Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

I remember Foley saying in his first book that Owen would do things like pull the handbrake on peoples' cars while they were driving. That was written right after he died, so it's probably not a case of a real story growing into a fantastical legend. I have no idea if every single Owen story is true, but I have no reason to doubt that his pranks could go too far sometimes.

Most cars will still move with the handbrake up. It's bad for the handbrake, and if you leave it up you can hurt the tranny, but it's not a situation where the car slams to a stop and you go flying out the windshield.

Someone, I think it was Vince, was known for grabbing the steering wheel and jerking it while the car was moving, poo poo like that will get someone killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

britishbornandbread posted:

I'm the biggest Hart mark in the world and I can tell you as a match Bret v Hogan in 1993 would've been terrible. WWE can't do face v face at the best of times but imagine them trying to main event with it in 1993?!

Hogan submitting to the sharpshooter would've been iconic though.

My dream match as a child. I think Bret Hart working his rear end off could have made it a 3 star match. Hogan passing the torch to Warrior at WM6 was a surprisingly okay so imagine Hogan passing the torch to a guy that can actually wrestle.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red posted:

Yeah, but Owen Hart is usually on the level of "pants Jim Ross while he's in the pool, and throw his swim trunks away, stranding J.R. in the pool".

Then again, I wouldn't have believed the story about all of the (WWF) wrestlers making a habit of going to Harley Race's house for a big BBQ dinner when they visit Kansas City. So when everyone is drinking or somewhere else, Owen dumps a ton of hot sauce into a pot of chili. Predictably, everyone gets wiped out by the hot sauce. Harley Race responds with a stun gun. :stare:

Santino told a story about when he rides with Randy Orton, as a prank, Orton likes to yank on the steering wheel while someone else is driving, forcing them to go into the other lane. But it's totally cool, Orton only does it when there's no traffic coming!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Davros1 posted:

Santino told a story about when he rides with Randy Orton, as a prank, Orton likes to yank on the steering wheel while someone else is driving, forcing them to go into the other lane. But it's totally cool, Orton only does it when there's no traffic coming!

The best thing is if there is a crash the driver would be liable since he should have taken precautions against Orton being a dick and dangerous passenger.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 26, 2013

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

In your opinion, Why has Hulk Hogan's presence and apparent popularity (as gauged by the NOC champs poll) not helped TNA?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

bobkatt013 posted:

The best thing is if there is a crash the driver would be liable since he should have taken percasuens agaist Orton being a dick and dangrous passanger.

It's what happens when you ride with an uncaged viper.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Manwithastick posted:

In your opinion, Why has Hulk Hogan's presence and apparent popularity (as gauged by the NOC champs poll) not helped TNA?

cause it's a poo poo company run by idiots for idiots

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

percasuens

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Manwithastick posted:

There was a huge publicity push for the 1/4/2010 episode of Impact with Hogan doing a press conference at Madison Square Garden, billboards all over Times Square, and a talk/print radio blitz.

Since then: jack poo poo

TNA sucks at promoting their product. Angle and Nash would get asked on the street why they weren't wrestling anymore, even though they were on TNA's show every week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Online polls are not representative of anything and Hogan's popularity hasn't been a business mover for years and years. He at best could be used for once or twice a year nostalgia appearances that with the right promotion could work, but otherwise he's old and overexposed.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Always make sure you take percasuens around a sanem.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Supreme Allah posted:

Always make sure you take percasuens around a sanem.

You seem fusstrated.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Has Eric Bischoff ever commented on how he feels about his "that'll put butts in seats" line?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rarity posted:

Has Eric Bischoff ever commented on how he feels about his "that'll put butts in seats" line?

He does in his book, he gets surly about the "dirt sheets" and doesn't seem to get why people think it was such a big deal, he gave away results all the time, in his mind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Karmine posted:

1-900 hotlines and the Internet basically had inverse trajectories.
I was looking for an elegant way to say that, but you've summed it up perfectly here.

Though for a while, there were internet hotlines. Sort of the precursor to podcasts. WCW would have Chad Damiani or Bob Ryder and later Jeremy Borash do audio updates with all the news just like a hotline, but through realPlayer.

In typical WCW fashion, the way to access these backstage insider news stories was to go to nWo.com, which was a website with nothing on it but two pictures: one of the black and white, and one of the red and black. Both were links to .rp hotline updates about WCW in general played completely out of kayfabe and had nothing to do with the nWo at all.

So not only did they hide their insider hotline from people who legitimately might have wanted to hear them, they wasted a perfectly good opportunity to have a real nWo website to do it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I was looking for an elegant way to say that, but you've summed it up perfectly here.

Though for a while, there were internet hotlines. Sort of the precursor to podcasts. WCW would have Chad Damiani or Bob Ryder and later Jeremy Borash do audio updates with all the news just like a hotline, but through realPlayer.

In typical WCW fashion, the way to access these backstage insider news stories was to go to nWo.com, which was a website with nothing on it but two pictures: one of the black and white, and one of the red and black. Both were links to .rp hotline updates about WCW in general played completely out of kayfabe and had nothing to do with the nWo at all.

