Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Party Plane Jones posted:

The armored cars really give you jack poo poo, 4k is a bit of an insult.

It's 4k-8k which is quite a bit when just starting out. And probably will be quite in a bit in GTAO where the stock market can't be gamed with assassination missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

MrFlibble posted:

Speaking of which hoe many heists are there where you can actually improve the skills of your crew? all Heist spoilers In the first heist I lost the cheap gunman doing the smart route and I was only able to hire a hacker on two heists (including the final one). If I started again I'd want to level the cheap guys for a huge take on the final heist, but only levelling a hacker once will probably not hack it, same with gunmen/drivers

Just mentioned in my post above, In the fifth Heist, if you choose the Ninja Skills route, you can use a gunman, hacker, and driver (the fire men route makes you take only 2 gunman). This lets you level that 4% take hacker guy a total of 2 times before your big heist. I don't think you can successfully take a low level gunman to heists and have him survive, so I always choose to take that one you get from the random world event: Packie

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 25, 2013

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone know which properties open up new missions, and which ones just throw money at you occasionally? I'm not really interested in becoming land baron of the year, but if there's some awesome missions I might miss out on I'd like to check that out.

Also, since I feel bad for constantly making GBS threads on the game's flaws, I just have to point out that the soundtrack is friggin' epic. It is an embarrassment of riches, top to bottom. This makes me sound like an old fogey, but I had no idea that "indietronica" or "chillwave" were actual genres - but holy hell is Mirror Park great.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Raimondi posted:

Just mentioned in my post above, In the FIB Heist, if you choose the Ninja Skills route, you can use a gunman, hacker, and driver (the fire men route makes you take only 2 gunman). This lets you level that 4% take hacker guy a total of 2 times before your big heist. I don't think you can successfully take a low level gunman to heists and have him survive, so I always choose to take that one you get from the random world event: Packie

You can take a lovely gunman to approach B of the fifth heist, the FIB building, and he'll make it through if he doesn't take much enemy fire (easy if you're killing dudes quickly and have Franklin or Michael out in front). That's the only situation I've seen where a cheap gunman lives without a scripted sequence killing him, although I haven't played the firefighter method yet. I'm prepping for the last heist so we'll see if the slightly improved Michael Townley fan Norm Richards gets through it without loving it up.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Anyone know which properties open up new missions, and which ones just throw money at you occasionally? I'm not really interested in becoming land baron of the year, but if there's some awesome missions I might miss out on I'd like to check that out.

I haven't bought everything yet but I've gotten quests from the pot store, the taxi depot, and the scrapyard, so far. Nothing really out of the ordinary mission-wise, just some radiant fetch or kill missions. They also don't give you money or increase the value of your business in any way, so there's not much to be gained from them besides passing the time.

Edit: Completely forgot about Trevor's airfield and Michael's Sonar Marina (or whatever it's called). First one gets you a series of airplane and off-road delivery missions, second one gets you two more collectibles quests.

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2013

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Man, I wonder if that Deathmatch Content Creator will be robust enough to recreate the 'OJ Simpson' mode we would play on my old Multi-Theft Auto server way back where everyone on the server would chase a single dude(no shooting) and he would try to avoid them for a set amount of time.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Raimondi posted:

Just mentioned in my post above, In the fifth Heist, if you choose the Ninja Skills route, you can use a gunman, hacker, and driver (the fire men route makes you take only 2 gunman). This lets you level that 4% take hacker guy a total of 2 times before your big heist. I don't think you can successfully take a low level gunman to heists and have him survive, so I always choose to take that one you get from the random world event: Packie

I think Chef is cheaper by a couple percent actually as a gunman, he was 12% in my game.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Obsurveyor posted:

Man, I wonder if that Deathmatch Content Creator will be robust enough to recreate the 'OJ Simpson' mode we would play on my old Multi-Theft Auto server way back where everyone on the server would chase a single dude(no shooting) and he would try to avoid them for a set amount of time.
1 Mini-Cooper
5-15 Big Rigs/Dump trucks/Fire trucks/etc.

:getin:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is the hitchhiker girl in the random event someone you can eventually recruit for heists? I remember there mentions of something like this, but I'm not sure if she is the right one.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is the hitchhiker girl in the random event someone you can eventually recruit for heists? I remember there mentions of something like this, but I'm not sure if she is the right one.

There is an injured girl that you pickup that, yes, you can use.

The other hitchhiker to Vinewood sign is not.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

No, the random event for the driver is up near paleto bay. I'm not sure if she spawns for everyone, but someone mentioned encountering her with Trevor and I found her with Franklin. She's in a crashed car in the middle of the highway and you have to give her a ride back to her safehouse before she dies.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/25/rockstar-confirms-gta-online-micro-transactions-outlines-launch/
Uh oh. Micro-transactions ahoy!

