Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This new page is hilarious. Too bad GIGI's getting poo poo apparently because "how DARE YOU MAKE A MAN IN A DRESS A JOKE" or whatever.

I wonder if it's genuine concern that she's being transphobic (or whatever would apply in this particular case) or if some people aren't jumping at the chance to call her a hypocrite because she's been rather outspoken on Twitter about disliking cross-dressing jokes in sitcoms and so forth.

Edit: Oh, hey, just caught the last post. I don't know if I'd count that as "getting poo poo", honestly.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't understand where the possible hostility comes from. The recent page only reminded me of the awesome Japanese Kabuki plays. They have men playing women roles, and they do a pretty dang good job at it. Maybe Carrot's just playing the part in that sort of sense and is not really making fun of the whole deal. :shobon:

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

http://gigidigi.tumblr.com/

Yeah. Go figure it's on tumblr but still

That seems like a pretty fair take on the new page, and I wouldn't really say it's "giving Gigi poo poo." I don't agree with the guy's/girl's take on it, but then again what do I know on the matter.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

http://gigidigi.tumblr.com/

Yeah. Go figure it's on tumblr but still

This is a completely reasonable concern presented in a reasonable way, and Gigi responded with an equally reasonable and respectful answer.

This isn't "getting poo poo for it" at all, especially since she explicitly requested that if anyone having issue with the punchline bring it up with her.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This is a completely reasonable concern presented in a reasonable way, and Gigi responded with an equally reasonable and respectful answer.

This isn't "getting poo poo for it" at all, especially since she explicitly requested that if anyone having issue with the punchline bring it up with her.

No you see, Tumblr.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nah I admit fault. I just found it silly that someone would try to take it the wrong way let alone write a post saying "you should get advice first on subjects like that."

I'm sorry on my end.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

"hey, saying "wow, people will get offended by EVERYTHING!!" or "of course you got called out on TUMBLR!!!" isn't doing any good" Source
"most ppl seem to like p401. i like it. a few were made uncomf by it, and I understand why & want to consider their feelings going forward" Source

And that's that.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Yeah, given the medium I'm sure trans-people are more than a little justified in being leery. Gigi is, doubtlessly, going to handle it awesomely but you can't fault people for worrying especially given how in Western Media a gay or crossdressing male has been the butt of jokes forever (Some Like It Hot/Mrs Doubtfire/Tootsie/every 80s sex comedy).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The tumblrites are all just jealous because Carrot is prettier than they'll ever be. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HelloWinter posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't understand where the possible hostility comes from. The recent page only reminded me of the awesome Japanese Kabuki plays. They have men playing women roles, and they do a pretty dang good job at it. Maybe Carrot's just playing the part in that sort of sense and is not really making fun of the whole deal. :shobon:

I am shocked that you are reminded more of Japanese kabuki plays when Bugs Bunny was dressing up as a girl years ago! And he's actually a rabbit!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

I am shocked that you are reminded more of Japanese kabuki plays when Bugs Bunny was dressing up as a girl years ago! And he's actually a rabbit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2djHEIxPVs

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

As I was loading up this page I said to myself I bet Cucumber is going to be a tree :allears:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-402/

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Of course Legato thinks that not being allowed to speak for an hour is a horrible punishment.

Edit: Good job replacing image cropping and editing with a loving meme maker Imgur

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 27, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Edit: Good job replacing image cropping and editing with a loving meme maker Imgur

Whatchu talkin' 'bout? I see this meme maker nonsense, but it looks like just a silly optional thing. I can still edit pictures fine.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Haven't played 'em but that's a Paper Mario reference isn't it?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Blackheart posted:

Haven't played 'em but that's a Paper Mario reference isn't it?

Oh yeah, I guess it is. In the Thousand Year door, Luigi has a bunch of adventures off screen that he tells you about in town, and one of them has him in a play, starring as grass.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Holy poo poo you just made me realize, everything is almost in place for a perfect replication of Paper Mario's combat system right down to the staging and theatre audience! oh poo poo this is gonna rule

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I mean, not to mention the area they're in being pretty similar to Creepy Steeple and Twilight Town from the the second Paper Mario. You all may have cracked the code.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yep, should have said "yet another paper mario reference".

As I said I haven't really played them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

drat near the entire comic is a Paper Mario reference.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

drat near the entire comic is a Paper Mario reference.

I suddenly have the insane urge to play Paper Mario. Cause I never have and if the game is at all like the comic I feel like I'm missing out on something magical.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I suddenly have the insane urge to play Paper Mario. Cause I never have and if the game is at all like the comic I feel like I'm missing out on something magical.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Paper Mario is great. PM: The Thousand-Year Door is even better. Super Paper Mario is alright at best, mediocre at worst.

Don't play Sticker Star.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I dunno man you tell me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwLyKOlo2wc

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-403/

Too bad her role doesn't have glasses.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

It's not the same without all his companions saying things like "He's lying!", "He owes me 1 million coins" or "I have to make sure he never wears a wedding dress again"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-403/

Too bad her role doesn't have glasses.