So not only did they hide their insider hotline from people who legitimately might have wanted to hear them, they wasted a perfectly good opportunity to have a real nWo website to do it.

The nWo had its own website, it was nwowrestling.com just as WCW's site was WCWwrestling.com

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

How do puro moves that use English words get their names? Stuff like blue thunder driver/fire thunder driver, emerald flowsion, falcon arrow, etc. Is it just weird translation?

English is fashionable in Japan. that's really pretty much it. as for where they come up with the names, they probably just pick things they think sound cool.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

The nWo had its own website, it was nwowrestling.com just as WCW's site was WCWwrestling.com
Yes, and it's the website I'm talking about. I got the URL wrong, but 1997 was a long time ago.

Edit: To clarify and be less of a dick, nWoWrestling.com was a legit nWo site before what I'm talking about. It needed to be retooled, but rather than put any effort into it, they did what I was talking about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Yes, and it's the website I'm talking about. I got the URL wrong, but 1997 was a long time ago.

Edit: To clarify and be less of a dick, nWoWrestling.com was a legit nWo site before what I'm talking about. It needed to be retooled, but rather than put any effort into it, they did what I was talking about.

The nWo site was a real website for as long as I checked it. Unless there was a very brief period where they changed it, whenever there was an nWo they had their own site that pushed the nWo's "message."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRafTer posted:

The nWo site was a real website for as long as I checked it. Unless there was a very brief period where they changed it, whenever there was an nWo they had their own site that pushed the nWo's "message."

What he's talking about definitely existed back in late 1998 and early 1999. Just links to Real Player files.

http://web.archive.org/web/19980201000000*/http://nwowrestling.com

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

What he's talking about definitely existed back in late 1998 and early 1999. Just links to Real Player files.

http://web.archive.org/web/19980201000000*/http://nwowrestling.com

That was for a pretty brief period when the nWo kind of faded out due to Hogan leaving for Football season, but yeah it seems so. Either way for the vast majority of the nWo, they had a site. Sometimes a site and a hotline on the site. Coincidentally that was during the fall of 98, when my interest in WCW was very very low and I had stopped checking!

Edit: my first reply on this matter wasn't meant to be dismissive, I was simply trying to say the nWo had it's own website at nwowrestling.com under the assumption nwo.com existed as just a hotline.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 26, 2013

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

Most cars will still move with the handbrake up. It's bad for the handbrake, and if you leave it up you can hurt the tranny, but it's not a situation where the car slams to a stop and you go flying out the windshield.

Someone, I think it was Vince, was known for grabbing the steering wheel and jerking it while the car was moving, poo poo like that will get someone killed.

So, what you're saying is, handbrakes are less of an "emergency break" and more of an "emergency make the car smell funny lever".

Oh, I miss Mitch Hedberg. :smith:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Online polls are not representative of anything and Hogan's popularity hasn't been a business mover for years and years. He at best could be used for once or twice a year nostalgia appearances that with the right promotion could work, but otherwise he's old and overexposed.
If Hogan was still able to go, would a program between him and Cena do some serious business, moreso than the wwe typical Opponent Of The Month for Cena?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

If Hogan was still able to go, would a program between him and Cena do some serious business, moreso than the wwe typical Opponent Of The Month for Cena?

It would do better than your typical opponent, obviously, but I doubt he'd mean close to what the Rock meant against Cena. It'd be a good Summerslam match.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

It would do better than your typical opponent, obviously, but I doubt he'd mean close to what the Rock meant against Cena. It'd be a good Summerslam match.

Do you think it'd match Hogan/Michaels numbers, or are buyrates like that essentially unobtainable with today's product?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

Do you think it'd match Hogan/Michaels numbers, or are buyrates like that essentially unobtainable with today's product?

I want to say no, but it's hard to know what a Hogan who could wrestle would be like. Maybe he wouldn't come off as such a depressing, pity seeking sad old man. It's hard to imagine Hogan as a guy who could wrestle and make people think he could win a fight.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Does your average fan that would be drawn in by the prospect of Hogan vs. Cena even know Hulk is incapable of walking comfortably?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Does your average fan that would be drawn in by the prospect of Hogan vs. Cena even know Hulk is incapable of walking comfortably?

An extremely large percentage of Impact viewers watch Raw, so around 1/4 of the Raw audience sees it on a weekly basis. I'd imagine many more have been made aware of it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Impact Watchers don't buy PPV in the first place though

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oatgan posted:

Impact Watchers don't buy PPV in the first place though
7,000 of them do. Religiously. It's mind boggling. And then there's 43,000 others who bought Jarrett vs. Raven and Joe vs. Angle, which is even weirder, 'cause it means they have 43,000 fans who are aware enough of their product to buy it and have demonstrated that they will purchase a big match, but TNA only captivated their imaginations twice in their history.

(Going on memory here, but I think that's how it is.)

