Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm getting worried. The latest live event has been officially announced and it's not yet available at my local theater that has shown all the previous ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm getting worried. The latest live event has been officially announced and it's not yet available at my local theater that has shown all the previous ones.

Did you check through the Fathom Events page AND your local theater's webpage?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Canned Panda posted:

Did you check through the Fathom Events page AND your local theater's webpage?

Yes. It just says they'll email me when showtimes are available. Tickets are usually available the day the show is announced.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yes. It just says they'll email me when showtimes are available. Tickets are usually available the day the show is announced.

Try calling the theater directly and asking for the manager. They may need to sign off on something on their end to get the showtimes listed. I had that problem with my theater for the Starship Troopers show.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could also just go to the theater and buy the tickets. I bought the Starship Troopers tickets like a week and a half in advance at the theater. Saved those online fees, and any time I tried to buy tickets in advance on one of those websites for Rifftrax, the tickets can never be found at one of those kiosks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I bought a DVD full of old trailers, and was surprised to see the trailer for Guy from Harlem on there. It's about what you'd expect, except there's no Harry. Also the full unriffed movie is on YouTube if you think you're some sort of bad dude who can watch it without riffing.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Two new VOD shorts are up of Nineties Cyber Thrillers and Villains. Downloading now to see whats up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

therealjon_ posted:

Two new VOD shorts are up of Nineties Cyber Thrillers and Villains. Downloading now to see whats up.

The Cyber Thrillers is new, but the Villains is a compilation.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Looks like Rifftrax plans on branching out in a few new directions. On FB today they posted that they are looking for animators. And in today's interview at the Gamelogical Society, Mike mentions a strong possibility that they might do some sort of video game-based riffs.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Everything Counts posted:

Looks like Rifftrax plans on branching out in a few new directions. On FB today they posted that they are looking for animators. And in today's interview at the Gamelogical Society, Mike mentions a strong possibility that they might do some sort of video game-based riffs.

I think the latter may be strongly inspired by Mike's appearance on a couple of Lowtax's most recent Let's Plays.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

I think the latter may be strongly inspired by Mike's appearance on a couple of Lowtax's most recent Let's Plays.

More Dontrel the Dolphin!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm in the mood for a new Rifftrax, but I'm not sure what to get. I currently have:

• The Guy From Harlem
  • Futurezone
  • Cool As Ice
  • House on Haunted Hill (Mike Solo)
  • The Room
  • Birdemic
  • Halloween
  • Roadhouse
  • Jaws

And I've seen the first Twilight. Any others that I can't miss?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Titanic is three solid hours of comedy gold.

Twilight sequels.

Transformers

The Day After Tomorrow

X-Men movies

The Avengers

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Viva Knievel! is really fun.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I just finished Prisoners of the Lost Universe and that was pretty good.

Also Buffalo Rider

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, Buffalo Rider is a must-own VOD.

Especially if you love insane, surrealist kids movies about animal torture and dudes karate chopping Indians.

Which you should. :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Especially if you love insane, surrealist kids movies about animal torture and dudes karate chopping Indians.

Buffalo Rider was for kids? I had literally no idea who that movie was for other than people who hate animals.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Don't forget the folksy narration, non-folksy part-time narration, and a main star with no lines and a face you never see.

I'd say Buffalo Rider, Guy From Harlem, and Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny are the three "must have" VODs.

And throw in Setting Up A Room if extra-long shorts count as VODs.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Silent Rage is goddamn hilarious, well worth checking out for some hot Chuck Norris action.

Really the only VOD I find hard to watch is Tourist Trap ... that movie is so awkward.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm in the mood for a new Rifftrax, but I'm not sure what to get. I currently have:

• The Guy From Harlem
  • Futurezone
  • Cool As Ice
  • House on Haunted Hill (Mike Solo)
  • The Room
  • Birdemic
  • Halloween
  • Roadhouse
  • Jaws

And I've seen the first Twilight. Any others that I can't miss?

If you have Futurezone you probably need to see Futureforce. You absolutely need to see The Apple.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All the suggestions here are good ones. But the truth is that you really can't go wrong with any of the VODs they've done so far. They're all great.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

You absolutely need to see The Apple.

It has become one of my favorites, contending with Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Roadhouse and Guy from Harlem

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

therealjon_ posted:

Really the only VOD I find hard to watch is Tourist Trap ... that movie is so awkward.

