibilities. In my opinion, the rush to get mobs is 1/2 the fun and I like that Rogean left it up to the community to decide how mob splits are handled. Some rotations have worked in the past and some still do. TMO doesn't really have a reason to participate in a rotation when other guilds can't compete on a regular basis and rarely form alliances/merge. Being incapable or unwilling to compete on level ground is a poor excuse to implement a rotation.

Level ground my rear end, there is no level ground. Otherwise the glitching, rule lawyering and other shady poo poo outside the game (doxxing other guilds leaders and before it was banned, posting RL info) that should have earned players perma bans, would have gotten them perma banned. Jeremy managed to not get banned after being shown and admitting to exploiting an IP exemption.

And these are the little bullshits that happen on both sides of the playing field I'm sure, but there is most def. not a level playing ground when it comes to this. A forced rotation sucks, but I'd rather have a forced rotation than be screwed out of mobs because people can exploit rules set in place to try to encourage fair play.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It went The Rathe - Zebuxoruk - Xegony.. and I assume it kept going, but that's when I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Comatoast posted:

It went The Rathe - Zebuxoruk - Xegony.. and I assume it kept going, but that's when I stopped.

Same here. Started on The Rathe, movelogged to Zebuxoruk when EQ was booming in population and they had to split servers, then went to Xegony many years later when they started merging them.

• Locked thread