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Is X-Pac the only person that WWF used a derivative of a created gimmick from another company? He was Syxx in WCW and also commonly called Syxx Pac by nWo members. He played the exact same character.

Why didn't WCW sue WWF for this? WWF threw a poo poo fit over Scott Hall and The Boss so it's weird WCW didn't do the same over X-Pac.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Bubba Grace posted:

Is X-Pac the only person that WWF used a derivative of a created gimmick from another company? He was Syxx in WCW and also commonly called Syxx Pac by nWo members. He played the exact same character.

Why didn't WCW sue WWF for this? WWF threw a poo poo fit over Scott Hall and The Boss so it's weird WCW didn't do the same over X-Pac.

First examples off the top of my head is Boss Man when he joined WCW and was called The Boss. WCW got in hot water and changed his name to The Guardian Angel.
Same thing happened to Earthquake when he was called Avalanche and they were told to stop.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Bubba Grace posted:

My guess is Waltman owns the Syxx-Pac gimmick since he was using it in TNA in 2010.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Make a thread for non rear end in a top hat wrestling stories. I mean I am sure it will end up being mostly Andre and Owen stories but it might be worth to have them all in one place.
I'd love to see more non-rear end in a top hat/good guy/funny wrestling stories, I was seriously tempted to make a thread for them after Beeboo Crawshanks got brought up earlier in the thread & then sticklefifer regaled us with the tale of Beeboo Crawshanks. and it was amazing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The topic of wrestlers being attacked by fans came up a week or so ago and I thought this was an interesting incident from Dave's obit of Angelo Savoldi:

quote:

Savoldi had become (Danny) Hodge’s big rival from the start, with the world junior heavyweight title the eventual goal. They had a series of encounters, leading to a pro wrestling version of a boxing match on May 27, 1960, in Oklahoma City, where Hodge, a former national Golden Gloves champion, faced “Granite Chin.”

During the match, an irate fan, who it turned out was Danny’s father, 50-year-old William Hodge, slashed Savoldi twice across his back with a pocket knife as he was getting heat on Hodge. Savoldi needed more than 70 stitches to close the cuts on his back and arm and William Hodge was arrested. The incident was a major news story locally and got national attention.

Bill Hodge, as he was known, didn’t raise Danny, disappearing from his life working as a roughneck on the oil fields, but reunited with Hodge when he became a college wrestling star, and later attended many of his boxing and pro wrestling matches. Bill Hodge was known as someone with a short fuse, and in the fifth round of the match, he rushed to the ring and slashed Savoldi’s back.

Bill Hodge was spoken to by the media the next day while in jail, saying that he wouldn’t have done anything if this was a pro wrestling match, but a boxing match was different, noting Savoldi was stomping on his son.

“I didn’t say anything last week when he did the same thing in the wrestling ring, but when you put on boxing gloves, there are certain rules you are supposed to follow.”

drat:stare: I know kayfabe was taken far more seriously back then, but you'd think Danny Hodge's dad would've known that this was a worked match unlike the ones during his legit boxing career.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In the early 60's, it was still very common for family to not know about kayfabe. Jake Roberts' dad didn't tell him about wrestling being worked for a LONG time. Including when he came home selling a worked injury incurred from a top rope knee-drop.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Thauros posted:

The topic of wrestlers being attacked by fans came up a week or so ago and I thought this was an interesting incident from Dave's obit of Angelo Savoldi:

drat:stare: I know kayfabe was taken far more seriously back then, but you'd think Danny Hodge's dad would've known that this was a worked match unlike the ones during his legit boxing career.

Listening to Nash and Austin talk on Austin's podcast (and this has been discussed before), it's fascinating to hear them get giddy about old-timey heat, with fans crashing the ring.

Anyways.

---

Q: Owen Hart was a really good wrestler who could've had a great main event run, especially after attacking Shawn at IYH: D-X. Instead, Shawn worked with Undertaker at the next PPV, suffering the back injury that shelved him for 5 years. Austin worked with everyone but over the next few years. Shawn didn't trust Owen because of the Bret thing, so I get it. But was Austin that distrustful of Owen? He did work with him again after the SummerSlam K-Driller (at Survivor Series, in a revenge match), so was Steve willing to work with him again just to finish the angle, or was it something else that prevented the two from working together? Steve sounds very fond of Owen in interviews after Hart's death, but I realize that might be for nostalgia and/or PR.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I've often read that Steve Austin never forgave Owen for breaking his neck and went hunting after he died. Hunting is like therapy for Austin, so people have naturally extrapolated that to mean Austin was grieving after Owen's sudden death because he never ever forgave him when he was alive. I believe Austin said in his biography he expected Owen to do a tombstone and not a seated pile-driver. If you look at some of Owen matches he does usually do the tombstone for that spot.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Austin disliked Owen for quite a while because Owen didn't apologize for breaking Austin's neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Austin gave an interview where he recalled the conversation with Owen about the match. Owen said "I'm just gonna drop to my rear end" and kept repeating it when Austin, who was concerned, talked about the tombstone and Austin figured he was just joking. Then the match happened and welp