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

quote:

Rockstar clarifies that "you don't have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
They also clarified that everything is cheaper in GTA:O and you earn money much faster than in SP

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Side mission spoilers: I finished the car gathering quest for the epsilon cult, but it won't move on. I have probably slept and played around 20 in game days since i completed it and still nothing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hm, this hitchhiker was up near Mt. Chiliad, guess she's not the right one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Athanatos posted:

There is an injured girl that you pickup that, yes, you can use.

The other hitchhiker to Vinewood sign is not.

This reminds me, why don't these NPCs we find on the street want to ride a motorcycle? I've met two who asked me for rides but balk at the idea of getting on a motorcycle.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Is there a list or guide anywhere at this point detailing how to unlock additional heist members via side missions?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

There's lots of hitchhikers I think, seems a common random event. You should always pick them up with Trevor, and never take them where they want to go.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Stux posted:

Side mission spoilers: I finished the car gathering quest for the epsilon cult, but it won't move on. I have probably slept and played around 20 in game days since i completed it and still nothing.

Stop sleeping and run around for a while.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Behonkiss posted:

Is there a list or guide anywhere at this point detailing how to unlock additional heist members via side missions?

There are two of them in the entire game. The getaway driver who crashes on the northeast highway, and Packie who you act as a getaway driver for as Franklin. Other than that, there are no additional members except the ones who get added from the story.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Crappy Jack posted:

There are two of them in the entire game. The getaway driver who crashes on the northeast highway, and Packie who you act as a getaway driver for as Franklin. Other than that, there are no additional members except the ones who get added from the story.

You can help Packie with any of the characters, it doesn't have to be Franklin. I picked him up as Michael.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Really?! Only two?? in the whole game? I just got the driver last night and was really hoping I had more to find... that's fairly disappointing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

VarXX posted:

They also clarified that everything is cheaper in GTA:O and you earn money much faster than in SP

We'll see how it pans out at launch (income is likely to be semi-slow until they release the online heist missions), but I have a hunch it'll be a repeat of what we saw with Dead Space 3. Sure, you CAN buy your way ahead, but there is never ever sane reason to unless you absolutely must have everything unlocked all at once as soon as humanly possible.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I was driving up by the prison and saw a random event start I pulled up the dirt road and sure enough, the guy pulled a gun on me and took my car. While running around looking for another car I saw a bunch of prison guard looking folk searching around. I'm pretty sure it was a prison break I never heard anything about it on the radio though. In hindsight I should have seen it coming.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Stux posted:

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200299446-Epsilon-mission-not-proceeding-when-delivering-5-cars-in-GTA-V

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Chard posted:

Really?! Only two?? in the whole game? I just got the driver last night and was really hoping I had more to find... that's fairly disappointing.

Regarding heists, just about everything about the system is disappointing. There's only two optional recruits you can stumble across in the entire game, and your team choices are already limited enough that missions come down to basically picking the Good One or the Cheap One. Then there's the fact that there are only two heists in the entire game that offer any sort of decent payout. For such a highly touted feature, they sure blew it, at least in my opinion. I expected to be running jobs and building an empire, picking up recruits as I went and forming a highly trained team of professional robbers. Instead you spend the entire game going on errands for douchebags and getting dicked around just like every other GTA game.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Crappy Jack posted:

Regarding heists, just about everything about the system is disappointing. There's only two optional recruits you can stumble across in the entire game, and your team choices are already limited enough that missions come down to basically picking the Good One or the Cheap One. Then there's the fact that there are only two heists in the entire game that offer any sort of decent payout. For such a highly touted feature, they sure blew it, at least in my opinion. I expected to be running jobs and building an empire, picking up recruits as I went and forming a highly trained team of professional robbers. Instead you spend the entire game going on errands for douchebags and getting dicked around just like every other GTA game.

Your last point is the greatest shame of this otherwise great game. The potential was there for an amazing experience but somehow they rope in the same poo poo that everyone has hated about other GTAs being indebted to some jerkass and having to spend more than half he game as an errand running bitch. This game should have been about Michael, Franklin and Trevor building up a crew and doing job after job instead of "hey the FIB is going to have you run around 75% of the time

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I mean... I'm not regretful that I bought the game, I was just hoping for so much more :sigh: I guess GTAO will have to fill that void.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

And here I thought the heists were the absolute high-point of the game by a pretty wide margin. I really didn't mind the payouts not being regular, because I thought it legitimately worked as a story element. Money isn't everything, anyway.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I can't wait for GTAO because all it will be is just overly planned heists with friends and it will be awesome. Speaking of which, the third (I think) heist has got to be the coolest one I've done so far. They get that really great cinematic touch that I can't get out of Payday 2 whereas Payday 2 I get that difficulty and payoff.

