Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zigs, was your dccdpro install on a 5mt or 6mt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
The guy I talked to @ Rocket Rally didn't seem to think it'd be an issue, but he's going to talk to Pat and find out.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Advice/Anecdotal wisdom requested:

I've been driving company cars for the last 10 years, so I've never had to worry about having a commuter-oriented car. I own and drive a 2011 Nissan Titan Pro 4X on the weekends, and enjoy it (I like to camp, do a lot of mountain biking, etc). My company recently switched to a car allowance + gas card setup, so I've been driving my Titan to work every day. Being paid for my own car + free gas sounds great, but I live 80 miles from my office, so I'm throwing oodles of miles on my truck. Tires, maintenance, and depreciation suck, so I'm looking into other options.

I'm thinking of either replacing my truck with something more economical or just adding a commuter to my garage alongside it. No matter how many other cars I consider, I keep coming back to the Outback as the best compromise, and would like some feedback.

I'd rather not buy new because I'll be hitting the thing with a million miles out of the gate and the warranty will be useless for the most part. I can buy a 2010 with 50k/miles for about $17k, and if it can last to 250k I'll get 4 years out of it and be happy.

How reliable in general are the 2010-2011 outbacks if I'm looking to put 50k/yr on one for a 4 year usable lifespan? Any major issues?
Anything to look for when shopping for one?
Any reason to get the auto over the stick? I'd like a stick as I haven't owned one in a while and I don't hit any traffic on my long commute, so it wouldn't be a chore at all.

Any other options for my needs?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pretty good. 2010 is about when they finally started putting metal headgaskets in the ej25. So they won't blow up. Not sure when they started using the new 2.0 engine and cvt but that combo gets REALLY good mileage.

Only reason to get an auto would be if you want a 6 cylinder (great engine, makes about 250hp), because they don't pair them with manuals as far as I know.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
A decent place to get information on Outbacks is http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/ They are on their second generation of the CVT. The first version had issues in some with shifting into reverse after a while. From what I can tell, Subaru did right by the owners on these and made revisions to prevent the problem on the 2nd generation. The 2nd generation is available from 2013 and up. If you get a manual, and there is no reason not to unless you want the 6cyl or your SO can't drive stick, then as far as I know they are all the same from this generation of Outback. My wife's 2013(limited w/CVT) gets decent mileage on road trips for the size and the fact that it is loaded down with all our crap.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I quit my soul-sucking restaurant management job and got a soul-sucking job selling Subarus. Just kidding, this job rules. If you've got any questions on the new model or questions on buying a Subaru, I'd be happy to help!

I had a new exhaust installed on my 2011 WRX last week. It's a homemade contraption that sounds seriously excellent, but I'm sure the rest of the town would disagree because everyone probably hears me leave for work at 6:30 am.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

The plug on the water pump has been leaking moderately (read: manageable but always smells like burning coolant) so I purchased the correct pump and installed it this past weekend. This time around I purchased a Beck/Arnley pump, part #1312445 (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4752291&cc=1440451). I also used a Beck/Arnley gasket, part #0394165 (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1999454&cc=1440451), which is a steel gasket and doesn't require using RTV during assembly.

Starting the process... again. This time around was faster obviously, now knowing exactly what to expect and the little "gotchas" I ran into last time.

Drained the coolant and pulled the radiator.

Belts off and ready to remove the timing belt cover.

Timing pulleys and belt off. Water pump removed. I used the gasket that came with the Gates pump last time, which required RTV to be applied. Sealed well but a pain to clean off the block.

New pump in. Hazzah!

Pulleys reinstalled, timing set.

Cover and accessory belts reinstalled.

Radiator back in and hoses hooked up. I filled the engine with coolant and noticed a small leak from the thermostat housing. :wtc: Drain it again (I'm getting good at this by now) and remove the housing. It had some serious pitting along where the thermostat gasket seals so I cleaned up the surface.

OooOoo... Shiny. Reassembled and filled. Everything is A OK.

So now I have this 3 port water pump just kickin' around that I'll never use. It came with a Gates Timing Belt Kit, part #TCKWP328SF (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4374219&cc=1440451). I believe it is a Gates 43548 (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1390517&cc=1440451) but there are no markings on the pump to confirm this. I originally received two gasket sets with it so I even have the matching gasket set! Note that the description for the pump says the gasket is a "No Sealant Required" gasket but the instructions that came with the pump indicated that a thin layer of RTV should be applied to both sides of the gasket prior to installation. Throw me a few bucks and pay for shipping and I'll send this your way! I'd like to see it go to use somewhere rather than sit around collecting dust.

Edit: Forgot to mention the pump only has about 1000 miles on it.

Frankenstein fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 26, 2013

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

jamal posted:

Only reason to get an auto would be if you want a 6 cylinder (great engine, makes about 250hp), because they don't pair them with manuals as far as I know.

They don't on the new ones, it was the first thing I asked for. :saddowns:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

No H6 has come with a manual behind it except maybe the old irrelevant EA motors. EG33 EZ30D EZ30R EZ36R = no row your own gears.

edit: should have clarified in the USDM market...