Because it's a legitimately competent and creepy movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The only thing creepy about that film is how much the director seemed to enjoy watching women suffering.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm writing up an article on the most bizarre/WTF Rifftrax shorts and I need suggestions. Here are some that I'm already aware of:

- A Visit to Santa
- Drugs are Like That
- One Got Fat
- If Mirrors Could Speak
- Safety: Harm Hides at Home
- Why Doesn't Cathy Eat Breakfast?/Petaluma Chicken
- Christmas Toyshop (AKA the dog-faced spider from my nightmares)
- Christmas Dream
- William's Doll
- The Calendar: How to Use It
- Magical Disappearing Money
- Join Hands, Let Go
- Setting Up a Room
- What is Nothing?
- At Your Fingertips: Grasses
- Paper and I

I'm not looking for so much the best Rifftrax shorts, but the most head-scratching. The ones that make you wonder what the hell the people who made them were even thinking. I also seem to remember a short with a kid finding magic shoes, but I can't remember what it's called.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The one you're looking for is Let's Pretend - Magic Sneakers.

Also you gotta have Feelings - Feeling Alone as it is more likely to cause viewers to suffer from depression rather than learn anything. Seriously it seems the only point is to cause the viewer to feel pain.

Also I have no clue what's going on in The Creeps Machine.

I'm sure I can add many more to your list, but those two are seriously near the top of the inexplicable existence list.

EDIT: Oh God, how did I forget Friends? That one is a helluva head scratcher.

X-O fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 30, 2013

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Gavok posted:

I'm writing up an article on the most bizarre/WTF Rifftrax shorts and I need suggestions. Here are some that I'm already aware of:

Courtesy Counts a Lot and Three Magic Words

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Gavok posted:

Perc! Pop! Sprinkle!
Toaster movements.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
Courtesy- A Good Eggsample, if less for the actual content than that someone thought a stop motion short themed around eggs and mind-rendingly terrible synthesizer music was a good idea.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don't forget the Norman shorts.

Otherwise, ones that weren't mentioned:
Tic Toc Timeclock (Just for how weirdly it presented itself)
Dinosaurs - The Age of the Terrible Lizard
The Clean Club
The Calendar - How To Use It (See the above)
One Turkey, Two Turkey
Watch Out For My Plant
What Is Nothing?
Join Hands, Let Go
Courtesy Counts A Lot (it goes on forever)
Vision In The Forest
Safety: Harm Hides At Home

Oh god I have 149 shorts in iTunes. :stonk:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Gavok, you can't just speak about one At Your Fingertips short. I mean, Grasses is madness, but you need to also cover Boxes and Cylinders for the full effect.

Also, I hope they get their hands on the other 2 AYF shorts asap.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Also, I hope they get their hands on the other 2 AYF shorts asap.

Don't you mean, get them at their fingertips?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Despite the movie's plot being pretty awful, they really nailed the visual style and general aesthetic. It reminds me of another once-riffed sentient figure movie, Devil Doll, where the script is total birdcage liner but the movie is still entirely watchable because of the atmosphere it builds.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Isn't there some story behind a lot of those where the government had a slush fund for educational films so these mobbed up producers would take $100,000 and make a $50 movie about Cylinders or Norman?

All the ones that make no sense seem to fit this profile.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Seems like in the "WTF" category you could pretty much list every short made from about '65 t '80. The '50s shorts were all about Norman Rockwell conformity, but usually have some bland educational value. But those '60s and '70s shorts don't teach anything other than "don't do drugs while making films aimed at school children".

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Isn't there some story behind a lot of those where the government had a slush fund for educational films so these mobbed up producers would take $100,000 and make a $50 movie about Cylinders or Norman?

Yeah, this is the only explanation I can think of for Join Hands, Let Go!...that one is just insanity in its most concentrated form.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's a "skit" at the end of Magic Sneakers that is basically "we did a lot of drugs back then".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Don't forget to do the Zoidberg.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

That was exactly what those shorts were for, although I'm not sure if it was necessarily about organized crime. Making films like that were subsidized by the government, so if you went under-budget, you kept the remainder.

Someone in this thread explained that the Norman shorts existed because some movie channel had small 15 min gaps between movies, and they needed something to fill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

MisterBibs posted:

Someone in this thread explained that the Norman shorts existed because some movie channel had small 15 min gaps between movies, and they needed something to fill it.

It was Showtime. When HBO first started out, they'd have filler films of a guy riding a bike through the park.

• Locked thread