I also think the game is actually ramping up in visuals. The cutscenes are getting better looking and the mornings and nights are looking crisper. Spoilers, 60% up Michael goes back to the intro level. Those cutscenes and the opening area just look gorgeous. I hope there's DLC that opens up that area for GTAO or for a standalone story before the events of GTA 5.

I'm in love with how this game looks. I want this on PC so bad.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Dominic White posted:

And here I thought the heists were the absolute high-point of the game by a pretty wide margin. I really didn't mind the payouts not being regular, because I thought it legitimately worked as a story element. Money isn't everything, anyway.

They were the high point, thats why its so disappointing there are so few of them and you have almost no control over them. I think most people wanted to be planning heists of their own for their own payoff, not for the FIB.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Duggler posted:

Your last point is the greatest shame of this otherwise great game. The potential was there for an amazing experience but somehow they rope in the same poo poo that everyone has hated about other GTAs being indebted to some jerkass and having to spend more than half he game as an errand running bitch. This game should have been about Michael, Franklin and Trevor building up a crew and doing job after job instead of "hey the FIB is going to have you run around 75% of the time

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, and I figured they'd learned their lesson given the convo that Lamar and Franklin have at the beginning of the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Oh, no, they're absolutely fun, it's just I'm really tired of the GTA plot where some powerful rear end in a top hat makes you do stuff for the whole game and then you get mad and shoot them and win. They even have that early Franklin mission that puts a lampshade on the GTA Plot, making me think they learned their lesson and were going to be doing something else where I'm playing a trio of highly motivated and proactive bank robbers who pull off increasingly daring scores for huge payoffs. Yes, it works as a story element. But I'd already seen that story element. I'm tired of it. I want a new story element.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Duggler posted:

Yeah, I've been in denial about it, but now that I've finished the game, you're right :(. I was really psyched that heists were going to be the focus of the game, and was expecting exactly what you were describing, a series of increasingly daring heists, which result in you getting wealthier and more prominent, with some big massive cool thing at the end.

The first heist gave you such a taste of this; the multi-million dollar payout (subtracting Martin's reconstruction fee, but still), the planning, the crew selection, the super expensive property that unlocks afterward that makes you think "eventually I'll be able to afford this $150,000,000 golf course, I can't wait," and so on...and instead we got what we got.

The game is still really fun, mind; the heists are generally tense and fun to play, all that's missing is an actual payout from most of them. It's disappointing and falls short of what it could and should have been, but what we got is still fun in its own right. I just expected it to be more.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It would be cool if the FIB didn't come in until like, the leadup to the last heist of the game and were all "Michael you owe me some favors and I hear your crew is the best around!" and then made it look like they were following the FIB plan but pulled some Ocean's 11 poo poo and twisted it around in some clever way such that they actually did their own heist or something

Would be a lot more satisfying

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think I've played a good quarter of the main story and I just have to say -

I cannot stand the revamped combat system. I was one of the few people who found Max Payne 3's combat to be clunky and joy of joys it appears that GTA has been paying attention.

I just love getting my health chipped away at whenever I pull out of cover, or how about that super finicky lock on system that somehow only works half the time? If it locks on, great, instant kill. If it doesn't you're flailing around like a jackass. It's awkward at the very, very best.

Thank god for the regenerating health - if it wasn't for that this would be nearly unplayable.

I don't understand how the developers think that adding a "skip" option makes the game more accessible - without giving players the ability to dial down the damage enemies throw at you. I'm no slouch at GTA games or shooters, but I've had to retry each shooting checkpoint a few times just to kinda flake a victory.

And the one time I bought body armor it was used up within a few seconds, I died, and when I retried lo-and-behold I don't have the body armor I paid for.

Just... ugh.

You are a bad.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really hate the property missions. Every time Smoke on the Water goes like "Yo Franklin someone jacked our van!" I go to the waypoint, get the objective "Get the van" without anything showing up on the minimap and nothing in sight, despite being on something impossible to hide in like a cliff road and then two seconds later get a text from the property going "Lot of unhappy stoners here man!" and the mission is a complete wash. What the gently caress am I doing wrong?

Also, the combat system is pretty amazing and fun, especially when you get the multiple avenues of attack that have you switch between characters to defend.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I halfway suspect that the heists almost never paying out is a deliberate storytelling device in a crime doesn't pay vein but that doesn't work in a game like GTA because that's the entire loving point of what I'm doing with my character. That being said, as long as I can dock an online crew member some dollas for not getting clean shots and watching their background I'll still be well-satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I played through the whole game with no aim-assist, lock-on or any kind of training wheels and found it to be a moderately challenging shooter, but nothing particularly difficult. Blind-firing from behind cover is way more accurate than you'd expect it to be. Just stock up on ammo and be liberal with your automatic fire.

I can't imagine how ham-handed you'd have to be to find the game unplayably hard even with the ability to automatically lock on and kill just about anything in your path.

• Locked thread