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 26, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

No H6 has come with a manual behind it except maybe the old irrelevant EA motors. EG33 EZ30D EZ30R EZ36R = no row your own gears.

Unless you're Dyne :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Inexplicably Australia got a 6-speed manual behind their 3.0R Liberty, but North America was left out. Probably because our hambeast hamfists would ruin it, more likely because SoA didn't want to deal with recertifying it for everything.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Sockington posted:

Unless you're Dyne :allears:

And it's great :)

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I started the motor! 02 WRX swap into my wagon rally car! Open downpipe so turn down your volume. I love it!

The ignition key didn't want to start it so I had to jump the starter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fCngauy098

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnaHpFJEOtY

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Okay after making the exhaust quiet, I notice this strange rattle/buzz coming from near the turbo. Any ideas? All heatshields have been taken off, up-pipe is catless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7gWfzPmw-c

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Sounds kind of like a leak. Maybe the welds on that downpipe or the flange isn't sealing fully.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

jamal posted:

Sounds kind of like a leak. Maybe the welds on that downpipe or the flange isn't sealing fully.

Aha! If I play with the wastegate actuator arm, and push down in the right spot, the noise goes away completley. Now how to fix..

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Tighten up the arm? Or maybe those aren't threaded. You could possibly bend the bracket a touch. It might just go away when the car gets warmed up.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

jamal posted:

Tighten up the arm? Or maybe those aren't threaded. You could possibly bend the bracket a touch. It might just go away when the car gets warmed up.

Bam! Tightened the arm up and now it sounds loving sweet. Thanks!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Inexplicably Australia got a 6-speed manual behind their 3.0R Liberty, but North America was left out. Probably because our hambeast hamfists would ruin it, more likely because SoA didn't want to deal with recertifying it for everything.

And it's a sweeeeeet setup too. I never understood why anyone wants to have a slushbox behind that motor, it's fun to rev out

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

So, follow up to my bad transfer case bearings. Had the repair done today, cost me about $900 because I needed a new driveshaft as well, which I was lucky my tuner had a used one for $150. They showed me the bearings, two of them (the ones that are connected to the driveshaft) had nicks all over their "rollers". All in all, I regret going back to regular gear oil and I'm kicking myself for not using the Andrewtech Cocktail again.

Yakattak fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 28, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone know what the TPS voltage should be at idle and WOT on an ej20k?

I think 0.5v->~5.0v but want to make sure. It's a three plug ECU so it's a positive voltage change as throttle is applied. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Since I'm asking anyways, anyone know where you can find one of those pin-like probes that you can insert alongside a wire in a plug/connector to be able to read voltage off of it? Or what that would be called? Saw one in a youtube video and it looks like a game changer.

VVV not the multimeter, this is a pin that you insert alongside the wire that's in a connector so you don't have to remove insulation along it to check the voltage. You'd be touching the multimeter probe to the pin once it's in place.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 28, 2013

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That is a multimeter.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

VVV not the multimeter, this is a pin that you insert alongside the wire that's in a connector so you don't have to remove insulation along it to check the voltage. You'd be touching the multimeter probe to the pin once it's in place.

That's a multimeter with alligator clips attached to a sewing needle.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!
Heya! I have an 09 WRX and over the last 5 years and 67k miles the suspension has gone from pleasantly stiff to road bump X-RAY and i'd like to move that back in the other direction.

What should I be looking to replace achieve this goal? I've traditionally sold my cars before they get to this point but I want to keep this thing longer.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Maybe in the stupid question thread, but what do you guys think my 06 9-2x Aero 5mt is worth on the market? Very good condition, HIDs, leather, OEM 17s (all options except sunroof, basically), 69k miles. KBB says 12ish but I'm seeing worse ones for similar or higher. I have to inventory all my assets for something; not planning on selling anytime soon.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Qapf posted:

Heya! I have an 09 WRX and over the last 5 years and 67k miles the suspension has gone from pleasantly stiff to road bump X-RAY and i'd like to move that back in the other direction.

What should I be looking to replace achieve this goal? I've traditionally sold my cars before they get to this point but I want to keep this thing longer.

Oem suspension and stock sized wheels?
New dampers. OEM-type or bilstiens would be my rec.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

nm posted:

Oem suspension and stock sized wheels?

Yes and yes

Edit: Something like these things? http://cygnusperformance.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1341&category_id=187 and should I look to getting the springs they are pimping as well?

Qapf fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 29, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah those are pretty good, and I know a guy who can get them for you. The stock 09 springs are a little on the soft side for those so I would definitely get the springs too. The other option would be konis, which are less, work ok with your existing springs, but require a little cutting and drilling to install the fronts.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

Yeah those are pretty good, and I know a guy who can get them for you. The stock 09 springs are a little on the soft side for those so I would definitely get the springs too. The other option would be konis, which are less, work ok with your existing springs, but require a little cutting and drilling to install the fronts.