I guess it's convenient that Nautilus' eyes sparkle all the time. It'll help with her glittery costume.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TwoPair posted:

I guess it's convenient that Nautilus' eyes sparkle all the time. It'll help with her glittery costume.

The last answer in this tumblr post is relevant.

The best reason.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-404/

Nautilus is polite, Legato is kinda creepy.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Just noticed that they all have socks on their ears to make them look like Melody Kingdom ears :3:.

... and that Nautilus' ears have been bound up to straighten them out of their Ripple Kingdom outward curve :gonk:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 1, 2013

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Paul.Power posted:

Just noticed that they all have socks on their ears to make them look like Melody Kingdom ears :3:.

... and that Nautilus' ears have been bound up to straighten them out of their Ripple Kingdom outward curve :gonk:.

The ears thing is the creepiest part of Legato's character so far. Is this guy some kind of rabbit racist? :mad:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

That would be creepy, but I don't think it's the case. Look at the original poster. Her ears look straighter than Nautilus' do now and she also has the ribbons. I think they're purely decorative.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Third Murderer posted:

The ears thing is the creepiest part of Legato's character so far. Is this guy some kind of rabbit racist? :mad:

It's a visual representation of his attempts to shoehorn the heroes into roles they don't entirely fit.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Except what's funny is they seem to fit better than the roles they're already being shoehorned into. Cucumber is supposedly this chosen hero but at ever turn he's looking for some way to get out of this quest either by short-circuiting it in some way or just straight up abandoning it. Basically he'd rather just go to school. Well in Legato's play he gets to be a bush. It's a totally passive role that doesn't even have dialog.

Almond is pretty gung-ho about the quest. The only reason she's not the protagonist of the story is that no one seems to take her seriously in that role. In Legato's play she gets to be a knight, which is basically her only expressed aspiration since the beginning of all this.

With Carrot this maybe breaks down a little bit. On the one hand he doesn't seem like a great a knight. Remember they originally found him in a tree hiding from a toothless bear. But I don't really have some great explanation of how the Madame Tambourine role fits him better other than to point out that he is owning the hell out of it.

And there are other characters in CQ who abuse or don't fit their roles. Cabbage insists that he is a prisoner to get an easy out from taking responsibility during a crisis even though it's clear he could escape any time he wants to. The dream oracle just straight up sucks at her job but is able to just kind of bluster past anyone who questions her on the strength of being THE Dream Oracle. The same thing happens on the villainous side. The disaster masters so far have been total screw-ups but apparently they're always the Nightmare Knight's henchmen because reasons. I guess it's just their job? And then finally the Nightmare Knight himself is a counterpoint to Cucumber. He's the villain. He's SUPPOSED to be the villain. But he just doesn't seem all that into it.

So yeah the play within a play chapter is flipping over one of the established themes of the larger story. I have no idea how bunny ear-socks fit into this.

Heavy Zed fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 3, 2013

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Third Murderer posted:

He just doesn't want any continuity errors with the characters' elaborate backstories.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Legato is the kind of bunny who would insist on his fanfics being canon-friendly or lore-friendly.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Third Murderer posted:

In cute bunny people world, ear-binding is straight-up Cloud Atlas territory.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Heavy Zed posted:

With Carrot this maybe breaks down a little bit. On the one hand he doesn't seem like a great a knight. Remember they originally found him in a tree hiding from a toothless bear. But I don't really have some great explanation of how the Madame Tambourine role fits him better other than to point out that he is owning the hell out of it.

It fits when you consider the entire arc including his introduction. Carrot thinks that he's the noble knight that will bring justice back to the kingdom and live happily ever after with the princess. But really he's the questgiver. The Oracle, being terrible at her job all seeing and willing to test the heroes, gave the sword to Saturday but didn't elaborate on who she was. Carrot not only recognizes and identifies her for Cuco and Almond, he provides background information on the villains, how they took over Caketown, and where Saturday is rumored to keep her loot. And later, he identifies Peridot and informs Cuco and Almond about a port to the Ripple Kingdom. Carrot is a great source of information but a complete waste of a fighter.

EDIT: Apparently I'm the only one that believes Cabbage is Coyote.

Razorwired fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 3, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And Cucumber continues to be the only one with sense.

And Legato looks kind of threatening again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Razorwired posted:

It fits when you consider the entire arc including his introduction. Cabbage thinks that he's the noble knight that will bring justice back to the kingdom and live happily ever after with the princess. But really he's the questgiver. The Oracle, being terrible at her job all seeing and willing to test the heroes, gave the sword to Saturday but didn't elaborate on who she was. Carrot not only recognizes and identifies her for Cabbage and Almond, he provides background information on the villains, how they took over Caketown, and where Saturday is rumored to keep her loot. And later, he identifies Peridot and informs Cuco and Almond about a port to the Ripple Kingdom. Carrot is a great source of information but a complete waste of a fighter.

This is good but you know not everyone is Cabbage right?