And by a little cutting and drilling, a Sawzall with a long Metal cutting blade and a drill with a metal bit is really all you need.

3 beer job, tops.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I had an extra key made for my outback. It doesn't have the remote controls on it, it's just a key. Anyhow, my wife went to start the car tonight and suddenly, her key (full-featured, original) didn't work. I don't know if it worked before, but I assume it did. My key still works fine. The remote buttons (lock, unlock, etc.) all work fine on both our keys. When I had the new key made, I only gave them my key, hers was an hour away. So, when they make a new key like that, do they wipe the car's list of accepted signatures and just give it a new list based on the keys they have, or what? That's all I can come up with. Her key can turn on all the accessories and whatnot, but when you try to actually start the engine, it's unresponsive. I'm assuming it's because the car isn't accepting her key anymore and the interlock is preventing the car from starting, and I'm guessing that's because of the process they used for making the new key wiped it.

Just curious if I'm way off base here. The place we got the car from is 45 minutes away and if this is messed up because they hosed it up or didn't tell me to bring ALL the keys, I'll be damned if I'm going to make an hour and a half round trip for that, they can work it out with the local dealer and I'll go there instead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I had an extra key made for my outback. It doesn't have the remote controls on it, it's just a key. Anyhow, my wife went to start the car tonight and suddenly, her key (full-featured, original) didn't work. I don't know if it worked before, but I assume it did. My key still works fine. The remote buttons (lock, unlock, etc.) all work fine on both our keys. When I had the new key made, I only gave them my key, hers was an hour away. So, when they make a new key like that, do they wipe the car's list of accepted signatures and just give it a new list based on the keys they have, or what? That's all I can come up with. Her key can turn on all the accessories and whatnot, but when you try to actually start the engine, it's unresponsive. I'm assuming it's because the car isn't accepting her key anymore and the interlock is preventing the car from starting, and I'm guessing that's because of the process they used for making the new key wiped it.

Just curious if I'm way off base here. The place we got the car from is 45 minutes away and if this is messed up because they hosed it up or didn't tell me to bring ALL the keys, I'll be damned if I'm going to make an hour and a half round trip for that, they can work it out with the local dealer and I'll go there instead.

You're probably right.

Each make (and sometimes models and model years within makes) handles this differently. I believe Subarus dump all the keys and fobs when you add a new one, so you have to have all the keys and fobs you want to operate the car present when you add the new one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Blah. That seems like something they might have mentioned, considering they sold me the car less than a week ago. Y'know, just "Okay, BRING ALL THE KEYS OR THE ONES YOU DON'T WON'T WORK." Sort of a critical detail.

Although both fobs still work: we can unlock/lock/etc the car with both keys. Hers just won't start it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Oh my god the Q300 was so easy to install and it sounds amazing and it's everything I ever wanted aaaa :circlefap:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Nice. Good to hear.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Sold my first Subaru on Friday! I was hired for a non-sales position, but they let me go through the process of selling a BRZ to my friend so that I could get my first taste of car salesmanship. :woop:

The trade-in we got from him came with Eibach sways and a Cobb turboback exhaust. I offered to donate my stock parts if the dealership wanted to take the car back to stock for selling it.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
So, this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uap7zZ9pLM

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So the speed sensor on my impreza died, I got a mechanic to replace it amongst other things, apparently it must have been dying when the last owners sold the car and they couldn't figure it out, so their mechanic unplugged nearly all the sensors in the car and put most of them back wrong :stare:. I'm hoping it was just an apprentice, couldn't that gently caress some poo poo up? The mechanic said apart from that the cars in excellent condition though which makes me happy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So the speed sensor on my impreza died, I got a mechanic to replace it amongst other things, apparently it must have been dying when the last owners sold the car and they couldn't figure it out, so their mechanic unplugged nearly all the sensors in the car and put most of them back wrong :stare:. I'm hoping it was just an apprentice, couldn't that gently caress some poo poo up? The mechanic said apart from that the cars in excellent condition though which makes me happy.

You absolutely need to go back as soon as you can and get them to fix their mistakes. The longer you wait the less responsibility they'll be willing to take for it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VelociBacon posted:

You absolutely need to go back as soon as you can and get them to fix their mistakes. The longer you wait the less responsibility they'll be willing to take for it.

It was the last owners mechanic and my mechanic said that the car is in far better shape than 90% of cars he sees at that age and doesn't appear to be worse for wear. The car is from interstate, should I still call them up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

It was the last owners mechanic and my mechanic said that the car is in far better shape than 90% of cars he sees at that age and doesn't appear to be worse for wear. The car is from interstate, should I still call them up?

Sorry, I totally misread your post. I think it's a bit unreasonable to call up the previous shop at this point. I don't understand to be honest how a sensor could be put back on 'wrong' unless you mean that things like the IACV and such aren't adjusted correctly. What issues are these sensors causing? Or was this a typical case of your mechanic patting himself on the back at the expense of the 'other shop you went to'?